• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Why do some people host a 'glorious smashers' battle arena, but play like they've never touched a Smash Brothers game before

I might as well ignore those tags
Occam's Razor: People who indeed never touched a Smash Bros. game before.

Either that, or they forgot about "For Glory" in Smash for Wii U/3DS and misuse the tag to describe their arena like some fantastic magic-land.

D

Deleted member

Why do some people host a 'glorious smashers' battle arena, but play like they've never touched a Smash Brothers game before

I might as well ignore those tags
I hosted an arena named ‘Glorious Land’ once, but that was an in-joke.
Was that aimed at me?
Don’t take this the wrong way, I’m just curious. :)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If Joker's final smash is anything but All Out Attack I call shenagians. I need my other Phantom Thieves babies in Smash Brothers.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If Joker's final smash is anything but All Out Attack I call shenagians. I need my other Phantom Thieves babies in Smash Brothers.
It'll be him turning into a normal high schooler and answering a school question, and does a fist pump if you get it right. If you get it wrong, you're automatically KO'd. 200 possible questions and 500-600 answers to choose from.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It'll be him turning into a normal high schooler and answering a school question, and does a fist pump if you get it right. If you get it wrong, you're automatically KO'd. 200 possible questions and 500-600 answers to choose from.
No joke the first time that happened to me in my playthrough I was like ''The **** I don't want to go back to school and answer questions. I'm an old man. I ain't got time for entertainment making me feel stupid."

Then I realized ''Wait, Google can just solve this **** for me."

Cheating on school work as an adult for a fictional high schooler like a champ.

D

Deleted member

I'd take the "Godzilla-With-A-Gun" as a Final Smash too. That'd be cool.
Also, is Persona 5 the only Atlus game you've played? Not trying to be a ****, just asking.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Can I just say that :ultdiddy: and :ultlittlemac: got horribly nerfed in this game?

I mean if they were broken in 4, that’s understandable but god, they’re not good characters this time around.

Granted, Diddy’s FS is much better but his recovery is absolute garbage.

-Little Mac is a lot weaker too and his KO move is less precise then before, I figured they helped his recovery by using both Up and Side B but frankly it doesn’t do any favors.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd take the "Godzilla-With-A-Gun" as a Final Smash too. That'd be cool.
Also, is Persona 5 the only Atlus game you've played? Not trying to be a ****, just asking.
It is. I've just never gotten around to any of their series before. Persona is honestly the only one that has ever appealed to me from a far as well.

They make a lot of quality games I'm sure (and Persona 5 proves that), I've just never been drawn to much of the content they put out.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I hosted an arena named ‘Glorious Land’ once, but that was an in-joke.
Was that aimed at me?
Don’t take this the wrong way, I’m just curious. :)
Nah

I don't mean the name of the arena

I mean the arena type like 'glorious smashers', 'playground' and 'anything goes'

D

Deleted member

It is. I've just never gotten around to any of their series before. Persona is honestly the only one that has ever appealed to me from a far as well.

They make a lot of quality games I'm sure (and Persona 5 proves that), I've just never been drawn to much of the content they put out.
Ah. I see. Well, I've played pretty much all of the mainline SMT titles, both Devil Survior games, both Digital Devil Saga games, and Personas 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Out of all of them, my favorite is Shin Megami Tensei IV. Strange Journey, Nocturne, and the Digital Devil Saga games are awesome too.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ah. I see. Well, I've played pretty much all of the mainline SMT titles, both Devil Survior games, both Digital Devil Saga games, and Personas 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Out of all of them, my favorite is Shin Megami Tensei IV. Strange Journey, Nocturne, and the Digital Devil Saga games are awesome too.
I must say now that I've started and gotten into Persona 5 I'm vaguely interested to see what Shing Megami Tensei is about since Persona spun out of it, but that might be way way way further down the road.

If nothing else they've at least gotten a new Persona fan out of me by Smash finally forcing me to get off my ass and finally give the series the shot I was putting off.

D

Deleted member

I must say now that I've started and gotten into Persona 5 I'm vaguely interested to see what Shing Megami Tensei is about since Persona spun out of it, but that might be way way way further down the road.

If nothing else they've at least gotten a new Persona fan out of me by Smash finally forcing me to get off my *** and finally give the series the shot I was putting off.
Word of advice if you do play an SMT title: They're nothing like Persona, in both story and gameplay.

Whereas Persona is more focused on character driven stories, Shin Megami Tensei largely deals with the philosophical conflict between the forces of Law and Chaos. So if you more into character based story telling, you might not get much out of SMT's writing. Persona is focused on you and you friends, and you all deal with the hardships of life together, while SMT focuses on you and the bigger picture, how you'll go about deciding what you think is truly best for the world.

Gameplay wise, SMT is much more difficult than Persona is as well. Not impossible even though Matador and The Minotar might make you think otherwise, but you definitely shouldn't go into them expecting a walk in the park.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Word of advice if you do play an SMT title: They're nothing like Persona, in both story and gameplay.

Whereas Persona is more focused on character driven stories, Shin Megami Tensei largely deals with the philosophical conflict between the forces of Law and Chaos. So if you more into character based story telling, you might not get much out of SMT's writing. Persona is focused on you and you friends, and you all deal with the hardships of life together, while SMT focuses on you and the bigger picture, how you'll go about deciding what you think is truly best for the world.

Gameplay wise, SMT is much more difficult than Persona is as well. Not impossible even though Matador and The Minotar might make you think otherwise, but you definitely shouldn't go into them expecting a walk in the park.
Does ATLUS even make easy RPGs? I feel like they started with Persona and Apocalypse but majority of them are hard as balls, including P3:FES.

Man, I wish Shin Megami Tensei had a proper fourm for discussion like we do. The only place I know of where I can do that is Reddit, and well....
I stopped looking into SMT forums after a few bad encounters. I want to discuss what Kamala Labyrinth represents, not why Persona is worse than SMT in every possible aspect. It's not exactly the most welcoming community.

D

Deleted member

Does ATLUS even make easy RPGs? I feel like they started with Persona and Apocalypse but majority of them are hard as balls, including P3:FES.
I heard Ertian Oddesy is pretty difficult too.

I stopped looking into SMT forums after a few bad encounters. I want to discuss what Kamala Labyrinth represents, not why Persona is worse than SMT in every possible aspect. It's not exactly the most welcoming community.
Welcome to how I felt when I visited the MegaTen subreddit. Still, wish an SMT fourm with decent human beings existed.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The obvious answer is that Shiftry is DLC.

:ultgreninja: Water/Dark
:ultincineroar: Fire/Dark
:ultshiftry: Grass/Dark

Plus we'd finally get a Hoenn Pokémon that isn't Pikachu Libre. It's just logical, really.
I'd unironically be hyped; I love Shiftry. Give me a Fortree City stage.
No, it'd be Nuzleaf for us to have some Nuzlocke representation

Atlus and easy RPGs are like warer and oil.

D

Deleted member

Ok.

Only one house left to visit. After that, i will have received all the gifts of this second day of Christmas.

At the moment, i got these gifts:

DBECA221-2FE9-4BD9-B11A-E387EB6AA382.jpeg

A14D04E4-FB72-4F5F-A0BB-A8B7FA390A10.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

No

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I heard Ertian Oddesy is pretty difficult too.
Nah, they're not that bad. It's a welcoming, beginner-friendly sort of difficulty. The sort that teaches you your place in the game and what it expects from you right from the start. Especially the first one on DS.

I'm only half-joking, the first one is the one with the bugged skill that reduces all the damage you take by 90% and stacks with other damage-reduction skills

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think Erdrick or Geno would honestly be the best choices for a new Square Character.
Erdrick for Dragon Quest representation, and Geno to please Smash fans.

Now for two others ...
I'm going to be killed now, but please remember that I don't fancy either of them in particular regarding Smash DLC;
I would be more accepting of Steve from Minecraft over Sora from Kingdom Hearts.

What's even more funny is that I really love Kingdom Hearts, but I've never played Minecraft.
I just think the other character is more suitable because of Minecraft's influence, the connection with Microsoft for Nintendo, and the fact that he is an icon in and of its own.

Do I like Steve as a character? Not at all.
Do I like Sora as a character? I actually think the keyblade is pretty cool, but Sora as a character I think is pretty bland, JRPG style.

Then why the hell would I be more welcome of Steve you might ask?
Well ... While the roster is perfect as it is, and ANYTHING coming next would just be cherry on top. I think out of the "big" games/series out there with iconic characters/concepts not yet represented in Smash, I think Steve would be a more unique fighter, and a more recognizable fighter altogether.

Would I be unaccepting if Sora happened? Not at all. I'm a Kingdom Hearts fan. I also liked him in Super Smash Flash 2.

I think the statement is so controversal for some people that I had to actually write this long for defusing my own opinion lol
Honestly, I have to disagree for a couple reasons.
Yes, Minecraft is an influential game, but Steve is not an influential character. A stage would be the ideal representation for Minecraft since its the world itself that is iconic, not the characters within it (aside from maybe Creeper).
Minecraft, while influential, is still only a single game, whenever they tried to expand on it it never really took off, I just don't see Minecraft having staying power, even if it has lasted this long. Its already starting to wane in its popularity since, well, everyone has played it now, there's not really anything new aside from what super fans do. Most of its fans have moved on to the next big thing (currently Fortnite)
Kingdom Hearts, on the other hand, has staying power and new entries that do about as well or better then its original release and, unlike Minecraft, people actually character about its characters.

Now for my opinion. Steve is ugly. Like, really ugly. I have never, ever liked the artstyle for the characters and creatures of Minecraft nor their extremely limited animation (most have only one or two animations, which, for player characters, is walking and swinging..that's it. No jump animation, no hurt animation, just walking and swinging) and, honesty, with how much attention to detail Sakurai likes to include and how he likes to keep characters feeling like they do in their home series, I could see him keeping Steve with only these two animations, making the character the most boring character in the game to watch regardless of whatever his moveset may be.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yes, Minecraft is an influential game, but Steve is not an influential character. A stage would be the ideal representation for Minecraft since its the world itself that is iconic, not the characters within it (aside from maybe Creeper).
This "X character is not influential/iconic" argument is pretty weak and only good for gate keeping.

I could see him keeping Steve with only these two animations
I can't. That's ridiculous, you can't make a Smash character with 2 animations.

Minecraft, while influential, is still only a single game, whenever they tried to expand on it it never really took off, I just don't see Minecraft having staying power, even if it has lasted this long. Its already starting to wane in its popularity since, well, everyone has played it now, there's not really anything new aside from what super fans do. Most of its fans have moved on to the next big thing (currently Fortnite)
Kingdom Hearts, on the other hand, has staying power and new entries that do about as well or better then its original release and, unlike Minecraft, people actually character about its characters.
It's been going for, uh, almost ten years now. I think we can safely say it at least had staying power, like PAC-MAN.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
OPINION: Master Chief would be a better Microsoft rep than either Banjo or Steve.
  • Minecraft wasn't developed by Microsoft at all, just bought by them years into its lifetime.
  • The same applies for Banjo and Kazooie.
  • The B&J franchise hasn't gotten a game in over a decade, I doubt Nintendo's target audience really knows who they are.
  • Master Chief is the face of Microsoft, after all and would be the best crossover figure they could get.
  • Halo: Infinite is going to release....sometime, and it would be nice for him as DLC to coincide with that.
I'm saying all of this in terms of crossover value. I personally think Chief would be the best representative of Microsoft since he was with them since day 1 rather than being bought into them and Halo is still very relevant today.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
OPINION: Master Chief would be a better Microsoft rep than either Banjo or Steve.
  • Minecraft wasn't developed by Microsoft at all, just bought by them years into its lifetime.
  • The B&J franchise hasn't gotten a game in over a decade, I doubt Nintendo's target audience really knows who they are.
  • Master Chief is the face of Microsoft, after all and would be the best crossover figure they could get.
  • Halo: Infinite is going to release....sometime, and it would be nice for him as DLC to coincide with that.
I'm saying all of this in terms of crossover value. I personally think Chief would be the best representative of Microsoft since he was with them since day 1 rather than being bought into them and Halo is still very relevant today.
smh you didn't even bring up Halo'a influence on the FPS genre alongside Halo 3's infamous launch

D

Deleted member

You forgot to talk about the cancelled Halo game for the Nintendo DS.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
People play Minecraft for it’s gameplay, not Steve.

He’s not influential, Minecraft is.

If you ask any kid what they like about Minecraft, they’ll probably say something like “I like it cause it’s really fun to craft items!” or “I like building things!”

Not because of some ugly blank avatar that only has a name just to set a generic identity.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Thankfully, guest fighters are selected to represent themselves and their games, not their companies.

No offense to Halo fans, he'd still be a sensible choice, I just don't like this company representation argument and it honestly doesn't work for the first Fighter Pass character we got..

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
If Chief gets in, I bet there will have a serious discussion about whether Halo games will be ported to Switch.

osby

Smash Obsessed

If you ask any kid what they like about Minecraft, they’ll probably say something like “I like it cause it’s really fun to craft items!” or “I like building things!”

Not because of some ugly blank avatar that only has a name just to set a generic identity.
Yeah, just like nobody played :ultfalcon::ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer::ultvillager::ultdoc::ultpokemontrainer::ulticeclimbers:'s games for their deep personalities and attractive designs.

Honestly, I don't remember playing many games specifically for its main character, and that includes my favorite games like Persona.

D

Deleted member

And everyone loves AC for :ultvillager:, and everyone played Wii Sports for :ultmiifighters:, right?

The generic avatar argument really doesn't work when we already have those in the game.

Also, no one likes him? Tell that to the mountains of merchandizing and advertising with his face plastered all over it.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Yeah, just like nobody played :ultfalcon::ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer::ultvillager::ultdoc::ultpokemontrainer::ulticeclimbers:'s games for their deep personalities and attractive designs.

Honestly, I don't remember playing many games specifically for its main character, and that includes my favorite games like Persona.
Thanks, I knew the inevitable Villager/Wii Fit Trainer/whoever counterargument was gonna pop up.

I didn’t say anything about personality, gameplay matters the most but what I saying that Steve as a character means nothing to most people if they rather

A character doesn’t need the most compelling backstory or design but if people enjoy playing as that certain character from whatever game is, they would be fond of him/her and see them branch out more.

Those characters you listed are what Sakurai picked on his own merit, Steve can apply but I’m only saying why Steve himself isn’t that big as his defenders think.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Nintendo is choosing the characters, Not Sakurai
I'm betting that the DLC choices are gonna be either specifically for marketing, or for strengthening up bonds with third party companies...

Besides, the base game was for the fan requests...
I'm thinking this time, for the DLC, Nintendo's gonna do their own thing...
You are likely correct. Still that supports my case for Rayman as it would help Nintendo with Ubisoft.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Thanks, I knew the inevitable Villager/Wii Fit Trainer/whoever counterargument was gonna pop up.

I didn’t say anything about personality, gameplay matters the most but what I saying that Steve as a character means nothing to most people if they rather

A character doesn’t need the most compelling backstory or design but if people enjoy playing as that certain character from whatever game is, they would be fond of him/her and see them branch out more.

Those characters you listed are what Sakurai picked on his own merit, Steve can apply but I’m only saying why Steve himself isn’t that big as his defenders think.
You'll need to define what "that big" means. Most Steve supporters are just trying to tell people that he has his fans because a lot of fans seem to stuck on "nobody likes him" argument.

And as Mr. Wario said, it's kinda silly to argue a character with a lot of merchandise has no fans.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
And everyone loves AC for :ultvillager:, and everyone played Wii Sports for :ultmiifighters:, right?

The generic avatar argument really doesn't work when we already have those in the game.

Also, no one likes him? Tell that to the mountains of merchandizing and advertising with his face plastered all over it.
Where did I say that nobody likes him? I meant as in focusing on the gameplay and not caring about him in particular.

Also, needing an obvious face to promote your stuff doesn’t necessarily mean everybody loves him, if he has fans then that’s nice.

Villager is an avatar but you customize them depending on looks, hairstyles, clothes and etc, and they actually have a main purpose in their game.

Miis are fair point.

D

Deleted member

That doesn't even address his point that :ultwiifittrainer::ultvillager: ARE here and have just as much "personality" as Steve. I'm pretty sure Minecraft fans know who he is, 'cause, y'know, he's literally the game's mascot.

Honestly, this just comes down to you not wanting him and trying to find any insignificant thing you can to argue why it would be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom