• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
"Splatoon should be big enough for two characters"

Are we seriously going there again?

The Inklings alone represent Splatoon enough. Octolings and any other character isn't needed.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Joke: Takamaru or Mach Rider
Woke: Those 3 kids from that Marvelous Treasure Island game as a trio fighter

osby

Smash Obsessed
Fire Emblem probably won't get any characters. It had already a lot of fighters in the last game and there is no new obvious choise.

Also, pet peeve but I hope English localization finally keeps it as "Pikmin & Olimar".

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So here's a question, if Pikachu gets a new final smash should it be the regular electric type Z-Move being Gigavolt Havoc, the Pikachu Z-Move being Catastropika, or the Ash-Hat Pikachu Z-Move being 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt? Personally, I lean toward Gigavolt Havoc since it doesn't use a trainer in the Z-Move animation.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So here's a question, if Pikachu gets a new final smash should it be the regular electric type Z-Move being Gigavolt Havoc, the Pikachu Z-Move being Catastropika, or the Ash-Hat Pikachu Z-Move being 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt? Personally, I lean toward Gigavolt Havoc since it doesn't use a trainer in the Z-Move animation.
I personally think 10,000,000 volt thunderbolt would be better. They could just modify it. Volt Tackle is vastly different to the way it appears in the anime and in the games.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

The Inklings alone represent Splatoon enough. Octolings and any other character isn't needed.
Yeah, I agree. If you have a character that can just completely represent what their series is about, I wouldn't say that series needs any more characters. Franchises like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Xenoblade, etc... They can get away with multiple characters because each character can bring something new to the table that the others can't (in most cases, I'm aware two of my examples have clones).

Splatoon is so perfectly represented by the Inklings, any further characters from the series making it into Smash would make the Splatoon universe feel bloated.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Ooo, are we still posting rosters? Mine is very much an "ideal roster" rather than an actual prediction. :p

I personally think it'd be really nice to have a smaller roster, where veterans can be heavily reworked and each character gets a stronger unique identity. It'd also help with balance, I reckon.

This would never happen obviously, but I'd personally love to see a Smash game like this, with more focus on quality than on quantity.
No offense but imo it messes with my eyes the way the 3ds' 3d does.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
No one.

I don't think it will get one.
I just think that this time Sakurai isn't going to add anyone.

He said there was too many before and I honestly believe that he's going to focus on keeping as many vets as he can this time.
I also think that we won't get another hero from this game, with Corrin being the newcomer we could have ended up with if there was no DLC for Smash bros. For.
Basically we got out Fire Emblem newcomer two years early.

If however we were to have another one, I have no idea who that could be.
Fire Emblem probably won't get any characters. It had already a lot of fighters in the last game and there is no new obvious choise.

Also, pet peeve but I hope English localization finally keeps it as "Pikmin & Olimar".
Fire Emblem has always gotten a newcomer. Always. Melee to Brawl we got Ike. Brawl to WiiU/3DS we got Robin, Lucina, Corrin, and the return of Roy.

Do I think it’s oversaturated in representation? Sure, but that doesn’t matter.

Things to keep in mind in regards to Fire Emblem and Smash are:
1. Fire Emblem is extremely popular. It has been in Japan for quiet some time, and just became so in the West a few years ago. It’s one of Sakurai’s favorite franchises.
2. Smash is also a promotional tool for Nintendo, especially now with the possibilities DLC brings.
3. Fire Emblem is very character centric. It’s easier to pull newcomers from that franchise because it’s more immerse with character development.

We’ll almost definitely get a newcomer from Fire Emblem for Smash. Possibly even 2. Let me explain. So far as we know, everything is pointing to this Smash title being a completely new iteration. With every smash game comes cuts, and newcomers. Fire Emblem, with that Sakurai’s comments of over representation in mind, is likely to receive cuts. However, the roster also gets larger with each iteration of Smash. Both things in mind, I could see Lucina, Roy, and/or Corrin getting cut. Not all three, but a combination of two is possible. I personally think Lucina will be the only cut. Roy is too popular with the Smash community, and Corrin represents a new title, and brought something new to Smash and Fire Emblem representation with their transformation archetype. What was once 6, is now 5. On a roster of 70-80 characters, that’s less than 10% of the roster. Celica, Lyn, and/or a character from FE 16 as DLC are obvious choices and likely addition. In the same vain as before, I don’t see all 3 getting in, but 2 is totally possible. Personally, I think it’ll be Celica and a DLC FE16 character, later on. (for promotional purposes.) But I do know Lyn is the most popular female Fire Emblem character, and may be the most popular in general. Celica is more recent however, and that does play a factor.

All and all, I think it’s inevitable we’ll get at least one newcomer for Fire Emblem. As to who it will be? I don’t know. I’m not Sakurai, and I don’t work for Nintendo. If what I think will happen happens though, we’ll have 7 Fire Emblem Characters. Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Corrin, Celica on the base roster, and a character from FE 16 as DLC. On a roster of a possible 70-80 characters it’s >10% of the entire roster. That’s not over saturation in the slightest anymore. At least in my opinion.

Edit: I do not think we’ll get 80 characters. That’s a stretch, but 70-77, totally.

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Ok here's an idea that'll most likely not happen but it would be a nice touch! Some of you know the Koopa Kids from Mario Party right? Well they could either make them a separate character or three new costumes for Bowser Jr. They'd most likely make him a costume, trophy or sticker (i stickers return). But hey it's a fun idea imo!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ok here's an idea that'll most likely not happen but it would be a nice touch! Some of you know the Koopa Kids from Mario Party right? Well they could either make them a separate character or three new costumes for Bowser Jr. They'd most likely make him a costume, trophy or sticker (i stickers return). But hey it's a fun idea imo!
It'd fun for some but they'll probably want to keep 7 extra costumes=7 Koopalings thing intact. Unless everyone will get 10 extra costumes, it doesn't seem plausible, especially if you consider how much of a pain in the neck adding Koopalings in the first place.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Fire Emblem has always gotten a newcomer. Always. Melee to Brawl we got Ike. Brawl to WiiU/3DS we got Robin, Lucina, Corrin, and the return of Roy.

Do I think it’s oversaturated in representation? Sure, but that doesn’t matter.

Things to keep in mind in regards to Fire Emblem and Smash are:
1. Fire Emblem is extremely popular. It has been in Japan for quiet some time, and just became so in the West a few years ago. It’s one of Sakurai’s favorite franchises.
2. Smash is also a promotional tool for Nintendo, especially now with the possibilities DLC brings.
3. Fire Emblem is very character centric. It’s easier to pull newcomers from that franchise because it’s more immerse with character development.

We’ll almost definitely get a newcomer from Fire Emblem for Smash. Possibly even 2. Let me explain. So far as we know, everything is pointing to this Smash title being a completely new iteration. With every smash game comes cuts, and newcomers. Fire Emblem, with that Sakurai’s comments of over representation in mind, is likely to receive cuts. However, the roster also gets larger with each iteration of Smash. Both things in mind, I could see Lucina, Roy, and/or Corrin getting cut. Not all three, but a combination of two is possible. I personally think Lucina will be the only cut. Roy is too popular with the Smash community, and Corrin represents a new title, and brought something new to Smash and Fire Emblem representation with their transformation archetype. What was once 6, is now 5. On a roster of 70-80 characters, that’s less than 10% of the roster. Celica, Lyn, and/or a character from FE 16 as DLC are obvious choices and likely addition. In the same vain as before, I don’t see all 3 getting in, but 2 is totally possible. Personally, I think it’ll be Celica and a DLC FE16 character, later on. (for promotional purposes.) But I do know Lyn is the most popular female Fire Emblem character, and may be the most popular in general. Celica is more recent however, and that does play a factor.

All and all, I think it’s inevitable we’ll get at least one newcomer for Fire Emblem. As to who it will be? I don’t know. I’m not Sakurai, and I don’t work for Nintendo. If what I think will happen happens though, we’ll have 7 Fire Emblem Characters. Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Corrin, Celica on the base roster, and a character from FE 16 as DLC. On a roster of a possible 70-80 characters it’s >10% of the entire roster. That’s not over saturation in the slightest anymore. At least in my opinion.

Edit: I do not think we’ll get 80 characters. That’s a stretch, but 70-77, totally.
Trusting patterns during Smash speculation is hazardous at best. The same thing happened with Zelda for sm4sh. Everyone was "there has been zelda newcomers in every previous Smash title there therefore WILL be one. The ones not expecting any are set for dissappointment!"

We all know how this ended.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay.

We're going past thinking its likely and going into being super cocky about it.

People think FE won't have a newcomer this time.

Why is that such a huge thing for some people?

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Okay.

The only FE rep I can see is an old one. Everyone assumes they will do a Lord from the switch but I don't see that. I see Corrin coming back and representing the "new" rep.

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
I think the simplest and most effective Pikachu update would be Catastropika is the new Final Smash and Volt Tackle replaces Skull Bash as a Side B. Volt Tackle could use the same animation but with an electric effect that drags opponents with a multi-hit until their ejected with a larger last hit at the end of the move. The last part does recoil, like Charizard's Flare Blitz, however the inital set-up lacks recoil. Since Pikachu has only ever learned Skull Bash by a Gen 1 TM, I think that reshuffling its moves a little to make room for a Z-Move is in order. Catastropika doesn't have to change the actual properties of the Final Smash much at all, but the ability to divebomb into the ground with a shockwave like the actual move and generally being less hideous to control would both be great.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I've given my reasons as to why I don't think we'll see a new Fire Emblem character before, but I'll post them again.

Sakurai has said that they aren't required to include a Fire Emblem character from the newest game. Also Sakurai already felt the amount of FE characters in the last game was too much, and the main reason Corrin got in was because of their unique characteristic of transforming parts of their body and extending it with incredible reach, and I don't think Celica or Alm have the same amount of unique potential.

Maybe the Switch game has a very unique main character they could add, but the game probably came around too late for Sakurai to include a character from it (remember Sakurai said that if Awakening had come out about 7 months after development for Smash started he might not have put Robin and Lucina in the game). There is always the possibility of a character from the new game getting added as a last minute clone, but I doubt that would happen. I think we'll just see most if not all of the previous Fire Emblem characters return with a character from the Switch game as potential DLC.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also as far as we see, Sakurai doesn't really force himself to add characters from any franchise unless,

1-) They are recurring characters
2-) They are protagonists of an important/recent game

Popularity and moveset potential is also deciding factor.

Fire Emblem probably won't get Celica or Lyn or anyone just because they are popular or don't use swords.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Trusting patterns during Smash speculation is hazardous at best. The same thing happened with Zelda for sm4sh. Everyone was "there has been zelda newcomers in every previous Smash title there therefore WILL be one. The ones not expecting any are set for dissappointment!"

We all know how this ended.
Okay.

I apologize if I came off cocky. That wasn’t my intention. As for following patterns, it gets used in justifications for Characters all the time. It’s why we’re here. To speculate. None of us know anymore about the roster then the next person. We’re all just swinging wildly in the dark hoping we hit the nail on the head about a character’s inclusion. Now, I do think it’s important to look at to the past and things we know of Sakurai, and try to make educated guesses using logic and feasibility, but at the end of the day we’re all clueless.

If by some chance, Fire Emblem doesn’t get a newcomer I’ll be the first one to say I was wrong. With rising popularity, and a wide array of detailed characters to choose from, it would be a surprise.

Lastly, comparing The Legend of Zelda and Fire Emblem in terms of representation. Each Fire Emblem game, the main characters change. There’s more choices to pull from with each game. As for The Legend of Zelda, the main cast stays the same. Link, Zelda, and some incarnation of Ganon. With Impa, yes she’s reoccurring, but she’s different every game, so if she became a character which incarnation of her should be used? Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see Impa from Hyrule Warriors or a Champion, but even with the Champions, choosing one of the other just doesn’t seem right. They all have equally important roles. It’d only be fair to either add all of them or none of them. As for other characters like Skull Kid, Midna, or Ghirahim that gets tossed around here, it’s still possible I suppose, but it seems like that ship has probably sailed for them. Same goes for Lyn in Fire Emblem. It’s just much easier to pull newcomers from Fire Emblem than it is Legend of Zelda.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Who is saying that FE is going to get a 7th character? If anything, given Sakurai already felt there were too many FE characters before Corrin was added, I think it's more likely that FE will recieve at least one cut than keep all of its characters, especially if Celica is a newcomer.
Don't forget, Lyn has just as much or dare I say a higher chance than Celica, but it's also possible we could get both.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I personally think 10,000,000 volt thunderbolt would be better. They could just modify it. Volt Tackle is vastly different to the way it appears in the anime and in the games.
The way Volt Tackle works in Smash is actually based on it's origin as the signature attack of Game Freak's Pulseman.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I think we have a pretty sure idea of that thanks to Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite.
I was gonna get that game, but I think I dodged a bullet from the stuff I heard, but yeah not a big fan of shortening the roster.

Out of every franchise, which do you think has the best shot at getting two newcomers on the base roster?

I think Pokemon, Xeno, and Splatoon all have a decent chance, but if I had to choose only one, I'd say Pokemon. Any of you have a different opinion?
Pokémon, Zelda, but I believe Kid Icarus has the best chance since that is Sakurai's baby after all, that and also I really want Phosphora as a newcomer for Smash is not unlikely and her having a trophy assist helps her chances : )

Last edited by a moderator:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Pokémon, Zelda, but I believe Kid Icarus has the best chance since that is Sakurai's baby after all, that and also I really want Phosphora as a newcomer for Smash is not unlikely and her having a trophy assist helps her chances : )
It's more like his adopted baby. Sakurai didn't add any new Kirby characters in Melee or Smash 4. Also Uprising is kind of old news now. Sakurai isn't that biased.

Staarih

Smash Master
Hopefully one of the Pikachu-specific ones rather than the general electric-type one.

Honestly though, I’d rather Pikachu keep Volt Tackle since it’s one of the ”original” Pikachu-centric things and, well, I like it and it works. A (possible?) 7th gen newcomer will showcase a Z-move final smash most likely anyway.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Well, here I go. I tried to make my own Smash Roster... Keyword being tried. I did my best to balance "Expected" with "Wants".
View attachment 144005
I have a LOT of footnotes for this roster, so give these a read before passing judgement:

-Yes, I suck at organization. Duck Hunt and Wii Fit were meant to swap places. Whoops.
-I kept Smash 4's roster... Except for its clones. I feel clones are extremely expendable, for obvious reasons, and we really don't know what may happen to them from game to game. 4's clones were ESPECIALLY same-y compared to clones of the past, since they were originally going to be costumes, so if we don't get a full-on "No Cuts" roster or a 4.5, I highly expect them to be the first to go.
-I also removed Roy to trim the Fire Emblem fat. Lyn and Celica are both extremely close ties in likelihood for me,, and I wanted to put both in, but I feel like Sakurai may very well tone FE down a bit. And because one Marth is all we need thank you very much.
-The Dittos represent "New" clones. Maybe Doc coming back as one, I dunno.
-"Newcomer" is a new Pokemon rep. It's extremely hard for me to pin down a "guaranteed" rep for a series as massive as Pokemon. I'd expect it to be a Gen 6 rep for obvious reasons. If you have to twist my arm and make me choose, Decidueye.
-Revali is interchangeable with any of BOTW's 4 champions. I feel BOTW was in the oven long enough for there to be a rep for it, especially given its scope and acclaim.
-I would have put in Spring Man, and Rex & Pyra rather than Elma, but I'm of the mindset that it might be too soon for them given the release of their games. I highly expect them to be DLC.
-Given that SEGA and Capcom got two reps in 4 (Yes, I still consider Bayonetta SEGA), I felt it fair to "balance out" Square Enix and Namco by giving them another rep.
-I'm bad at this.

Let me know your thoughts and questions. Rip and tear away.
Your roster is pretty average and solid. I'm personally on board with you for a BOTW champion rep, game was too big of a deal not to get a rep and it's now or never for Zelda. I think Mipha instead but eh.

I do have to point out something that makes no sense. You cut the clone trio, which people have already argued back and forth about forever so whatever that's your opinnion. But then you added 3 more clones??? What's the logic behind Sakurai getting rid of the clone trio because they're "expendable" and then adding three new clones?

D

Deleted member

Replace "Splatoon" with "Animal Crossing", and it works the same.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, here I go. I tried to make my own Smash Roster... Keyword being tried. I did my best to balance "Expected" with "Wants".
View attachment 144005
I have a LOT of footnotes for this roster, so give these a read before passing judgement:

-Yes, I suck at organization. Duck Hunt and Wii Fit were meant to swap places. Whoops.
-I kept Smash 4's roster... Except for its clones. I feel clones are extremely expendable, for obvious reasons, and we really don't know what may happen to them from game to game. 4's clones were ESPECIALLY same-y compared to clones of the past, since they were originally going to be costumes, so if we don't get a full-on "No Cuts" roster or a 4.5, I highly expect them to be the first to go.
-I also removed Roy to trim the Fire Emblem fat. Lyn and Celica are both extremely close ties in likelihood for me,, and I wanted to put both in, but I feel like Sakurai may very well tone FE down a bit. And because one Marth is all we need thank you very much.
-The Dittos represent "New" clones. Maybe Doc coming back as one, I dunno.
-"Newcomer" is a new Pokemon rep. It's extremely hard for me to pin down a "guaranteed" rep for a series as massive as Pokemon. I'd expect it to be a Gen 6 rep for obvious reasons. If you have to twist my arm and make me choose, Decidueye.
-Revali is interchangeable with any of BOTW's 4 champions. I feel BOTW was in the oven long enough for there to be a rep for it, especially given its scope and acclaim.
-I would have put in Spring Man, and Rex & Pyra rather than Elma, but I'm of the mindset that it might be too soon for them given the release of their games. I highly expect them to be DLC.
-Given that SEGA and Capcom got two reps in 4 (Yes, I still consider Bayonetta SEGA), I felt it fair to "balance out" Square Enix and Namco by giving them another rep.
-I'm bad at this.

Let me know your thoughts and questions. Rip and tear away.
Wait, we don't need three Marths but three Foxes is necessary?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
View attachment 144023 This is the Fire Emblem character I want. Leaf.

Dope af.
I find it funny that Roy's fire supposedly made him start out as a character when Leif's sword uses light instead, and he promotes into a class that can use EVERY WEAPON TYPE IN THE SERIES except dark magic. He would've had far better moveset potential in future games if he got in Melee.

He's also a far better character from a much better game but you know.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Yall are getting a Fire Emblem newcomer weather you like it or not, and I'm putting a 85% wager on Celica.
Bet taken. If no FE characters make it into the base roster during Smash 6 speculation at the end of each of your posts you have to write "but I've been wrong before". Obviously the same would go for me if one makes it in.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Im not a fan of the FE series and only keep track of it cause it’s related to Smash so FE getting another rep isn’t high on my list. That being said, there are a few candidates that I am comfortable supporting as a newcomer addition:

• Celicia: she’s a magic swordswoman, right? If I can’t get Terra from FF, then she’s the next best thing maybe.
  • Alm: he looks pretty cool
  • Lyndis: Super quick samurai style action
  • Micaiah: Maybe too much of a Zelda vibe but I still like the idea.
  • Black Knight: Always been my top pick. What Ganondorf should of been.
I was gonna get that game, but I think I dodged a bullet from the stuff I heard, but yeah not a big fan of shortening the roster.

I merged your posts for you since you double posted but be careful not to double post again or it may lead to a disciplinary warning and/or infractions.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Saying a character's name doesn't roll off the tongue as a reason to not include him..
Wait, we don't need three Marths but three Foxes is necessary?
The Brawl Three are more distinguishable from each other. It's a moot point. Even the Mario 3 offer more variety.

Nobody would have a problem with the Fire Emblem cast if it weren't for Corrin imo. That created a whole new wave of negativity which I somewhat understand - it tripled its amount of characters from the previous game and two characters from the same series got in as DLC. It was a bit much for a series that nobody here knew about until 2001 (missing the nostalgia factor for a lot of people here). Fire Emblem could be represented in other ways that it actually feels underwhelming in such as stages, items, and music though.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Lastly, comparing The Legend of Zelda and Fire Emblem in terms of representation. Each Fire Emblem game, the main characters change. There’s more choices to pull from with each game. As for The Legend of Zelda, the main cast stays the same. Link, Zelda, and some incarnation of Ganon. With Impa, yes she’s reoccurring, but she’s different every game, so if she became a character which incarnation of her should be used? Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see Impa from Hyrule Warriors or a Champion, but even with the Champions, choosing one of the other just doesn’t seem right. They all have equally important roles. It’d only be fair to either add all of them or none of them. As for other characters like Skull Kid, Midna, or Ghirahim that gets tossed around here, it’s still possible I suppose, but it seems like that ship has probably sailed for them. Same goes for Lyn in Fire Emblem. It’s just much easier to pull newcomers from Fire Emblem than it is Legend of Zelda.
Zelda is actually closer to FE than you think.

The silent protagonist, the damsel in distress, and the evil warlock (albeit in different forms) all stay the same, but just like FE, there's still some variation in the cast of main characters. Not nearly as much, yeah, but definitely enough to pull a Smash newcomer from. In TP, we had Midna. In SS, we had Fi and Ghirahim. In BotW, we had the Champions.

People get so hung up on the recurring "Triforce Three" that they seemingly forget that the the franchise has extended its arm to include more main characters than just those three. So why do people seem to forget them or sell them short? Smash's representation of the series so far. Since we haven't gotten any Zelda newcomers that aren't related to the main three, people have created their own rule that any Zelda newcomer must somehow be related to Link or Ganondorf if they want a good chance to get added. In their opinion, recurring characters are the only other reasonable additions, and one-time non-playable characters are a pipe dream at best.

Honestly, supporting a character like Midna or a Champion should be no different than supporting someone like Chrom or Celica. Unfortunately, Sakurai has put us in a position where we can't envision even the most obvious of Zelda newcomers as possible. We've become so pessimistic and cautious, that we can't agree on who would get added or if we'd even get anyone at all. Meanwhile, most people have already given FE16 a newcomer on their rosters, and we haven't even seen the game yet.

Saying a character's name doesn't roll off the tongue as a reason to not include him..

The Brawl Three are more distinguishable from each other. It's a moot point. Even the Mario 3 offer more variety.

Nobody would have a problem with the Fire Emblem cast if it weren't for Corrin imo. That created a whole new wave of negativity which I somewhat understand - it tripled its amount of characters from the previous game and two characters from the same series got in as DLC. It was a bit much for a series that nobody here knew about until 2001 (missing the nostalgia factor for a lot of people here). Fire Emblem could be represented in other ways that it actually feels underwhelming in such as stages, items, and music though.
I still don't like Corrin, but I'll probably be more fine with him if Smash Switch rolls around and we don't get any FE newcomers. If he didn't get in as Smash 4 DLC, I have no doubt he would've ended up getting added anyways in this Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Agreed but it's still weird to say "no clones for Fire Emblem" while keeping them in Star Fox. Also I'm still going to defend Roy and say he plays nothing like Marth.

I don't know if you can pull a lot of items or stages from Fire Emblem. Then again Legend of Zelda has a ton of music, stages, items and Assist Trophies and it flew under a lot of people's radars.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Also keep in mind that while moveset potential/being unique is nice, this fighting game is different from others in the sense that people want characters in because of their parent series and personality.

If a character similar to Wolf exists in Street Fighter then nobody would be really clamoring for his return, but people who love Star Fox will obviously want him as do people who gave him a chance in Brawl to stand out.

I'll always be character over potential because it's a Nintendo celebration. Some of the characters I want would be bland in terms potential but I don't care. It's what they represent in their series that matters.

I don't play Fire Emblem but I actually understand and prefer Lucina over Corrin. She was one of the main protagonists in the series' biggest title and remains a popular character to this day. She, to me, is a Nintendo All-Star. Corrin on the other hand doesn't feel that way and thus sticks out like a sore thumb.

And there's Roy who got in due to Smash nostalgia when the roster was small enough to appreciate everyone in the game. With a roster of nearly 60 characters on the other hand it gets difficult to get attached to a character, especially at an older age.

tl;dr: I'm somewhat old.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ganondorf should walk around in giant shoulder pads and an extra helmet?
A heavy-set swordsman that wields a large sword with access to some magical spells. Ike sort of plays the part of a heavy-swordsman but I’ve always wanted to see a character that plays a little like Nightmare from SoulCalibur.

I really want Ganondorf to have his sword(s) and have wanted it since Melee.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also keep in mind that while moveset potential/being unique is nice, this fighting game is different from others in the sense that people want characters in because of their parent series and personality.

If a character similar to Wolf exists in Street Fighter then nobody would be really clamoring for his return, but people who love Star Fox will obviously want him as do people who gave him a chance in Brawl to stand out.

I'll always be character over potential because it's a Nintendo celebration. Some of the characters I want would be bland in terms potential but I don't care. It's what they represent in their series that matters.

I don't play Fire Emblem but I actually understand and prefer Lucina over Corrin. She was one of the main protagonists in the series' biggest title and remains a popular character to this day. She, to me, is a Nintendo All-Star. Corrin on the other hand doesn't feel that way and thus sticks out like a sore thumb.

And there's Roy who got in due to Smash nostalgia when the roster was small enough to appreciate everyone in the game. With a roster of nearly 60 characters on the other hand it gets difficult to get attached to a character, especially at an older age.

tl;dr: I'm somewhat old.
To be honest I think Roy and Wolf actually in a weird position. Wolf is more unique in moveset wise but people seems to be more interested in Roy's personality.

I have very little interest in playing as both of them but I think they really have interesting characters that they can really show off in Smash so I'd want to see them together. I'm somewhat emotional.

Also agreed about Lucina and Corrin.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A heavy-set swordsman that wields a large sword with access to some magical spells. Ike sort of plays the part of a heavy-swordsman but I’ve always wanted to see a character that plays a little like Nightmare from SoulCalibur.

I really want Ganondorf to have his sword(s) and have wanted it since Melee.
The trident would be Ganondorf's other option, especially if Ganon gets the Final Smash treatment again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom