• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That doesn't even address his point that :ultwiifittrainer::ultvillager: ARE here and have just as much "personality" as Steve. I'm pretty sure Minecraft fans know who he is, 'cause, y'know, he's literally the game's mascot.

Honestly, this just comes down to you not wanting him and trying to find any insignificant thing you can to argue why it would be bad.
So. Everyone has to want him and anyone who doesn’t is petty and selfish. Yeah. That’s totally fair.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So. Everyone has to want him and anyone who doesn’t is petty and selfish. Yeah. That’s totally fair.
Nope. You can don't want/like him and come up with good arguments. Or you can just bluntly say you don't like him or you don't want him in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People play Minecraft for it’s gameplay, not Steve.

He’s not influential, Minecraft is.

If you ask any kid what they like about Minecraft, they’ll probably say something like “I like it cause it’s really fun to craft items!” or “I like building things!”

Not because of some ugly blank avatar that only has a name just to set a generic identity.
People play Super Mario Bros. for it’s gameplay, not Mario.

He’s not influential, Super Mario Bros. is.

If you ask any kid what they like about Super Mario Bros., they’ll probably say something like “I like it cause it’s really fun to run around and get to the end of the level!” or “I like jumping on things!”

Not because of some ugly blank avatar that only has a name just to set a generic identity.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Where did I say that nobody likes him? I meant as in focusing on the gameplay and not caring about him in particular.

Also, needing an obvious face to promote your stuff doesn’t necessarily mean everybody loves him, if he has fans then that’s nice.

Villager is an avatar but you customize them depending on looks, hairstyles, clothes and etc, and they actually have a main purpose in their game.

Miis are fair point.
"Focusing on gameplay but not caring about the character" is a point that can be used against multiple guests we already have, like Simon, Ryu, Mega Man or PAC-MAN. But again, this would be very generalizing and subjective.

D

Deleted member

Where on earth did I say that? It's fine to not want him, but trying to tell people who do want him that "nobody does" is not the basis for any actual debate about the subject.

Seriously, some of y'all get way too touchy over cube man.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
People play Super Mario Bros. for it’s gameplay, not Mario.

He’s not influential, Super Mario Bros. is.

If you ask any kid what they like about Super Mario Bros., they’ll probably say something like “I like it cause it’s really fun to run around and get to the end of the level!” or “I like jumping on things!”

Shish I can't believe you're trying to slander Mario Mario, who captivated millions worldwide with his tragic backstory of his mother being strangled to death by pasta and his dad was made into ravioli. People love Mario because despite this and the many, many other hardships he experienced in life, he still finds a way to remain optimistic. Truly, the icon we deserve

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
i hope minecraft never touches Smash so this repeted argumant never happens again. People say they dont like him and yall act like we need to write yall a 100 page double spaced essay on why, chill out

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Oh boy... Steve talk again.
To put it simply:
I like Minecraft
I’m fine with Minecraft content in Smash
I DON’T want Steve as a playable character

That’s just my opinion. You’re allowed to agree or disagree with it, but I’m not changing my mind on the matter.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Don't get the theory of assist trophies deconfirming characters.

In a game we can have Mario vs Mario vs Mario vs Mario vs Mario vs Mario vs Mario vs Mario fightingon shadow moses island as well as robin still having chrom everywhere is an assist trophy that big of a deal?

Like lets say shadow is a playable character okay then just make it so shadow doesn't appear as an asisst trophy when shadow us selected as a fighter it is like the easiest thing to solve.

D

Deleted member

TBH I love that this fan base likes to keep moving the imaginary goalposts for who can get in Smash.

I don't even think Steve is likely, but to argue personality being required when we have characters that either:

A. Don't have one.
or
B. Have one, yes, but has nothing to do with why people enjoy their games.

People don't play Mario because he has deep, emotional backstory. People don't play DKC because they deeply resonate with a big gorilla that likes bananas. No one plays Wii Sports to have their world rocked with its deep lore and characters.

People play games because they are fun, and like these characters because they are fun. And this applies to all characters, including Steve.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Do you ever get the feeling "We've gone too far here?"

Doom guy: visceral violence
Steve: minimalist avatar
Geno: nostalgia

It's fine for everyone to dream, but it feels more like people want to lead others by the collar to their point of view. The people you are arguing with aren't even the people who make the decisions.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
If anything Steve defenders are just as touchy if all they counter arguments is with “That doesn’t mean anything! So is *playable character*”

But yeah, I’m done with Steve talk if it goes nowhere.

I’m not trying to scorn anyone who wants him but it’s hard to personally feel why you think he wouldn’t be a good pick without someone denying it.

In a game we can have Mario vs Mario vs Mario vs Mario vs Mario vs Mario vs Mario vs Mario fightingon shadow moses island as well as robin still having chrom everywhere is an assist trophy that big of a deal?

Like lets say shadow is a playable character okay then just make it so shadow doesn't appear as an asisst trophy when shadow us selected as a fighter it is like the easiest thing to solve.
1. I’m confident they made Chrom in 5 minutes.
2. They have a confirmed role and their fate is sealed, no promotion is possible unless Sakurai decides otherwise.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Oh boy... Steve talk again.
To put it simply:
I like Minecraft
I’m fine with Minecraft content in Smash
I DON’T want Steve as a playable character

That’s just my opinion. You’re allowed to agree or disagree with it, but I’m not changing my mind on the matter.
My thoughts exactly. Minecraft is cool, but I don't really like the idea of Steve being a fighter, he is just so plain and boring.

D

Deleted member

i hope minecraft never touches Smash so this repeted argumant never happens again. People say they dont like him and yall act like we need to write yall a 100 page double spaced essay on why, chill out
The entire point of this thread is to discuss, debate, and speculate. That includes debating Steve, especially when arguments used against him usually don't have any more depth than "Don't like him".

Also, no one is being hostile or rude. Don't think anyone needs to "chill out".

osby

Smash Obsessed
1. I’m confident they made Chrom in 5 minutes.
2. They have a confirmed role and their fate is sealed, no promotion is possible unless Sakurai decides otherwise.
So, no promotion is possible unless promotions are possible?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
So, no promotion is possible unless promotions are possible?
Uh yes actually....?
You can’t just assume they’ll magically reprogram Hammer Bro as a fighter for no reason and remove the item unless they’re outright announcing it.

D

Deleted member

I like that Steve supporters are now the touchy ones when all we're doing is explaining why we think he fits.

So, it's okay to dislike and trash him, but anyone who wants to discuss why they want him or why he works are the touchy ones?

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord

I think the theory was made mostly because Waluigi fans was getting a little annoying after awhile and just believe assist trophy is deconfirmation. We could see a character be promoted (fingers crossed for Isaac), but it doesn't seems likely as Sakurai would like prefer going for character that has yet to be in Smash.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Steve supporters are allowed to voice their opinion on why they want Steve and people who don't want Steve can make posts explaining why.

You're all grown ups so if you don't like an opinion it's like deal with it just ignore it and move on people have free speech.

D

Deleted member

Why is it that literallly any time Steve is brought up this happens? Chill out my lads. This isn’t targeted at anybody specific, just think tension is rising a bit. We’re all mature here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Why are people so grumpy on Steve?
As I said, he is not a character I find appealing, neither do I really like him, and I've never played the game, but I still think the character itself could be very unqiue regarding the current roster.

I would be ok with Steve, not because he is such a huge face, that everyone loves, and praise like a damn Dreamcast God, but because of the moveset potential he could bring. Steve could be anyone, same as Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, etc, but what they all have in common is to utulize their source of origin games. AND THAT'S why I think Steve is not that bad of a choice.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh, something I failed to mention about the rumoured 3. Assuming that's legit, it looks like that the DLC is meant to cater to old and new fans and honestly, I really like that. Even if it's fake, we have Joker confirmed and Erdrick all but confirmed meaning Nintendo/Sakurai do seem to be keeping that mentality in mind

D

Deleted member

If you ask me, I think a minecraft stage would be a far better representation of Minecraft than a fighter. The world is after all the most iconic part of minecraft, the dirt block is literally the symbol of the entire series. People know minecraft for its blocky aesthetic, those who haven’t played it at least. A randomly generated stage based on minecraft could be cool and would show off the game best imo. That’s just me though.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ultimately, I will grow to like these characters just like I did Corrin and Bayonetta. The problem with Ultimate compared to 4 and Brawl is that I haven't really gotten a character that I wanted yet. With 4 I had Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr, Rosalina, Megaman, Robin, Pacman, Little Mac, etc. So many great characters. With Brawl you had Sonic, Olimar, Wario, Diddy Kong, Pit, etc.

I guess the best character so far for Ultimate has been Simon Belmont. I also liked KRool, Ridley, and Inkling. However, there hasn't been much sense that has made me excited.

I know some of you really like these characters so congrats on that. Hopefully they are fun and enjoyable.

I will state this, characters like Bomberman, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo-Kazooie, Geno, etc. would have been well accepted by the community and would not face the negativity or heat that you are seeing with Steve or some of the other characters being added or proposed.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
So can anyone tell me about what's up with Ryu of Nintenja Gaiden? Never really got in the series.

No personality is code for "I don't like them or understand their source material so my ignorance trumps your experience."
Minecraft is not exactly a deep masterpiece and odds are there is less than 1% of people here who has never touched Minecraft. And you don't have to dislike a series to not want a fighter from it *cough Ness *cough.

D

Deleted member

Shish I can't believe you're trying to slander Mario Mario, who captivated millions worldwide with his tragic backstory of his mother being strangled to death by pasta and his dad was made into ravioli. People love Mario because despite this and the many, many other hardships he experienced in life, he still finds a way to remain optimistic. Truly, the icon we deserve
The plot twist that the Mushroom Kingdom was actually present-day Earth after being destroyed in a nuclear war hit me hard. Imagine being Mario and finding out you're the last of your kind since Luigi is gone as he had tk sacrifice himself so they could escape the crashing starship and finally kill Wendy Koopa once and for all.
Oh **** guys, Doomguy would be an anime character. The guy who did the mo-cap for him in 2016 voiced the Goblin Slayer. They even both have 'Slayer' in their name
Darkest timeline.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If you ask me, I think a minecraft stage would be a far better representation of Minecraft than a fighter. The world is after all the most iconic part of minecraft, the dirt block is literally the symbol of the entire series. People know minecraft for its blocky aesthetic, those who haven’t played it at least. A randomly generated stage based on minecraft could be cool and would show off the game best imo. That’s just me though.
So I guess it's a nice thing that every fighter will come with a stage.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So can anyone tell me about what's up with Ryu of Nintenja Gaiden? Never really got in the series.

Minecraft is not exactly a deep masterpiece and odds are there is less than 1% of people here who has never touched Minecraft. And you don't have to dislike a series to not want a fighter from it *cough Ness *cough.
Ninja dude from ball-bustingly hard games who can also piledrive people

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I flipping hate Minecraft but can't deny it's cultural impact and have to admit the aestetics are perfect for a stage.

Steve however, is unlikely imo.
Presumably, Sakurai got a list from Nintendo to choose from. It's possible there are Microsoft characters on there for reasons many have explained better than I could.
Sakurai stated years ago that he'd pick characters based on "If he could see them 'dancing' on the stage in his mind", basically meaning that movement is an important factor.
You might throw R.O.B. of G&W as a counter argument here but they were basically made into characters for smash. Steve is Just... Too blocky?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I flipping hate Minecraft but can't deny it's cultural impact and have to admit the aestetics are perfect for a stage.

Steve however, is unlikely imo.
Presumably, Sakurai got a list from Nintendo to choose from. It's possible there are Microsoft characters on there for reasons many have explained better than I could.
Sakurai stated years ago that he'd pick characters based on "If he could see them 'dancing' on the stage in his mind", basically meaning that movement is an important factor.
You might throw R.O.B. of G&W as a counter argument here but they were basically made into characters for smash. Steve is Just... Too blocky?
I didn't know Joker was a Nintendo character
EDIT: Never mind I can't read

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Remember. The supposed Steve supporters in this argument aren't necessarily pro Steve themselves.

They're anti stupid argument.

The avatar argument is stupid cause we have several of those.
The argument that people don't know or care about Steve is stupid because merchandise sales, and common knowledge.Just ask a classroom. I mean it. Heck I just taught 4th graders. Only series they knew were Mario, Pokémon and Minecraft and rarely Zelda.
The argument that Steve is ugly is entirely subjective.
The argument that Mine craft is important but Steve isn't is just.... assinine. People tried to argue that stuff with Snake, Ryu and CLOUD. No joke. I heard it word for word. The argument had no legs to stand on.

If you want good arguments against Steve bring up that he's a western developed character, or that he's owned by a direct competitor. Or perhaps that Minecraft has crossovers in Minecraft but Minecraft characters don't leave Minecraft showing a possible hesitance.

No one is saying you have to like the idea. Just stop justifying your opinion with stupid arguments.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

It's more so that Sakurai decided that role fits them for the game. They announced the DLC planning was finished a week after the last Direct/pre-release. If they wanted to make them DLC they would have saved the resources for that.

To him the characters are already in the game. If Nintendo subscribes to that idea they may not suggest those characters as fighters. If they don't I think only Waluigi stands a chance anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom