• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Donald and Goofy absolutely do not need to be a part of Sora's kit, as he's actually had more games without them than with them. Sora also showed up as a Summon in World of Final Fantasy, yet he didn't have Donald and Goofy with him their either. Sora has MORE than enough to stand on his own without any references to Disney.

Though I would honestly be surprised if there wasn't at least a LITTLE bit of Disney somewhere in his representation. Maybe trophies or stages.

Last edited:

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I was thinking we could do another little hypothetical game to pass the time as E3 approaches.

Come up with, or pick, 2-3 “WTF” newcomers you’d like to see.

WTF characters are generally defined as curveball characters with seemingly no prior precedent set for their inclusion, and they tend to represent an iconic piece of hardware/software, or a time in Nintendo's history.

Of course you can have fun with this, and play fast and loose with the definition of a “WTF” character.

Here are some ideas I've come up with:

The Mario Paint cursor, with Mario in his painting smock in the background or foreground - its moves would rely on form swapping to one of the various cursors from the game, such as the fly swatter. Mario would be, in the vein of Pokemon Trainer, standing in the back or foreground, in his painting smock.

And we don't need to limit ourselves to first parties when playing this game...~

So, next. MissingNo. Listen, I actually don't have much of an idea as to how the hell this fighter would work, and its inclusion is typically only seen on preteen meme dream lists, but I've internally sold myself on it being a good idea.. at the very least it'd be a hilarious PokeBall inclusion, but, I digress.

Game hacking and cheating more specifically are huge mainstays of gaming and the culture surrounding it – and if WTF characters are geared toward celebrating hardware and odd quirks of the culture, then I think MissingNo. covers a few key bases.

I'd just suggest something like a GameShark/Game Genie character but there's probably tense licensing issues with those peripherals, and, hey, a WTF Pokemon character is one of the last things anyone would anticipate.

It wouldn't even need to be MissingNo., necessarily. It almost borders on being too close to Shrek and SpongeBob. A character that hacks or “glitches” the battlefield would be a lot of fun, however, and could still somehow be tied to cheating/code devices.
~~
Things like WTF items and stages are also a lot of fun to think about. A WTF item I've been thinking about, for example, would be something like an arcade cabinet item that is obtained/activated like an Assist Trophy, but instead of actually summoning AI help to the battlefield, the player would take control of a very barebones “game” UI (Space Invaders, for example) overlay that appears. Of course, the enemies you'd be aiming for in any given context of arcade game would be the other players/fighters. It'd be sort of a combination of AT/the dragoon parts/and a weaker Final Smash, in theory.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/super-smash-bros-switch
So apparently Smash is on the EShop now.
Probably just a demo or even only a preorder, but just imagine. If they blow their load on June 12th with reveals and info, after the grand finale of the tournament, Sakurai and/or Reggie come out and say "And it's out, RIGHT NOW!"

yeah, i was wondering something similar. very doubtful, but imagine if they release post conference, they wouldnt need to worry about leaks, and it would be literal blitzkrieg against the internet. And people would enter the game not knowing the full roster, or changes or anything.

Agian, very doubtful, but i cant imagine Nintendo managing to create such an impact otherwise.

Agreeing with the "sora would be great, and doesnt need disney content" crowd.

Man I know gematsu was crazy and all that, but I didnt expect there to be so much discussion for leaks like this hahah. Feels like everytime I pop-in it's Ridley time.

Yeah it's exciting but sheesh. You would think gameplay has been shown with how popular it is. I've got my own opinions/knowledge, but I do think the best course of action would be to keep expectations in check as usual. The only thing to expect in smash is expect the unexpected. Although RIdley is THE unexpected so. . .
:061:

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
You know that out of all of the Kingdom Hearts game, Sora is with Donald and Goofy as a team only for two games? Those two games being KH/KHII and that, starting with KHII they made more and more boss battle/Battle and games where Sora have to fight alone right?
Donal and Goofy are a non-issues in Sora's inclusion.

At worst, you'll get them for a Trinity Final Smash cameo.
But any person with minimum taste will tell you that Sora's best Solo move that could fit in a final smash that isn't Drive form would be Ragnarok, or a combo of Ars Arcanum and Ragnarok

Sora legitimately and ultimately fill all of the bills to get in Smash. And it's not our favorite Duck and Dog that's the problem, it's the Licencing issue, but we now know how does it work thanks to that KHIII event, so it's up to Sakurai/Square/Disney
I believe Sora have no problem with being added, if Sakurai wanted he could add him, he could totally not add goofy and donald, not even for a cameo if that was too much for him.
Sora is a videogame character, doesn't matters if disney is involved, is still a 100% videogame character.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
I legitimately believe that if Sora get in, his classic mode "credit picture" will be him/Cloud and Duck Hunt.
If pic of the day comes back, I could totally see something like that happening in one of the pictures.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Yeah, I really don't get the "roster will get too big!" alarmists...

"Menu will clutter/too many options" - More content = more fun. I'm sure they'll make it work.
"Too unbalanced at a competitive level" - The competitive community has survived on massively unbalanced rosters before.
"A lot of extra work for the developers" - ...so? This is what they get paid to do, yes?

I mean sure, there will come a day where it reaches a cap, but as the end user, if the programmers can crank out 200 characters then I'll gladly accept 200 characters.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I legitimately believe that if Sora get in, his classic mode "credit picture" will be him/Cloud and Duck Hunt.
But Duck Hunt is sitting out cold in the corner with a rock sitting next to his head, re-creating the most tradgic loss since Aertih's death in FF7.

RIP Goofy, 2015- A Few Minutes After That Same Point in 2015.

Because we totally believe Disney would let you get away with killing off one of their characters, Square.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I doubt that. Snake was in DreamMix TV World Fighters and he doesn't play the same in Smash. Simon Belmont was also in that game and he might be in Smash too if the rumors are true.
Yeah but DreamMix TV World Fighters is...DreamMix TV World Fighters lol. They could do it if they really wanted of course but it might be a better idea to avoid the direct comparison to their biggest rival game I think.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

"Menu will clutter/too many options" - More content = more fun. I'm sure they'll make it work.
"Too unbalanced at a competitive level" - The competitive community has survived on massively unbalanced rosters before.
"A lot of extra work for the developers" - ...so? This is what they get paid to do, yes?

I mean sure, there will come a day where it reaches a cap, but as the end user, if the programmers can crank out 200 characters then I'll gladly accept 200 characters.
>2002 Ridley is in melee Intro
>2007 Ridley is too big
>2014 Ridley is still too big
>2018 the roster is now too big for Ridley to join.

GEEEE THANKS MASHED POTATOES SAMURAI!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Ridley is always rumored.... he was rumored in Smash 4 too. Look how that turned out.

Every time a new Smash comes out some "rumour" pops up with Ridley in it and every time he doesn't get in. I'm not at all surprised if this is all bull... we may not even need to wait till Nintendo does their direct we may find out sooner that this is a bunch of malarkey.
to my knowledge ridley was never part of any credible rumour, the only major thing he was part of was tower of smash which came way late and was obviously fake.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

You'd play a roster of 200 characters? Yeah then I don't think there's any common ground we can have. Nothing wrong with that opinion, obviously. Just not something I can comprehend. I find the current roster already feeling really large. I have a hard time picking a character because the screen is so cluttered, and sometimes I forget certain characters exist.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
to my knowledge ridley was never part of any credible rumour, the only major thing he was part of was tower of smash which came way late and was obviously fake.
Glad to hear this. I've only experienced pre-release Ridley anticipation during Smash 4, so I was curious as to what it was like beforehand because I at least want to know if all this crazy rumors, teasing, and hints to his inclusion were any different from before.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I really don't have an issue with 100+ characters I just don't see it happening even after Smash Switch.

Also crap, I used to live in NYC and played Smash 4 at Nintendo NY after E3. In my oppinion that probably means we aren't getting a demo yet, otherwise why host that when you can play at home.

I hope they have it at local stores, even for a limited time.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I mean I'm sure there will eventually be a cap to how many characters we can have, but as far as I'm concerned we aren't close to reaching it yet.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Source Gaming rated Lycanroc today.

Feels like the observations were fair. However, most of the YouTube comments are atrocious. Seems like anyone who isn't deep into Smash speculation is still under the impression that Decidueye is literally the only reasonable Pokémon choice.

Last edited:

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
We need Tbal 2 reps for smash!

How you could say no to such memorable characters such as "Dog" and "White ferret"?
And who could forget classic characters such as "Totem 2nd" or "Black Attacker?"

(I've never even heard of this game before, this is honestly hilarious.)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ridley is always rumored.... he was rumored in Smash 4 too. Look how that turned out.

Every time a new Smash comes out some "rumour" pops up with Ridley in it and every time he doesn't get in. I'm not at all surprised if this is all bull... we may not even need to wait till Nintendo does their direct we may find out sooner that this is a bunch of malarkey.
Well yes but this time its different

Its the only one that holds the water

Part of it was 2 komani games of 61 would be for the switch and ones compilation and other on action/adventure

He got that right on the nose

And one of those could be castlevania which would explain the Simon part to promote that

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779

Feels like the observations were fair. However, most of the YouTube comments are atrocious. Seems like anyone who isn't deep into Smash speculation is still under the impression that Decidueye is literally the only reasonable Pokémon choice.
To me every single Lycanroc pitch is just silly though, and is a massive stretch by Lycanroc fans to make him seem like a unique or interesting pick.

You either have to break the rules of Lycanroc, and allow him to switch between forms (which you cannot do in Pokemon), or make the character multiple Lycanrocs that you switch between. The former of which is bending the character where it's not even Lycanroc, the latter is just too silly and convoluted to justify making it work in the first place.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Didn't you report last Saturady that Nintendo and Smash materials should arrive tomorrow (Sunday) and then start building on Monday?
Now it turns out everything arrived today? I'm confused.
Those have been there for days. Booth construction usually starts on Thursdays.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
It really is crazy coming to a Smashboards that treats Ridley like a guarantee for a new Smash Bros. game. I still find it almost too good to be true.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Honestly my biggest issue with the 100+ characters thing is that while it's probably possible, are there even enough worthwhile characters to make said 100+ character roster? we're already running low on decent choices tbh. And will the series still be going on to even reach that point? it really feels like the smash series kinda has to come to an end eventually and will sakurai still want to direct the games? will they get a new director? will they let the series end with him leaving? Sad to say but it really feels like this should be the last smash game tbh, or at least the last for a VERY long time.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Decidueye isn't the only reasonable Pokemon choice but Lycanroc absolutely isn't reasonable and just ****ing sucks because Game Freak doesn't know how to market it

Zeox

Smash Champion
Honestly my biggest issue with the 100+ characters thing is that while it's probably possible, are there even enough worthwhile characters to make said 100+ character roster?
there are a lot of characters from classic games that could be in smash, if we expand the franchises we have, like star fox, f-zero, kirby, etc... I believe not only we can have +100 characters, but even +200 characters and still being good original and interesting characters.

?????????????

Smash Master
To me every single Lycanroc pitch is just silly though, and is a massive stretch by Lycanroc fans to make him seem like a unique or interesting pick.

You either have to break the rules of Lycanroc, and allow him to switch between forms (which you cannot do in Pokemon), or make the character multiple Lycanrocs that you switch between. The former of which is bending the character where it's not even Lycanroc, the latter is just too silly and convoluted to justify making it work in the first place.
Now, I DO think Lycanroc has plenty to stand on it's own. Just being a Rock type gives it enough unique moves to be a good Smash character, and you'd obviously stick with the Dusk Form, since it's the "big, special" form of Lycanroc that HAS, additionally, been heavily promoted in both US/UM as well as the anime.

All that said, I find Lycanroc to be a relatively uninteresting Pokemon in general. But that is 100% opinionated, and probably biased from the fact I really want a Grass starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom