• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Unless you brought back Smash Run, I don't think there'd be a point in having the stat aspects of custom characters. However, custom moves may be a reward for doing extra stuff in certain modes. Just an idea though, we don't know what kinda stuff Sakurai is planning for single-player/co-op stuff.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I wonder if those kind of changes are close enough for an echo fighter. They seem to be reaching, but maybe just reusing another characters animation (Kirby's sucking) would still count Birdo as an echo fighter? Idk so far all the echo fighters are almost 1:1 the same character. They're also way more similar with the model too and Birdo and Yoshi do not have the same model....Actually that's a good point against Isabelle being a Echo of Villager, although maybe their bodies are a bit more similar.

The Toadette idea is a good one! Why didn't they do that :\
I'm assuming that so long as Birdo reuses all of Yoshi's attack animations, while extending B's animation time so that the suction effect is out longer and shortening grab's for the shorter range, it should work. How far the definition of echo fighter stretches isn't exactly clear.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Since we're on the topic of custom moves, what if some of the custom moves from smash 4 were re-implemented into echo character's movesets? Custom moves reuse the same animations but have different properties, much like how echo characters have the same attack animations with different properties.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Customs are a cool concept, but I liked the idea of actual changes in moves, not what we got.
ie. Mario can choose from "fireball -> cappy -> hammer", not just a "fireball -> little fireball -> big fireball" deal

Essentially everyone getting the Palutena treatment. That being said, I generally prefer characters having a set moveset. It's just easier to learn and get good with, have standardization of modes easier,etc.

Mii's I'd be OK with keeping customs though, as that's kind of their thing.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I don't think there'd be a point in having the stat aspects of custom characters.
Valid point. However, consider the following.

Sweetspotted Ridley down-B with +300 attack stat.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Here's the problem:
There's actually people who think that way about what you just posted.
I've seen and spoken to people who actually believe Sakurai should punish Waluigi fans, and there's no indicator that you were joking or that it was satire until the very end, so naturally people got upset. Please understand why people reacted that way.
Without getting so specific as to derail the thread with something off-topic, the sort of thinking they expressed is disturbingly prominent in contexts much more general than Smash Bros. "I'll screw over myself and innocent people at the slightest provocation just to spite some tiny opposition to show how strong I am" feels like it's rapidly becoming the norm.
Final time: everyone else is stick with 1111. EVERYONE ELSE. Miis getting special treatment is not fair for every other character in the game.

No, it actually isn't anything remotely close to not allowing Ryu to use his special inputs. I can't believe I just read that from you.
You know, I agree, but the list of injustices doesn't stop there:
:ultbowser:No other character has this much armor
:ultcloud:No other character has limit moves
:ultcorrin:No other character can stake opponents
:ultdiddy:" " " can produce a banana peel
:ultdoc:" " " can use such a bouncy projectile
:ulticeclimbers:" " " can play with a second full character helping them
:ultinkling:" " " can put opponents into a state where they take extra damage and knockback, as well as coat the ground in ink that slows opponents
:ultlittlemac:" " " can charge a super move
:ultmarth:" " " has hitboxes at the end of his range, making his midrange zoning hit absurdly hard
:ultmewtwo:" " " can just dizzy the opponent
:ultolimar:" " " can use a bunch of little helpers
:ultpokemontrainer:" " " can switch between 3 nearly-full characters
:ultrosalina:" " " has a resummonable puppet
:ultshulk:" " " can actively change his physics and damage
:ultryu:" " " is Ryu
:ultsnake:" " " has remotely-detonated C4
:ultwiifittrainer:" " " can heal independently
:ultvillager:" " " can steal items and projectiles
:ultsonic:" " " is this fast
:ultjigglypuff:" " " is this terrible
And the list goes on. You know, I think I have an idea for how to fix this horrendous game balance:
No Items
Fox Only
Omega Great Cave

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
EDIT: I have no idea how this post happened. Sorry about that mods. Please delete.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I never cared for custom moves. They're a neat idea but the way they were handled I didn't like. I really wish they'd go down the road of more alternate costumes though. As long as they don't mess with a character's size or hitbox they're a great idea. We need more of them. If they paired alternate costumes as DLC with new fighters I'd be down for that.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I never cared for custom moves. They're a neat idea but the way they were handled I didn't like. I really wish they'd go down the road of more alternate costumes though. As long as they don't mess with a character's size or hitbox they're a great idea. We need more of them. If they paired alternate costumes as DLC with new fighters I'd be down for that.
I hope they just do what they did for the Mii Costumes in Smash 4 DLC, but for other fighters.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'd personally just like custom moves to be gone. They were a unique idea but didn't really have any purpose. A pain to unlock, and when you had them it was a pain to categorize or even remember what customs were on what characters.

They may all be based on existing moves, but I'd rather that time be spent on.. literally anything else. Also, equipment was awful.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Ignoring the fact that Birdo literally can't be a Yoshi echo?

She can't use Egg Lay or Egg Roll, and Egg Toss isn't something she did either. She shoots them from her mouth.
Why can't she?

Egg Lay is the only thing that would need to be reworked, maybe into an egg projectile like in mario bros 2. Egg Roll and Egg Toss work fine for Birdo considering her eggs are nothing short of pink Yoshi eggs.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Why can't she?

Egg Lay is the only thing that would need to be reworked, maybe into an egg projectile like in mario bros 2. Egg Roll and Egg Toss work fine for Birdo considering her eggs are nothing short of pink Yoshi eggs.
It's not that Birdo couldn't work as a clone, it's more that if you change any moves (for example, changing Egg Lay to Egg Shoot) would make her not an echo.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
This isn't 100% related to the current conversation, but man I really hope Daisy isn't as "Echo" as Dark Pit. I really hope she has different properties on most of her moves like Lucina.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Ironically I think this ended up actually helping his popularity. I never felt like people were that enthusiastic about Chrom compared to other FE characters, but it seems like the "Chrom lying on the ground" meme may have actually endeared him to more people.
Yeha, I think he would ended up meme'd his way into the Echo Fighters xDU

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
Though I don't want Custom Moves I would like some way for attacks' color changes to be implemented. Like how Ness had different colored PK Thunders depending on which custom he was using.

Give me a Pichu with purple thunder or something! Won't happen, but it would look cool.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
It's not that Birdo couldn't work as a clone, it's more that if you change any moves (for example, changing Egg Lay to Egg Shoot) would make her not an echo.
I have no opinion on this, but couldn't you just make it the same animation but throwing a projectile in? It seems like she could make exactly the same motion Yoshi does when he sticks his tongue out, but she could shoot an egg instead of extending a tongue. I'm pretty sure that's still within echo parameters given things like Doc's pill physics in Melee.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Since we're on echoes here, Daisy should pair up with Toadette instead of a blue Toad, assuming she's not playable as an alt or otherwise. They're both known for their spin-off appearances and I think it would have been a little more suitable having the spin-off queens fight together.
Yeah, it makes sense.

But some optimistic people say it probably means Toadette is going to be a Captain Toad alt.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but I just hope in general echoes are more different than the fighter they're based off this time around.

I don't mind them having the same moves, but I'd like to see actual changes with how they play. Dark Pit's frame data was nearly identical to Pit's and the arrow changes were probably the only actual significant difference in the entire moveset.

I'd really like to see different archetypes with the same moveset. A slower, stronger version of a character is vastly more interesting than "This character has no sweetspot here, but is otherwise nearly identical.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Birdo's Egg lay isn't much different, you just get SUCCed in and you probably get shot out the same mouth.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Honestly I'm on the fence about custom moves being removed. On one hand, they were a LOT of fun to **** around with. On the other hand, unlocking them was such a chore, I don't think I'd want to go through that again.
Should have them all unlocked. I mean, we are going to unlock 50+ characters, I think that satiates my unlocking craving.

Not...1500+ customs or whatever the math would be now.

Or at least being able to buy a characters customs with coins all in one package if you don't wanna do it traditionallly.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I have no opinion on this, but couldn't you just make it the same animation but throwing a projectile in? It seems like she could make exactly the same motion Yoshi does when he sticks his tongue out, but she could shoot an egg instead of extending a tongue. I'm pretty sure that's still within echo parameters given things like Doc's pill physics in Melee.
But Doctor Mario isn't an echo...

The three echoes we've seen (well what we've seen of Daisy at least) have the same exact moves but with some properties changed.

It seems only Final Smashes can differ. On that topic I wonder if Peach's will change since this game is trying to streamline them and make them a bit more attack oriented.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I hope we get more Boss Themes and epic music in general this time.

Happy level 1 and grassy terrains music is nostalgic and cool, but doesn't really fit in a fight.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I hope we get more Boss Themes and epic music in general this time.

Happy level 1 and grassy terrains music is nostalgic and cool, but doesn't really fit in a fight.
With Ridley now a playable character, I expect to have about 4 (or more) remixes of his boss theme in this game.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
But Doctor Mario isn't an echo...

The three echoes we've seen (well what we've seen of Daisy at least) have the same exact moves but with some properties changed.

It seems only Final Smashes can differ. On that topic I wonder if Peach's will change since this game is trying to streamline them and make them a bit more attack oriented.
I believe they're referring to Melee Dr. Mario. Would they count as an echo?

Graizen

Smash Champion
The best theory about Smash Switch on Twitter:

Kratos and Master Chief will be in the game.
Haha, the internet would explode.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think another reason we may not be getting customs is because they've made putting all the characters back in the game a priority, and that probably takes a metric ****-ton of dev time that would've otherwise been spent on something like customs. Also, the roster might actually be too big for customs. This is entirely speculation, though.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
In Melee, Dr. Mario would be an echo I think. I think he would still be considered an echo if it weren't for Mario using his FLUDD.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
With Ridley now a playable character I expect to have about 4 (or more) remixes of his boss theme in this game.
Metroid prime meta Ridley theme
Brawl Ridley theme
New Ridley theme in his character video
What would be the fourth? Other M?
We know bowsers mario 3 theme is getting a remix, which is nice, but what about ganondorf?

Last edited:

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
I don't mind customs coming back, as long as it isn't too hard to get them. I also really didn't like the equipment, it was only fun playing full bruiser Ganondorf. :4ganondorf:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Again. Do you have any reason for it not being fair other than because you don't like it?

Or rather, since fairness is so subjective and especially in a fighting game where some characters are inheritely more viable than others..

Do you have a reason, or proof, that it is unbalanced or gives a Mii player a significant advantage over, let's say, someone playing Mario?

Miis are a special case as their custom moves work regardless of the setting, and this "special treatment" is quite possibly the least important thing ever and doesn't say anything about the balance of the game other than how you feel about Miis using "customs" while no one else is. If it isn't about /competitive/ fairness, it doesn't hold any weight in a discussion about competitive ruling.
I'll give you one more because I don't like the idea of people thinking I got off to hide with my tail between my legs.

First of all, its actually hilarious that you think no one agrees with me. If that were the case Miis would use customs. I don't make the rules.

Jokes on yall I'm just the only one dumb enough to try arguing against the vocal minority.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
So, about people banning Miis completely, doing that sounds kinda like if someone were to say:
“It’s so unfair that Pit mains have the option to switch to a different set of specials (Dark Pit)! My main doesn’t have that option! So, we need to ban BOTH Pit and Dark Pit.”

I’d like custom specials to return, but mainly if they are implemented better (they really, really need to be selectable from the CSS for both casual play and competitive play, nobody wants to have to go back to the customs menu every single time they want to try a different combo.) I won’t mind too much if they’re gone, though, although, it looks like Miis may still have them, which is nice, they are supposed to be extra customizable.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
We're still using the term "Proteus Ridley" even though the game files don't actually refer to him as that?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I believe they're referring to Melee Dr. Mario. Would they count as an echo?
If I recall rightly, Dr. Mario has different fall and walking speeds than Mario, among other moveset tweaks. So I think he would not be considered one.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
We're still using the term "Proteus Ridley" even though the game files don't actually refer to him as that?
Once a term is coined in the minds of a community, it's hard to get them to stop using it.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Does anyone know whether the crowd chant in this video is Ridley’s or Zelda’s? What is the crowd saying?
Roughly 55 seconds in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom