• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So, I've wondered this before but haven't asked yet (or at least I don't remember asking lol), what's with the noticeable absence of Bandana Dee? Are you in my camp of thinking that Sakurai's work is heavily influenced by his own biases, do you think Bandana Dee isn't important enough to get in, or is it another reason that's different than both of those?
I already have been convinced that moveset potential is not a problem by Sarki Soliliquy's analysis on the character, but I am of the belief that Sakurai's bias will ultimately pass Dee off. That is the only real wall I see. But I would be glad to be wrong. :p

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
There's actually a deep secret truth about melee intro Ridley

He was never shrunken it was actually a forced perspective illusion is what it was. Ridley was much farther back in the tunnel then it seemed

Now as for the rumor I'm really not holding my breath even though the source is from a Reliable person

The big problem is reliable source have ben wrong before as a matter of fact

The whole chorus men, chrom, thing was almost going to be slam dunk but then his rumor suddenly got a one heck of a rabbit punch when Lucina and robin was revealed he kept trying to claim he wasn't wrong

But I think what really happened was they had a change of plans in the roster but he did get pac-man, mii, palutena, a Shula correct though

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I'd say regarding veterans, after E3 they could perhaps reveal them in "waves" every so often, with hidden vets not being shown off until after release as is tradition. Assuming we have a healhy amount of newcomers this game, I could see the process for each reveal trailer being along the lines of "one newcomer + a few veterans or so"

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It might be too early, but I will take an extreme risk and bank on the leak being real before insiders get into it and make the leak more credible. So here is a new prediction roster:

Still, I am going to admit that I was wrong about Ridley and Simon. So I will not get bragging points from that regardless if the leak ends up being real.

If the leak ends up being wrong, ah well. It will cost me somewhat. It is fun to bet anyway. :p

I promise analyses for newcomer additions like Ridley, Mii Mage, and Simon will come soon. When all those analyses are done, then my prediction roster will be completed and the full roster post will come.
A roster with 79 characters, especially one with no cuts is not something I can believe in, same with the idea of Dr. Kawashima being playable.

(I'm also skeptical of the idea of getting two Xenoblade newcomers and another Mii Fighter)

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I already have been convinced that moveset potential is not a problem by Sarki Soliliquy's analysis on the character, but I am of the belief that Sakurai's bias will ultimately pass Dee off. That is the only real wall I see. But I would be glad to be wrong. :p
I'm currently skeptical of the Sakurai bias, but if Bandana Dee doesn't get into the base roster I'll be convinced that there is an unfortunate bias. Kirby characters are highly requested, especially in Japan and Bandana Dee is one of the most. That and he is heavily pushed by Nintendo and has moveset potential, I mean really his potential just writes itself.

D

Deleted member

I don't really think we're gonna get out with absolutely no cuts. I'm sure there there will be at least a handful, unfortunately.

Since people were talking about Konami reps earlier, while Bomber Man would be cool, I reaaaally want Snake back. He was really unique and fun back in Brawl, and is easily my most missed veteran from that game. :(

As for Ridley...yeah, as much as I want it, it ain't happening in my opinion. While there are lots of cool mods out there for him that show off his potential, there are still some underlying problems with them that keep him from being fully realizable. Memes aside, Sakurai's arguments are pretty valid. No matter how you look at it, you'd have to shrink him down, which just looks weird. Then there's the thing about "not being able to fly around freely", which I agree with. A big part of Ridley's character is his flying, which would be impossible to represent properly in Smash without being horribly unbalanced.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, do people want Ridley because they feel like Metroid needs to be represented more or is there actually something to Ridley which needs him to be in Smash?
The latter. I've never cared about representation nor ever will. I've always said this and will keep saying it until my last day on Earth: Super Smash Bros is all about Nintendo's All Stars. It was always promoted like that until it kind of started to be a promotional instrument as well (and the addition of third parties which I'm more than ok with).

That's why I never pay attention when you guys discuss about "relevancy". To me, villains like Ridley or K.Rool are iconic and representative enough (of their games and of an Era) that they deserve to be in the game as playable characters. I don't give a DAMN about their current relevancy. They are ICONIC. If you are old enough it doesn't matter how much you enjoy DK's newest games, you will most likely remember about K.Rool's existance and importance in the history of DK.

Sakurai can't for the life of him think of a moveset for them or a way to resize them correctly? Ok. He can't get the rights to use K.Rool somehow? Ok dude at least you tried. But I will never accept any "they are not relevant anymore" shenanigans, because history and impact are there for a reason.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It might be too early, but I will take an extreme risk and bank on the leak being real before insiders get into it and make the leak more credible. So here is a new prediction roster:

Still, I am going to admit that I was wrong about Ridley and Simon. So I will not get bragging points from that regardless if the leak ends up being real.

If the leak ends up being wrong, ah well. It will cost me somewhat. It is fun to bet anyway. :p

I promise analyses for newcomer additions like Ridley, Mii Mage, and Simon will come soon. When all those analyses are done, then my prediction roster will be completed and the full roster post will come.

There's one problem with that roster is

Lack of king k rool

The ballot is what will probably get him a spot since he's easilyer number 2 or 3 on it (1 if sakurai lied about bayonetta being the most voted all around which is a conspiracy theory.)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
There's one problem with that roster is

Lack of king k rool

The ballot is what will probably get him a spot since he's easilyer number 2 or 3 on it (1 if sakurai lied about bayonetta being the most voted all around which is a conspiracy theory.)
Getting flashbacks over here to Sm4sh when people called rosters unlikely due to a lack of K. Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Takamaru, etc

I don't think Blue's roster is going to be right either but it's not because a certain character is missing.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

Elma is a literal expressionless sidekick to a mute in a titles thats not even a main entry to the series.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Classic Blue. Lemme break this down for ya...

- Seriously get rid of the person next to Wario. A card game isn't happening
- No Bandanna Dee or new Zelda rep? Something seems fishy there
- I really don't think there should even be 3 AC reps at this point. Tom Nook could just end up being a clone of both Villager and Isabelle.
- Same results for Xenoblade. I don't think it deserves 3 characters at the moment and I'll be surprised if it does so
- Dr. F again? Seriously Blue, get your head out of the box and accept that he's going to be nothing more than an AT.
- Too many 3rd party reps there especially with Simon, Sora, Layton, Snake returning, and the Tekken character. There's WAYYYYY too many and I guarantee not all of them are going to return

7.8/10

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I like the leak, could be incorrect though.

E3 will be interesting to see the roster the invitational gets to play with.
If it's the whole Wii U roster plus a few new characters, I think that would make the hype for character reveals in the future better... No stress of cuts... Really easy to rally behind new additions when there's no risk of glaring omissions.

The idea of Konami being involved again is very exciting.
Is the leaker clearly stating it's Simon Belmont or was he merely suggesting Belmont and only knows there will be a new Konami character? Still I think it increases the odds of Snake's return and possibly the addition of Bomberman... Just because of the mere fact Konami is involved.

Ice Climbers makes sense, if the roster is ported over they had existing assets on the Wii U.

Ridley, long over due. Hype. Didn't Emily Rogers or someone else mention Ridley before as well? Maybe it was Rogers Base.

Hmm I wonder about other characters who were considered for smash 4 but didn't make it... Alph with Rock Pikmin, chrom, Heihachi, etc.

I'll def be rallying for the return of all vets prior to Smash 4... Wolf, Young Link, Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur. (Keep in mind the new Pokemon Switch games are looking like Kanto based games). Young Link would be possible if Koei Tecmo got involved with their Hyrule Warriors assets.... or maybe BotW Link is a new Link and Young Link will play more like Wii U's Link.

I see real possibilities for the whole Smash family returning under one banner with this leak so I like the idea of it.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Elma is a literal expressionless sidekick to a mute in a titles thats not even a main entry to the series.
Literally how is that relevant? she's narratively the main character and X isn't not a main entry just cause it's not a numbered title, if anything it's likely to become it's own sub-series while Rex and Pyra will never be seen again

And when it comes to moveset potential she eclipses Rex lol

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master

I have one question for you regarding all this Blue. You don't expect this to be the base game roster do you? Surely some of these would be more likely DLC choices. Especially many of the 3rd Party choices that weren't in Smash 4 already. Are you accounting for DLC too in this roster?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think a Zelda Rep for the sake of a Zelda Rep is even more fishy. (Completely ignoring the fact that I have what basically equates to a Zelda placeholder on my roster prediction lol)
Considering that Breath of the Wild, a link between worlds, triforce heroes, 3 versions of Hyrule Warriors and remakes of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess AND Majora's Mask have come out between Smash 4's planning stages and Smash 5 I'm gonna be seriously disappointed if we don't get a Zelda rep.

Troykv

Smash Master
That's not necessarily true. Pikachu is in every Smash game, and plays pretty damn differently in each one. Meta Knight went from playing an incredibly defensive, evasive game to being pure rushdown. Bowser went from a bad character to a grappler. Even among characters whose overall game plan doesn't change, what you do with them can change completely. ICs don't really play all that differently from Melee to Brawl on a macro level, but it took quite a while for people to figure out their chaingrab infinite. Even if nothing about the character changes, the universal mechanics can change everything.
Of course, I'm not saying that the general physics changes doesn't affect the character; but those play-styles are mostly producti of ended up diving into the game's meta-game; Smash Switch lacks meta-game currently (he game will start to develop one after the demo), so every previous possible knowledge of the old moveset can be useful even if the character's play-style ended up favoring other completely different strategies as you said.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
What do u guys think of Balloon Fighter becoming a playable character?
He wouldn't be my first pick for retro characters.
But I would welcome the addition, I wouldn't mind seeing a tribute character for Iwata.
Balloon Fighter is definitely a candidate, if that were the case.
You can't really get more of a Nintendo character/ rep then that.

Iwata aided Sakurai for the creation of Smash 64.
I can definitely see Sakurai paying tribute in some way shape or form.
It'll probably hit me right in the feels...

Celebration of life trailer at E3 for Iwata, near the end of the trailer it shows a clip of him speaking fondly of a character he made or help create.... fade to black... reveal trailer for said character... tears down everyone's face, even if the character is lame, it's instantly every ones most beloved character.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
What do u guys think of Balloon Fighter becoming a playable character?
Not particularly interested but I wouldn't be opposed at all, I have no idea what he could do for a moveset but he seems like the type of character sakurai would be able to come up with something super creative for, maybe some time of mechanic where you can blow up a certain amount of balloons and that changes his attributes or you could blow up balloons and that would change his aerial moveset or something. idk.

Not only am I betting on my prediction roster, but I am betting $45 with @Cutie Gwen that a Hanafuda character will be in Smash as the historical surprise character. I have the money saved for her already:

Speculation is an absolutely fun ride.
have fun losing $45 I guess :p

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Not only am I betting on my prediction roster, but I am betting $45 with @Cutie Gwen that a Hanafuda character will be in Smash as the historical surprise character. I have the money saved for her already:

Not to be a jerk, but I really hope you're prepared to lose that money, my guy.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Didn't know Smash boards was a gambling site.
Put me down for $100 on Mario.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Considering that Breath of the Wild, a link between worlds, triforce heroes, 3 versions of Hyrule Warriors and remakes of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess AND Majora's Mask have come out between Smash 4's planning stages and Smash 5 I'm gonna be seriously disappointed if we don't get a Zelda rep.
While I agree I think it's pretty telling that most people just expect a '' Zelda rep" compared to other series where we have more expected characters (Bandana Dee, Toad, Ridley, Dixie/King K. Rool).

Like I said, my prediction includes a Zelda character, I'm expecting a Champion and Mipha seems most likely, but it's still a placeholder at the end of the day.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The money shown in that picture right now is birthday money. So I will not lose much. I would gladly pay $45 to invest on Smash speculation. :p
Wild, Honestly Blue I have no idea how or why you're so sure about this guy getting in but I gotta admire the dedication and faith lol

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I actually will bet money on Elma. She's the only one I'm 90% sure will be in... And I want 0%.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Some info regarding Dillon in Smash Bros.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...with-kensuke-tanabe-risa-tabata-and-jun-tsuda

NWR:
What other Nintendo series would you think Dillon would fit best into?

KT: Wishful speaking, but we would love it if we could see Dillon in Smash Bros.

NWR: I think a lot of us would agree with that. He did have an Assist Trophy in the last one.

JT: I also think that Smash Bros would be the best fit.

RT: I want to put together all the round characters in a game.

KT: We would welcome Sonic as well.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Wild, Honestly Blue I have no idea how or why you're so sure about this guy getting in but I gotta admire the dedication and faith lol
I get Blue's mentality, you just get this feeling, it's like it has to happen/ you're willing it into the universe.
The more faith you have the more of a mentally satisfying payout it has when it comes true.

I sorta have it for Parabo & Satebo.
Just not to the extent Blue does.

It's like an itch or anticipation... just rooting for an underdog with the outta no where effect.
It's like so unprobable... it becomes probable.

Idk I could be wrong but that's how I see it, although I realize it lacks logical reasoning or any measure of sense.

Hooked on a feeling.

Gamblers intuition.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Also important
Kensuke Tanabe: We do have an idea for a game where Tingle turns into a super-powered being. So we just need to talk to the management.

I need this.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Literally how is that relevant? she's narratively the main character and X isn't not a main entry just cause it's not a numbered title, if anything it's likely to become it's own sub-series while Rex and Pyra will never be seen again

And when it comes to moveset potential she eclipses Rex lol
Well it could go either way narrative wise.

As for movesets, I'd say Elma has more to pull from for individual attacks but Rex/Pyra have more to work with in terms of how to implement them.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Well it could go either way narrative wise.

As for movesets, I'd say Elma has more to pull from for individual attacks but Rex/Pyra have more to work with in terms of how to implement them.
Elma also has a bunch of other stuff from X's combat they could pull from if they really wanted to, stance changing, TP, overdrive. If Sakurai wanted to make her gimmicky there's ample material.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Is there a ****ing loss edit in this thread?
I thought I was finally safe from this, but even here it's following me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom