• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think they'd bring the customization stuff back? Miis? Palutena's 13487098 moves?
I'm actually very unsure of this, custom moves were a good idea in theory, but the implementation was horrible to the point where many people just forgot about them entirely. Personally I hope that they come back, but don't need to be unlocked and can be switched on the characters select screen and be bound to player profiles like controls.
Also, give Ryu alternate costumes of Ken and Akuma and give him their versions of his special moves as custom moves, kind of like Marvel vs Capcom 1, since blah blah Ken flowchart.

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
...Or the Bamco devs could nudge Sakurai away from Decidueye because they’d theoretically want to have Pokken and Smash have fewer characters in common. There really is no way to know either way.
Except they added Lucario instead of the litany of other just as viable fighting types and it's almost certainly because of Smash

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
imo Captain Falcon is the closest example of a Smash OC. They got his background as a bounty hunter and basically made a huge awesome headcanon of how he would fight. So much that the Smash representation influenced other F-Zero media (the biggest example being the Falcon Punch in the F-Zero anime)

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
In a way ROB is almost an OC.
He doesn't original in Smash, for sure, but his only substantial in-game role and almost all of his characterization come from Brawl.
Technically, that makes him an FC (fan character,) not an OC.
I guess one could argue that the SSE is a fanfic... (We can assume Sakurai is a fan, despite also being hired for the job, right?)

Nielicus

Smash Lord
I'm not joking. He wrote lots of rants, this is just two of them

"If anything, if I do hear more about the game, I'll probably wind up keeping it to myself at this rate because it gets absolutely tiresome repeating myself over and over, telling people the same things, while the same people talk in circles complaining and debating if it's real or fake, and if I'm lying, and tagging me for any of the little pettiest squabbles to comment on something."

"
You don't get it. It's not a tantrum at all. I'm not telling people to go f*** themselves or take showers. It's exhaustion. There's a big difference.

I'm practically on trial to prove myself multiple times a day. And whenever I stand up for myself, people can't handle it. They'll do more mental gymnastics to prove "HE KNOWS NOTHING!"

No matter what I do, people will always have their deadset opinions. If I haven't been able to change that already, I can't change that ever. I accept that fact, but you can't try and tell me for a second that it's not exhausting to constantly try to prove yourself to people who refuse to even give you benefit of the doubt."
That sucks and I hate internet culture but did he actually think he could "leak" some things about the new smash and people wouldn't bombard him? Let's use some common sense lol

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
imo Captain Falcon is the closest example of a Smash OC. They got his background as a bounty hunter and basically made a huge awesome headcanon of how he would fight. So much that the Smash representation influenced other F-Zero media (the biggest example being the Falcon Punch in the F-Zero anime)
:4gaw::4miif:<- Had associate games/things in games, but only exist as entities in Smash because Sakurai took artistic licence. They're basically OCs with existing branding.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You know that out of all of the Kingdom Hearts game, Sora is with Donald and Goofy as a team only for two games? Those two games being KH/KHII and that, starting with KHII they made more and more boss battle/Battle and games where Sora have to fight alone right?
Donal and Goofy are a non-issues in Sora's inclusion.

At worst, you'll get them for a Trinity Final Smash cameo.
But any person with minimum taste will tell you that Sora's best Solo move that could fit in a final smash that isn't Drive form would be Ragnarok, or a combo of Ars Arcanum and Ragnarok

Sora legitimately and ultimately fill all of the bills to get in Smash. And it's not our favorite Duck and Dog that's the problem, it's the Licencing issue, but we now know how does it work thanks to that KHIII event, so it's up to Sakurai/Square/Disney
Hey, if they can put Sora in without literally anything Disney then I won't have a problem. I just have a hard time picturing that happening given how intregal Disney is to kingdom hearts. And Donald and Goofy in a final smash still crosses the line. As does any Disney trophy, assist trophy, and stage related content. If Sora is in without any of that than I'll welcome it.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Except they added Lucario instead of the litany of other just as viable fighting types and it's almost certainly because of Smash
And Lucario still had a movie... and it was still relatively very important in X/Y and got a Mega there, given Pokken was a initially a 6th gen game...

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
So we've kind of forgotten the Inklings and Splatoon now that they were confirmed. We don't talk about them much.

Let's change that.

I want you guys to take make a song list for the inevitable Splatoon stage.

Here are some rules.

• 10 songs total.
  • 9 of these songs must be from Splatoon or Splatoon 2
  • The last song must be from a Nintendo series that will most likely not get a stage
  • 5 of these songs must be remixes of some sort, chose which ones you chose

Go!
I might be misunderstanding the last bullet in which case forgive me.

Splattack! remix
Shellfie
Calamari Inkantation
Octoling Rendezvous remix
Blitz It!
Ebb & Flow remix
Rip Entry
Acid Hues remix
Broken Coral
1 2 Switch Title Screen remix

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
So we've kind of forgotten the Inklings and Splatoon now that they were confirmed. We don't talk about them much.

Let's change that.

Here are some rules.

• 10 songs total.
  • The last song must be from a Nintendo series that will most likely not get a stage

Go!
1.) Splattack!
2.) Calamari Inkantation (Remix)
3.) Inkoming (Remix)
4.) Bomb Rush Blush
5.) Tide Goes Out
6.) Deluge Dirge (Remix)
7.) Cephaloparade (Remix)
8.) Sucker Punch (Remix)
9.) Ink Me Up
10.) Sushi Striker Theme <Not From Splatoon>

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So I just watched the new Mario Tennis Aces video with Rafael Nadal. Great ad!!

Mario actually doesn't win in it for once.

Also Nadal is a Yoshi main.

It's like it was designed to make me personally happy

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Hey guys not sure if this was posted here already but Bill Trinen gave some insight on how the tournament will play

Bill Trinen said:
“The tournament is going to be designed to show quite a bit of the game in terms of modes, characters and items, but obviously we won’t show everything and we’re keeping a few surprises for later in the year.”
Yeah basically nothing too different from the SSB4 one. Seems to be balanced between competitive (high-level famous players) and casual (items, possibly some more gimmicky stages)
btw that quote was his "answer" to the port/sequel dillemma aside from a "Stay tuned", so basically he dodged it lmao

Source

Last edited:

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys not sure if this was posted here already but Bill Trinen gave some insight on how the tournament will play

Yeah basically nothing too different from the SSB4 one. Seems to be balanced between competitive (high-level famous players) and casual (items, possibly some more gimmicky stages)
btw that quote was his "answer" to the port/sequel dillemma aside from a "Stay tuned", so basically he dodged it lmao

Source
That's perfect, we get to see everyone and everything.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Oh wait if items are in it seems we'll see some characters being deconfirmed live at the tournament if they are ATs/Pokeball Pokemon! Wow that will be thrilling

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Oh boy...

You're one of THOSE Fire Emblem fans...

Roy isn't even bad in Smash 4 and he's pretty good in Heroes.

Lay off it man.
If you only count SSB4 tier list placements, he’s pretty bad (maybe even the worst idk)...as for Heroes...Lyn > (not related to Doy I know, but Lyn is bae)

:roymelee: That guy?
He debuted in smash before his own game.
And basically his WHOOOOLE character and personality was made up for smash compared from his main game, then IS copy it in his next appearance (Awakening DLC's and Heroes)
:4feroy: Unique Smash Design to the point that in the later appearance IS mimic it in their official product (Cipher and Heroes)

Roy is the closest that we have to a Smash OC.
Wouldn’t the Miis and FE avatars be the closest thing to a Smash OC?

Let's change that.

Here are some rules.

• 10 songs total.

Go!
Splatoon 1- Splattack (remixes and unremixed), Calamari Inkantation, I Am Octavio
Splatoon 2- Ebb & Flow, Color Pulse, Nasty Majesty, Tidal Rush
Both- Now or Never (for timed battles)
Loner- something water or squid related

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Miis existed outside of Smash for the longest while. While all their combat potential is based off nothing and made up, they still technically "existed" on their own.

The FE Avatars are OCs and are in Smash, but they aren't "Smash OCs"

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Miis yeah but the FE avatars bring the personalities and the default names/appearances/voice actors from their games, so imo they aren't really OCs

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
... FE avatars be the closest thing to a Smash OC?
Robin and Corrin are specific characters with specific personalities in Fire Emblem, despite the fact that you can pick a gender and their appearances can be customized in FE. Regardless, they both have a canon male and canon female appearance, which are the default two in Smash.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If you only count SSB4 tier list placements, he’s pretty bad (maybe even the worst idk)...as for Heroes...Lyn > (not related to Doy I know, but Lyn is bae)
>Roy with QR Binding Blade +Dragon efficacity >>>>Anything Lyn does in Heroes.
Fight me.

Also the Smash 4 Tiers list isn't something I would really look into, when you see that Ike is now right next to Roy when last time he was in High tiers. That show you how little is the gap between character, the only big gap being the top 5 with the rest of the cast. Otherwise, all characters are fair game imo

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
A Smash OC, in my eyes, would have to be a character that was made specifically for Super Smash Bros., no ifs or buts about it.

The way I see it the only "Smash OC" we have in the playable roster is :4gaw:, and even then that's kinda stretching it.

Minch

Smash Rookie
Smash does not have any original playable characters.

Yes a lot of characters have Smash original movesets but that doesn't make them original Smash Bros. characters . Captain Falcon, Roy, Game & Watch, Miis are all based off of existing franchises and characters.

We honestly don't need any original Smash fighters. Having Master Hand playable completely ruins the point of that character. Tabuu would be cool, but I wouldn't want him over an established Nintendo character. And I'd rather have Darker Pit than a Primid.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Man this thread moves so fast people are reposting everything XD.

No offense to the people doing that it just moves way to fast for people who aren't checking every minute.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Using a character's tier and viability as a basis for them being deserving or undeserving to get in next game is ridiculous.
Ask Abra.
Alright, I'll go ask them, thanks for the advice.
Don't the Miis have the Smash icon for their logo?

I'm not sure. I forget they even exist
They do have the smash ball as their logo, you're right.
Fight me.

Also the Smash 4 Tiers list isn't something I would really look into, when you see that Ike is now right next to Roy when last time he was in High tiers. That show you how little is the gap between character, the only big gap being the top 5 with the rest of the cast. Otherwise, all characters are fair game imo
*Laughs in Jigglypuff*

You have no idea how much I wish that was true.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Man this thread moves so fast people are reposting everything XD.

No offense to the people doing that it just moves way to fast for people who aren't checking every minute.
By the way did you hear a new Smash Bros game was just announced for the Switch? AND IT HAS BOTW LINK! Omg I hope Ridley is in!

Polan

Smash Lord
Oh wait if items are in it seems we'll see some characters being deconfirmed live at the tournament if they are ATs/Pokeball Pokemon! Wow that will be thrilling
e3 is absolutely going to be a massacre when it comes to characters. assists, pokeballs and stage hazards/backgrounds, bosses, trophies and the Master Troll himself, Sakurai, there are so many ways for characters to get deconfirmed.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Mr. Game and Watch is a literal Smash OC.

Also I understand Verg's frustration, but when you leak characters like Snake, Simon, and, for God's sake, Ridley, you need to expect to be able to take flak. Especially from one of the most toxic communities on the planet.

In terms of release date, I feel like it will be the exact date of online. Nintendo knows how much people love online, and it would be dumb to make us fight offline for a month.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Correct, just like in Smashbros, Roy is a trash-tier garbage unit in his own game!
I would recommend you put those words down. And fast.

Or I'm going to grab my Binding Blade and cut your hands off for the character bashing

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'd like to see what point of time that was a thing.
My mistake. August 2016 1.1.6 Ike was Middle and Roy was right before bottom low- There so many characters that it seems like there a big gap-

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
In the wake of this Smash OC discussion. I've actually thought of a character actually managing to be unique, and be part of the Smash History.

Primid. Yes, the Primid character is simple, likeable (IMO), and could use a lot of different tools.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Miis existed outside of Smash for the longest while. While all their combat potential is based off nothing and made up, they still technically "existed" on their own.
The FE Avatars are OCs and are in Smash, but they aren't "Smash OCs"
Robin and Corrin are specific characters with specific personalities in Fire Emblem, despite the fact that you can pick a gender and their appearances can be customized in FE. Regardless, they both have a canon male and canon female appearance, which are the default two in Smash.
Miis yeah but the FE avatars bring the personalities and the default names/appearances/voice actors from their games, so imo they aren't really OCs
Just checking
Fight me.

A Lyn that has been able to take all Roys down > anything about Roy
Imma fight

As for the tier list...my boy Pit is still being done dirty while the Top 5 roam the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom