• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Hey now, I'm not meaning to throw out insults. I'm just blunt with stuff like this. If you legit took that as an insult then I'm sorry I didn't articulate myself better.

All I'm saying is you're not mentioning anything we haven't already discussed, and the point you brought up changes literally nothing about the leak's current stance and just seems like reaching to me.
It's hard for me to keep up and Smashboards isn't running well for me at the moment, so Im not sure what has and has not been talked about, I was just coming in here late and talking about what I read. I'll just stick to the K. Rool boards. I'm not trying to start arguments or not add anything constructive.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Here is my first adempt (ever in smash history) at a roster prediction
I assume everyone is returning from Smash4, and that the Brawl cuts come back, I don't think this roster is too unrealitic, but still would feel like the perfect roster for me

(I also had fun making the menu in the same black/white style as the logo)
Who's that to the left of the king of hyrule?

and not gone lie the king of hyrule, cappy and funky kong feel like strange choices for a prediction roster tbh

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion

Here is my first adempt (ever in smash history) at a roster prediction
I assume everyone is returning from Smash4, and that the Brawl cuts come back, I don't think this roster is too unrealitic, but still would feel like the perfect roster for me

(I also had fun making the menu in the same black/white style as the logo)
how would Cappy work?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It's hard for me to keep up and Smashboards isn't running well for me at the moment, so Im not sure what has and has not been talked about, I was just coming in here late and talking about what I read. I'll just stick to the K. Rool boards. I'm not trying to start arguments or not add anything constructive.
That's fair, I apologize for coming down so hard on you. I'm a bit no-nonsense with things like this.

I am ridley for this E3

You couldn't hide the truth from us, you rascal. Take off the mask!

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
You'd play a roster of 200 characters? Yeah then I don't think there's any common ground we can have. Nothing wrong with that opinion, obviously. Just not something I can comprehend. I find the current roster already feeling really large. I have a hard time picking a character because the screen is so cluttered, and sometimes I forget certain characters exist.
200 is a slight exaggeration, but really, I'm the type of guy that loves to try out all the different characters. Having that many to choose from wouldn't deter me at all. In fact, "forgetting someone existed" would only mean I get to rediscover them :p

I get that won't work for everyone though, for sure.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
that's kinda what I meant by "without feeling forced" that idea just doesn't sit right with me tbh
If you had no arms but had geokinesis, isn’t that what you’d do? How is it forced when it’s your only practical option?
(I don’t think that method should be used in general anyway over carrying stuff in its mouth or on its back, though, just for the stuff where it’s really necessary, if there is any. No way to tell which items are coming back yet.)

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
That's fair, I apologize for coming down so hard on you. I'm a bit no-nonsense with things like this.

You couldn't hide the truth from us, you rascal. Take off the mask!

I understand. Tension's are getting high and people just want news.... I just want to see K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo, and Dixie so I never have to play another Smash game... I will have received my perfect roster and hang my speculation cap.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
This section of that article worries me: "Of course, we still don't know what the new Super Smash Bros. for Switch is, exactly. When asked directly, Trinen was cagey and wouldn't specify whether it was a new game altogether or a port of the Wii U title for the new console ("Stay tuned" were his exact words), but he did drop a few hints. "

Obviously it's not going to be a straight port... but why did he say "Stay tuned" and not just say "Yeah of course it's a new game." I think this is first time people have even had to ask if it's a remaster or port. Like why not just announce a brand new Smash Bros, like they did every time before?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They want to specifically show off a lot of the game's features, but they still want to keep more surprises to reveal at a later date?

It's over. This is a port, guys.
What is this gigantic jump in logic?

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
Who's that to the left of the king of hyrule?

and not gone lie the king of hyrule, cappy and funky kong feel like strange choices for a prediction roster tbh
Yes they are strange choice, I don't think we can predict Sakurai without taking a risk :p
So I went for the strange but still 'I didn't expect him but he actually fits well in the roster'' characters

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Obviously it's not going to be a straight port... but why did he say "Stay tuned" and not just say "Yeah of course it's a new game." I think this is first time people have even had to ask if it's a remaster or port. Like why not just announce a brand new Smash Bros, like they did every time before?
See my man....THIS is what I talked before, about NDA. You DONT decconfirm OR Confirm anything. You give a vague answers.
Why would he ruin the surprise on an Article when E3 is like, less than a week away? That would be dumb.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
There are no more characters yet to be revealed, the game is just a port + inklings obviously :troll:
We're cutting 90% of the roster. The few veterans you see in the trailer are it, plus the Inklings.

52e.png

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Man, I hope there is still a chance for a September release. I could do with October but anytime after that, it will likely become a Christmas gift for me. Nevermind E3, I just want to get my hands on this game ASAP.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
This section of that article worries me: "Of course, we still don't know what the new Super Smash Bros. for Switch is, exactly. When asked directly, Trinen was cagey and wouldn't specify whether it was a new game altogether or a port of the Wii U title for the new console ("Stay tuned" were his exact words), but he did drop a few hints. "

I feel like even something as simple as "Yes it's a new game" would get him in a bit of trouble. It's not really his place to say what the game is, if that makes any sense? NDA is weird, trust me, I've been under it before, albeit with extremely small projects. You can't really say anything about what it is, even something as simple as that. It gives people expectations for something Bill doesn't exactly have direct involvement in. Given his position, he'd be speaking as an outsider, not a developer of the game, and you can't really do that.

If anything I feel like them stating how much new stuff they have to show off is indication enough that it's something mostly new.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yes they are strange choice, I don't think we can predict Sakurai without taking a risk :p
So I went for the strange but still 'I didn't expect him but he actually fits well in the roster'' characters
Tbh I don't really agree with the idea that sakurai is hard to predict, all the smash 4 newcomers were predictable and expected except for wii fit, rosalina, greninja and duck hunt (he's a retro tho, they're kinda all unpredictable) and even then rosa and greninja aren't as out there are say the king of hyrule imo lol

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Would Tabuu (the boss from subspace emissary) count as a WTF character?
Technically, if we start getting a bit crazy, Brawl is one of the most popular Nintendo games of all time. Having one of the most popular Nintendo games of all time lack representation in a game that celebrates everything about Nintendo is a bit weird. At the end of the day, Smash is an original Nintendo IP too, and it should absolutely have a place in Smash!

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
>Items confirmed
>Modes confirmed
How does it feel knowing that this is literally the most information we've gotten about the game in months?
This is my favorite statement by far.

Speaking of info, it seems as if For Glory and For Fun online modes may be returning. As I signed up for the Smash Demo at E3, it gave me the option to either play For Glory or for Fun.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Would Tabuu (the boss from subspace emissary) count as a WTF character?
Definitely.

Contrary to popular opinion I don't think Sakurai aims to include WTF characters though, the surprise characters tend to be ones representing a peripheral (Game & Watch, R.O.B, Wii Fit), so I think that's something Sakurai aims to include every game, like with retro characters. and we just haven't expected that in the past.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Main gimmick or not, there's plenty more to Lycanroc than just, "It's nighttime! Can't wait for my Rockruff to evolve into a Midnight Lycanroc!" It's got it's own exclusive Z-move, and that's something not many Pokémon can say. It also has geokinesis, which is something you could easily get creative with when making a moveset.
Just playing devil's advocate, because I get this as a Mimikyu supporter, but Lycanroc's Z-Move wasn't until Ultra and probably wasn't looked at when making the project plan thus probably didn't play a part in deciding unique Sun & Moon Pokemon. I'm not sure if Dusk form would have been decided by then but I personally think so.

Also to the idea of it summoning rocks and using geo-kinesis to lift objects...yea that's forcing it seeing as Lycanroc never does anything like that in any source material. However as people have said in the past that's probably the last reason Lycanroc wouldn't get chosen, even if Sakurai has to make up a new gimmick where it can't pick up two handed objects.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Man, I hope there is still a chance for a September release. I could do with October but anytime after that, it will likely become a Christmas gift for me. Nevermind E3, I just want to get my hands on this game ASAP.
Its still pretty likely september with the online service launching along side it imo, as "pokemon lets go..." is confirmed for mid november and they like to stagger big releases.

I mean it could still easily be october or December too but i still say along side the online makes the most sense, most likely september/october as pokemons in november and december is cutting it close to holidays and generally you want that stuff on the shelves for a couple months so kids beg for it in advance.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Considering Let's Go games are leaning towards more casual Pokemon fans?

It makes sense for a November/December release for Smash Brothers.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Tabuu would be a surprise. He was missing from Sm4sh. A new story-mode may include him and perhaps a playable version once defeated.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I never want an original Smash Brothers playable character. That is the one and only thing to me that ruins the ''all stars" feel. Nothing created for Smash is an allstar.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
At this point I just want to play the damn game.

If there is a demo available at Nintendo NY, there’s gonna be a HUGE line to play.
You either have to break the rules of Lycanroc, and allow him to switch between forms (which you cannot do in Pokemon)
You can just have Lycanroc switch out with another Lycanroc in a different form.

EDIT: Nevermind I forgot to read the last part. I just want Lycanroc playable because Midday and Midnight Lycanroc were basically the only reason why I bought Pokémon US/UM and got into Pokémon in the first place, compared to other Gen 7 Pokémon that are beaten to death that I honestly don’t care about them anymore.

I used to like Decidueye and Mimikyu, but when they’re the only Pokémon talked about day after day after day, when you have so many options like UBs or Lycanroc, or Sivally, I honestly didn’t find them unique anymore and stopped caring about them, and would rather have someone else.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Tabuu is better suited as a boss character. Hell I'd take him as an unlock able boss character to fight against if Smash brings back the Boss modes

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
At this point I just want to play the damn game.

If there is a demo available at Nintendo NY, there’s gonna be a HUGE line to play.
On the contrary when I played Smash 4 at the Nintendo Store for E3 2014 it wasn't bad at all! I got there early which means I got to play quick but I totally didn't have to because I was able to get back online after I played and played two more times within an hour (probably less).

Really if you're coming from far away I wouldn't recommend getting there super early, you'll defintely have multiple chances to play.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The funny thing is, the closest we have to playable Smash OC's are just unique interpretations of characters. Giga Bowser is basically just a stronger Giant Bowser by all means, and the Mii Fighters are just an original moveset to Smash itself, befitting how they're programmed to play based upon the current game they're in. Thus, they don't have their own "specific" moveset, but still kept their avatar role pretty well. In a way, they are really accurate to what they were meant to be. And then there's Mr. Game & Watch.

I don't think we'll get a proper playable Smash OC.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
I suddenly have this strange feeling that this Smash game is going to have a Splatoon/Overwatch model. Smaller base game that expands as time goes on to keep it relevant and to keep people playing it longer.

I hope that doesn't happen. One thing I've always loved about the Smash series is they're complete games on their own. The DLC was extra. Fun and (mostly) awesome, but extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom