• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Out of curiosity, do people want Ridley because they feel like Metroid needs to be represented more or is there actually something to Ridley which needs him to be in Smash?
Well more diversity among the heavyweights is welcomed, none of them are air fighters with much mobility when air born.

Villains are ALWAYS needed if you ask me (Because in almost all cases if there is no villain, there's no game) and ongoing franchises with so much appeal should have their villain as a playable character in smash.

If the leaks are true I want Spyro to fight is uncle...

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
i dunno, i want Ridley 'cause of the big purple plasma-breathing nightmare dragon from outer spce aspect. objectively he's the coolest character concept possible, and i think all the people crying out "too big" are just afraid he'd outshine whatever petty little character they wanted.

please don't take the second sentence seriously.

Aside from Metroid definitely deserving another rep, Ridley is an iconic villain who has been in almost every Metroid game, arguably even the main antagonist of the franchise. He's also a pretty big character in Nintendo's history as a whole, and it honestly feels a little weird to not have the big guy on the roster yet.

Probably reiterating what's already been said, but that's why I'm supporting him.
and this, also. he's too big (of a deal) to not be in the game at this point

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Out of curiosity, do people want Ridley because they feel like Metroid needs to be represented more or is there actually something to Ridley which needs him to be in Smash?
I don’t even care for Metroid games, I just think he deserves a spot at this point. One of the most requested characters in the history of Smash, and he still gets the short end of the stick with every game. It’s not like he’s an obscure character, he shows up almost every game... and we need more bad guys,

and also, yeah, space dragon with plasma breath who is also a pirate? Name one part of that sentence that isn’t ****ing cool

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well, for me there are several parts to this.

First off, I'm a diehard Metroid fan and I think it's criminal the series is as underrepresented as it is, especially when an option like Ridley has just been sitting there for years.

Second, I love dragons, outer space, and pirates. Ridley is all three of those things. Those things need to be in smash more.

And yeah I guess if you went deeper into gameplay or whatnot he could be a large hitbox but lighter champ, aerial based grappler. I guess that all sounds interesting or whatnot but I just want play as my purple dragon.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Which is kind of weird how :4charizard: is still pretty bad in the air.
Petition to make Charizard an aerial grappler instead of a ****ty Booz clone

I think Ridley could be cool, but I really doubt he's going to make it in.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Which is kind of weird how :4charizard: is still pretty bad in the air.
Because in a game where you have to knock your opponent out of the stage to win; it's not a brilliant idea to give a character a large frame AND high air mobility at the same time.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Vergeben is back (He's been proven to be legit a handful of times)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76614511#7

So its this is right it means, Its a roster port with everyone from Wii U, and Ridley, Simon Belmont and Ice Climbers. I like it!

There is...one tiny fragment of proof this could be legit

In a wal-Mart canada E3 leak it said metroid prime 4 will be talked about at E3 so Ridley could be a newcomer to present for metroid prime 4

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
There is...one tiny fragment of proof this could be legit

In a wal-Mart canada E3 leak it said metroid prime 4 will be talked about at E3 so Ridley could be a newcomer to present for metroid prime 4
Okay but imagine a video starts playing that we think is Prime 4 but then ridley shows up and zooms in on his eye...

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ridley is an iconic villain from one of Nintendo's most popular IP. People grew up thwarting his psychotic reign of terror. He is thus wanted. Especially when Metroid has a very limited cast of viable characters (Ridley, Dark Samus, and possibly soon Sylux)

His moveset could be inspired by a great aerial game and good range, but terrible up close. But as I said previously I'm in the "characters first, moveset later" camp. The moveset being unique is fun, but not what I dwell on the most when selecting the characters I want.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Because in a game where you have to knock your opponent out of the stage to win; it's not a brilliant idea to give a character a large frame AND high air mobility at the same time.
Uh
:4cloud::4bowser::4mewtwo::4myfriends::4dk:
And others, depending on whether you mean "large hurtbox" or "heavyweight".

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
As far as I know, apart from Pokemons and the original 12, there are no other characters who appeared in all four Smash generations, except Ridley.

I don't think Sakurai is unaware of Ridley's importance.

Pakky

Smash Hero
:4mewtwo: Is just that though. A huge character with a lot of air mobility, is he not?

He's not heavy but he is one of the largest characters in smash and his tail mobility in the air is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
As far as I know, apart from Pokemons and the original 12, there are no other characters who appeared in all four Smash generations, except Ridley.

I don't think Sakurai is unaware of Ridley's importance.
King Dedede? Background of Dreamland 64 which came back in Melee.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Dark Samus is honestly pretty cool too, and I think would make a pretty sick playable character as long as Ridley was already in the game.

I understand that if you don't know much about the Metroid franchise, Dark Samus screams 'clone', but really that wouldn't work. Dark Samus can't use most of the equipment that Samus uses for specials in smash (Screw attack, morph ball, missiles, grappling hook, flamethrower, etc) and instead has a lot of unique Phaazon powers which are even shown off with it's assist trophy. Would be pretty neat (although I know there's really no chance)

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So I now will formally say tha I concede on my "gen 8 campaign" when you're wring you're wrong.

I just realized Mimikyu is Pikachu's Wario.

A weird distortion of one of its aspects ( in the case popularity) flipped on its head an turned into an entity.

The more I think about it is the only choice that makes sense for smash.

If there ever was a time for a Pikachu clone to be important it'd be now, the new games feature Pikachu as a starter presumably and the nostalgia pokemon as a whole. Who's lore is based on the popularity and nostalgia of Pokemon? Mimikyu.

Additionally it just has more than any other 7th gen guy.

-Z move

- Main character (Perhaps wobbufett status) in the anime

- Events centered around it in both games

- Mass appeal both officially and unofficially

- unique ability

- HUGE movepool (have you seen it?)

- has creepy hands to hold items

- unique typing to smash
Welcome to the Mimikyu supporters! Everything you said and more is why I think Mimikyu is so likely and that anyone who thinks he doesn't stand a chance or wouldn't work are missing out.

One healthy dose of realism, I don't think Mimikyu is the only choice that makes sense, but it's definitely up there!

I had originally predicted any new Metroid rep because the series would get new representation with Prime 4. But after being involved with speculation I've realized people would be super dissapointed in a Metroid rep that wasn't Ridley. Plus he's the second most reccuring character. I personally want him as a character regardless of representation and I think most people feel the same.

Okay but imagine a video starts playing that we think is Prime 4 but then ridley shows up and zooms in on his eye...
I have been hoping for this since the Inkling reveal :love:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Dark Samus is honestly pretty cool too, and I think would make a pretty sick playable character as long as Ridley was already in the game.

I understand that if you don't know much about the Metroid franchise, Dark Samus screams 'clone', but really that wouldn't work. Dark Samus can't use most of the equipment that Samus uses for specials in smash (Screw attack, morph ball, missiles, grappling hook, flamethrower, etc) and instead has a lot of unique Phaazon powers which are even shown off with it's assist trophy. Would be pretty neat (although I know there's really no chance)
As it stands we're never gonna get another metroid character if we don't get ridley first, the backlash to any other character would be too big, even if sylux were to play a big part in Prime 4 I don't see it happening unless Ridley came first tbh

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
That's something I'm skeptical of too, but probably for a different reason.

Unless Nintendo flat-out says that every character is returning (to the extent of actually making it a point in their presentation) and they show off all 58 individual characters at E3, how would Vergeben's source know something like this so early? Not only would you have to assume everything I just said, but you'd also have to say that there are no unlockable characters in this game.

No cuts couldn't definitely happen, but I doubt we'd know about it this early.
Probably planned for the tournament. I mean they have yet to show off the cast and already invited the players to it. I'd say despite the leak its very likely the game ported all the cast over. The contenders will already know how to play them since its basically Smash 4 at that point.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Welcome to the Mimikyu supporters! Everything you said and more is why I think Mimikyu is so likely and that anyone who thinks he doesn't stand a chance or wouldn't work are missing out.

One healthy dose of realism, I don't think Mimikyu is the only choice that makes sense, but it's definitely up there!
Thank you.

And yes that's true, I don't think he's the only option but he feels far ahead in the lead.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
I'd say despite the leak its very likely the game ported all the cast over. The contenders will already know how to play them since its basically Smash 4 at that point.
Ah yes, just like how Melee was basically 64. And Brawl was basically Melee. And 4 was basically Brawl. All smash games play the same, that's why there's a massive divide in the community.

Troykv

Smash Master
Ah yes, just like how Melee was basically 64. And Brawl was basically Melee. And 4 was basically Brawl. All smash games play the same, that's why there's a massive divide in the community.
Not the same balance and stuff... But (mostly) the same moves they already know, so it will take less time to get used compared to using a Newcomer.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
As it stands we're never gonna get another metroid character if we don't get ridley first, the backlash to any other character would be too big, even if sylux were to play a big part in Prime 4 I don't see it happening unless Ridley came first tbh
something tells me the smash dev team doesn't care about backlash from Ridley not being playable, lol.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
There were also far less characters in each game. I mean 58 characters is A LOT at this point. It makes so much more sense time and resource wise to just build upon Wii U and turn it into a new game. They can still tweak the engine and gameplay, and revamp movesets heavily. They aren't mutually exclusive things and game developers reuse assets and engines all the time to make sequels.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I’ve supported Ridley since before brawl and I’m not about to let myself get disappointed again.

I want Ridley for a combination of reasons. He’s a villain from one of the biggest, and most under represented franchises in smash and his design is just so cool.

If my memory serves, they tried to put Ridley in in smash 4 but it didn’t work out. With the extra time between the smash games and the added bonus of not having a 3DS version causing technical limitations I can’t see a reason he couldn’t be in.

I’ve been saying that since 2007 though so what do I know.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Probably planned for the tournament. I mean they have yet to show off the cast and already invited the players to it. I'd say despite the leak its very likely the game ported all the cast over. The contenders will already know how to play them since its basically Smash 4 at that point.
Even though it's likely that most of the assets were directly ported from Smash Wii U, do you really think they would just go ahead and reveal all 58 veterans at E3 in addition to a few newcomers? Personally, I don't think that's very likely, even if all the characters really do end up returning. I just can't imagine them not saving some veterans for the future, especially if quite a few of the characters got some new moves. Seems like they'd want to save them for a later date so they could go more in depth with their movesets and changes.

Again, the leak making a statement this early that all characters are returning makes me question it a bit. Yeah, I know some people are saying that it lines up with what Emily Rogers said, but her exact words were that she'd "be surprised if there were many (if any) cuts". In other words, it's not a definite answer like the other leaker. Unless she's more involved in Smash than what I'm giving her credit for, I doubt Emily would be able to remember and account for all 58 characters from the top her head.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It might be too early, but I will take an extreme risk and bank on the leak being real before insiders get into it and make the leak more credible. So here is a new prediction roster:

Still, I am going to admit that I was wrong about Ridley and Simon. So I will not get bragging points from that regardless if the leak ends up being real.

If the leak ends up being wrong, ah well. It will cost me somewhat. It is fun to bet anyway. :p

I promise analyses for newcomer additions like Ridley, Mii Mage, and Simon will come soon. When all those analyses are done, then my prediction roster will be completed and the full roster post will come.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Even though it's likely that most of the assets were directly ported from Smash Wii U, do you really think they would just go ahead and reveal all 58 veterans at E3 in addition to a few newcomers? Personally, I don't think that's very likely, even if all the characters really do end up returning. I just can't imagine them not saving some veterans for the future, especially if quite a few of the characters got some new moves. Seems like they'd want to save them for a later date so they could go more in depth with their movesets and changes.

Again, the leak making a statement this early that all characters are returning makes me question it a bit. Yeah, I know some people are saying that it lines up with what Emily Rogers said, but her exact words were that she'd "be surprised if there were many (if any) cuts". In other words, it's not a definite answer like the other leaker. Unless she's more involved in Smash than what I'm giving her credit for, I doubt Emily would be able to remember and account for all 58 characters from the top her head.
The smash 4 invitational had 20 characters available, 6 newcomers and 14 vets. I'd place my bets on a similar scenario happening tbh

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

For Mario Kart Deluxe and Pokken Deluxe they revealed the entire roster returning right away. They are very limited on time for reveals so I imagine a blitz announcement like this is very possible. And again if its a new roster why wait until the day of the tournament to reveal it giving the contenders no time to prep. They are already prepping hard with Smash 4 in hopes its similar.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Not the same balance and stuff... But (mostly) the same moves they already know, so it will take less time to get used compared to using a Newcomer.
That's not necessarily true. Pikachu is in every Smash game, and plays pretty damn differently in each one. Meta Knight went from playing an incredibly defensive, evasive game to being pure rushdown. Bowser went from a bad character to a grappler. Even among characters whose overall game plan doesn't change, what you do with them can change completely. ICs don't really play all that differently from Melee to Brawl on a macro level, but it took quite a while for people to figure out their chaingrab infinite. Even if nothing about the character changes, the universal mechanics can change everything.

For Mario Kart Deluxe and Pokken Deluxe they revealed the entire roster returning right away. They are very limited on time for reveals so I imagine a blitz announcement like this is very possible. And again if its a new roster why wait until the day of the tournament to reveal it giving the contenders no time to prep. They are already prepping hard with Smash 4 in hopes its similar.
Pokken Deluxe was just a port of the arcade version. Save for Decidueye(I think), we already knew the whole roster.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It might be too early, but I will take an extreme risk and bank on the leak being real before insiders get into it and make the leak more credible. So here is a new prediction roster:

Still, I am going to admit that I was wrong about Ridley and Simon. So I will not get bragging points from that regardless if the leak ends up being real.

If the leak ends up being wrong, ah well. It will cost me somewhat. It is fun to bet anyway. :p

I promise analyses for newcomer additions like Ridley, Mii Mage, and Simon will come soon. When all those analyses are done, then my prediction roster will be completed and the full roster post will come.

What leak? Did I miss something?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I promise ull analyses for newcomer additions like Ridley, Mii Mage, and Simon will come soon. When all those analyses are done, then my prediction roster will be completed.
Definitely an improvement over your previous prediction rosters. Feels like this is closer to what we might actually get (however, I still think you're going a bit overboard with those AC and third-party reps).

The smash 4 invitational had 20 characters available, 6 newcomers and 14 vets. I'd place my bets on a similar scenario happening tbh
Same here. I'm not expecting the tournament to include practically every character except a few unrevealed newcomers.

MK8D and PTD were direct ports. If this is being marketed as any kind of new game, revealing the roster all at once (or at least all but a few newcomers) would be a bad decision. If I were them, I would go the same route as Splatoon 2 and gradually show more and more of the game through random Directs and presentations. Heck, Pearl and Marina weren't officially revealed until a Splatoon 2 Direct in July that was literally a few weeks before release. That was a good move IMO, as it got lots of people talking about the game right before it launched.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

I promise ull analyses for newcomer additions like Ridley, Mii Mage, and Simon will come soon. When all those analyses are done, then my prediction roster will be completed.
Are you the boss of a company that makes roster pictures?
I believe it's the 50th one I've seen just in this thread from you.
Concerning your roster, way too many third party newcomers compared to Nintendo newcomers, Splatoon directly gets two additions, two AC newcomers... are the bad points for me. But it'll depend of the people.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

With the addition of Ridley, the fact you took out transformations (is that old or did you just do that) and got rid of the "clone row" it almost feels like you're trying to get me to love your roster....then I see Dr. Kawashima/two animal crossing reps/certain third parties and I go...no bluepikmin lol

EDIT: HOLD THE PHONE! I just saw you omitted Spring Man. Wasn't he on your roster before?! Now I'm upset lol

EDIT 2: Also Celica, but I can get that.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Almost the roster I expect beside the two new AC/Two new XENO/OCTO line- and iffy about Heihachi, Lycanroc and Layton-
Other than that, good job-

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

So, I've wondered this before but haven't asked yet (or at least I don't remember asking lol), what's with the noticeable absence of Bandana Dee? Are you in my camp of thinking that Sakurai's work is heavily influenced by his own biases, do you think Bandana Dee isn't important enough to get in, or is it another reason that's different than both of those?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley's appearance in Melee's opening is what got me to check out Metroid in the first place, as a kid I thought getting to fight enemies like that could only mean Metroid games are amazing. I was proven right as Metroid has been my favorite video game series ever since, although it has more to do with the amazing game design and not just shooting the **** out of dragons like my youthful head thought automatically made a game awesome. I think my own experience says a lot about Ridley though, even before I got my hands on any Metroid game I was questioning why the cool dragon from the intro wasn't playable, the character himself has a timeless appeal that will resonate with people who have never touched a Metroid game before just based on design alone, and I can guarantee you that he'll sell games simply by being on the cover. My great experience with Metroid also lead me to explore even more series that were present in Smash, so in a way Ridley's short appearance started the chain effect that would eventually make me the huge Nintendo fan that I am today.

I don't think Metroid needs representation just because it only has two characters, I think whether a franchise is underrepresented or not always depends on the potential characters Smash can draw from it, and in that regard Metroid is extremely thin if we don't count Ridley, who so far has the ineligible tag on him. I don't think we'll need any more Metroid reps again should he make it, in fact I'd say that getting ZSS along the way is a huge bonus, Samus and Ridley alone would be enough to represent the series, and would be able to do so until we eventually get a new major Metroid character down the line (but that will take many years of that character establishing itself in the series).

Ridley isn't a character who's being requested just because of the series he originates from (like pretty much every other requested Metroid character ever), it's his own merits that have drawn so many people towards him. It's noteworthy that Ridley's support during the Brawl era was more or less the same as it is now, a time when Metroid wasn't generally thought of as underrepresented after having received a second character, and during Smash 4 speculation Metroid as a series was in a really bad spot, yet Ridley's support persisted through both periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom