• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I wonder if Steve was pushed back due to the divisiveness of having Minecraft in the game. Those who want Minecraft content can buy Steve, those who don't need not buy the DLC.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I wonder if Steve was pushed back due to the divisiveness of having Minecraft in the game. Those who want Minecraft content can buy Steve, those who don't need not buy the DLC.
I'd assume if he was pushed back, it would've been Microsoft's call, not Nintendo's or Sakurai's...

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'd assume if he was pushed back, it would be Microsoft's call on whether or not to do so...
I guess it could be on the part of Microsoft. I remember reading that Square wanted Cloud to be pushed back to DLC but backed down, so (if that's true) it's not a totally out there idea that a company would want their character to be DLC. Then again, Microsoft seems to be slightly less greedy than Square, so that's a factor.

There's also the issue of the massive language barrier involved in Steve's inclusion. Talks to have Steve in the game would be between the Japanese Sakurai, English-speaking Microsoft reps, and the Swedish creators at Mojang. That could realistically have an impact on how long it takes him to get in the game.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77363126?jumpto=53#53
So, now that Sora got deconfirmed by Vergeben himself, I think it's smart to say that Slime is our SE rep.
Slime definately isn't impossible.
My personal opinion (for whatever that's worth) is that Slime is unlikely in comparison to a DQ Hero. My reasoning is in Dragon Quest, monsters are often times recruited and used in tandem with your own abilities, so they're sort of apart of your heroes bag of tricks and abilities. I imagine Slime being incorporated into a DQ Hero move pool.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I imagine it's possible for Namco to get a second character in Smash for the DLC.

I used to believe Tekken or Tales were a safe bet because of Smash 4 Mii costumes and Sakurai's interview piece regarding Heihachi.

But ever since the game awards, I'm not confident in those characters at all.

I'm sorta feeling Nightmare from Soul Calibur as a strong possibility for a hypothetical Bamco spot.

A perfect timeline for me would be Agumon though.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I think Erdrick or Geno would honestly be the best choices for a new Square Character.
Erdrick for Dragon Quest representation, and Geno to please Smash fans.

Now for two others ...
I'm going to be killed now, but please remember that I don't fancy either of them in particular regarding Smash DLC;
I would be more accepting of Steve from Minecraft over Sora from Kingdom Hearts.

What's even more funny is that I really love Kingdom Hearts, but I've never played Minecraft.
I just think the other character is more suitable because of Minecraft's influence, the connection with Microsoft for Nintendo, and the fact that he is an icon in and of its own.

Do I like Steve as a character? Not at all.
Do I like Sora as a character? I actually think the keyblade is pretty cool, but Sora as a character I think is pretty bland, JRPG style.

Then why the hell would I be more welcome of Steve you might ask?
Well ... While the roster is perfect as it is, and ANYTHING coming next would just be cherry on top. I think out of the "big" games/series out there with iconic characters/concepts not yet represented in Smash, I think Steve would be a more unique fighter, and a more recognizable fighter altogether.

Would I be unaccepting if Sora happened? Not at all. I'm a Kingdom Hearts fan. I also liked him in Super Smash Flash 2.

I think the statement is so controversal for some people that I had to actually write this long for defusing my own opinion lol

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77363126?jumpto=53#53
So, now that Sora got deconfirmed by Vergeben himself, I think it's smart to say that Slime is our SE rep.
1) Sora isn't Square-Enix, so he wouldn't be a SE rep.
2) Erdrick is more likely than Slime.
3) Just because Verge got some things right does not mean he knows everything, he never claimed K. Rool or Richter, didn't know Incineroar by name, and outside of some leaks, we still have no Minecraft content.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think Erdrick or Geno would honestly be the best choices for a new Square Character.
Erdrick for Dragon Quest representation, and Geno to please Smash fans.

Now for two others ...
I'm going to be killed now, but please remember that I don't fancy either of them in particular regarding Smash DLC;
I would be more accepting of Steve from Minecraft over Sora from Kingdom Hearts.

What's even more funny is that I really love Kingdom Hearts, but I've never played Minecraft.
I just think the other character is more suitable because of Minecraft's influence, the connection with Microsoft for Nintendo, and the fact that he is an icon in and of its own.

Do I like Steve as a character? Not at all.
Do I like Sora as a character? I actually think the keyblade is pretty cool, but Sora as a character I think is pretty bland, JRPG style.

Then why the hell would I be more welcome of Steve you might ask?
Well ... While the roster is perfect as it is, and ANYTHING coming next would just be cherry on top. I think out of the "big" games/series out there with iconic characters/concepts not yet represented in Smash, I think Steve would be a more unique fighter, and a more recognizable fighter altogether.

Would I be unaccepting if Sora happened? Not at all. I'm a Kingdom Hearts fan. I also liked him in Super Smash Flash 2.

I think the statement is so controversal for some people that I had to actually write this long for defusing my own opinion lol
>Would like Steve better than Sora

BURN THE NONBELIEVER! BRIMSTONE FOR THEE!

Nah. That's not even the hottest take I've seen here lol.

I've resigned myself to Sora's fate anyways. I'll take Joker and be happy.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
gjhkhh weren't you people arguing that sora was the square enix rep only a little awhile ago??? and now you're saying that he's not square enix??????? how exactly does that help his chances?????????

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don't wanna start a war or anything, but daisy is one of the best girls ;0
That’s only gonna start some love
I love her but I do wish they differentiated her a bit more from Peach
I don’t...using Daisy only makes Peach more and more obsolete as the days go by

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
No character is 'too good' to be an Assist Trophy though. I mean, Isaac, Bomberman, Zero, Knuckles, Shadow, and Alucard are all Assist Trophies and they are all popular, beloved characters that many would say are 'deserving' of being playable.. Raiden didn't come with Snake though, that's Grey Fox, from the first Metal Gear Solid.
Fatal Frame got an Assist Trophy for two main reasons.
1) Not much combat potential in a camera.
2) Nintendo half-owns the entire series from some point onwards.
Bomberman is clearly more popular world-wide then Goemon, again, no offense, yet Bomberman was made an Assist Trophy. I don't think Bomberman would be any more or less 'good' then Goemon in regards to being an Assist Trophy or Playable Character.

In regards to being popular enough in the West..not really, I'd say he was more niche. I mean, I was big into the Nintendo 64 and I barely remember Goemon unless I see his design (which is very distinct and unique, I will say)..and I remember Glover for crying out loud. Its a Cult Classic if anything. I didn't even know that a GameBoy game released at the same time.
And then in regards to not having any popular Konami series left, I'd disagree since we still have Contra, Silent Hill, Suikoden, Zone of the Enders, and Adventure Island, all of which have seen more success in the West then Goemon did.

Would Goemon be a unique and fun fighter? Oh, yes, absolutely. Will he appear as anything more then maybe a Spirit? No, probably not..not when they could add a more popular character from a new or existing series from Konami like the ones listed above or Raiden from Metal Gear or, more likely, another developer entirely since Konami already has 3 characters in the game so I could see them wanting to pick from a different 3rd Party dev with more popular series to include Namco Bandai (Tekken, Tales of), Disney (Kingdom Hearts), Square-Enix (Dragon Quest, NieR, Chrono Trigger), Microsoft (Minecraft, Banjo-Kazooie), Activision (Crash Bandicoot, Spyro), etc.

I just feel that given all of that, Goemon's chances seem much more slim since, for most Western players, he would be a 'literally who' and 'literally what' in regards to his character and series respectively.
Don't worry, take as many jabs as you want.. so here goes..
Well, that's your opinion.. which seems based on your own experience, so is mine. Difference is, one of us got more exposed to Goemon.. and out of the west desires. I think you're taking Goemon a bit lightly here. I do sincerely believe he's too good for an AT. The rest you've mentioned were all either small fries or sidekicks compared to Goemon [ Isaac (only two games). Bomberman, Adventure Island (Hudson's). Zero, Knuckles, Shadow, Alucard, Grey Fox (sidekicks). Contra (Guns and not Konami's biggest), Silent Hill (Fatal Frame answered), Suikoden (RPG with no clear protag), Zone of the Enders (not applicable).. etc.]. You do know that Goemon was for a long period of Konami's history their mascot, and has 35+ games (52+ if we count ports and spin-offs, and that's not counting cameos either). Not small by any means. Few, just few game characters have that many games under their belt... and still demanded, albeit not that clear in US.

If you've been big on 64 and don't remember Goemon, that doesn't take much of how big he is. Like in those days you'd find people who say Dragon Ball wasn't big because they've never heard of it.. yet when it got out (very much later) it got sky high popular, and acknowledged finally. I'll add, his popularity started in the SNES era (Kid Ying).. got really good 64 days however. Being popular in the west is a plus, not a necessity. And I think that was answered already by Ridley and K.Rool. (main roster). Persona however (DLC) says otherwise.

Spirit XD, well it's your opinion. He's not however. As I said, too good.
Yeah well west players said that about many characters.. including Ness and Captain Falcon for example.
I'm sure if you knew more about him you'd swear that there's no more deserving charterer, but eh.. none of us know, and any of us can be wrong. It takes 4-3 DLC reveals to give us an answer.. let's see what the Jan Direct say :)

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Remember when Sakurai said he bought an action figure with a gun to use it as a reference for Smash?

I wonder what it was actually used for.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
gjhkhh weren't you people arguing that sora was the square enix rep only a little awhile ago??? and now you're saying that he's not square enix??????? how exactly does that help his chances?????????
I guess people have argued for Sora being the Square Enix character out of the list of 7, but he's not even owned by Square Enix, so he's not a Square Enix character. Even if he's not the character, he still has a chance because he's owned by Disney.

I'd give him good chances for a second DLC pack, or even an Ultimate fan ballot.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Remember when Sakurai said he bought an action figure with a gun to use it as a reference for Smash?

I wonder what it was actually used for.
The action figurine with the specific weapon?

Surely must have been for King K. Rool's Blunderbuss my boi.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
it doesnt look like the blunderbuss at all
I think the joke flew over ya head me lad.

Honestly, it could be for anything. Maybe the far away staff item? It would make sense. Maybe for a future DLC?
Scrapped ideas? You never know.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Yes, that's fine, did not know the name of the item, but I can imagine that the item's way of holding to different structured characters could be used for that figurine. Idk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom