• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
not for the last few ****ing months though?? like the only reason sora discussion started up again is because of the square enix rep, are you people really that delusional that sora is BOTH a square enix rep and a ****ing disney rep???

what is happening??? am i going insane???
If you're suggesting it, then I think you are going insane.

You are correct that Sora discussion spiked because of Square Enix speculation. However, as speculators such as myself and Nekoo Nekoo have pointed out, Sora is owned by Disney, and most, if not all of the negotiating for Sora would take place between Disney and Nintendo and not Square Enix. So, while he isn't the Square Enix character, he could still be in because he's not even owned by Square Enix.

Regardless, he has his own problems barring him from inclusion, but it's not as unlikely as a second Square Enix character at this point.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Screw Sora, Stitch should be our Disney rep.
You joke but 10-year-old me would have killed to have Stitch on Smash. Legitimate pipedream character of mine, along with Aang and Grunkle Stan.

Actually you know what they should just go and make an Avatar fighting game. There's tons of potential there.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So if there was a season 2 of DLC. Would they go for 5 more 3rd party characters from iconic series like what the currently DLC is speculated to be? Or would they toss in a 1st party character or two even if they were a spirit.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

You are correct that Sora discussion spiked because of Square Enix speculation. However, as speculators such as myself and Nekoo Nekoo have pointed out, Sora is owned by Disney, and most, if not all of the negotiating for Sora would take place between Disney and Nintendo and not Square Enix. So, while he isn't the Square Enix character, he could still be in because he's not even owned by Square Enix.
You just made me realize that Sora is Nintendo's answer to Geno.
Nintendo can't use Geno without permission from Square Enix.
Square Enix can't use Sora without permission from Disney.

Makes you think. :drohmy:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Don't worry, take as many jabs as you want.. so here goes..
Well, that's your opinion.. which seems based on your own experience, so is mine. Difference is, one of us got more exposed to Goemon.. and out of the west desires. I think you're taking Goemon a bit lightly here. I do sincerely believe he's too good for an AT. The rest you've mentioned were all either small fries or sidekicks compared to Goemon [ Isaac (only two games). Bomberman, Adventure Island (Hudson's). Zero, Knuckles, Shadow, Alucard, Grey Fox (sidekicks). Contra (Guns and not Konami's biggest), Silent Hill (Fatal Frame answered), Suikoden (RPG with no clear protag), Zone of the Enders (not applicable).. etc.]. You do know that Goemon was for a long period of Konami's history their mascot, and has 35+ games (52+ if we count ports and spin-offs, and that's not counting cameos either). Not small by any means. Few, just few game characters have that many games under their belt... and still demanded, albeit not that clear in US.

If you've been big on 64 and don't remember Goemon, that doesn't take much of how big he is. Like in those days you'd find people who say Dragon Ball wasn't big because they've never heard of it.. yet when it got out (very much later) it got sky high popular, and acknowledged finally. I'll add, his popularity started in the SNES era (Kid Ying).. got really good 64 days however. Being popular in the west is a plus, not a necessity. And I think that was answered already by Ridley and K.Rool. (main roster). Persona however (DLC) says otherwise.

Spirit XD, well it's your opinion. He's not however. As I said, too good.
Yeah well west players said that about many characters.. including Ness and Captain Falcon for example.
I'm sure if you knew more about him you'd swear that there's no more deserving charterer, but eh.. none of us know, and any of us can be wrong. It takes 4-3 DLC reveals to give us an answer.. let's see what the Jan Direct say :)
Goemon would be lucky to be a spirit.

Also lmao at Persona not being popular in the West

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Goemon would be lucky to be a spirit.

Also lmao at Persona not being popular in the West
Goemon would be lucky to be acknowledged by its company considering its last game was a goddamn pachislot in 2011.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ooh, new poll option? Neato.

Option 2 for me for sure. This Smash is my new favorite in the series (and possibly even my new favorite game period), but hiccups with online are extremely disappointing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
i just feel bad for goemon. the games are good to great and he gets no recognition
I just have higher priorities and likes. Though yeah, it might help if his series gets revived. At the moment, the closest activity it has is the Yugioh-related cards.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You know, after thinking about it, I think we are missing one important thing in Smash Bros.

We have no characters from the horror genre.

Now, we have an assist trophy in Yuri, but I think there is one series that is a genre icon, shaped gaming history and is loved around the world that hasn't been included at all.

Resident Evil

The characters are incredibly iconic and it would provide a fantastic oppurtunity for a genre not yet represented in Smash.
Or you could go with Alex Roivas from Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem. A first party character from a game that desperately needs more love.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
> rep talk

Do any of you remember the one time somebody claimed that a particular character was “legally” a “rep” of a particular company?

I get it’s shorthand for “character representing that series” but it’s a fan concept. I would bet that the concept of “reps” the way the speculation community views it is in no way, shape or form considered by Sakurai.

Sora for Smash!

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
not for the last few ****ing months though?? like the only reason sora discussion started up again is because of the square enix rep, are you people really that delusional that sora is BOTH a square enix rep and a ****ing disney rep???

what is happening??? am i going insane???
To be fair, argument #1 against his inclusion as a SE rep was Disney.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So if there was a season 2 of DLC. Would they go for 5 more 3rd party characters from iconic series like what the currently DLC is speculated to be? Or would they toss in a 1st party character or two even if they were a spirit.
If there's a second season of DLC Waluigi will be in.

So there's at least one Nintendo character.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Regardless, he has his own problems barring him from inclusion, but it's not as unlikely as a second Square Enix character at this point.
It is possible for him to be the 5th and final DLC for wave 1(it would be fitting if it was him). Or in Wave 2 if DLC has continued support.

So with the rumored Direct in January, what does everyone expect to be in it. Here's my guesses:

OBVIOUS GUESSES:

-Fire Emblem: Three Houses
-Smash Bros Joker Details and Piranha Plant/Balance Patch #1 release date
-Tales of Vesperia(if it's before the 11th)

MAYBE:

-Metroid Prime 4
-Animal Crossing Switch
-Luigi's Mansion 3

HOPEFUL WISHING

-Tales of Symphonia port
-Tales 17th Game
-Anything Moter realted for the 30th anniversary

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So I've been saying that I would deliver for like, a week now. Here's a prospective DLC roster! Or, at least one I would be mega-hype for.

Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 12.11.17 AM.png

We have Joker, Erdrick, Leon, and Lloyd Irving as the first 4 DLC characters in the Fighter Pass. I left the final space as a Wild card, because I frankly have no good idea of who could be added after all of this.

I'm still relatively confident in somebody from Namco, and somebody from Capcom though. Both companies have far too many reputable series to not dig into them. If Heihachi isn't getting in, the Tales series is another big name series from the company. Lloyd was the one character to get that Mii costume, and while he could get the same treatment I would love to see him be playable. Resident Evil is one series that has grown across media, spawning not only games, but movies as well. Leon has Resident Evil 4 on GameCube and Wii, which makes him himself a relatively "Nintendo" for those of you who are sticklers for that. He's also one of the stars of the upcoming Resident Evil 2 remake, which is seemingly well regarded for the original version by gaming fans everywhere.

As I said, I think the final pick is a wild card, but I do believe it won't be certain characters. That said, I will let the imagination run wild with this for those of you who, perhaps, dislike the choices I made for this roster. I personally would be 1000% satisfied, and despite Rex not being playable himself, I would probably never ask for anything ever again for Smash.

Well, maybe that one extra stage to complete the stage select screen.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm really hoping they shift the focus back to Nintendo characters in a Season 2. Personally, 3rd Party Fatigue is really starting to settle in with me. Also, it would be nice to see some more obscure characters get their time in the sun.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So I've been saying that I would deliver for like, a week now. Here's a prospective DLC roster! Or, at least one I would be mega-hype for.

View attachment 185764
We have Joker, Erdrick, Leon, and Lloyd Irving as the first 4 DLC characters in the Fighter Pass. I left the final space as a Wild card, because I frankly have no good idea of who could be added after all of this.

I'm still relatively confident in somebody from Namco, and somebody from Capcom though. Both companies have far too many reputable series to not dig into them. If Heihachi isn't getting in, the Tales series is another big name series from the company. Lloyd was the one character to get that Mii costume, and while he could get the same treatment I would love to see him be playable. Resident Evil is one series that has grown across media, spawning not only games, but movies as well. Leon has Resident Evil 4 on GameCube and Wii, which makes him himself a relatively "Nintendo" for those of you who are sticklers for that. He's also one of the stars of the upcoming Resident Evil 2 remake, which is seemingly well regarded for the original version by gaming fans everywhere.

As I said, I think the final pick is a wild card, but I do believe it won't be certain characters. That said, I will let the imagination run wild with this for those of you who, perhaps, dislike the choices I made for this roster. I personally would be 1000% satisfied, and despite Rex not being playable himself, I would probably never ask for anything ever again for Smash.

ok but where's minecraft steve

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I speculate that if we do get a second season pass... If we don't get any western owned IP in the first pass, i'll be very surprised if the second one isn't almost entirely dedicated to Western companies.

But if the Japan only trend continues... Idk maybe a focus on series that came around mid 90's like Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Tekken, Soul Calibur.

Maybe even an entirely Nintendo based pass for the second pass.

Could speculate for days, but too early to tell because I don't even truly know the contents of the first pass.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

View attachment 185764

Make that wildcard Minecraft Steve and I'd believe it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Probably 2 3rd parties and 3 1st parties.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Make that wildcard Minecraft Steve and I'd believe it.
Buzz off, I'm the only person here who can do the mocking because I've been advocating for Steve since the beginning. :062: dont make me throw hands

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm really hoping they shift the focus back to Nintendo characters in a Season 2. Personally, 3rd Party Fatigue is really starting to settle in with me. Also, it would be nice to see some more obscure characters get their time in the sun.
Considering we got :ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultridley: in the base roster, I heavily doubt we'll get any "more obscure" characters regardless of how many third parties we get.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I know this has practically no chance of happening, but if Pack 1 is all 3rd parties, Pack 2 being all 1st parties would be nice. It would have the potential to round out the roster.

Bandana Dee
Waluigi
Dixie Kong/Kamek
Grovyle
Rex

I'd say that would make the game's roster mostly complete.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Buzz off, I'm the only person here who can do the mocking because I've been advocating for Steve since the beginning. :062:dont make me throw hands
>Is literally about to post an essay arguing why Steve is likely for Smash Bros.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I know this has practically no chance of happening, but if Pack 1 is all 3rd parties, Pack 2 being all 1st parties would be nice. It would have the potential to round out the roster.

Bandana Dee
Waluigi
Dixie Kong/Kamek
Grovyle
Rex

>Grovyle

We can only hope man. Unfortunately, that one's incredibly out there.

Here's what I'd imagine Seasons 1 and 2 maybe looking like:
Season 1:
  • Joker
  • Erdrick
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Leon Kennedy
  • Steve
Season 2:
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Waluigi
  • Euden/Promotional Nintendo Character
  • Third Party 1
  • Third Party 2
Third parties could be anyone ranging from Geno, Sora, Doom Guy, Ryu Hayabusa, Phoenix Wright, Banjo & Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, Tracer, Katalina/Gran, etc.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Bandana Dee
Waluigi
Dixie Kong/Kamek
Grovyle
Rex

I would hate this because i'd lose my ability to drink tears of these support groups.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I'd like to think we'd get some more Nintendo characters with a second pass. I agree with DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon that if we get a second pass Waluigi will no doubt be on it, so at least there's him.

fingers crossed for more AT promotions though

View attachment 185764

Would be a really good pass just with those characters. I agree with your thinking that there'll be another Capcom and Namco rep as well, hell I even agree with the Capcom rep you suggested. I'm personally leaning more towards Solaire for the Bamco rep, although I do think Lloyd is a possibility.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom