• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only thing about that rumour I find hard to believe is the idea that there will be no cuts.
2 years in secret.

Bandai Namco working with Sakurai.

Time isn't a pressing issue.

Might have a lot of ground work to work with already.

It's really not THAT far fetched.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I am SICK and TIRED of these mother-flipping Yoshis on this mother-FLIPPING ISLAND!

They're going to release it when Switch's Paid Online goes up. Right now, that's September. They're not missing that date.
That's an assumption.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The only thing about that rumour I find hard to believe is the idea that there will be no cuts.
That's something I'm skeptical of too, but probably for a different reason.

Unless Nintendo flat-out says that every character is returning (to the extent of actually making it a point in their presentation) and they show off all 58 individual characters at E3, how would Vergeben's source know something like this so early? Not only would you have to assume everything I just said, but you'd also have to say that there are no unlockable characters in this game.

No cuts couldn't definitely happen, but I doubt we'd know about it this early.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
2 years in secret.

Bandai Namco working with Sakurai.

Time isn't a pressing issue.

Might have a lot of ground work to work with already.

It's really not THAT far fetched.
The same kind of argument can be applied to Smash 4 as it reused Brawl assets and we still got cuts there.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
That's something I'm skeptical of too, but probably for a different reason.

Unless Nintendo flat-out says that every character is returning (to the extent of actually making it a point in their presentation) and they show off all 58 individual characters at E3, how would Vergeben's source know something like this so early? Not only would you have to assume everything I just said, but you'd also have to say that there are no unlockable characters in this game.

No cuts couldn't definitely happen, but I doubt we'd know about it this early.
With both Emily and them mentioning no cuts, I think the most likely thing is if there are no cuts they'll mention it. A lot of people were hoping they might reveal all veterans at E3, and while I don't know about actually showing each veteran they could definitely announce the returning roster of Smash 4.

They could tie it into an explanation that the game was originally planned as a port or that it was built from the Wii U and not the ground up....but I don't expect them to reveal that.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The same kind of argument can be applied to Smash 4 as it reused Brawl assets and we still got cuts there.
Smash 4 both have hardware issues which prevented Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers to return and the team was effectively working on the two games at one time.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Time was a pressing issue there. They had two games at once. And hardware issues.

We also know they were down to the wire because Bowser Jr barely made it into the roster.

Everything about the timing of this game seems super calculated thus far. They waited two years to say anything about it, etc, etc.

That's two years of them being able to slave away without us knowing a single thing.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Vergeben is back (He's been proven to be legit a handful of times)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76614511#7

So its this is right it means, Its a roster port with everyone from Wii U, and Ridley, Simon Belmont and Ice Climbers. I like it!
I mean, no cuts and those guys debuting and returning definitely fits with Emily's "They are making the ultimate roster" statement.
Dude, I'm starting to really believe Ridley is in this time around. Also he says they will reveal him at E3 which makes the most sense.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Also on another subject, about the reveal in general. Would you like if we get a big reveal at E3 for the initial information, and another big bomb (like another guest or heavy requested Characters) right next to the release?

Smash4 was kinda disapointing for the last two reveal for me- Bowser.JR and Duck Hunt being meehhish as a last bullet- reveal
In the case of Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt their late reveals were obviously because they were unlockable, and usually you don't want your most marketable or hype newcomers to be unlockable if you want to market your game well, so I think it's only natural that the last few reveals will be a bit less interesting to most.

With that said, I could actually see K. Rool being revealed as one of the last, if not even being unlockable. He might be popular within the Smash fanbase, but we're all going to buy the game anyways, and his lack of relevancy means he's not the most marketable character to the wider audience, so he's not one of the frontrunners to be revealed at E3 or in a Smash Direct imo. Because of this his reveal would be absolutely perfect for a grand finish.

Staarih

Smash Master
Also on another subject, about the reveal in general. Would you like if we get a big reveal at E3 for the initial information, and another big bomb (like another guest or heavy requested Characters) right next to the release?

Smash4 was kinda disapointing for the last two reveal for me- Bowser.JR and Duck Hunt being meehhish as a last bullet- reveal
Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt were maybe a bit "underwhelming" because they were unlockable and we knew about them being in the game before their reveal trailers were shown. If we had gotten their trailers sooner, I assume the hype would have been bigger (imagine seeing 8 Koopalings on stage with no other context, or Duck Hunt and the Zapper). I kinda doubt we'll even have character trailers like Smash 4 did this time around, and there wont be post-release trailers (except for, like, DLC), so anything they wanna show before release will be bomb.

And about leaks/rumours, anything with Ridley in it gets a thumbs up from me.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, no cuts and those guys debuting and returning definitely fits with Emily's "They are making the ultimate roster" statement.
Dude, I'm starting to really believe Ridley is in this time around. Also he says they will reveal him at E3 which makes the most sense.
Hold on a sec, Emily never specifically mentioned Ridley or Simon Belmont. Quite a few characters could fit the "ultimate roster" bill.

Believe me, I definitely want Ridley in Smash, but I'm not going to connect the dots until we get more concrete proof.

In the case of Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt their late reveals were obviously because they were unlockable, and usually you don't want your most marketable or hype newcomers to be unlockable if you want to market your game well, so I think it's only natural that the last few reveals will be a bit less interesting to most.

With that said, I could actually see K. Rool being revealed as one of the last, if not even being unlockable. He might be popular within the Smash fanbase, but we're all going to buy the game anyways, and his lack of relevancy means he's not the most marketable character to the wider audience, so he's not one of the frontrunners to be revealed at E3 or in a Smash Direct imo. Because of this his reveal would be absolutely perfect for a grand finish.
K. Rool isn't very marketable, so I think saving him for last would be an excellent decision. He might be the last big push people who were considering buying Smash Switch needed to make the jump and buy the game.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
That's an assumption.
They're not going to release their shiny new paid online service with no games. 'Hey, pay us now to play Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 online' doesn't sell as well as 'Pay us to play Smash online.' You can say 'yeah, it's only a month' but that first month is pretty darn critical.

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
They're going to release it when Switch's Paid Online goes up. Right now, that's September. They're not missing that date.
Actually, I think they probably want to release Smash AFTER paid Switch Online, and a simultaneous release of the two, in my opinion, would be a pretty bad idea. For one, I think the first month or so of the service will effectively be a stress test of early adopters, like the Switch itself reeling in early adopters when it launched with only a handful of games and pulling out some of their big guns (Odyssey) later on. Then Smash releases 1-2 months after that when any early kinks in the service have been ironed out, because Smash doesn't have the best reputation for online play and they more than likely want to make sure the online is as perfect as it can be before letting Smash loose on it, because Nintendo will be getting a lot of bad press if they mess this up again.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Hold on a sec, Emily never specifically mentioned Ridley or Simon Belmont. Quite a few characters could fit the "ultimate roster" bill.

Believe me, I definitely want Ridley in Smash, but I'm not going to connect the dots until we get more concrete proof.
I didn't imply she especifically mentioned those, I just said those names definitely fit that statement. The main villain of Metroid and inarguably one of the most if not the most requested character ever, and one of the main characters of a very known and iconic franchise like Castlevania? Fits.
Now I'm not saying I'm believing this 100%, I'm just growing up my hopes, cautiously so.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
K. Rool would definitely make sense as an unlockable character.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Actually, I think they probably want to release Smash AFTER paid Switch Online, and a simultaneous release of the two, in my opinion, would be a pretty bad idea.
I agree. Not only would they have time to "prepare" and iron out the service for Smash, it would be lighter on the wallet as well lol. Having to pay for a new game (Smash) and the online service simultaneously, while probably not a biggie to some, might not go down well for everyone. Though I guess you'll have to get the online service at some point anyway... but I still kinda feel that offering the online service first and Smash coming out later sounds likely. An October release for Smash (as suggested by some insider?) would be pretty okay in my book, while the online service comes in September. It's a month in between ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I honestly wish we get another Smash Extravaganza Direct like. It was one of the best things near Smash 4 release on Wii U and the Mewtwo surprise made it all better

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Man, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it feels like I’ve ran out of excitement somewhere along the line. Maybe it’s the two months without news getting to me, but I’m feeling really pessimistic about this whole “ultimate roster” business. Anyone else feel that way?

Hopefully E3 will refill my hype tank.

...or maybe I’m just stressed out and tired because I’ve been sleeping like **** and finals are coming up.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I agree. Not only would they have time to "prepare" and iron out the service for Smash, it would be lighter on the wallet as well lol. Having to pay for a new game (Smash) and the online service simultaneously, while probably not a biggie to some, might not go down well for everyone. Though I guess you'll have to get the online service at some point anyway... but I still kinda feel that offering the online service first and Smash coming out later sounds likely. An October release for Smash (as suggested by some insider?) would be pretty okay in my book, while the online service comes in September. It's a month in between ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If Smash releases in October and the Online service launches badly in September, it won't be fixed by October. Take it to the Bank. And by that point, even if it was, no one's paying for it anymore.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Man, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it feels like I’ve ran out of excitement somewhere along the line. Maybe it’s the two months without news getting to me, but I’m feeling really pessimistic about this whole “ultimate roster” business. Anyone else feel that way?

...or maybe I’m just stressed out and tired because I’ve been sleeping like **** and finals are coming up.
I feel ya. Might sound awful, but I'm worried that the roster will end up being similar to Smash 4's. The list of newcomers wasn't nearly as exciting as Brawl's, and Rosalina and Mewtwo were the only characters that really excited me. Everyone else was just okay or completely underwhelming to me.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'm not pessimistic but I don't really believe this whole "ultimate roster" thing. It's both subjective and implies previous games hold themselves. I can only believe if the roster;
  • have very little cuts
  • inspired by the Smash Ballot results significantly

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
I honestly wish we get another Smash Extravaganza Direct like. It was one of the best things near Smash 4 release on Wii U and the Mewtwo surprise made it all better
I would be extremely surprised if we don't get one. E3 is simply too crowded with other games to make it the be-all, end-all of Smash reveals and something around August or September is almost to be expected, with lighter reveals between E3 and then. I expect that is the kind of platform that would be used to cover side modes and different options available in the game, while the core gameplay takes centre stage at E3.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I disagree with K Rool entirely, if he gets in it'll be because of the ballot, announcing the game and announcing what is arguably the most wanted newcomer by the core fanbase at the same time is a great idea to building hype imo. Yeah, casual fans won't care but there's not that many characters casual players would care about to begin with, casual gamers just want smash regardless of newcomers, they probably skipped out on wii u anyway.

Last edited:

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
A Smash Bros. game with no cuts is no Smash Bros. game at all. :008:
Melee fans might take issue with this line of thinking. :009:

But honestly, I agree. I don't think enough people are bracing themselves for cuts to happen at the moment, and while all fighters coming back sounds good, it feels as if the community is setting itself up for a nasty shock later on.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If Smash releases in October and the Online service launches badly in September, it won't be fixed by October. Take it to the Bank. And by that point, even if it was, no one's paying for it anymore.
They won't let their paid online service be broken for a month.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So I now will formally say tha I concede on my "gen 8 campaign" when you're wring you're wrong.

I just realized Mimikyu is Pikachu's Wario.

A weird distortion of one of its aspects ( in the case popularity) flipped on its head an turned into an entity.

The more I think about it is the only choice that makes sense for smash.

If there ever was a time for a Pikachu clone to be important it'd be now, the new games feature Pikachu as a starter presumably and the nostalgia pokemon as a whole. Who's lore is based on the popularity and nostalgia of Pokemon? Mimikyu.

Additionally it just has more than any other 7th gen guy.

-Z move

- Main character (Perhaps wobbufett status) in the anime

- Events centered around it in both games

- Mass appeal both officially and unofficially

- unique ability

- HUGE movepool (have you seen it?)

- has creepy hands to hold items

- unique typing to smash

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
  • inspired by the Smash Ballot results significantly
To be fair if they did actually do this there would still those few who demand to see the results of the ballot. "You said we would get our #1 picks (no they didn't) and I know for a FACT (no ya don't) that Goku was #1! PUT GOKU IN SMASH SAKURAI YOU LIAR!" Yes I have actually seen people talk like that about the ballot.

And then, we still have the whole Bayonetta thing where people say they were gonna pick her no matter the results of the ballot which is just ridiculous... like if they were planning to just do Bayo since the beginning the ballot they didn't even need to open up that possibility. They could have just released her and no one would have batted an eye.

I'm not saying they shouldn't go off the ballot but even if they claimed they did many people would demand for the results just as they do today.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, do people want Ridley because they feel like Metroid needs to be represented more or is there actually something to Ridley which needs him to be in Smash?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Out of curiosity, do people want Ridley because they feel like Metroid needs to be represented more or is there actually something to Ridley which needs him to be in Smash?
Both, I love Metroid and it deserves more representation and ridley is one of the few "nintendo all-stars" that isn't in smash, there's also a lack of villain characters and heavyweight fighters, and Ridley being a heavyweight that's good in the air is an interesting concept imo.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm a simple man. If a leak involves Ridley being playable, I automatically believe it unquestioningly until the game comes out.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I unironically thinks it's a mix bag.
People who want Ridley because they're Metroid Fans and genuinely want him.
Some people who just want "muh representation"
And some people who joined the bandwagon with all of the "TOO BIG" meme that Ridley is.
The same can be applied for K.Rool in a lesser extend since post Smash 4 and the begining of the Ballot-

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I want Ridley because Metroid needs more love and because I love aliens and weird creatures.
Ridley looks awesome and would be fun to play as IMO.

I'm a simple man. If a leak involves Ridley being playable, I automatically believe it unquestioningly until the game comes out.
Same lol.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Aside from Metroid definitely deserving another rep, Ridley is an iconic villain who has been in almost every Metroid game, arguably even the main antagonist of the franchise. He's also a pretty big character in Nintendo's history as a whole, and it honestly feels a little weird to not have the big guy on the roster yet.

Probably reiterating what's already been said, but that's why I'm supporting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom