• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Ok guys, here’s a question:

What would you rather have?

1 unique character.

3 semi-clones.

or 5 clones?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I realize I've yet to post this, may as well.

https://imgur.com/3WgMuqH

It's less of a prediction and more of a wishlist that I think is at least somewhat possible. In a lot of places, I think there are a lot of possibilities, and I just put the outcome I want most into that image of the roster.

If you're curious to those possibilities, I wrote out a big analysis here a while back, which goes over a lot of my thought process. Maybe a little too much lol, read if you wish.

Way too late reply but this is a fine roster.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
3 semi clones. I enjoy them immensively so far. And most semi-clones outside of Ganondorf make a lot of sense.

Besides, I like my Impa and Dixie Kong. And I have a gut feeling they'd be semi-clones if included, Not that they don't have potential, but y'know... Expectations aren't always realistic.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm personally putting a little bit of faith in Vergeben just because of how confident he is and what game this is, and even what character it is. If Ridley isn't at e3 then this is his last hurrah. He's out of the leaker scene if he's wrong. I'm still sceptical but I think there's some merit to it because of that.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Hey, for Dark Pit, what if they differentiated him by giving him some of Pit's old, unused Special Moves? I think Wings of Icarus would be fitting...can't Dark Pit actually fly all on his own in Uprising?
He loses the ability to fly on his own by the end of the game. Viridi is helping him fly in Smash.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Since we're talking about this being the "ultimate smash bros," what's your favorite and least favorite Smash Bros games and why?
Favourite: Brawl. I love the roster, GUI and single player modes, especially Adventure mode. Art direction also has a lot strong points.
Least favourite: Melee. Too many clones, graphics wasn't very good and controls are distressingly responsive. A good game overall but it was rushed and it shows.

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Since we're talking about this being the "ultimate smash bros," what's your favorite and least favorite Smash Bros games and why?
My favorite would have to be Brawl. Between playing with friends and the multiple times I completed SSE, I've put the most hours into it. A lot of fond memories. Least favorite is harder, but I'll say Melee because I enjoy watching it much more than I do playing it.

1 unique character.

3 semi-clones.

or 5 clones?
As others have said it depends on the character. If it's someone I like then unique character, but someone I'm neutral to then 3 semi clones probably.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Just to piggyback on this since it's so common: the word is disconfirm, not deconfirm. Deconfirm is not a word, and if it were, it would probably mean to confirm something and then circumstances change where the confirmation is nullified.
I've totally made that mistake, haha, ty.

osby

Smash Obsessed

1 unique character.

3 semi-clones.

or 5 clones?
3 semi clones. 5 clones a bit too much at once. Other than that, the more the merrier.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Least favorite: Brawl, I think it's objectively the best Smash game because of the single player content, but it's not for me, it's got the worst balance and unlike the other super unbalanced game Melee, Jigglypuff is terrible in it, although even though it's my "least favorite" I'm still fond of the game.

Favorite: Modded Brawl, I mean, Project-M, I play Smash 4 more than it but I love it to death. I don't really care much for Melee mechanics over Smash 4's (although I don't mind it either, it's just not a big selling point to me), but it's like tailor made for competitive play and as a result ended up being very well balanced for singles play compared to the official games which is something I really like about it, I also really like the wide variety of Tournament legal stages and the game's just plain fun imo, if I don't like Smash Switch that much I think I'll just switch over to playing that one competitively instead.

If Project-M doesn't count then I'll go with Smash 4 since I play it the most by far, although Smash 4 is more of a love-hate relationship for me. You can probably guess why. :laugh:

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I actually don't have a favorite, I loved the first 3 games equally. Melee was the best "Upgrade", but Brawl added some of my favorite characters.

My least favorite is Sm4sh on Wii U. It's still fun, but I just felt like they focused too much on adding as many characters as possible, and not enough time working on mechanics. 8 player Smash was a fun idea, but it didn't "feel" right to me. Didn't find the Board Game mode fun, and none of the single player stuff was that interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'd take three semi-clones.
Not just because of the balance between quantity and quality, but also because Impa, Dixie Kong and Daisy have high chances of being the chosen ones in that case and they're pretty much my top 3.

I feel that one unique newcomer has a high chance to be someone I don't really care about, and five palette swap clones would disrupt roster balance.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I actually don't have a favorite, I loved the first 3 games equally. Melee was the best "Upgrade", but Brawl added some of my favorite characters.

My least favorite is Sm4sh on Wii U. It's still fun, but I just felt like they focused too much on adding as many characters as possible, and not enough time working on mechanics. 8 player Smash was a fun idea, but it didn't "feel" right to me. Didn't find the Board Game mode fun, and none of the single player stuff was that interesting. :'/
Wait, weren't there less unique newcomers in the base roster than Brawl?

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
May be a little late to this, but oh well.
favorites (1).jpeg

Also, this imgur leak has me really conflicted. On one hand, I'd be ecstatic if it was true, as some of my most wanted characters are there (namely K. Rool, Geno, Simon, and Mimikyu). At the same time though, I want to be surprised. As much as I loved the inclusion/reveal of Roy and Ryu back in 2015, through the whole presentation I couldn't help but think "Man, how crazy would this be if it was a surprise?". I don't want that feeling for the entirety of the roster for this game, as if we end up getting confirmation of somewhat out-there characters like Porky or Geno+Mallow, the list is seemingly all but confirmed.

Granted, if it were true, it could be a Gematsu leak situation where the info is true but outdated/incomplete, but either way, I'd rather go through the speculation period wondering "who?" not "when?".

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I could get hate for this, but I haven't seen this opinnion posted yet.

Fav: Smash Wii U / 3DS
Least: Smash 64

Smash games feel like any other fighting/race/sports game. As long as there are more fun characters and stages and the mechanics are generally good, I will always perfer the sequel.

Smash 64 only has 12 characters and like 10 stages? I can't imagine myself going back to that. Plus janky 64 controller.
Smash 4 had improved mechanics and overall feeling from Brawl imo, and had more characters so...
While I did like Brawl's story mode, I was also dissapointed in it because how much it relied on original enemies and such opposed to the vast amount of content available to Nintendo.

So with my logic I will almost absolutely fall I love with Smash Switch :)

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The only normal and reasonable answer being...

Melee for the Gameplay.
Brawl for the content.
Smash for. for the roster.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Favorite Smash Games:
(All rate a 9/10 or 10/10 in my book, this is preference)
64 > For Wii U/3DS > Brawl > Melee

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Here’s a weird thought regarding a demo:
If they really want to make the demo impossible to datamine, they could stream it instead of having it actually be downloaded to your system. Obviously, the gameplay would feel terrible due to input delay and only people with fast internet could play it, but yeah...

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Least Favorite is 64. I obviously can't be too hard on it since it's the first game, but there is nothing to compel me to go back to 64 these days, competitive or otherwise. Still a perfectly fine game, but still.

Favorite is P:M. Yes, I said it. It's the perfect balance of everything I love about Smash from both the perspective of a Nintendo fan and a competitive player, while still offering plenty to people who don't play competitive (My friends can never go back to Brawl after I had them start playing casual PM with me.)

...If you have to twist my arm and make me choose an ACTUAL game, then Smash 4. Lack of Single Player content aside, I love how it plays (Occasional jank aside), I absolutely foam at the mouth for its roster, and the amount of love put into it is just amazing.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Favorite: Melee

Least favorite: Smash 64

Melee just has the best gameplay and stages, plus solid single player modes, it feels like it accomplished everything it set out to do. It's missing a lot of my favorite characters as they were largely introduced in Brawl, but it does have my favorite iterations of a lot of characters to make up for it, like C. Falcon, Jigglypuff, Samus and Falco.

Smash 64 I just don't feel anything for as I didn't grow up with it, and it's very basic. Also, I hate the N64 controller.

If we count Project M then that'd be my favorite, it's like the best of both Melee and Brawl, and almost every unique change it made was great.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
There were 17 newcomers in 4 base roster. 15 if you count miis as one. 13 non clone characters not counting different Mii types. Brawl had 16 newcomers.

Last edited:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I have news here...

Max Bomber is included in Super Bomberman R.
Could this mean Bomberman for Smash Switch?

osby

Smash Obsessed
There were 17 newcomers in 4 base roster. 15 if you count miis as one. 13 non clone characters not counting different Mii types. Brawl had 16 newcomers.
I'm sure Brawl had 18 newcomers, since Pokémon Trainer is actually three character at once.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Going through all of Nintendo's viewable E3 conferences over the week, and here's my ranking so far:

Best to worst:
E3 2005
E3 2004
E3 2002
E3 2001
E3 2003

I would say that at the very least, every GameCube/CBS era conference was solid. Some truly amazing moments in all of them.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
You know, RelaxAlax kinda touched on this in his Smash 4 video, but it kinda had me thinking...

How ARE they going to handle All Star Mode this far into the series?

All Star in 4 is a SLOG with how many characters there are, and the DLC alone made that even worse. I suppose they could give us a strength boost like Smash 3DS does, but I feel like that just makes it painfully boring when all I have to do is hit them a few times to kill them, it kinda undermines it. And doing it 60+ times or even 70+ times just sounds... horrendous.

I feel like the best course of action would be to just give All Star Mode stocks, but let you have a different character for each stock. And Save Points for when you want to stop and come back to it later. That would help the monotony, and would let you get more than 1 trophy at a time.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm sure Brawl had 18 newcomers, since Pokémon Trainer is actually three character at once.
Oh, yeah. I forgot to count them separately. I was going off the number in the newcomers event matches but you're absolutely right. In that case brawl had more even counting separate miis and clones.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
All i care is to see how is my love Palutena in this game! If she won't show up at E3 i'll be kind of sad :sadeyes:

But whatever, still excited anyway, can't wait no more :chuckle:
I'm really excited to see how different the veterans look too tbh. I'm hoping the artstyle isn't just like Smash 4's, something new would be cool although I have no idea what they'd do, something more stylized would be cool, almost like a street fighter or something.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm really excited to see how different the veterans look too tbh. I'm hoping the artstyle isn't just like Smash 4's, something new would be cool although I have no idea what they'd do, something more stylized would be cool, almost like a street fighter or something.
I'd love to see Smash characters in Marvel vs Capcom 3 style, only partially due to laughs.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I have news here...

Max Bomber is included in Super Bomberman R.
Could this mean Bomberman for Smash Switch?
Ooo, cool to see Switch is getting an exclusive character, too, plus there’s a new game mode coming, too. I don’t think that really means anything regarding Smash, though, since they picked a Bomberman series character rather than getting a crossover character from Nintendo.
Edit: Not that crossovers necessarily mean anything for Smash, anyway, all they really show is that there is good will between the companies, plus the fact that they got in touch means that they *might’ve* negotiated something for Smash while they were there, but it doesn’t confirm that at all.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I have no idea. But I felt like there was already a good amount of characters. I would've preferred a more polished game with less newcomers. Plus they focused too much on adding 3rd party characters imo (counting DLC too). Megaman and Pacman were awesome (but I don't enjoy playing either of them unfortunately) but I didn't really like Cloud or Bayo in my Smash. Cool for their fans, just not my cup of tea, and they were both lazily implemented (and not fun to watch 99% of tourneys having non Nintendo fighters in top 5)

Edit: Also, I guess I'm in the minority. I absolutely believe in Quality over Quantity. I'd much rather have 1 really unique fighter than 3 semi clones. Like, if Sakurai said "You can either get K Rool as a semiclone in this game, or wait 5 years to get him as a unique character" I'd happily wait the 5 years. I don't just want to see their face in the game, I want them to have their own identity.

Last edited:

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
Is there anyone else who is interested in all things in the E3 presentation and not just Smash? I see people only caring about Smash like there are no other good games, like this isn't a Wii U...

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
they were both lazily implemented
I refuse to believe that anyone who played FFVII and Bayonetta would ever say that Cloud and Bayonetta are lazily implemented when they're so faithful to their game it's surprising-

Is there anyone else who is interested in all things in the E3 presentation and not just Smash? I see people only caring about Smash like there are no other good games, like this isn't a Wii U...
*Look at the name of the website*
*Look at the name of the thread*
Hmmm...I wonder why?

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Me. I'm really eager to see this Star Fox Grand Prix thing, Prime 4, Wave Race, and whatever other surprises they have up their sleeves.

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
I refuse to believe that anyone who played FFVII and Bayonetta would ever say that Cloud and Bayonetta are lazily implemented when they're so faithful to their game it's surprising-

*Look at the name of the website*
*Look at the name of the thread*

Hmmm...I wonder why?
I'm not saying Smashboards specificly, I mean in other places too...like we are getting a lot of cool content but what only seems to matter is Smash. I know this is a thread about Smash but I am hyped for anything that comes in E3 that is good.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Could the Smash Bros Switch be a game of the decade?
Do you think that Smash Bros improved over the years?
Tell me why...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom