• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Reminder that the Geno we saw in the Direct was an icon for Battle Arena, which seems to be playable online if I recall.

It wasn't a Spirit; Klaptrap is an icon as well, with a different image than its Spirit, so I don't think they're the same.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Put yourself in my place.

The Daisy player come here and say "Smash is too good for Geno"
I understand your frustrations Graizen, really I do. For the past weeks especially lol.

I am a fan of both characters but I get what you're saying.

It's been tough for you, yeah. Hang in there though. I'm sure it'll pay off.

D

Deleted member

One was in a renowned fighting game as a character who was highly requested and had a hilarious moveset that could allow him to turn the tables and topple even the mightiest of foes, and was sorely missed in that game's successor.

The other was in said sequel which is quite looked down these days. My condolences to Monster Hunter, but it's Phoenix's turn to return for more fights.
Just give Phoenix Wright one of his Crusade movesets.

Take your pick:
  1. The optimal way to play him involves tea bagging for the chance to gain more evidence.
  2. Wright can shield cancel OBJECTION into itself, meaning that you can win by mashing shield and special. OBJECTION does not flinch, but does 11% per hit, and each successful hit will power up TAKE THAT which kills at 50%.
They truly are a thing of beauty~
:4pacman:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
We're over here pondering on what insiders are saying when meanwhile Graizen is just becoming an insider himself.
That's some 4D chess if I've ever seen it.
I gotta admit, out of all the users here, Graizen would definitely not be the one I'd expect to go out and get some insider info.
Just goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover (or profile pic in this case).

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
I will admit that I would find it very odd if Geno's not a spirit considering they clearly already got rights to him for the player icon. I'm honestly guessing he's a spirit with his costume returning and the Mii Gunner being his vessel, but if release does hit without him showing his face then I am of the opinion that his very low chances right now look a tiny bit more optimistic.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
To be fair, you were kinda asking for it with a post like that...
I even agreed he was a good character though.

Apparently it came across as ''Never put him into Smash" which none of it actually read like in my eyes.

I agree he makes a lot of sense for Smash because of his ties to Nintendo and what not. I just find Monster Hunter a fun idea for Smash as well.

D

Deleted member

Never got to play Octo Expansion. How was it?
Honestly, it's probably the best DLC Nintendo has put out yet IMO. For the price it is an incredibly good value when you get:

-80 levels, all incredibly designed and have great replayability IMO
-Fantastic difficulty curves and overall challenge
-Amazing EX bosses
-Great writing that expands upon the Splatoon lore
-Playable Octolings!
-Great soundtrack
-One of the best hidden bosses and 100% rewards ever IMO

As much as I enjoyed Splatoon 2's base game single player, Octo Expansion beats it 10-1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I will admit that I would find it very odd if Geno's not a spirit considering they clearly already got rights to him for the player icon. I'm honestly guessing he's a spirit with his costume returning and the Mii Gunner being his vessel, but if release does hit without him showing his face then I am of the opinion that his very low chances right now look a tiny bit more optimistic.
Reminder that the Geno we saw in the Direct was an icon for Battle Arena, which seems to be playable online if I recall.

It wasn't a Spirit; Klaptrap is an icon as well, with a different image than its Spirit, so I don't think they're the same.
Thoughts on this, Igno? Also, can I ask why you think Geno's chances are so low?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The new Capcom character will be Phoenix Wright piggybacking Dante while riding on Amaterasu, with Morrigan holding onto Frank West, constantly orbiting their heads, and they're all holding weapons from Monster Hunter.

Done.

The perfect character.
*loudly clearing his throat*

AH-HEH-HEH-HEH-HEM.

Best selling Capcom games said:
  1. Monster Hunter World
  2. Resident Evil 5
  3. Resident Evil 6
  4. Street Fighter II
  5. Resident Evil 7
  6. Resident Evil 2

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We talking Capcom characters? Because my vote goes to Leon Kennedy and Dante.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I even agreed he was a good character though.

Apparently it came across as ''Never put him into Smash" which none of it actually read like in my eyes.

I agree he makes a lot of sense for Smash because of his ties to Nintendo and what not. I just find Monster Hunter a fun idea for Smash as well.
My apologies...
Green Biker Dude should be the next Capcom character.
And fixed... :4pacman:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It was shown off during Sakruai's demonstration (it was actually the first classic footage seen period)
Looking at that thumbnail - I notice something interesting.

See how it shows the KOd characters. It doesn't show Leaf, it shows Ivysaur. Are we getting to the Pokémon being considered individually, I hope? I know we saw icons for Squirtle, Ivy, and Charmie, along with the Mii classes. I can't wait until the game's datamined so I can use my :ultsquirtle: icon...
I feel ya.
I can get that way a lot.

But this would beg the question, if Geno isn't a Spirit, then what exactly is he? We saw him in the Nov. 1st Direct. He certainly wasn't a character there.
If he isn't a Spirit, what was he?
Does anyone have that pic? I'm pretty sure that icon used Geno's one official render - if he got a spirit, I'd assume that that's the render they'd use. But I also know that the Moon icon they showed at another time in the direct uses the official art for it's assist from Ultimate, and I assume that all of the assists' spirits will use the official art...

Graizen

Smash Champion
Hey people , imagine if Sakurai got Marvel and Capcom to put Marvel character in Smash as DLC.

Oh i would play the **** of Ironman and Wolverine!

And imagine if they put Marvel vs Capcom music in Smash!
Imagine this on the Character Select in Smash:

Last edited:

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Thoughts on this, Igno? Also, can I ask why you think Geno's chances are so low?
As others have pointed out, with Nintendo at the helm he's fundamentally a choice that doesn't make sense. Nintendo are likely to pick choices which benefit them on all fronts: both direct DLC sales and cross-promotion. Even if they do take the ballot results and work from there to achieve the former, there would still be better picks for achieving the latter since Geno is very unlikely to ever have a significant role again. The only reason I don't think he's totally dead is because Verge is calling a Square Enix character and all of Square Enix's other characters seem like similarly flawed choices.

As for the battle icon, that's exactly what I'm referring to. The presence of that icon means they negotiated rights to use Geno in some capacity. I really doubt if they were going for that they wouldn't bother get the rights to use him as a Spirit considering they know he's a very popular character. By extension I would be very surprised if the Mii costume didn't return for the same reason. If he lacks a Spirit and his Mii costume that would seem to be a very odd omission from my perspective.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Watched GameXplain's spirits showcase.

No Piranha Plant yet, eh?
-Spirits Theory intensifies- :yeahboi:

Notable absentees thus far from a first party perspective are Funky, Mipha, Sylux, and Celica. Obviously they could still be Spirits, but considering minor characters or enemies are getting spirits it would be quite telling if they weren't included at all.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Watched GameXplain's spirits showcase.

No Piranha Plant yet, eh?
-Spirits Theory intensifies- :yeahboi:

Notable absentees thus far from a first party perspective are Funky, Mipha, Sylux, and Celica. Obviously they could still be Spirits, but considering minor characters or enemies are getting spirits it would be quite telling if they weren't included at all.
I think I did see a shared spirit for child Alm and Celica.

I'm not buying into Spirit theories just yet though, the assumption that spirits deconfirms characters seems a bit too presumptuous to me and there's probably still a lot that we haven't seen yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom