• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
Could the Smash Bros Switch be a game of the decade?
Do you think that Smash Bros improved over the years?
Tell me why...
Every game is better than its past and has improved. Smash could be game of the year, Smash 4 was on Wii U which was probably why it didn't win 2014, but the Switch has a highly anticipated game it has a chance.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Ok guys, here’s a question:

What would you rather have?

1 unique character.

3 semi-clones.

or 5 clones?
3 semi-clones, 3 characters are better than 1 and all the semi-clones we have feel more than different enough from their counterparts. Kinda wish they did this in melee tbh, I'd gladly ditch pichu, dr mario and young link for a more unique Ganondorf, Falco and Roy. Bigger doesn't always mean better.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Smash games:

Favorite (casually): Brawl. Jam-packed with single player and local multiplayer content. Best item selection in terms of balance. Fun wacky stages. An incredible collect-a-thon and a lot of love and sweat went into making this game for the average Nintendo fan. Very weak online aside, casually this game rocks.

Favorite (competitively): Melee. fast, technical, and very rewarding offensively. A sharp game that tests your mental strength and reflexes.

Least favorite (casually): Smash 64. I mean, the multiplayer is fun to this day, but otherwise you can see everything this game has to offer on a casual scale in one full day.

Least favorite (competitively): Brawl. Due to tripping, planking, safe shields, wack balancing, and chain grabs. Smash 4's defensive game can be ridiculous but thank heavens they got rid of most of Brawl's flaws. Not surprising that Brawl is weak competitvely when Sakurai intentionally tried to nullify that side.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
On a different topic since the leak validity topic isn't terribly productive, do people think there will be a demo? If so, when do you think it will be released? Do you think they'll properly scrub it to keep dataminers at bay?
It seems like it's Nintendo routine to bring out a demo for their new and upcoming games. We probably see it right after E3. As for dataminers, I don't know how well the Nin-Ninja can keep them at bay, to avoid spoiler it'll probably be safer to stay off the internet, isolate yourself from social media and move to the open grassland, or the mountains haha.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
You know, RelaxAlax kinda touched on this in his Smash 4 video, but it kinda had me thinking...

How ARE they going to handle All Star Mode this far into the series?

All Star in 4 is a SLOG with how many characters there are, and the DLC alone made that even worse. I suppose they could give us a strength boost like Smash 3DS does, but I feel like that just makes it painfully boring when all I have to do is hit them a few times to kill them, it kinda undermines it. And doing it 60+ times or even 70+ times just sounds... horrendous.

I feel like the best course of action would be to just give All Star Mode stocks, but let you have a different character for each stock. And Save Points for when you want to stop and come back to it later. That would help the monotony, and would let you get more than 1 trophy at a time.
They could rebrand it and have you fight off against just 1 character from each series randomly. We're currently at 29 (including Splatoon and Mii's as a multiman kind of fight) which is more than the number of characters we had in Melee when All-Star debuted so I don't see why not!

Also I like you suggestions, especially the save state, it needs that.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
They could rebrand it and have you fight off against just 1 character from each series randomly. We're currently at 29 (including Splatoon and Mii's as a multiman kind of fight) which is more than the number of characters we had in Melee when All-Star debuted so I don't see why not!

Also I like you suggestions, especially the save state, it needs that.
I mean, that's also a great idea, but then it couldn't really be called All-Star Mode, just... All-Series mode, haha.

Still, I'd take that over having to fight 70+ characters non stop.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Inb4 we get the demo immediately after E3, and someone datamines the whole game because Nintendo yet again forgets to remove sensitive information from their demo builds.
If there is a demo and ridley is playable in it I might have to take a week or two off of work

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
You know, RelaxAlax kinda touched on this in his Smash 4 video, but it kinda had me thinking...

How ARE they going to handle All Star Mode this far into the series?

All Star in 4 is a SLOG with how many characters there are, and the DLC alone made that even worse. I suppose they could give us a strength boost like Smash 3DS does, but I feel like that just makes it painfully boring when all I have to do is hit them a few times to kill them, it kinda undermines it. And doing it 60+ times or even 70+ times just sounds... horrendous.

I feel like the best course of action would be to just give All Star Mode stocks, but let you have a different character for each stock. And Save Points for when you want to stop and come back to it later. That would help the monotony, and would let you get more than 1 trophy at a time.
Honestly I think All-Star Mode as a whole needs to be retooled.

My ideal method would be to have you battle 10-20 opponents in a row, then have you replenish all of your damage (or maybe half of it like Crazy Orders does on higher difficulties) so you can handle the next wave of opponents. Customization could also be included, altering the order you battle opponents in, if you want an order at all. Call it All-Star Gauntlet or something.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Can anyone fill me in on what Vergeben stated?

Either ways, it is still best to wait until E3 to see if what he claims is true or not.
He has so far stated that Ridley, the Ice Climbers, Simon Belmont, and Snake will be playable.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I refuse to believe that anyone who played FFVII and Bayonetta would ever say that Cloud and Bayonetta are lazily implemented when they're so faithful to their game it's surprising-

*Look at the name of the website*
*Look at the name of the thread*

Hmmm...I wonder why?
Sorry, not what I meant. They didn't seem to be playtested well within Smash. Both of them were really easy to frustrate other people with, and I didn't find them fun to play against either.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Can anyone fill me in on what Vergeben stated?

Either ways, it is still best to wait until E3 to see if what he claims is true or not.
Ridley, Simon Belmont, snake and ice climbers all playable

And everybody from smash 4 comes back and I believe it includes the dlc characters

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I'm still really surprised that we didn't get anything in between the reveal and E3, it's not like Nintendo to give us this much stuff at once. It's going to be a crazy day.
With all this wait and secretism, the game is going to be either, very underwhelming or very amazing.

PS: Forums lagging like **** again for me.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I really don't think that there are no cuts. Simply because the roster will become too big. If they don't cut anyone, then the roster may eventually reach 70 characters. That's just too much.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Is there anyone else who is interested in all things in the E3 presentation and not just Smash? I see people only caring about Smash like there are no other good games, like this isn't a Wii U...
Definitely excited for Kingdom Hearts 3, and DBZ Fighters for switch if it's real.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Ok guys, here’s a question:

What would you rather have?

1 unique character.

3 semi-clones.

or 5 clones?
Absolutely 1 unique character. For me unique, novel characters are infinitely more interesting and add much more value to the game. Doesn't even really matter who the character is really. (I mean I'd be mad about Goku lol, but within reason).

It's actually really surprising to me that no one else seems to agree. Really highlights the extent to which people have wildly different priorities when it comes to their ideal roster, even beyond which characters they may or may not have a connection too. For me it's definitely quality > quantity. For the same reason I actually support cuts as well. Cuts shouldn't be a bad word imo. But that's another topic entirely I suppose.

RustyRemains

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1666-4551-3124
I haven't seen anyone talk about the idea of Labo Man lately, anyone still on board for that?

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I really don't think that there are no cuts. Simply because the roster will become too big. If they don't cut anyone, then the roster may eventually reach 70 characters. That's just too much.
So now it turns out that it is a "bad" thing that a fighting game has more characters? Beats me. Also keep in mind they MIGHT have been able to transfer most of the stuff from the WiiU game.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
There's no such thing as too many characters so long as they are each given proper development time and not rushed. It'll be a nightmare to balance, for sure, but I really don't think that's the first thing on Sakurai's mind.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
It would be incredibly hard to balance the large roster and competitive would be detrimentally affected as a result.
Sakurai does not really want it to be played competitively anyway (there has been more done for that but that was mostly B-N I believe), so he just cares about having fun characters and movesets and to hell with balance.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think the logicality behind no cuts makes sense.

Unless a tech issue happened along the way or a third party said no to a character returning. There's no real reason to truly cut anyone. Time constraints aren't there for one. And I'm sure Sakurai would know how to manage his budget well after all this time in the business.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The only most likely legit things of the leak is ridley, Simon and ice climbers

But everything being correct will be amazing in the leak

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Just because balance isn't a top priority doesn't mean the competitive scene is going to really be hurt all that much. Balance hasn't stopped us the past 4 games and it won't stop us here. So long as we don't get another Brawl Meta Knight, it'll be fine.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
If I recall, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 had over 80 characters, a game such as Smash can easily get more than, plus I suspect there won't be much balancing like before, or at least not as much to the fortune and misfortune of players.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sakurai does not really want it to be played competitively anyway (there has been more done for that but that was mostly B-N I believe), so he just cares about having fun characters and movesets and to hell with balance.
That was his philosophy for Brawl. And, it detrimentally affected that game's sales. Since that, he has embraced the competitive community more, to the point of making Smash 4 accessible for anyone.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
You can pick up diamond armor and enderpearls
Ender Pearls would actually be pretty cool as an item, TBH, just imagine the setups, I.e. throw pearl / charge smash attack / pearl lands near opponent on the other side of the stage so that you teleport next to them / release smash attack

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
There's no such thing as too many characters so long as they are each given proper development time and not rushed. It'll be a nightmare to balance, for sure, but I really don't think that's the first thing on Sakurai's mind.
It may not be the first, but he does pay attention to it.

Also, this is a common misconception, but Smash balance isn't just 1v1. There's also doubles, free for all, items, stages, and all other factors to consider. Just because competitive is where it seems to matter most doesn't mean that the others aren't taken into consideration. Adding characters upon characters isn't a simple addition, it's multiplication and it wouldn't be ignored if Sakurai wants a game that isn't lopsided in how its characters interact.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
That was his philosophy for Brawl. And, it detrimentally affected that game's sales. Since that, he has embraced the competitive community more, to the point of making Smash 4 accessible for anyone.
It didn't "detrimentally affect sales" at all, the majority of smash players are casual ones, they don't care about the competitive aspect at all. Isn't brawl the best selling game in the series too?

Last edited by a moderator:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I think the logicality behind no cuts makes sense.

Unless a tech issue happened along the way or a third party said no to a character returning. There's no real reason to truly cut anyone. Time constraints aren't there for one. And I'm sure Sakurai would know how to manage his budget well after all this time in the business.
Also, I think the cuts for Sm4sh happened because of what seemed liked development double-time. They split their effort towards putting it on two different consoles and had to make that work more than anything else. (We also directly know that we lost the Icies because of this factor). Even with Bamco's help, they couldn't get past this glaring restraint.

Now, that restraint no longer exists. If Bamco is truly helping again, which I REALLY hope they are because they're really good at this stuff, then we should be in for a wild ride. Less cuts (if any), a potential story mode, and a much higher likelihood of super polished game modes that Wii U sort of lacked.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Don't know how credible this is, but I pulled it from Google.

Best selling fighting games of all time:
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 13.21 million.
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 8.81 million.
  • Tekken 3 - 8.5 million.
  • Tekken 5 - 8.2 million.
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee - 8.12 million.
  • Street Fighter II: The World Warrior - 6.3 million.
  • Mortal Kombat - 6 million.
  • Super Smash Bros. - 5.55 million.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
So, I just thought about something. Emily Rogers originally said that the new Smash game would be a port right? Wouldn't that lean somewhat in the direction of "no cuts"? I mean if she was not full of it, and her source actually saw a really early build that had all the characters (and, like we believe, is based mostly on smash 4 assets), they would assume a port right? Heh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom