• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Oh, sorry, I should have been more specific, but you're right that it was the three starters (I don't remember if he said they were all final evolutions or if it was just implied).
...yknow, i think i would've enjoyed braixen getting in just a bit more than greninja. because of course i would

ah well, no sense doubling up on fire pokemon i suppose. usually i'm partial to grass but not so with gen 6, i'd take greninja over chesnaught any day

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't think I'm missing your point. I think your missing MINE. The sales and records show. Not one female lead franchise that is solely female lead has the success of Tomb Raider.

So to me and a lot of the world that does read as Lara is easily the female video game most recognized world wide.

But we're not going to get anywhere with this discussion because we as a group keep having it and it never gets anywhere. Lol.
Fair enough. I don't disagree that she could well be the most iconic ever, I just think it's not so cut and clear since sales =/= iconicness and the record is for female leads, but there are many non lead female characters who are very iconic. I really want to say though that I appreciate this conversation quite a bit. You disagreed respectfully and provided actual facts to back up your claims. It's really refreshing when people do that. Thank you.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
This Veregeben rumor doesn't necessarily mean the entire roser is Wii U/3DS plus Ridley, Simon, and the ICS, right? That'd be pretty lame to only get three newcomers. If it does turn out to be true I hope that Wolf, Snake, and Bomberman aren't far behind.

Edit: Two newcomers, I don't know why I said the ICs were a newcomer. The hype is messing with my brain.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
This Veregeben rumor doesn't necessarily mean the entire roser is Wii U/3DS plus Ridley, Simon, and the ICS, right? That'd be pretty lame to only get three newcomers. If it does turn out to be true I hope that Wolf, Snake, and Bomberman aren't far behind.
Personally I'd be hyped for literally just Ridley and no other newcomers, but most people wouldn't be. Newcomers are the main draw of smash. Only three would be unprecedented and smash fans would riot. I don't think there's any way that's true.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Not at all. It just suggest those are characters currently known. More than likely this is all information planned for E3 since its so close at this point.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I may be missing something here (since this thread moves so fast) but I honestly don't see how Eevee summoning the Eeveelutions would be at all "engine straining" or whatnot. From what I understand, they'd basically work like how Megaman summons Rush for his up special or Zelda's Phantom Slash. One of them quickly comes in, do an attack, then leave. They'd essentially just be glorified weapons with faces on them. Smash has definitely done more complicated things than that before.

Oh well, just my two cents there.

Last edited:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
As far as Square Enix properties go I’m still pretty damn convinced Dragon Quest is far more likely to “blip” onto Sakurai’s proverbial radar than Lara Croft

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
One thing I can’t seem to wrap my head around that if this is an actual new game and slated for later this year, we won’t be seeing monthly or bimonthly character updates like we did in the past. It was a fun and exciting way to watch development and involve the community. So will they do character batch releases once a month, multiple individual character reveals throughout a given month, or just show a **** ton of characters two or three times before the release? Seriously, it’s 8 months until December if the game comes out then.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
One thing I can’t seem to wrap my head around that if this is an actual new game and slated for later this year, we won’t be seeing monthly or bimonthly character updates like we did in the past. It was a fun and exciting way to watch development and involve the community. So will they do character batch releases once a month, multiple individual character reveals throughout a given month, or just show a **** ton of characters two or three times before the release? Seriously, it’s 8 months until December if the game comes out then.
Do it like ArcSys did for Blazblue: Cross Tag Battle. Every month, have a trailer that reveals three characters with little gameplay snippets of each character.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I hope this leak is true, if only for the fact that all the characters would come back. Ridley, Ice Climbers, and Simon are a bonus if it's real.

And as for Pokemon, I'd like to see either Mimkyu, Salazzle, or Lycanroc.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Vergeben is back (He's been proven to be legit a handful of times)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76614511#7

So its this is right it means, Its a roster port with everyone from Wii U, and Ridley, Simon Belmont and Ice Climbers. I like it!
don't do this to me... This leak is friggin tailored for me, my most wanted pipe dream Simon Belmont, and my most wanted feasible character Ridley (which I've rooted for since melee intro) considering my third, fourth and fifth most wanted for smash 4 were Robin, Mewtwo and bayonetta... Would make the roster complete for me...

I choose not to believe this leak solely cause I would hype beyond belief and that could sour me the game if is not true

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm glad Lara is getting more attention here. I've never played her games, but I grew up with her movies and would like to play Tomb Raider if they ever come out on Nintendo again. I do think people are really sleeping on her chances.

I'm hoping to get her rated in the rate their chances topic before E3 so any help nominating her would be great.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Math time! Lets say that rumor is true and we get the 58 fighters from Smash 4 + 15-20 fighters in this game. I imagine E3 will reveal the entire returning cast at this point since its getting down to the wire. We know theres inklings, but lets say E3 reveals 3 new characters, that means before release they'd have 11-16 characters to reveal still.

If we assume Smash is going to be release before Black Friday, that gives us 170 days left for reveals after E3.

Going by the 11-16 remaining character estimate that means we should get a reveal every 18.4 days (11 remaining) to 10.6 days (16 remaining)
So essentially one character reveal every 2-3 weeks from E3 onward.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One thing I love about these leaks is they're never all the details when real. This makes it more fun because there's always more to come.

That said, I seriously hope Snake comes back. If he doesn't, I would like a simple explanation why. Especially if he was able to get Simon. It could've been as simple as "Konami said no." or it could be more complex than that.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
One thing I love about these leaks is they're never all the details when real. This makes it more fun because there's always more to come.

That said, I seriously hope Snake comes back. If he doesn't, I would like a simple explanation why. Especially if he was able to get Simon. It could've been as simple as "Konami said no." or it could be more complex than that.
Snake got in as a favor for Kojima. Now he will likely stay dead as a favor for Kojima.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Snake got in as a favor for Kojima. Now he will likely stay dead as a favor for Kojima.
...Yeah, I doubt that's why.

I mean, while I don't 100% believe Konami's at fault(it's a good possibility), he doesn't just cut a character simply because the "favor was done". If anything, it's probably just Snake being lower priority since Kojima didn't really ask for him again, coupled with him no longer being a Konami employee. Sakurai never talked to Kojima about Snake's inclusion again either, which might be part of it. It's really hard to say what happened there. We got no actual evidence to suggest Konami was the sole factor either. Just the fact Sakurai didn't ask Kojima for him to return. We've got some nice logical conclusions, but a serious lack of details.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
This is exactly how I feel about leaks; real, fake, authentic or shoddy, they always manage to hype me up and make me hunger for more info and speculation!

I was only around 10 when I played Brawl with my brothers and their friends, and seeing one of them consistently dominate with Snake's grenade launcher was a blast every time. I hope he makes a comeback as well, alongside another Konami candidate (fingers crossed for Bomberman!).

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Forgive me if I seem out of the loop, but is there an confirmed, documented, official, undeniable reason for why snake was cut?
Short answer is no. 3rd party characters are nothing but negotiations and forking over cash. Konami and Sakurai likely didn't even attempt to make a deal back then and without Kojami being the middle man there was no one to push the envelope on Snake.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Do it like ArcSys did for Blazblue: Cross Tag Battle. Every month, have a trailer that reveals three characters with little gameplay snippets of each character.
That’s one way to do it but I’m not sure how it would work with Smash.

Math time! Lets say that rumor is true and we get the 58 fighters from Smash 4 + 15-20 fighters in this game. I imagine E3 will reveal the entire returning cast at this point since its getting down to the wire. We know theres inklings, but lets say E3 reveals 3 new characters, that means before release they'd have 11-16 characters to reveal still.

If we assume Smash is going to be release before Black Friday, that gives us 170 days left for reveals after E3.

Going by the 11-16 remaining character estimate that means we should get a reveal every 18.4 days (11 remaining) to 10.6 days (16 remaining)
So essentially one character reveal every 2-3 weeks from E3 onward.
Yeah, that doesn’t sound too much fun to me. It was great to see the game development progress over time and everything with Smash 4. A blitz from now to the launch date with content after content could be fun but, Man, it could be tiring. Mid way like in September, we all might be worn out from all the hype and excitement:

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I hope this leak is true, if only for the fact that all the characters would come back. Ridley, Ice Climbers, and Simon are a bonus if it's real.

And as for Pokemon, I'd like to see either Mimkyu, Salazzle, or Lycanroc.

As much as I like this rumor, Veregeben is a load of BS. His leak on MVCI DLC are completely wack.

I don't see Capcom doing anymore DLC for MVCI

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
As much as I like this rumor, Veregeben is a load of BS. His leak on MVCI DLC are completely wack.

I don't see Capcom doing anymore DLC for MVCI
I don't know what the leak was, but plans changed drastically a bit after the game was released. They wanted to keep doing DLC for a long time, it's just that MvCI ended up being probably the worst recent marketing disaster in the games industry.
That things didn't turn out like someone said for that game probably doesn't mean anything, since it didn't turn out like anyone said it would.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Yeah, that doesn’t sound too much fun to me. It was great to see the game development progress over time and everything with Smash 4. A blitz from now to the launch date with content after content could be fun but, Man, it could be tiring. Mid way like in September, we all might be worn out from all the hype and excitement:
Better than the drought of updates pre-Brawl, at least.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Bomberman and Simon are the only third parties left that I can really see getting in. At the very least they are the only ones where there is no question that they have earned inclusion and would be extremely popular. Bomberman and Castlevania are insanely iconic and popular IPs and both have made their home on Nintendo consoles in exclusive installments.
As far as 3rd parties go, they are the hardest newcomers to predict, but in terms of likeliness, I don’t believe Bomberman and Simon have nearly the chance of getting in as some people believe they do.

I think the hype and support around certain potential characters can get into our heads sometimes. It’s something we’ve all been guilty of I’m sure. However, I think the most likely next picks for 3rd Party newcomers would be a Monster Hunter, the Hero from Dragon Quest, Heihachi from Tekken (he was considered for Smash 4.), or honestly, Sora from Kingdom Hearts. I’m not saying Bomberman or Simon have no chance at all, but I think the aforementioned selections would create more of a booming hype both inside, and outside of just the Smash, and even Nintendo fan base.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I don't know what the leak was, but plans changed drastically a bit after the game was released. They wanted to keep doing DLC for a long time, it's just that MvCI ended up being probably the worst recent marketing disaster in the games industry.
That things didn't turn out like someone said for that game probably doesn't mean anything, since it didn't turn out like anyone said it would.

Yup, i was so disappointed about Street Fighter 5, Tekken 7 and MVCI that I sold my PS4 and got myself a switch.

The best gaming decision I have ever made. Spent 160 hours on BOTW woohoo

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, I've always said if Ridley is in the game he'll be shown at E3.

It's the event for hardcore gamers and industry investors and he's definetly desired by the former.

Gotta be cautious though, even with reliable sources. Companies can and do put fake leaks out there to catch people out.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Gotta be cautious though, even with reliable sources. Companies can and do put fake leaks out there to catch people out.
This exactly. This is why I never believe leaks until we get official confirmation from the companies themselves, no matter how believable they may be.
Regardless, the leaks actually do aid in building hype, but they're a double edged sword, meaning that the train can just as effectively derail. It's wise to keep this pic from Source Gaming in mind when it comes to this stuff:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
This exactly. This is why I never believe leaks until we get official confirmation from the companies themselves, no matter how believable they may be.
Regardless, the leaks actually do aid in building hype, but they're a double edged sword, meaning that the train can just as effectively derail. It's wise to keep this pic from Source Gaming in mind when it comes to this stuff:
That image is incredible.

But I'm oddly reminded of this:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Simon Belmont's inclusion would be epic just for the NES and SNES games' music alone.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I come visit Smashboards at midnight and a new "credible" leak surrounding on Simon Belmont and Ridey shows up. If that is true, then I already got two newcomer predictions wrong, hahaha! Sakurai being able to negotiate with Konami and figuring out how to implement Ridley in Smash were things I thought to be impossible.

Then I think about how Sakurai loves to challenge himself into implementing complex characters like Ryu and Bayonetta. And then I think about how Sakurai wanted Smash 4 to be the "ultimate character game", or something along those lines. If Sakurai manages to get both characters in the game, then I will applaud him highly for being willing to go so incredibly far in licensing and implementation to make Smash Switch's roster the best dreamy imaginary roster ever.

In regards to these characters and information possibly being revealed at E3, I doubt it. I can see Ridley being saved for that, but the other information would likely change to surprise people's expectations. We have a less than a month to go, and this leak I feel will get Sakurai to change which newcomers will be revealed at E3.

This leak just made speculation a lot more exciting!

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The possible reasons for Snake being cut is a ****ing Basket Case. There’s really no way to tell why he was cut, we can only speculate. If Simon really is happening in the new one though, I feel like Snake’s chances will jump quite a bit. I guess in the same way I imagine it was easier to get Ryu and Bayonetta because of the connection that was already made with Capcom and Sega respectively with Mega Man and Sonic. Plus, he’s a veteran so going straight into development instead of using time for planning could help.

Simon getting in can do nothing but help Snake’s chances. I don’t believe this “leak” but I though I’d input on it.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This image is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Can I use it elsewhere?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Simon Belmont's inclusion would be epic just for the NES and SNES games' music alone.
Didn't the other installments have good music, too?

Also, Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears must appear if true.

And also Simon's theme, because Simon.

But what is a soundtrack? A miserable pile of songs. But enough of this speculation. Have at you!

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I have recently been thinking Simon has a pretty good shot, but I'm not sure what to think of the leak, seeing how the leaker has been so hit and miss with his leaks.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
If any Pokémon newcomers are gonna be added my top three would be Gardevoir, Lycanroc (dusk form), and Zeraora. If I can get one or the one or even two I'd be set Pokémon wise

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Sakurai figuring out how to implement Ridley in Smash were things I thought to be impossible.
He once said Villager and Pac-Man weren't viable fighters before making them so. The man can change his mind.

Don't get hung up on everything he says and things will be smooth sailing from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom