• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
On a different topic since the leak validity topic isn't terribly productive, do people think there will be a demo? If so, when do you think it will be released? Do you think they'll properly scrub it to keep dataminers at bay?

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
On a different topic since the leak validity topic isn't terribly productive, do people think there will be a demo? If so, when do you think it will be released? Do you think they'll properly scrub it to keep dataminers at bay?
I think they might do a Global Test Smash or something of that nature, they seem to be doing it for all of their competition-based IPs.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm expecting a Test Smash similar to arms, Splatoon and aces.

I think Aces got datamined through it though right? So that might not be an option for Nintendo...

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm gonna be pessimistic and say no, at least not until very close to release when the majority of the roster is known.

I think a lot of people don't understand that demos have so much leftover stuff in them because it's not nearly as simple as just "removing the characters". Coding is like a Jenga tower, you remove a single piece of it and the rest of the tower has a chance of falling flat. Everything is very closely knitted together. It's very possible, of course, but it takes time and resources that a lot of companies aren't willing to use for a demo they're releasing for free.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
As horrendous Nintendo usually is at demo scrubbing, their Smash 3ds demo was pretty thoroughly scrubbed, if I recall correctly. If they decide to do the same process they did for that demo, I could see a smash 5 demo in the month before or of release.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Reminder that after the Roy and Ryu datamine leak during the DLC period. The next time they had a patch come in prior to announced characters. They just had 3 copies of Mario's slots to hide Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta. Safe to say they now know to be careful when it comes to Smash data like that.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'm expecting a Test Smash similar to arms, Splatoon and aces.

I think Aces got datamined through it though right? So that might not be an option for Nintendo...
That's my concern as well. Nintendo seems to be absolute trash at scrubbing demos which makes me think they're not going to give us a Smash demo. I think the only way we actually get a demo is if the have been deliberately making a demo build alongside the regular game in which they only copied assets they wanted in the demo into the demo. I think that if they have to scrub assets from an existing build of the full game, then a demo isn't happening.

EDIT: As others are pointing out, they have been almost decent at keeping Smash stuff scrubbed, the main flub being with Ryu/Roy. I hope they release a demo, but it's a lot different to scrub the entire game (trophies, items, stages, characters) than just hiding Corrin and Bayo behind extra Mario slots. The demo will be a lot more work to scrub than that.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I guess we can say it's most definitely NOT going to be called "Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo Switch" since they put so many unnecessary words in to make sure it didn't say that, lol.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Everyone: I really want to see Test Smash become a thing! I wanna try this game out early!

Also Everyone: *datamines the entire Mario Tennis Aces roster*

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Everyone: I really want to see Test Smash become a thing! I wanna try this game out early!

Also Everyone: *datamines the entire Mario Tennis Aces roster*
Well we just want a demo that was properly scrubbed, is that too much to ask?

However I do find it funny that I'm all about the leaks but I don't want datamines lmao. Datamining the info is just too easy. Leaks have a nice bit of mystery surrounding them.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Not sure if this is still on topic but whatever.
Favorite Pokemon by type or something.jpg

Funnily enough I just realized my top 3 favorites are in order and are directly in a row descending from Jigglypuff, I didn't even try to do that lol.

I guess we can say it's most definitely NOT going to be called "Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo Switch" since they put so many unnecessary words in to make sure it didn't say that, lol.
I hope the full title is "Super Smash Bros. Kerfuffle".

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I guess we can say it's most definitely NOT going to be called "Super Smash Bros. game for the Nintendo Switch system" since they put so many unnecessary words in to make sure it didn't say that, lol.
ftfy
I do think there will be one, given how much Nintendo seems to like them recently. Probably about a month before release and given that they did it with 4, we probably won't get much info out of it

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I want that to be the actual title. It would be absolutely hilarious.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
A demo like the ones pre-Smash 4 that allowed you to play the game early at select stores would be mint.

I think a testfire like demo wouldn't be bad, but I don't think it's necessary.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
"Super Smash Bros Game for the Nintendo Switch System"

Is that an essay or a game title? :thinking:

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Guys, can we just take a moment to admire how jam packed with content Tuesday is going to be for us Smash fans? First, we have the presentation, which will show us a crazy hype trailer with first time gameplay footage, and an appearance from Sakurai. Followed by tons of Treehouse live gameplay footage, FOLLOWED BY the Smash 5 Invitational! Am I dreaming?

Last edited:

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
shoo-in.

Just raising awareness. common misspelling.
Just to piggyback on this since it's so common: the word is disconfirm, not deconfirm. Deconfirm is not a word, and if it were, it would probably mean to confirm something and then circumstances change where the confirmation is nullified.

osby

Smash Obsessed
A demo to ease the pain of waiting?
Doesn't matter how much you subtract from infinity, it's still infinity.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
A demo like the ones pre-Smash 4 that allowed you to play the game early at select stores would be mint.

I think a testfire like demo wouldn't be bad, but I don't think it's necessary.
That's a good point actually. It'd be a way to make it harder for people to dig into it at least.

Still, we also had the friggin ERSB end up leaking the entire base roster, so let's be real, this game might not be safe from a leak no matter HOW close they keep it to their chests.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Guys, can we just take a moment to admire how jam packed with content Tuesday is going to be for us Smash fans? First, we have the presentation, which will show us a crazy hype trailer with first time gameplay footage, and an appearance from Sakurai. Followed by tons of Treehouse live gameplay footage, FOLLOWED BY the Smash 5 Invitational! Am I dreaming?
And all that would not be able to stop the insane amount of rage and salt that would happen if Ridley is not confirmed.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know I'm being a smartass but it's technically Smash 6, right?

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I know I'm being a smartass but it's technically Smash 6, right?
Only if you consider 2 games that look and play identically but have some different maps different games.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
And here I am, knowing that Demo or not, I'll play the game in July since Nintendo will be at the Japan Expo, the largest Japanese Con/festival in Europe(Arguably in the world) in France and like 3ds/Wii U we had a mini tourney/Free exibhition for people to try the game

Though, talking about a Demo, I can feel that we MIGHT get a demo or at the very least, a test-fire around the time of the release.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm still really surprised that we didn't get anything in between the reveal and E3, it's not like Nintendo to give us this much stuff at once. It's going to be a crazy day.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
If the word Switch were to remain in the title, I’d be interested if they’d be able to use the word “Switch” as a theme for something about the game, a new mechanic?

Hmm, a demo or testfire would be cool, but, as aforementioned, they’d have to be very careful with it, so it’s hard to tell if it’d be worth it for them.

I think it's just going to be called "Super Smash Bros.". Emily Rogers did say Nintendo want this to be the "Ultimate Smash Bros game" and with this game releasing so close to the 20th anniversary that makes sense to me. This could be the definitive Smash Brothers.

Btw, anyone really hyped to hear what the theme tune will sound like? There's not been a single Smash theme I haven't liked so I'm expecting to like this one as well.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Super Switch Bros
Super Smash Bros Celebrations/Anniversary/Memories/History
Ultimate Super Smash Bros

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I think it's just going to be called "Super Smash Bros.". Emily Rogers did say Nintendo want this to be the "Ultimate Smash Bros game" and with this game releasing so close to the 20th anniversary that makes sense to me. This could be the definitive Smash Brothers.

Btw, anyone really hyped to hear what the theme tune will sound like? There's not been a single Smash theme I haven't liked so I'm expecting to like this one as well.
Then they might as well call it Super Smash Bros. 5 because that's what everyone's gonna call it anyway. I really hope we get an actual title. I'm also very hyped for the theme.

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
Since we're talking about this being the "ultimate smash bros," what's your favorite and least favorite Smash Bros games and why?

?????????????

Smash Master
Hey, for Dark Pit, what if they differentiated him by giving him some of Pit's old, unused Special Moves? I think Wings of Icarus would be fitting...can't Dark Pit actually fly all on his own in Uprising?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom