• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh yeah, Cooking Mama.

Remember when everyone thought she was made by Nintendo themselves?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
A notable effort "leak" has arisen from /v/ about a new F-Zero game.
While I don't think it's real, it is a pretty decent effort leak compared to most.
I know it's fake, but I secretly want to call it real anyway since I've desperately wanted a new F-Zero game for over a decade.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Hypothetical time.

The Pokémon newcomer isn't Decidueye, Lycanroc, Incineroar, Mimikyu, Tapu Koko, or any of the other expected ones. Instead, it's Golisopod...but not just Golisopod. In the background, Guzma is giving Golisopod orders, and helps out in the Final Smash by allowing Golisopod to use its Bug Z-Move.

How would you react?
I'd be pretty happy with that.

Guzma is a pretty good character and Golisopod is one of my favorite Bug Type Pokémon. I feel that would be a fun addition to have to the game, especially since I'd like to see how they'd implement First Impression.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

An example on how I feel about most "this is a port" arguments I've seen since the teaser trailer.
Everytime someone even dares to argue about this game beign a port im tempted to just copy and pase that huge wall of text that i did a while ago.

I don't care if it becomes the next "you need a very high IQ" or "Navy Seal" copypasta meme in the process.

Hypothetical time.

The Pokémon newcomer isn't Decidueye, Lycanroc, Incineroar, Mimikyu, Tapu Koko, or any of the other expected ones. Instead, it's Golisopod...but not just Golisopod. In the background, Guzma is giving Golisopod orders, and helps out in the Final Smash by allowing Golisopod to use its Bug Z-Move.

How would you react?
Golisopod is a super cool pokemon so. . .hell yeah i'd love that.

Of the 5 other pokemon you listed, i would put Golisopod in third place :p
:061:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Except from the Splat Attack theme/Squid Kid theme, there is just one other I really want to see! Especially if the Octolings somehow makes it in, as I was mesmarized with this track when I first heard it;

Zeox

Smash Champion
Golisopod is probably one of my favorite pokemons from this last generation, I doubt he would be the new smash pokemon but if he was I would have the opposite of a problem.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Golisopod is probably one of my favorite pokemons from this last generation, I doubt he would be the new smash pokemon but if he was I would have the opposite of a problem.
Could see him replacing Scizor as a sharp One-Hit-KO Pokémon you wish to look out for.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have been researching on how many characters sakurai has added for a franchise per installment, and it is interesting that there has been at least two franchises that has gotten two unique newcomers. Melee with Mario and Zelda. Brawl with Pokemon and Kirby. Smash 4 with Mario and Fire Emblem. It kinda makes me think that Sakurai has a maximum capacity of adding 2 unique newcomers from an already represented franchise when doing Smash project plans. I do not really count clones from Smash 4 and Melee, because those characters like Young Link and Dark Pit were not planned from the start until later in development. Do you think that 2 unique newcomers would be his maximum capacity when considering adding multiple newcomers from an already represented franchise?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I have been researching on how many characters sakurai has added for a franchise per installment, and it is interesting that there has been at least two franchises that has gotten two unique newcomers. Melee with Mario and Zelda. Brawl with Pokemon and Kirby. Smash 4 with Mario and Fire Emblem. It kinda makes me think that Sakurai has a maximum capacity of adding 2 unique newcomers from an already represented franchise when doing Smash project plans. I do not really count clones from Smash 4 and Melee, because those characters like Young Link and Dark Pit were not planned from the start until later in development. Do you think that 2 unique newcomers would be his maximum capacity when considering adding multiple newcomers from an already represented franchise?
Eh, I think it's merely a coincidence...

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
This time better be Donkey Kong and Metroid.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I'd be pretty happy with that.

Guzma is a pretty good character and Golisopod is one of my favorite Bug Type Pokémon. I feel that would be a fun addition to have to the game, especially since I'd like to see how they'd implement First Impression.
Bigger question, how would they implement Emergency Exit if it's his only Pokemon? Would it just increase evasion or something temporarily once it reaches around 60%, or cause it to suddenly teleport out of a combo, or what?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Problem with your analysis doc, Smash 4 only got one unique FE newcomer pre-DLC, Corn wasn't planned until well after development.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Well yeah, Sakurai has stated that representation among franchises is taken into account, any more than 2 unique newcomers seems like pushing it, there's already fans that scream bias at a franchise getting just 1 newcomer and a clone lol.

I don't think Fire emblem counts since one was dlc tho

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Just playing devil's advocate, because I get this as a Mimikyu supporter, but Lycanroc's Z-Move wasn't until Ultra and probably wasn't looked at when making the project plan thus probably didn't play a part in deciding unique Sun & Moon Pokemon. I'm not sure if Dusk form would have been decided by then but I personally think so.

Also to the idea of it summoning rocks and using geo-kinesis to lift objects...yea that's forcing it seeing as Lycanroc never does anything like that in any source material. However as people have said in the past that's probably the last reason Lycanroc wouldn't get chosen, even if Sakurai has to make up a new gimmick where it can't pick up two handed objects.
If the Z-Move is a Final Smash, then I don't see why it would be too late. Smash 4 started development in mid 2012 (a year and a half before X and Y was released), yet Lucario and Charizard still got Mega Evolutions. I don't see why Mimikyu or Lycanroc couldn't accomplish the same thing.

And as for Lycanroc sticking to source material... Lucario and his aura mechanic?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I log in for the first time in months and the first thing I see is a comment mentioning Furaffinity. Clearly I've missed a lot lol.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If the Z-Move is a Final Smash, then I don't see why it would be too late. Smash 4 started development in mid 2012 (a year and a half before X and Y was released), yet Lucario and Charizard still got Mega Evolutions. I don't see why Mimikyu or Lycanroc couldn't accomplish the same thing.

And as for Lycanroc sticking to source material... Lucario and his aura mechanic?
TBH, If Lycanroc does get in Smash, I do wonder what kind of mechanic he will make up for the Pokemon. Greninja didn't have much of a mechanic back in Smash 4, and I would love to see him do something experimental for Lycanroc.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So we've kind of forgotten the Inklings and Splatoon now that they were confirmed. We don't talk about them much.

Let's change that.

I want you guys to take make a song list for the inevitable Splatoon stage.

Here are some rules.

• 10 songs total.
  • 9 of these songs must be from Splatoon or Splatoon 2
  • The last song must be from a Nintendo series that will most likely not get a stage
  • 5 of these songs must be remixes of some sort, chose which ones you chose

Go!
1: Splattack! (Splatoon 1 Main theme - Original)
2: Splattack! (Splatoon 1 Main theme - Remix)
3: Calamari Inkantation (Splatoon 1 - Remix)
4: Bomb Rush Blush (Splatoon 1 - Remix)
5: Tide Goes Out (Splatoon 1 - Original)
5: Colour Pulse (Splatoon 2 - Original)
6: Ink Me Up (Splatoon 1 - Remix)
7: Ebb & Flow (Splatoon 2 - Remix)
8: Shellfie (Chirpy Chips) (Splatoon 1 - Original)
9: Octoling Rendezvous (Splatoon 1/2 - Original)
10: Codename S.T.E.A.M Main Theme (Codename S.T.E.A.M - Original)

Jumped ahead to post this and there's Golisopod and/or Guzma Talk? Now that'd be pretty interesting and out of nowhere, with no objections from me.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yeah, as much as people (Myself included) are not a fan of FE's over representation, it honestly like... Probably wasn't intentional.

Since we already had Mewtwo coming back, Roy was easily the most requested Melee Veteran to return (Well besides Icies, but 3DS). So he, along with Lucas for Brawl's returning character, were picked. Roy and Lucas are actually pretty popular picks among the casual crowds too, for some weird reason.

Then they wanted to have a character to advertise an upcoming Nintendo game, and at the time, the only real option that was far enough in development at the time was Fates. Therefore, Corrin.

So I don't think the over abundance of FE was at ALL intentional, in fact it was mostly coincidence, at least for Roy.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I log in for the first time in months and the first thing I see is a comment mentioning Furaffinity. Clearly I've missed a lot lol.
You sure have

Basicly everyone is talking to be patient about E3

And there's a somewhat Ridley debate all over again

Basicly the vergeben leak (if you heard of it.) gain a little bit of ground since he guess the two konami games on the switch exactly right and yes is connected to this leak (a compilation game for the switch and a action adventure for the switch by konami) and possibly one of those might be castlevania games

And everyone is on war about it ever since advise just assume it's fake despite the evidence to be prepared if it blows up in are faces

In case you don't know the leak
Ridley
Simon Belmont
Snake
Ice climabers

Everybody above are playable

And everybody from smash 4 comes back including dlc (no cuts basicly)

And possible minecraft involvement in smash most likely assist trophy or stage.

Oh and the big thing that will make or break the leak Ridley will be revealed at E3 is another claim

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
TBH, If Lycanroc does get in Smash, I do wonder what kind of mechanic he will make up for the Pokemon. Greninja didn't have much of a mechanic back in Smash 4, and I would love to see him do something experimental for Lycanroc.
Might be pushing it here since this wasn't coined until late summer 2017, but Sakurai could take inspiration from the anime and make Lycanroc "power up" whenever it takes a lot of damage without dealing any to its opponent. Kinda like a rage mechanic made specifically for Lycanroc. If not that, then I can't think of anything else from the top of my head.

Personally, I think it would be best if Sakurai kept it simple. Maybe not quite as simple as Greninja, but nothing too extravagant either. I'd rather see him focus on creating some unique specials instead of making a weird and convoluted gimmick that doesn't suit Lycanroc very well.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Hypothetical time.

How would you react?
I'd be excited to see Golisopod. It's a really cool Pokemon, and I'm a sucker for cheesy, giant, anthropomorphic insects and super-heavyweight/bigbody fighters. Not to mention the potential with First Impression/Emergency Exit.

Bigger question, how would they implement Emergency Exit if it's his only Pokemon? Would it just increase evasion or something temporarily once it reaches around 60%, or cause it to suddenly teleport out of a combo, or what?
:troll:

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Might be pushing it here since this wasn't coined until late summer 2017, but Sakurai could take inspiration from the anime and make Lycanroc "power up" whenever it takes a lot of damage without dealing any to its opponent. Kinda like a rage mechanic made specifically for Lycanroc. If not that, then I can't think of anything else from the top of my head.

Personally, I think it would be best if Sakurai kept it simple. Maybe not quite as simple as Greninja, but nothing too extravagant either. I'd rather see him focus on creating some unique specials instead of making a weird and convoluted gimmick that doesn't suit Lycanroc very well.
Isn't that basically Lucario's playstyle though?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Hypothetical time.

How would you react?
I ain't even mad

That's an amazing thought right there and would be nice to see a Bug type Pokemon this time around

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
You fools. Guzma doesn't need Golisopod.

All he needs to do is say "Y'all are stupid!" and then he wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom