• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Does Fortnite's characters even have a name, like Steve from Minecraft? What would you even call them if they got in?

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
How would you feel if Smash Ultimate was delayed for 6 months in order to add more characters in the game? Wou
Legitimately I don't understand how Western people don't know who Ridley is. I mean it's a smaller group I'm guessing, but still really odd. Metroid isn't a huge selling franchise but like you said he's appeared in Smash several times, and Smash is huge. Anyone who's been part of Smash speculation since the Brawl days should have an idea of who Ridley is.
Because there are many people who play video games casually and do not look up information or go on forums that discuss characters of other video games (Smash Boards).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
How would you feel if Smash Ultimate was delayed for 6 months in order to add more characters in the game? Wou

Because there are many people who play video games casually and do not look up information or go on forums that discuss characters of other video games (Smash Boards).
I'd be miffed but I'm getting Ridley anyway, even adding Faye would be acceptable to me

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I'd be initially upset, but wouldn't mind in the end. More content with heart put into it for the consumer

osby

Smash Obsessed

I want Sakurai to go into a proper holiday once, as soon as possible, is it too much to ask?

The game already has more than enough content imo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
How would you feel if Smash Ultimate was delayed for 6 months in order to add more characters in the game?
I would've bought a Switch way too early for no reason then. Like, Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are fine, but come on man. :4pacman: I know what I bought the console for.

Last edited:

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Does Fortnite's characters even have a name, like Steve from Minecraft? What would you even call them if they got in?
if fortnite gets acknowledged in any way shape or form no matter how minor i would die instantly. dont do it

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
It'd depend on the newcomers I suppose. I mean, I got my BIG request in, so I can't really complain about current representation. Of course, there are other characters I'd like to get in as well (aka, those in my sig), but I'm not sure if I'd personally like a delay just to get them in. At that point just put them as DLC.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Sakurai is not adding Steve to smash bros. To fancy this idea is to accept despair. Sakurai likes to stay true to a character's origin, so trying to make Steve look even remotely playable and feel like Mine-craft without looking Severely out of place in Smash will be next to impossible. You want Steve to look like a normal human? Steve must be block-esque and have mine-craft movements for it to feel like a mine-craft character which again is very very out of place with Smash. Goku would fit in with his goofy self than steve.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
What is everyone's "Ideal" situation for Microsoft properties in Smash, assuming something does happen there?

You don't have to include each of the categories I'm listing, in fact "No Microsoft representation" is a completely understandable answer.

For me personally...

Character: Master Chief. I don't feel that there's a character who represents both the past and future of Microsoft better. He's been around since the original Xbox, he's beyond iconic, and we could create one hell of a console war matchup with Snake, Samus, and Master Chief all on the battlefield at one time. Plus Master Chief is arguably the best character to be the "First Person Shooter" character, though that point is rather minor imo.

Stage: Minecraft. A procedurally generated stage that covers the various different biomes from Minecraft and having a completely different layout every time. With hazards on, the stage could have a day-night cycle where monsters appear at night. With hazards off, the day-night cycle can still happen with no monsters. Minecraft would make an incredible stage, but imo, an incredibly bad/undesirable character.

Assist Trophy: Banjo & Kazooie. A lot of people would be upset about this, I know. But Bomberman, a classic legend, was also relegated to AT status. I personally feel that, while B&K represent a corner of classic Nintendo, the duo wouldn't be an ideal situation for Microsoft. As far as we know, they have no upcoming anything that hyping up Banjo & Kazooie would benefit when they could have Sakurai add Master Chief instead who is a better overall representative of Microsoft and has a clearly defined future. Of course, one does have to consider Phil Spencer consistently saying he'd be cool with B&K being in Smash, but that doesn't necessarily mean playable or even the preference for a playable character.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sakurai is not adding Steve to smash bros. To fancy this idea is to accept despair. Sakurai likes to stay true to a character's origin, so trying to make Steve look even remotely playable and feel like Mine-craft without looking Severely out of place in Smash will be next to impossible. You want Steve to look like a normal human? Steve must be block-esque and have mine-craft movements for it to feel like a mine-craft character which again is very very out of place with Smash. Goku would fit in with his goofy self than steve.

That's a lame excuse, no offense.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
BTW why are people talking Steve again? Like it was part of a leak he was in right?

They did game & watch for melee. We just got Wii Fitt Trainer and freaking Pacman.

Aesthetic oddity or need for tweaking to make a decent play style will not stop Sakurai if he wants to put steve in. He's put in other characters which were a much more difficult challenge.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
What is everyone's "Ideal" situation for Microsoft properties in Smash, assuming something does happen there?

You don't have to include each of the categories I'm listing, in fact "No Microsoft representation" is a completely understandable answer.

For me personally...

Character: Master Chief. I don't feel that there's a character who represents both the past and future of Microsoft better. He's been around since the original Xbox, he's beyond iconic, and we could create one hell of a console war matchup with Snake, Samus, and Master Chief all on the battlefield at one time. Plus Master Chief is arguably the best character to be the "First Person Shooter" character, though that point is rather minor imo.

Stage: Minecraft. A procedurally generated stage that covers the various different biomes from Minecraft and having a completely different layout every time. With hazards on, the stage could have a day-night cycle where monsters appear at night. With hazards off, the day-night cycle can still happen with no monsters. Minecraft would make an incredible stage, but imo, an incredibly bad/undesirable character.

Assist Trophy: Banjo & Kazooie. A lot of people would be upset about this, I know. But Bomberman, a classic legend, was also relegated to AT status. I personally feel that, while B&K represent a corner of classic Nintendo, the duo wouldn't be an ideal situation for Microsoft. As far as we know, they have no upcoming anything that hyping up Banjo & Kazooie would benefit when they could have Sakurai add Master Chief instead who is a better overall representative of Microsoft and has a clearly defined future. Of course, one does have to consider Phil Spencer consistently saying he'd be cool with B&K being in Smash, but that doesn't necessarily mean playable or even the preference for a playable character.
Including Banjo-Kazooie would be points forwards nolstagia and the “most-wanted” factor as he has a sizeable following. Most people who were fans of the games back then.

Steve? has the marketable factor considering how much of a money maker the series is. Plus, including him would encourage players who maybe be unfamiliar with Smash to pick it up. The most casual of Casuals will eat him up.

Master Chief is apart of the “that character” factor. Like Mega Man and Sonic are the platform characters. Ryu is Mr Fighting Game. Snake is the face of stealth based adventure games. Bayonetta is Ms Hack and Slash. Cloud is the face of JRPG’s. Master Chief is the poster boy of first person shooters. Plus, an excellent foil for Samus.

I’m torn between Banjo and the Chief.

BTW why are people talking Steve again? Like it was part of a leak he was in right?
Because of me since I used him of an example of a character I absolutely don’t want but went about showing that is a non-dickish way.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I mean a leak did say something about Minecraft, but that's hardly the reason he gets discussed. He gets discussed because Minecraft has been a ridiculously large worldwide phenomenon that has gone from indie game to one of Microsoft Gaming's largest assets. They've put Minecraft on basically every device and everyone knows what it is. As far as "deserving third parties" go, Minecraft is actually easily one of the most deserving. It's just ugly aesthetically so many of us try to shoot down the idea of it, even if it's really logical.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Microsoft option?

Character: Fulgore. Easily. Already has a moveset that can be changed up just a tad, with two major sources to go off of(his original Killer Instinct appearances, where he's a shotoclone, and the latest game, which changes a lot of characters up to help differentiate them. Though the fact that Rare isn't the developer anymore does have something to do with that possibly).

Steve? and Master Chief are easily one of my other two choices. Steve? isn't hard to fit in, as his actual character design, while still blocky, has far more serviceable models in the series that look far more colorful. The blocky movements wouldn't be different from Mr. Game & Watch and very easy to make work. The only thing that is at best needed is figuring out a really fun to use moveset. But otherwise, pretty easy to make playable. Highly popular, iconic(while the name isn't that easy to recognize, the design is. It also helps to keep in mind Steve? was first a name created by the fans, not the original developers, which is why he was never marketed as a name first. Hence, only the design would be iconic in comparison). For Master Chief, the biggest hurdle is Nintendo and Microsoft fully agreeing to have the character in more than a cameo role on another competitor's game(from Microsoft's point of view, this could be an issue. Nintendo might not mind, an Sakurai likely cares little for that).

Stage: Not counting at least one KI stage, I'd love to see something from Halo. I forget the locations due to not playing any of the campaigns yet.

Assist Trophy: Banjo & Kazooie are one option, though I'd love to see the Battletoads do stuff too. There's a lot of Rare properties that could work, but that's what I feel is the best way to do it if it's specifically Fulgore(or a Killer Instinct character). Focus more on Rare for Smash stuff to some degree.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

As long as it is to add characters I selfishly want or to revamp (like, BIG changes) to some of my disappointing veterans.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I mean a leak did say something about Minecraft, but that's hardly the reason he gets discussed. He gets discussed because Minecraft has been a ridiculously large worldwide phenomenon that has gone from indie game to one of Microsoft Gaming's largest assets. They've put Minecraft on basically every device and everyone knows what it is. As far as "deserving third parties" go, Minecraft is actually easily one of the most deserving. It's just ugly aesthetically so many of us try to shoot down the idea of it, even if it's really logical.
That's definitely not the only reason people shoot it down. I only ever played Minecraft briefly, not the super early days, Endermen were a thing, but early enough that it was still a new thing, and I honestly don't know what transpired between the internet and Minecraft but they really started to slowly hate the game.

I don't know why honestly. I get that it's audience are children which puts people off but that's not really a reason to hate the game. I get changes were made but everything I ever heard were additions to it not subtractions, and I thought they were pretty cool, so I don't get why that's reason to hate the game. I get Notch is kind of a controversial figure, but that doesn't feel like the reason either.

I really don't know why online communities hate Minecraft, but they do, and I know people will be furious if steve ever made it

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm just tired of all the negativity surrounding Corrin.

Like they ignore all the good points, and just repeat the same few things. Like I think Corrin has a slew of problems. I still like them.

I'm ****ing frustrated by having multiple people in this thread ask me if I've played Fates when I say I like Corrin.

Like **** you, yeah I did. Don't try to ****ing gatekeeper me and imply I must be an ignorant child because I must not actually know what the character is like if I'm okay with them.

I'm tired of people saying they ruined the roster.

I'm tired of people saying their fans are blind.

You wanna know who I don't like at all? Villager! I think Animal Crossing is pointless garbage. There's no darn point to it. Even Wii Fit has a point. But if I started saying everything I thought about Animal Crossing, I'd be crucified.

I'm just tired of all the complaining.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Ugly aethetically?

The voxel art style is what made me interested in Minecraft in the first place. I find the minimalist cubic designs of the mobs in the game are very endearing and some of the environments that spawn can be breathtaking despite being made up of pixelated cubes.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ah, I see you are a man of taste as well.
I'm a woman, but yes.

Killer Instinct is one of my favorite fighting series. I own every main game. I'd love to get at least one Arcade Cabinet, but that's severely pricey. Maybe if I win the lottery or something?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
If it came to Microsoft characters being in Smash Bros, I'd personally rank it as: Master Chief > Banjo and Kazooie > Steve (least favourite option personally) >Jago/Kilgore = Battletoads = Gears of War character

Master Chief could be a good foil to Samus and good rivalry, though the Halo series has nothing to do with Nintendo outside of MineCraft skins appearing in the Nintendo Switch version. (though I gotta admit, Halo Infinite's trailer looked absolutely gorgeous)

Banjo and Kazooie have nostalgia and fan-demand out of all the Microsoft characters and relatively strong ties to Nintendo, but aren't really doing much these days.

MineCraft is what it is, though I'm admittedly neutral or absolutely against the idea of Steve for some reason. Maybe I'm just not at all interested in MineCraft and don't understand the hype?

Jago/FULGORE (not the Bastion expy Kilgore)would kinda overlap with Ryu, being a combo-heavy grounded fighter from a 2D fighter.

On a separate topic, tying in with the Ashley discussion earlier, maybe I'll post a hypothetical moveset I threw together this afternoon for some feedback...

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Like they ignore all the good points, and just repeat the same few things. Like I think Corrin has a slew of problems. I still like them.

I'm ****ing frustrated by having multiple people in this thread ask me if I've played Fates when I say I like Corrin.

Like **** you, yeah I did. Don't try to ****ing gatekeeper me and imply I must be an ignorant child because I like I must not actually know what the character is like if I'm okay with them.

You wanna know who I don't like at all? Villager! I think Animal Crossing is pointless garbage. There's no darn point to it. Even Wii Fit has a point. But if I started saying everything I thought about Animal Crossing, I'd be crucified.

Calm down. I like other FE games, especially the NES/SNES set (I like the slower pace), just not much of the 3DS saga as much as it helped revive the series. And I found Fates to be pretty eugh. Although the use of Corrin to promote Fates was all intended and well-used, I didn't really see much of a point in adding him/her. With Sakurai making his own concerned comments, its easy to see why people can be upset. :smirk: I'll unlock Corrin in Ultimate and use him in Classic for his trophy, but I'll just not touch him for the rest of my experience. I can tolerate Corrin's presence, I'm not such a lunatic to where I won't buy the game if he's in it.

I'm a woman, but yes.

Killer Instinct is one of my favorite fighting series. I own every main game. I'd love to get at least one Arcade Cabinet, but that's severely pricey. Maybe if I win the lottery or something?
The man part was just reciting the meme line.
I have KI on the SNES, but I've played the arcade version before. It's good fun.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Not to say you're unjustified in your frustration, one character does not a ruined roster make, nor should people attempt to shame or utilize elitism to judge other's character preferences.

Howeverbuttsclench

I think to compare for example whether Corrin or Villager deserve to be in Smash is a moot point. Both are unique, both have fanbases. But this is a false equivalency, as I doubt many would mind Corrin being in if FE wasn't already heavily represented. that point is one I can understand as one of the many that only really know FE from Smash. I mean I would be hyped as **** if they put every SF character in Smash including my personal favorite Dudley but one SF character is already a shocking amount of representation. FE deserves a lot, but I find it hard to say it deserves as much as it's gotten considering Metroid literally just got it's second (third) rep and we have three Links.

I realize after writing this it's probably exactly the kind of points you're salty about, but I just find it important to note the reasoning behind backlash against him either way.

He also simply came out at the worst possible time. The final two dlc literally got all the hate for not being K.Rool, Wolf, Ridley, Krystal, Lyn, Ashley, Shantae, you get the point

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If it came to Microsoft characters being in Smash Bros, I'd personally rank it as: Master Chief > Banjo and Kazooie > Steve (least favourite option personally) >Jago/Kilgore = Battletoads = Gears of War character

Master Chief could be a good foil to Samus and good rivalry, though the Halo series has nothing to do with Nintendo outside of MineCraft skins appearing in the Nintendo Switch version. (though I gotta admit, Halo Infinite's trailer looked absolutely gorgeous)

Banjo and Kazooie have nostalgia and fan-demand out of all the Microsoft characters and relatively strong ties to Nintendo, but aren't really doing much these days.

MineCraft is what it is, though I'm admittedly neutral or absolutely against the idea of Steve for some reason. Maybe I'm just not at all interested in MineCraft and don't understand the hype?

Jago/Kilgore would kinda overlap with Ryu, being a combo-heavy grounded fighter from a 2D fighter.

On a separate topic, tying in with the Ashley discussion earlier, maybe I'll post a hypothetical moveset I threw together this afternoon for some feedback...
Why Kilgore? Fulgore's like, the mascot next to Jago or Orchid. :confused:
Master Chief, as much as I'd love him and his super sick song tracks he'd bring with him, hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console. Though Cloud was implemented anyway due to his worldwide effects, I don't know how much impact Halo had in the East. Maybe Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom has the answer?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
That's definitely not the only reason people shoot it down. I only ever played Minecraft briefly, not the super early days, Endermen were a thing, but early enough that it was still a new thing, and I honestly don't know what transpired between the internet and Minecraft but they really started to slowly hate the game.

I don't know why honestly. I get that it's audience are children which puts people off but that's not really a reason to hate the game. I get changes were made but everything I ever heard were additions to it not subtractions, and I thought they were pretty cool, so I don't get why that's reason to hate the game. I get Notch is kind of a controversial figure, but that doesn't feel like the reason either.

I really don't know why online communities hate Minecraft, but they do, and I know people will be furious if steve ever made it
Yeah, that's another point towards why it gets shot down, but the real purpose of that post was to point out why it gets talked about in the first place. If the english speaking internet vacuum wants to get furious about Minecraft in Smash, let em. From what we know about Japan's view of Minecraft, as well as the copious amounts of children and others who aren't super internet active go, seeing Minecraft in Smash would have them overjoyed. As a Minecraft-in-Smash detractor, I have no sympathy for the low-lifes that will go on wild internet rants and boycott Smash if Minecraft gets in. We don't need people like that in the Smash community anyway.

No matter how much you dislike something in Smash, there are people out there who are absolutely in love with that specific things in the game and their reasons for loving it are just as valid as anyones reason for loving anything in the game.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Why Kilgore? Fulgore's like, the mascot next to Jago or Orchid. :confused:
Master Chief, as much as I'd love him and his super sick song tracks he'd bring with him, but he hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console. Though Cloud was implemented anyway due to his worldwide effects, I don't know how much impact Halo had in the East. Maybe Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom has the answer?
I am stupid - I somehow wrote Kilgore instead of Fulgore. My complete and total mistake. BRB, editing that right away.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Ugly aethetically?

The voxel art style is what made me interested in Minecraft in the first place. I find the minimalist cubic designs of the mobs in the game are very endearing and some of the environments that spawn can be breathtaking despite being made up of pixelated cubes.
The game fits its own aesthetic, and I agree it can be beautiful when you're playing Minecraft. I just mean it looks out of place and rather unattractive if you placed in a different world, like Smash. Did you ever see the Minecraft section in Borderlands 2? It looked wildly out of place (though it was really cool to run into it...).

EDIT: Regardless, beauty is subjective and from what I've seen in Minecraft Smash discussion, many would agree that Steve would look pretty gross as a character in Smash. I still think a Minecraft stage is one of the best possible stage options overall, though.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The man part was just reciting the meme line.
I have KI on the SNES, but I've played the arcade version before. It's good fun.
Wasn't sure if you knew. I don't say it often or have it as a title. The constant name changes can legit confuse people. Anyway.

And nice option. Killer Instinct Gold is my favorite. The Combo Breaker system got improved a bit with more differences. It also feels like it could be a more unique Counter move in Smash. Namely, how it would have the announcer recite the line while Fulgore does his Plasma Slice. Of course, it would make sense if it activates upon an actual combo attack(as in more than one hit started), making it a more niche Special, but customs could change that up too.

Beyond that, he has a plethora of moves that aren't just "let's combo the guy" either. Teleporting, able to transform into the other character during combos, laser eyes, cyberdash, his fireball called Laserstorm, and he even has his own Reflect variation(though it's more like in the sense of Falco's, Reflector in the sense it cannot be up for long).

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
How would you feel if Smash Ultimate was delayed for 6 months in order to add more characters in the game?
Another six months would be annoying, but I'd have Kingdom Hearts 3 and College to tide me over, so okay I guess.

Also, my ideal Microsoft character would easily be Master Chief. Add in him and Crash and you can legitimately have the console wars in one game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wasn't sure if you knew. I don't say it often or have it as a title. The constant name changes can legit confuse people. Anyway.

And nice option. Killer Instinct Gold is my favorite. The Combo Breaker system got improved a bit with more differences. It also feels like it could be a more unique Counter move in Smash. Namely, how it would have the announcer recite the line while Fulgore does his Plasma Slice. Of course, it would make sense if it activates upon an actual combo attack(as in more than one hit started), making it a more niche Special, but customs could change that up too.

Beyond that, he has a plethora of moves that aren't just "let's combo the guy" either. Teleporting, able to transform into the other character during combos, laser eyes, cyberdash, his fireball called Laserstorm, and he even has his own Reflect variation(though it's more like in the sense of Falco's, Reflector in the sense it cannot be up for long).
I inherited a SNES collection and KI was just amongst them. I thought the black cartridge was sick af and I played it all the time even though I was never good at it. I'm still not good, I can't play any fighting game that isn't simplified like Smash. :p I still love KI regardless, Fulgore's original theme with the sirens is the best.

It's amazing how a lot of KI characters can utilize a Smash Moveset.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Listen, cards on the table, I've probably put more hours into Minecraft than even my most favorite games. I have a lot of experience with this game even though I never want to go back to it now.
Minecraft... isn't a bad game. In fact, as a digital lego set, it's probably the best at what it does, regardless of your taste in the genre.

I believe the hate for it doesn't stem from the game. After all, it's just a stupid simple little sandbox legoset.
It's from the awful community that attracts children and entertainers of children. This inevitably leads to second-hand embarassment from viewers seeing the worst people that simply don't know any better or how to act, or "cringe" if you will.

And as dumb and stupid and childish as Smash and its community may be, attracting and introducing the humongous, loud, and almost infantile community that Minecraft has to Smash, and for Smash to forever be associated with that? It's honestly pretty scary

TLDR: NO ONE WANTS TO SEE STEVE VS. LINK AMVS ON YOUTUBE OR STEVE X PEACH ON DEVIANTART.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

Like **** you, yeah I did. Don't try to ****ing gatekeeper me and imply I must be an ignorant child because I must not actually know what the character is like if I'm okay with them.

Feel better now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom