• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
X is one of the best games I've ever played and I highly recommend it, but I might be a bit biased because it's Xenoblade.
Let me say this; it took me a long time to get into the original Xenoblade, and Xenoblade 2 hasn't interested me enough from the trailers I've seen to play it immediately.

But I love X. It's not your bias; it's a fantastic game.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I really hope they don't try to make too many gimmicky characters this time around. I want the characters to function like a normal character who just has some different moves and weight and stuff without all the extra hoo-hah. I don't need to throw away my tomes after so many uses, I don't need a KO meter, I don't need Bats Within. I just want functional characters who do things somewhat differently than the others.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Its funny that Bluepikmin's obscure picks are so famous among Smash speculators that I even just saw him mentioned on a 4chan "leak", presumably because it included Hanafuda lmao. You truly are a legend, BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 , whether it's for good reasons or bad.

Link if you're interested, everyone bewear (haha), its 4chan. Enter at your own risk
>Rex
>Ashley
>Elma, who I have recently begun to support
>Paper Mario
>Simon Belmont, the only character from the verg leak I liked

images.jpg

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Let me say this; it took me a long time to get into the original Xenoblade, and Xenoblade 2 hasn't interested me enough from the trailers I've seen to play it immediately.

this. X gets a lot of hate from Xenoblade fans because it's very structurally and narratively different to Xenoblade 1 and eventually 2 and they got turned off from it because they went in expecting something closer to those. But as a standalone game and coming from someone who played X first, IT'S ****ING AMAZING

Onua

Smash Journeyman
*fingers crossed for medusa*

I really hope she gets in lol
I know people say "lol no more kid icarus chars" but honestly she would fit so well in smash and shes one of the few if only main baddies from the NES era of games thats a girl.
She also has an awesome design.
Tbh shes my most wanted newcomer that makes sense (sure I want fossil fighter and stocke but both are super super long shots)
I think Medusa has a fair chance.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
You don’t...but Bayonetta does
No, she doesn't. No character should have a dodge that is just outright better than literally every other character's dodge in the game. No character should have a get-out-of-combo free card. I know it's not out of every combo, but it gets her out of stuff that works on every other character in the game.

At this point, I'm mostly over what happened with Bayo and competitive Smash. Bats Within is the one thing that still grinds my gears though.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The lack of a new Pokemon kills the leak for me. I do not know how to make a convincing leak tbh, that one is not made by me.
I figured as much. It also didn't have Sora who I'd expect to see on a fake leak from you. Maybe you should contact that guy and become friends though lmao.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So will the Original 8 be the first characters to be shown in the E3 trailer?

Yoshi sperg to the rescue
Yes, they'll be shown off to tease the story since
the first thing we'll see is them all stuck in a prison, they're all Dedede's hostages, and he's threatening to cut them all if Sakurai doesn't buff him. It's a very dramatic and suspenseful start to the first real trailer of the game.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
>Rex
>Ashley
>Elma, who I have recently begun to support
>Paper Mario
>Simon Belmont, the only character from the verg leak I liked

View attachment 147278
who the **** is Michaela tho? lol

*fingers crossed for medusa*

I really hope she gets in lol
I know people say "lol no more kid icarus chars" but honestly she would fit so well in smash and shes one of the few if only main baddies from the NES era of games thats a girl.
She also has an awesome design.
Tbh shes my most wanted newcomer that makes sense (sure I want fossil fighter and stocke but both are super super long shots)
I think Medusa has a fair chance.
Coming from someone that knows practically nothing about Kid Icarus. Medusa would be DOPE, a bad ***** through and through

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
While I don't believe it for obvious reasons, I would also be highly disappointed with it. My most wanted character on that list would be Dixie. Elma interests me, but I never played XCX. And then Sora might be cool? Geno and Mallow might be cool too. But overall this lacks any character who really excites me. I'd be an Inkling main for sure :p

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
No, she doesn't. No character should have a dodge that is just outright better than literally every other character's dodge in the game. No character should have a get-out-of-combo free card. I know it's not out of every combo, but it gets her out of stuff that works on every other character in the game.

At this point, I'm mostly over what happened with Bayo and competitive Smash. Bats Within is the one thing that still grinds my gears though.
Well everything she does is apart of her character in the games, so it’s completely reasonable for Bayo to be the way she is (even with it being unfair at times)

Then I'd be waiting outside Sakurai's apartment Antifa-style
Sakurai sends in his army to kill you and succeeds

Yeah but everyone, Medusa didn't originate as a video game character

:troll:
The sexy one does

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Now, just a thought I've come to think of.

Super Smash Bros 64 was the protoype, so it's excused.
Now, Melee's newcomers where the leftovers from Nintendo 64-era.
Brawl's newcomers where the leftovers from GameCube and GameBoy-era.
Smash 4 Wii U & 3DS's newcomers where from Wii and DS's-era.

Makes a lot of sense that Smash ??? for Switch's newcomers could be well drawn from Wii U and 3DS's- era.

Just a thought.
Not to scare you but Ridley would fit that pattern then

I'm still skeptical about that shadow I mean he was moving more like a playable in the footage and that grab on pikachu look quick like a characters grab and at the very end if you slow it down a possible jump animation

Even after the reveal on boss hazard there's a few stuff on playable how he falls to the ground when you get him to your side I feel like that's his falling playable animation slowed down and when you ko him the classic shockwave

And don't get me started on the stock icon

Theory is they attempted to make him playable but failed.

I know it's sounds paranoid but it's just my theory

Last edited:

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Don't know if it's been mentioned it in the last 20 pages, but has anyone realized that if Snake's in the game, this song could make an appearance? (maybe...)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Well everything she does is apart of her character in the games, so it’s completely reasonable for Bayo to be the way she is (even with it being unfair at times)
I highly disagree that balance should be ignored in favor of following some kind of source material. No character is 100% true to source material and removing that one single thing of hers is not going to make her any less Bayonetta than Link is Link. She will still have all her wicked weaves, witch time, twists, slides, cancellable taunts, etc. She's still Bayonetta without Bats Within.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Not to scare you but Ridley would fit that pattern then

I'm still skeptical about that shadow I mean he was moving more like a playable in the footage and that grab on pikachu look quick like a characters grab and at the very end if you slow it down a possible jump animation

Even after the reveal on boss hazard there's a few stuff on playable how he falls to the ground when you get him to your side I feel like that's his falling playable animation slowed down and when you ko him the classic shockwave

And don't get me started on the stock icon

Theory is they attempted to make him playable but failed.

I know it's sounds paranoid but it's just my theory
Whether or not it's likely, I think it's definitely a possibility. Especially given the seemingly special treatment compared to other bosses. If that is in fact true though I wonder what it would mean for Ridley's chances this time around.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I mean I'm sure there will eventually be a cap to how many characters we can have, but as far as I'm concerned we aren't close to reaching it yet.
Yeah the more the merrier as long as characters can have a unique and interesting moveset, let as many characters join as possible the more the merrier

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I highly disagree that balance should be ignored in favor of following some kind of source material. No character is 100% true to source material and removing that one single thing of hers is not going to make her any less Bayonetta than Link is Link. She will still have all her wicked weaves, witch time, twists, slides, cancellable taunts, etc. She's still Bayonetta without Bats Within.
Well Bayo and Ryu are both 100% true to the source material used for them. Taking away one of the things that makes Bayonetta a bad witch just to satisfy others isn’t a solution. Nerfs can be given to her, but taking away an important move of hers and calling that balance is not going to solve a thing.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
dude,,, smash bros AllStars is a terrible name : / beside that why this leak should be supposed to be real? like... why?

That being said, you know what is not a terrible name?

Yes, Aria of Sorrow!

should i still be doing this posts... could E3 come a little... faster Dx

If you are just seeing this posts , please feel free to browse the previous tracks, and takle a dive into castlevania history, and the long impression that caused in systems like the NES, SNES, PSX and GBA.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Whether or not it's likely, I think it's definitely a possibility. Especially given the seemingly special treatment compared to other bosses. If that is in fact true though I wonder what it would mean for Ridley's chances this time around.
It's probably just us over thinking it, but it is interesting how Ridley's role in each Smash game has grown in prominence. From background to cutscene cameo to not just one but two bosses, and just recently a stage hazard. I would at least hope since Brawl, Sakurai has been slowly analyzing Ridley so he can see how best to translate him into a playable character.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Well Bayo and Ryu are both 100% true to the source material used for them. Taking away one of the things that makes Bayonetta a bad witch just to satisfy others isn’t a solution. Nerfs can be given to her, but taking away an important move of hers and calling that balance is not going to solve a thing.
Idk, I think bringing her abilities in line with everyone else's will solve balance. Bringing things in line with others is what balance is after all :p

Idk if you play competitively, but lemme tell you, losing a game to Bayonetta because Bats Within just invalidated your combo that was guaranteed on literally every other character in the game is ridiculous.

As far as being 100% accurate to source material, Ryu is not 100% accurate but he is really accurate, and I applaud them on that. But basically no other character is nearly as accurate to their source material. Characters would either be not fun, not functional, or not fun to play against if they were truly 100% accurate to their source material. Olimar couldn't punch, Luigi wouldn't be anything like what he is, Duck Hunt Dog is literally a creation of imagination. Bayonetta did not need Bats Within to be Bayonetta in Smash. it shouldn't have been in the game in that state in the first place. There's a way to balance it, I'm sure, but it's current state is absolute bull****.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
this. X gets a lot of hate from Xenoblade fans because it's very structurally and narratively different to Xenoblade 1 and eventually 2 and they got turned off from it because they went in expecting something closer to those.
This is a good reason for putting a X rep in over a XB2 rep, honestly. It's a world apart from the original Xenoblade in style, design philosophy, aesthetics and setting (almost forgot soundtrack). You can't tell me another swordsman from a fantasy world where people live on giant bodies would be a better 2nd Xenoblade rep than a sci-fi soldier stuck on an alien planet. That's like trying to say Rosalina would be a better addition than Donkey Kong or Wario. It's nonsense.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This whole "the wii u has no games to pull characters from" is kinda dumb, as if Tropical freeze, paper mario, captain toad, xenoblade x, star fox zero and (potentially) hyrule warriors don't exist.

And that's ignoring the 3ds for some reason as if Pokemon sun and moon, rhythm heaven, multiple kirby games, animal crossing and more didn't happen

and tbh outside of Rex and Springman there's basically nothing to pull from the switch anyway
The problem is that there isn’t necessarily much to pull from with those games though. They’re all series that have characters already.

Star Fox would probably provide Wolf, but that’s a vet we’ve already had. Paper Mario is well...Paper Mario/Mario.

I don’t think the point is that there weren’t games. The point is more that there weren’t many new, successful IP on the Wii U besides Splatoon. In terms of new character and IP, you pretty much have Inklings and Elma, and Elma doesn’t even represent a new IP.

At least I assume that's what the point is.

Not to mention, just because older IPs have new games doesn’t mean a character is going to be taken from them. Just because Kirby has a game doesn’t mean Bandanna Dee will be in, for example.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
This whole "the wii u has no games to pull characters from" is kinda dumb, as if Tropical freeze, paper mario, captain toad, xenoblade x, star fox zero and (potentially) hyrule warriors don't exist.

And that's ignoring the 3ds for some reason as if Pokemon sun and moon, rhythm heaven, multiple kirby games, animal crossing and more didn't happen

and tbh outside of Rex and Springman there's basically nothing to pull from the switch anyway
Tropical Freeze would be great, I agree, and I said as much in my post.

Paper Mario? Yeah dude, can’t wait to play as a flying paint can.

Captain Toad I’ll give you, I guess. I think Toad is about the most boring pick you could possibly get, but opinions are opinions.

Star Fox Zero is just Star Fox 64 HD with horrid controls. There are no new characters worth examining.

I’d love a character from Hyrule Warriors but I’d bet my left nut we will MAYBE get a music track from that game. And that’s optimistic.

I didn’t “ignore” the 3DS because I didn’t even imply that the 3DS was an issue. The 3DS was great. That said I’d be really surprised if any of the games you mentioned get a character other than Pokemon.

I’m honestly not one who should be saying who would be cool and who wouldn’t be. None of the newcomers from 4 even remotely impressed me. I’m just too jaded for speculation, I guess.

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
Xenoblade X is worth it just for the giant flying robots.
There's tons of great things in it. Combat is great, characters are fun (not great or anything, just fun), music is top tier, the world is great, creative and beautiful. The plot is lacking, but the game empathizes more on worldbuilding, some of the sidequests are fantastic. The game is massive. It boasts 19 playable characters and 12 weapons (split by melee and guns). For Cross, you choose one melee and one gun, giving you tons of possible combinations. Each other character has a set melee and gun, fixing their "class." The Skells give combat variety, and there's seven types of them. The world is massive and full of secrets, specially ridiculously OP bosses. As you progress through the game new alien species move into the city, and some of them are fantastic. The game can get super dark in certain sidequests, while also having lighthearted and fun moments. There's tons more I loved about this game, but this got longer than I intended.
X is one of the best games I've ever played and I highly recommend it, but I might be a bit biased because it's Xenoblade.
Glad to see people are finally giving X the recognition it deserves, especially in the music department. I'm also glad that people are warming up to the idea that we may actually see Elma instead of Rex/Pyra in the base roster.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

this. X gets a lot of hate from Xenoblade fans because it's very structurally and narratively different to Xenoblade 1 and eventually 2 and they got turned off from it because they went in expecting something closer to those. But as a standalone game and coming from someone who played X first, IT'S ****ING AMAZING
Personally, I started with X after watching a Xenoblade Chronicles playthrough online (being unable to find it for Wii).

If you ask me now, I'd say Xenoblade Chronicles is the best objectively, but X was a fantastic title of its own. It was my game of the year for 2015. I hope that the formula they established with that title gets further refined when XCX2 comes out.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
OMG YES

My hype and want for Snake returning has just skyrocketed. MGS has such good music. :love:
MGS has the best ****ing music!
Seriously. In losing Snake we lost a hell of a soundtrack as well. I really really hope he comes back.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This is a good reason for putting a X rep in over a XB2 rep, honestly. It's a world apart from the original Xenoblade in style, design philosophy, aesthetics and setting (almost forgot soundtrack). You can't tell me another swordsman from a fantasy world where people live on giant bodies would be a better 2nd Xenoblade rep than a sci-fi soldier stuck on an alien planet. That's like trying to say Rosalina would be a better addition than Donkey Kong or Wario. It's nonsense.
I mean, I don't really think being a fantasy world character makes you a worse choice than a sci-fi soldier. Suggesting that the theme of the game makes one character more interesting than another alone is asinine.

Not only would both characters play differently than anybody else on the roster, but their designs would be far different as well.

When you say "Another swordsman", you're basically reviving a dead and tired argument that a character using a sword is boring. This is said every time a new sword user is introduced. Yet, literally every single sword user in the game plays differently from every other sword user in the game. Not to mention, Rex would likely need to be paired with Pyra/Mythra to work accurately, and there are plenty of interesting gameplay mechanics to pull from Xenoblade 2.

I don't really see why XC2 gets so much hate besides the same tired arguments, when really it just comes down to whatever character somebody likes better.

Both characters would be great. There's no reason to pit them against each other.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
If Snake does return, I super wanna some music from Metal Gear Rising, as well as Sins of the Father, and Love Deterrence in.

I really hope the rumored MGS compilation game is real, so then I can finally get into MGS. I've only played about half of the first game, and got stuck on the part with the wolves in the dark, so I definitely want to give it another chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom