• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Give people some time to find a way to break the game with them a third time.
No kidding, every time I see one of them lab out some unnecessarily complex combo, I start shaking, but then I never see it happen anywhere else. We won't be safe for long...

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I get that this thread is centered around SSBU DLC speculation, but man the Smash community is weird
I guess I need to do more RESEARCH, maybe even years worth
Don’t confuse the greater Smash community with this
..... rabble ....

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just added up the absolute must buy games I have to get this year (so far, who know's what they'll announce...), it's looking like.

Pokemon Gen 8 (Both Versions)-120$
Animal Crossing-60$
Fighter's Pass-25$
Hypothetical Persona 5 Switch port (please Atlus)-60$
FE Three Houses-60$

Plus tax, that's 347 bucks. That's not even counting games that haven't been announced yet, and games that I don't absolutely need but still look fun like Luigi's Mansion 3 and Crafted World.

I'm sure i'll find a way, I always do. But man, i'm gonna need some money. Too many good games this year :laugh:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
If we do get Doomguy, I just want him eviscerating Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Kirby and proceeding to brutally slaughter the rest of the cast in gruesome fashion.

He then walks away and a blast ignites behind; sending chunks of Mewtwo, Pac-Man, Greninja, and ROB raining down as he walks towards the screen...

The video then cuts to Sakurai with a face of disgust and horror as he stares blankly at the screen. Just complete silence.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Remember when Sakurai said he bought an action figure with a gun to use it as a reference for Smash?

I wonder what it was actually used for.
elma gang rise up

twas probably an item or something for an assist or maybe sakurai just wanted to show off a cool mech he bought idfk

5chan.

It's Japanese 4chan, where "leaks" are a lot less common, and where real leaks would reasonably be more likely given that most of the work for Smash Ultimate takes place there.
Seems like the now infamous 5chan ''leak'' (the one with Erdrick, Doomguy, Steve and Hayabusa) might be originating from reddit after all?

Here's some pieces of the conversation about it from earlier today (Ayumi is the user that brought the ''leak'' to our attention in the first place):

Mega Quote:
Not sure if this means anything, but it might be worth taking a look.

I was looking back at the Ryu/Steve/Doomguy "leak", and there's a section in the post before all the "leak" details that I noticed when I translated the page (so it's a rough translation, be warned):

Original:
海外でリーク出てたらしいな
ジョーカー前は誰も信じてなかったみたいだが

Translation (Google Translate):
I wish I should have got leaked abroad
Nobody believed it before Joker

Google Translate obviously isn't reliable, so is saying he leaked this information beforehand, but wasn't believed because of Joker? Or is he trying to say he wishes that he had posted on a Western site (i.e. 4chan), where there would be a greater chance that people would believe him?

Hey Ayumi Tachibana , would be willing to check this out? Thanks for the translations btw.
Interesting.
The Doom leak text I used to translate and copy pasted was not the actual original but edited one. I should’ve check the original thread. My bad.

The part deleted is saying, “Looks like there was a leak overseas. Nobody believed it before Joker though”.
Then the leak part comes. This part is the same.

After the post somebody asked him where did you get this leak and he answered “reddit”.

Now if this guy was saying the truth then the Doom leak was originated from reddit overseas and he brought it to 5chan.
Or he was completely lying to make his “leak” a little convincing. I mean hey leaks always come from the west you know.

You can also interpret that he was referring to another leak. The part was just a reply to the OP.
But I don’t know. It has always been but something is very fishy to me.
Do you know if that comment about reddit and the regular leak post have the same ID? I think that should make things more clear.
They do have the same ID.
I said someone asked him but actually the leaker posted saying “the source is on reddit” right after. Listing format difference.
Does the guy mention where he heard about Steve, Ryu and Erdrick from? Or is Doom Guy the only odd source?
Oh.
No he didn't mention anything specific.
He just said it was on reddit without giving out the url.
Here's the starting point of the conversation if anyone wants to look into it:
https://smashboards.com/threads/spo...support-threads.464600/page-164#post-22896404

Just wanted to relay the info. My work here is done!

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I just added up the absolute must buy games I have to get this year (so far, who know's what they'll announce...), it's looking like.

Animal Crossing-60$
Fighter's Pass-25$
FE Three Houses-60$

Plus tax, that's 347 bucks. That's not even counting games that haven't been announced yet, and games that I don't absolutely need but still look fun like Luigi's Mansion 3 and Crafted World.

I'm sure i'll find a way, I always do. But man, i'm gonna need some money. Too many good games this year :laugh:
Oh god the money. For me it’s Kingdom Hearts 3, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Luigi’s Mansion 3, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

But if Persona 5 for Switch, SMT V, Bayonetta 3, or Metroid Prime 4 or The Prime Trilogy get announced than hoo boy

D

Deleted member

Just had someone refer to Young Ike as "yike" and I honestly have never wanted to smack someone more.
imagine being so unintellectual as to not use chad muscle ike

*sobs in no purple alt*

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Animal Crossing-60$
Fighter's Pass-25$
FE Three Houses-60$

Pokemon 8
Dragon Quest 11 S
Bloodstained

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Seems like the now infamous 5chan ''leak'' (the one with Erdrick, Doomguy, Steve and Hayabusa) might be originating from reddit after all?

Here's some pieces of the conversation about it from earlier today (Ayumi is the user that brought the ''leak'' to our attention in the first place):

Mega Quote:

Here's the starting point of the conversation if anyone wants to look into it:
https://smashboards.com/threads/spo...support-threads.464600/page-164#post-22896404

Just wanted to relay the info. My work here is done!
So is this a good reason to believe it or doubt it?

s07195

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4502 0980 9128
One thing I will say though is I don’t get the mentality of “oh this leak is real I might as well stop hoping for my most wanted”. Like, you have pretty much nothing to lose by holding out hope. Sure, Banjo for example might not be in this pass, and there might only be one pass, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong for hoping he comes later. Keep hoping my guys.
Sure, but you know, keeping expectations low makes for less disappointment.

Regarding Doomguy, is he really that popular? Growing up in Asia in the 90s/00s doesnt give me much perspective or recognition of the guy. I'm pretty sure Doom would've been restricted to 18+ back then in HK anyway. Asia in general is way more conservative in this way, much like Japan.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Sure, but you know, keeping expectations low makes for less disappointment.

Regarding Doomguy, is he really that popular? Growing up in Asia in the 90s/00s doesnt give me much perspective or recognition of the guy. I'm pretty sure Doom would've been restricted to 18+ back then in HK anyway. Asia in general is way more conservative in this way, much like Japan.
Maybe not crazy popular in Japan, but his appeal is definitely a lot more massive about everywhere else. He's still popular, but the extent really depends on where you look.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Cult following in Japan, mainstream in the west.

s07195

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4502 0980 9128
Cult following in Japan, mainstream in the west.
Ah okay, gotcha.

Anyways, us HK/Taiwan gamers of my age grew up on a lot of flash games and Japanese games (exclusively following guides to complete them) so "Japanese pandering" really applies to us too.

...We're ignored/forgotten about a lot.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I love how the Grinch leak attracted a bunch of ******** to the site...

And then they left as soon as it was gone.
I remember teasing the whole issue, being hopeful that it was real, but also fully prepared for the worst. I tried convincing other people to lower their expectations just in case, but a lot of them kept insisting on picking a side. In the end, the Direct split the fanbase pretty badly. That's what people get for getting too overconfident.

Even then, most of the people who joined during the Grinch hoax mellowed out and are pretty chill now.

Most.
Not to play the Holier Than Thou card, but I wanted the leak to be real because I have a couple of close friends who were pining for those characters. Meanwhile, there are people who are actually celebrating that others didn't get their character, purely out of spite. For those who do it unironically, real mature.

None of them were my Most-Wanted characters either. To say my pals were crushed is an understatement, but on the bright side, we like Incineroar just fine and there's DLC to look forward to as well. Hmm, on second thought, I guess you could say Rex's exclusion was the one thing that got to me. ARMS fans got it pretty bad too.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Indeed, I hope Fox is as good as some players currently are/were saying, I genuinely like Fox
Fox is strong in ultimate but I don't think he'll be the best, and he'll probably struggle to be in top 5, maybe top 10, because his disadvantage is so bad. While Fox has excellent neutral and stellar advantage states, once he's hit he's done. Fox has always been a balancing act because of this because his flawless play is so oppressively fast and threatening, but once he gets hit he's either taking a million percent or dying for it.

In Sm4sh, the characters above him all had get out of jail free cards meanwhile Fox would die almost immediately if he screwed up anything. This is true for the other spacies as well, but Fox is the most exacerbated case.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I ran into a lag-switching Pichu earlier, and an Inkling. I won both games with Ike, and I was at my last stock at 200% in the Inkling MU. Dunno how the hell I came back from it either.
Inkling has a tough time killing if you manage to avoid their up air. I survived to a crazy 200+ percent with my Charizard recently and managed to get an 80% stock lead before they finally secured the kill. I think a part of that though was that they were too scared to play too aggressively against me and didn't always go for uairs when they had the chance, instead opting to overdepend on splat bomb pressure.

D

Deleted member

Animal Crossing-60$
Fighter's Pass-25$
FE Three Houses-60$

Well, I dunno how much money I'll spend on them, but these are the games I'm looking forward to this year:
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Doom Eternal
  • Grandblue Fantasy Versus
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Sekkrio Shadows Die Twice
  • Nioh 2
Speaking of SMT V, I laugh at those that think the series is dead because of Apocalypse or some other reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Well, I dunno how much money I'll spend on them, but these are the games I'm looking forward to this year:
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Doom Eternal
  • Grandblue Fantasy Versus
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Sekkrio Shadows Die Twice
  • Nioh 2
Speaking of SMT V, I laugh at those that think the series is dead because of Apocalypse or some other reason.
I'm pretty much thinking of getting every 1st party Switch title this year. Crafted World is top priority though :yoshi:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Why do some people host a 'glorious smashers' battle arena, but play like they've never touched a Smash Brothers game before

I might as well ignore those tags

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man, I wish Shin Megami Tensei had a proper fourm for discussion like we do. The only place I know of where I can do that is Reddit, and well....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom