• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
In regards to Lycanroc, I think interesting specials would suffice as Cosmic77 said. Another Aura/Rage mechanic would be a bit disappointing imo at least.

Just giving Lycanroc Stealth Rock would already be a start to making him unique as he'd have a trap among his tools.

He'd have to have Accelerock of course. It'd be great though doubtful if Accelerock functioned like Jon ( Darkstalkers ) and Beowulf's ( Skullgirls ) Beast Cannon/Wulf Blitzer as homage to other wolf themed characters in fighters.

Continuing with the wolf motif maybe give him Howl as well. Few characters have stat buff moves so I think that'd be good to set him apart as well.

And going from an uncommon move to one that's become pretty standard... I really don't want yet another counter, but Counter is an important move for the Lycanroc line because of the Midnight form so I guess that'd have to be included as well.

I could see Stone Edge working as a Down Smash. Bite and Crunch could be incorporated into some other ground attacks and aerials, etc.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
A notable effort "leak" has arisen from /v/ about a new F-Zero game.
While I don't think it's real, it is a pretty decent effort leak compared to most.
OH ****. HOW DID I MISS THIS !?

Well ... If this is real, then I hope it's just a quick prototype teaser. Since the Blue Falcon looks ugly as hell.
Sega being involved is not bad. Sega does make some really good racers, and the fact that they are making one for Sonic at the moment, and have done F-Zero GX in the past, I would feel safe for the time being. IF a new F-Zero do get announced at E3, then I will have to eat my words and do as said, as I stated very early on about Nintendo Switch was; "I'll buy a Switch once Smash and F-Zero is announced", so, that would be my 100% hand over my money to Nintendo, and it is about time we do get a new F-Zero. I've been left in the dark for almost 15 years ...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So, I know that the conversation about favorite Pokemon passed, but I thought I ought to post mine regardless.
oh, are we doing favorite pokemon by type? There's a website that formats that for you, if you pick just one per type.

Here's mine.
Some very solid choices there.
ec68f7586fd9045fbabc8c7e730d8200.jpg
I kinda have a theme going on with soft, round, or yellow things. Unfortunately, the only Pokemon on this list that stand a chance for Smash would be Bewear.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
If the Z-Move is a Final Smash, then I don't see why it would be too late. Smash 4 started development in mid 2012 (a year and a half before X and Y was released), yet Lucario and Charizard still got Mega Evolutions. I don't see why Mimikyu or Lycanroc couldn't accomplish the same thing.

And as for Lycanroc sticking to source material... Lucario and his aura mechanic?
I didn't mean Lycanroc couldn't have it as it's final smash. You just used it as a reason to support it's inclusion. If Mimikyu gets in Snuggle Forever better be it's final smash.

But yea you can't use it as a reason to say the Pokemon Company supported Lycanroc and the time of the project proposal. Well you can, and then I'll say the same about Mimikyu :p

As for the Lucario aura comment...correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Lucario and aura was a big thing in its movie? If you're just saying it didn't have the mechanic in the movie, well that's not the same thing. It had the aura and Sakurai built a mechanic out of it, opposed to giving Lycanroc an ability it has never used in the game or anime. (I get Lycanroc can manipulate the earth, but to carry things would be out of no where)

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, I did my own favorite Pokemon thing but forgot to post it. Here's mine. Also, I've never played Gen 6, so yeah. Don't have a particular desire for any of my favorites to be in Smash though(if they're not already there).

Oh yeah, I did my own favorite Pokemon thing but forgot to post it. Here's mine. Also, I've never played Gen 6, so yeah. Don't have a particular desire for any of my favorites to be in Smash though(if they're not already there).
Oh darn. Doesn't work. Whatevs.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Ah, favorite Pokemon of each type? Excellent. Here's mine.

favorites.jpeg

Now I'm not a very religious man, but Raichu is my spirit animal.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Oh darn. Doesn't work. Whatevs.
You can try downloading the image and uploading it here or on imgur. I can see if when I quote you, but the embed link isn't working for some reason.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
OH ****. HOW DID I MISS THIS !?

Well ... If this is real, then I hope it's just a quick prototype teaser. Since the Blue Falcon looks ugly as hell.
Sega being involved is not bad. Sega does make some really good racers, and the fact that they are making one for Sonic at the moment, and have done F-Zero GX in the past, I would feel safe for the time being. IF a new F-Zero do get announced at E3, then I will have to eat my words and do as said, as I stated very early on about Nintendo Switch was; "I'll buy a Switch once Smash and F-Zero is announced", so, that would be my 100% hand over my money to Nintendo, and it is about time we do get a new F-Zero. I've been left in the dark for almost 15 years ...
You have got to be kidding me

You do realize the switch logo didn't pop out right?

That istaniously confirms the f-zero rumor fake

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Isn't that basically Lucario's playstyle though?
Basically yeah, but that's the only thing I could come up with that wouldn't feel forced. Truth be told, I'm not really rooting for a special gimmick to make Lycanroc unique. I feel like Smash 4 gave us plenty of those.

In regards to Lycanroc, I think interesting specials would suffice as Cosmic77 said. Another Aura/Rage mechanic would be a bit disappointing imo at least.

Just giving Lycanroc Stealth Rock would already be a start to making him unique as he'd have a trap among his tools.

He'd have to have Accelerock of course. It'd be great though doubtful if Accelerock functioned like Jon ( Darkstalkers ) and Beowulf's ( Skullgirls ) Beast Cannon/Wulf Blitzer as homage to other wolf themed characters in fighters.

Continuing with the wolf motif maybe give him Howl as well. Few characters have stat buff moves so I think that'd be good to set him apart as well.

And going from an uncommon move to one that's become pretty standard... I really don't want yet another counter, but Counter is an important move for the Lycanroc line because of the Midnight form so I guess that'd have to be included as well.

I could see Stone Edge working as a Down Smash. Bite and Crunch could be incorporated into some other ground attacks and aerials, etc.
Yeah, this is close to what I always imagined. Stealth Rock is something that would really create some interesting matches, and I always thought Bite would extremely work well for the ariels.

If you want to make Lycanroc, look at the specials, not the gimmicks.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Since all the cool kids are doing it, here’s mine
1B82F2CC-F5C6-4ED1-A68E-690ABD243C13.jpeg

I kinda have a soft spot for the gen 2 Pokemon

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Also in another topic. I was searching for the Nintendo Spotlight last year to see if MP4's teaser had the Switch logo before it, in regards of what ppl have been saying about that ugly F-Zero video (it has btw so it's a valid point)
However, I noticed I can't find the video on Nintendo's channel! It seems they delisted it for some reason???? Can someone find it on their channel? Or the link to see if it's private or unlisted?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Oh we be doing the favorite pokemon thing? Here's mine.

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Also in another topic. I was searching for the Nintendo Spotlight last year to see if MP4's teaser had the Switch logo before it, in regards of what ppl have been saying about that ugly F-Zero video (it has btw so it's a valid point)
However, I noticed I can't find the video on Nintendo's channel! It seems they delisted it for some reason???? Can someone find it on their channel? Or the link to see if it's private or unlisted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFbDmTjS_MI

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
It could be worse...

You could be that person who wants to talk about one thing and one thing only but NOBODY wants to hear it.

I'm totally not one of them. That's silly talk...
Talk Yoshi to me. Talk Yoshi's Flipping Island to me.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Since everyone else is doing it, might as well...

Some of these wre kinda arbitrary as I didn't really have a strong favorite. Notably Ghost and Fairy.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Might be pushing it here since this wasn't coined until late summer 2017, but Sakurai could take inspiration from the anime and make Lycanroc "power up" whenever it takes a lot of damage without dealing any to its opponent. Kinda like a rage mechanic made specifically for Lycanroc. If not that, then I can't think of anything else from the top of my head.

Personally, I think it would be best if Sakurai kept it simple. Maybe not quite as simple as Greninja, but nothing too extravagant either. I'd rather see him focus on creating some unique specials instead of making a weird and convoluted gimmick that doesn't suit Lycanroc very well.
I think is a good idea to make it simple except for one unique mechanic. plus, this move have literally defined generations of competitive pokemon.

Stealth Rock.
Neutral B. lycanrock send 3 projectiles that after traveling a bit , get suspended in the air. Enemies touching them suffer 1% damage per second with no recoil. if stealth rock is already in play
Neutral B. Recall rock. the 3 suspended rocks became projectiles that travel towards Lycanrock, doing 2-3% damage per hit, and slight knockback.

This will sigthly mimic stealth rock mechanics, but also give them a secondary (and unique) reverse projectile mechanich, meaning also that lycanrock can use this projectiles to send the enemies flying towards him, so he can combine with aerial attacks.

The rest of the moveset could be simple stuff, like Sibe B, Accelrock (similar to fox's side B), Up B Rock Climb (similar to screw attack, but with more rocks), down B Counter. Smash attack up and side, Stone edge, Smash attack down, Drill run. and the rest would be simple bites, slashs and spins.

i dont think we have any character with reverse projectile mechanics. plus stealth rock really could be a unique defining characteristic withouth having to reinvent the wheel.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
What fun.

favorite pokemon image (cpokemon).jpg

Heracross was a close second for Fighting.

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I have been researching on how many characters sakurai has added for a franchise per installment, and it is interesting that there has been at least two franchises that has gotten two unique newcomers. Melee with Mario and Zelda. Brawl with Pokemon and Kirby. Smash 4 with Mario and Fire Emblem. It kinda makes me think that Sakurai has a maximum capacity of adding 2 unique newcomers from an already represented franchise when doing Smash project plans. I do not really count clones from Smash 4 and Melee, because those characters like Young Link and Dark Pit were not planned from the start until later in development. Do you think that 2 unique newcomers would be his maximum capacity when considering adding multiple newcomers from an already represented franchise?
I think you need to ask why he added two

In Brawl not only was Pokemon doing well with their main line series (Lucario) but then they brought back the remakes in the same Gen (Pokemon Trainer)(Mind you this was the first time they had done this) and it sold just as well as the main Gen. And then I would say the two Kirby reps were Sakurai's choice.

In Smash 4 Galaxy(Rosalina) sold so well they made a sequel and they brought over the New Super Mario(Bowser Jr) from the hand held system and it sold like hot cakes. And by hot cakes I mean these games were selling in the tens of millions. FE got two characters but I think that was under different circumstances because of DLC.

Melee is also another game where I would say character selection is very different from today. Basically the big three all got a load of additions and that was the extent of character additions (Plus a few others)

When It comes to Smash 5 I think Pokemon is the only one that repeated this trend with the main line of Pokemon doing well as usual but then their formula was shaken up with the addition of Pokemon Go which had over 500 million downloads and lord knows how much profit.

I would love to try and add Zelda in here as I believe they deserve two new characters but all it saw was Hyrule warriors which was different than normal but it wasnt a crazy seller, and its remakes which didnt sell that well. So help me if nothing changes in the Zelda series again...

TLDR: I think series gets 2 characters in Smash when their series adds a new line of games and it is very profitable.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
This is a gun game. To bring it back to Smash... this is the list of Pokemon I would like to see come out of Pokeballs in the new game, based on their types:

favorites.jpg

Bonus if Lycanroc or Mimikyu are playable.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Since y'all wanting to do the Pokemon thing, I'll join in

Let's see if you can spot this below

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if whoever started the favorite pokemon of each type thing intended for it to go on until smash is revealed, possibly after.
Except from the Splat Attack theme/Squid Kid theme, there is just one other I really want to see! Especially if the Octolings somehow makes it in, as I was mesmarized with this track when I first heard it;

YES I listened to this on repeat for a while since that reveal.
My current favorite song in Spla2n is Acid Hues though, I'd love for that to be in.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I wonder if whoever started the favorite pokemon of each type thing intended for it to go on until smash is revealed, possibly after.

YES I listened to this on repeat for a while since that reveal.
My current favorite song in Spla2n is Acid Hues though, I'd love for that to be in.
Frosty!! Get Frosty!!

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
here's my attempt at that Splatoon stage music thingy

1. Ink Me Up (Remix)
2. Calamari Inknation (Remix)
3. Splattack (Remix)
4. Acid Hues (Remix)
5. Octoling Rendezvous
6. DJ Octavio Boss Medley
7. Inkoming
8. Splattack (Original)