• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash UK Discussion Thread - Check first post for tournaments, facebook info and videos!

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Also I look forward to playing you this monthly VA and seeing you improve and nothing less then just that....undoubtably I will be playing you in bracket as per (gay but fun) usual lol.

I hope your peach does improve as well as I want my fox to.

Also I would like to offer my position up for being the 1st Seed at this tournament as I beat Charles and consistently have dominanted him the last 3 times we have met up and he openly admitted that I am better then him ATM....just saying :)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
What a ****ing lie smakis. I'm not playing you in the future.

Read wobbles blog prof it's all about him trying to overcome his mind issues.
lol I know that blog must have been insightful for you, but yeah I actually read it in one of his posts in some thread that Alpha Dash made when he was trying to figure out what to do against me or something along them lines.

not lying, remember quite clearly getting you down to 1 stock several games
lol I think we're forgetting that him whatever stocking you every match only partially relevant in the big scale of things when it comes to him facing VA or whatever since that's what this stemed from I think (I THINK)

I could **** you every game and not get down to 1 stock if you like :bee:

Edit - Also Bullet Bill's post reminds me.....
Who was asking about me at The European Event and who was asking about Bullet Bill lol?

VA

Smash Hero
not lying, remember quite clearly getting you down to 1 stock several games
whatever man you just went back and changed your post which makes you look even worse to me.

EDIT: tbh I don't care that much, but I'm not playing you in friendlies again. I'm still happy to be friendly towards you though, so lets not fight.

smakis

Smash Ace
didn't change, added.

I might just be overly depressed since I thought I would perform better, if I have come across as a douche I apologize.

response edit (lol): reread everything I wrote, and yes I sound like a major douche. I'm not suggesting I'm even close to beating you =P, It's true I said you weren't very good at the matchup (which makes me look even worse since I still got ***** several games) and if you took offense I'm sorry. I do hope you play me in friendlies again since it would suck not being able to.

leffen

Smash Champion
ofc you stand a chance with falco... u do with ICs too. Just saying that playing vs armada is gonna be almost as hard with falco as it is with ICs. Just like VA said, its not broken in anyway.

Infact, most matchups are incredibly exaggerated when it comes to advantages, Kirby - Marth isnt 0-100. The more i explore undeveloped characters, the more I realize how close most matchups actually are.
Like Yoshi, he goes around even with Fox, Marth, Ics and Sheik, CF and Puff. I dont think anyone whos played my yoshi wouldnt agree in that most matchups are way closer than they seem.

Smakis, not to be rude or anything, but consistently 1 stocking you over 80% of the time ( and I did win with a bigger margin with both fox and falco numerous times ) is way better than 4 stocking you half of the time and losing the rest.

smakis

Smash Ace
you aren't being rude at all, I thouht I said you won the majority of the games? (i repeated this at the tournament several times aswell haha)

edit: to clarify, i meant most of your wins was 1 stocks, you 2-3 stocked me a lot times with both characters

VA

Smash Hero
I would suggest not switching as all that's going wrong for you so far is getting nervous and losing to armada.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Infact, most matchups are incredibly exaggerated when it comes to advantages, Kirby - Marth isnt 0-100. The more i explore undeveloped characters, the more I realize how close most matchups actually are.
Like Yoshi, he goes around even with Fox, Marth, Ics and Sheik, CF and Puff. I dont think anyone whos played my yoshi wouldnt agree in that most matchups are way closer than they seem.
I definitely agree with this statement...

Focusing on matchups stastics are silly in the long run, the main thing is working out how to actually play the matchup through experience and basically how to outsmart the specific person you are playing....

Kill The Beast

Smash Cadet
Yomi was asking about you Bullet Bill.
can't remember who asked about you prof, but it was a couple of people. I believe fuzz got asked about you as well though, maybe he will know some names.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
It'd be coool if you could main falco btw smakis. We don't really see that many falcos in the UK
My falco is PRI-GUD (In Waffles voice lol) now and so is J3ly and Deathgazer and Fuzzy's and prob VA's even though he doesn't really play Falco lol.

Enough falco's in the UK for people to get good experience from it and learn the matchup....

But really if you want to Learn it or just pure experience you just play the Professor Pro falco as it's leagues above everyonelses :awesome:

Retroking2000

Smash Master
just fool around with characters smakis

armada is hella beast though lol but you already knew that

also lol at charles playing gay and stil losing .

also i hate how prof can be cocky and no can say **** cause its true looool

smakis

Smash Ace
I would suggest not switching as all that's going wrong for you so far is getting nervous and losing to armada.

I guess, sorry for being a **** VA, hope you can forgive me.

Gonna stick with ICs for now, thanks for beating some sense into me guys >_>.

edit: the only time I heard profs name being mentioned was in the same sentence as yomi *hint* (though im sure there were others haha)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
just fool around with characters smakis

armada is hella beast though lol but you already

also lol at charles playing gay and stil losing .
looool This is true.....playing gay as I said isn't always the route to success.....but I do understand the urge to play like that when under pressure.

But I honestly think it would have been better for him to stick even though im pretty sure the reason he changed was due to lack of confidence in his character, I think he could of pulled through......oh well....I also HONESTLY think that travelling as a UK unit helps.

So I hope that can be done, I feel I can assisted in motivating whatever UK player playing and can't wait to throw in some of my trashtalk and watch the **** increase for people like VA and Fuzz lol :bee:

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
edit: the only time I heard profs name being mentioned was in the same sentence as yomi *hint* (though im sure there were others haha)
looool Yomi gave me money to let him win....this has already been discussed and clarified :confused:

But obv im not taking any sidebets this time and gonna full out ****.....The OoC time of **** when you beat them and just turn and look in their eyes after the match without saying anything.....

also i hate how prof can be cocky and no can say **** cause its true looool
:urg: It's the curse and the gift, I mean it's like i'm amazing, but then it feels like it's so hard to release it all without hurting other peoples feelings so I always have to supress my **** because im kind like that :urg:

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Sorry for the gay triple post but this was just to say VA can we have a £1 Falco vs Peach MM

Just want to try out that MU and get better at it as I want my falco to be my strong secondary, ATM it's pretty good vs Fox (***** Fuzzy's fox a few times lol) and all the fastfall matchups but I want this one.....plus you kinda beat me convincingly at Bishkin and that is not good times for Professor Pro lol :(

leffen

Smash Champion
Smakis, I was more like : Just because you can get them to 1 stock every match doesnt necessarily mean you are anywhere close to them in skill level... esp if you play them often and its friendlies. ( yeah, tournament definitely counts too , see CW ). Winning is the only thing that matters in the end, no matter how close, how much someone choked or played a bad decision, a win is always a win.

(just a fyi )

On the subject of choking: I hate how its used as a excuse nowadays. People are all like "Im actually better but I choked" ( no offence to anyone peculiar btw ), but the truth is that sets are just a competition of minds. If you lose because you choked, then you deserved the loss. Period. Honestly, you deserve the loss way more than those who fail because of inexperience, tech skill etc.
Experience and tech skill may be necessary, but atleast they are almost always a sign of being less prepared than your opponent.
You and your opponents mindset is the most important aspect of any match, no experience or tech skill will help you if you cant use them properly to win.

/rant

VA

Smash Hero
I have spoken to both Charles and Prof about this and I think that we could run these monthlies differently.

We could play an amateur and a pro bracket that runs operates in one of two ways.

Option 1

Pools are the first thing played in the tournament, you have to pay for entry as normal.

Following this all the people that did not advance into the bracket are put into an amateur bracket, single elimination perhaps. This bracket plays out and the top 1/2/3/4 whatever get put into the pro bracket with a seeding of some sort (not high).

This method would require that less people make it through pools in order to play another bracket (or at least I would assume this is somewhat necessary).

Option 2

Those who are not in the top 10 of the UK rankings play a double eliminiation and the top X go through into a pro bracket with low seedings. Other seedings are based purely on the UK ranking system.

Both of these ideas encourage the lower ranking players in the UK to attend and get better. Furthermore there are the available synergies with the existing ranking to think about. We could actually set up a good system where our players have clearly defined ranks and there is a reason to show up to tournaments.

What do people think about this? Maybe we could make a poll :/

Suggestions or alterations to or beyond either of these options is welcomed.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I don't like option 2 since it uses the ranking which really aren't the most accurate thing lol...

I don't mind giving option 1 a go though but it sounds like it might take longer ?

VA

Smash Hero
no but eventually the rankings would become more accurate if it used the top 10 and top 6 or whatever went through the amateur brackets. I dunno I'm just trying to think of some ideas of how it could work.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
for anything under about 80 entrants (which of course the uk is never gonna get) the usage of the pro and amatuer bracket is pretty pointless, the bog standard pools to bracket works fine for uk sized tournaments

EDIT:
Anaky/Andy Said:

For Brawl we'll just stick to doing our own bracket. I can get 2 Brawl events done in the space of time we have for the venue.

Deathgazer

Smash Ace
I think we should buy some tokens and give them out to people when they pay for entry but still keep the tournament as normal. but when you lose your bracket match you have to give your tokens away so you have the mentality of playing a MM lol

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
We are losing a lot of motivation for people at lower levels.....I think it's neccessary to take a step to try this out and also we have to look at Monthlies as a test ground for National Tournaments so I don't think we should ever leave things as they are.

I think an important question to ask is will this leave enough time for doubles and singles....

I think it will though if we do everything correctly.

The error with Option 1 is the pros having to wait for the amateur bracket to finish for them to fully proceed along with their bracket....I think the amateur bracket should be a complete isolated bracket from the Professional so both groups can proceed along with it.....

For this to happen successfully though a good amount of Setups are required.

rustediron

Smash Lord
I kinda like this idea, though I don't think we could probably just decide the top 8 players and send them into brackets from the beginning (and just do pools to sort out the other 8 players in the pros bracket, and the seedings in the amateur bracket).

And if you don't get at least top 8 in the pro bracket you get demoted and have to start up from pools in the next tournament, or something?

Pros are more likely to still be in the later rounds of the teams bracket as well, and a lot of people don't enter doubles at all, so you could start amateur pools (with the top 8 of these pools going to the pros bracket) while teams is going on (and hopefully finish by the time teams brackets are done).

To clarify, it would be something like:

Players automatically in pros bracket:
Fuzzyness
Professor Pro
j3ly
Retroking
Vanity Angel
Tamoo
Deathgazer
Smakis

Everyone else distributed in 8 pools.

Everyone not playing teams games starts playing their pools matches.
As people get knocked out of the teams brackets, they start playing their pool matches.

-Teams finish-

Last few games in pools are played, pro brackets are decided with each pro having their first match against a winner of a pool.

Amateur brackets are decided, and positions are seeded based on placements within pools.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I personally am well up for a revamp of the tournament system. I think the main problem with the second option VA is people travel and come to tournaments in order to play the good people, and that kind of stops that happening. I know it's an extreme example but having travelled all the way to Lyon a couple of years ago, I woulda been gutted had I not played someone amazing.

The first option however I have been campaigning for since joining smashboards. In fact, if you look, it's actually one of my first ever threads that I made. Obviously, there are time concerns with this, so for the following, I'm presuming doubles isn't happening at this monthly.

Start off with pools, have 8 hypothetical pools of 5 people. Top 2 go through pools as 1st and 2nd seeds.

The rest then go into a SINGLE ELIM bracket, double elimination is overkill at lower levels, as it's essentially a second chance anyway. Seedings don't even really need to be done for this, just chuck all the people in tio and let it create a random bracket.

Then top 4/8 progress as 3rd seeds and join the top seeds in the double elim bracket. I'd suggest 8 in this instance as 24 man bracket is more desireable than 20 man.

If doubles were to happen, the ideal time is just before the amateur bracket and the lower level players would be knocked out earlier and could start the amateur bracket sooner.

IMO, there should be either be 4 OR 5 POOLS, TOP 2 go through. That gives us 10 people into bracket. Then the rest go into the amateur bracket to fight for the remaining 6/8 places in the bracket in single elim, which will give us the perfect bracket number (16) rather than having to mess around with 24 man brackets etc.

Kill The Beast

Smash Cadet
I think the main problem with the second option VA is people travel and come to tournaments in order to play the good people, and that kind of stops that happening.
I think that's one of the reasons why it should happen. Currently the top players just play pointless games in order to progress through to playing the people who count. People who travel to tourneys in order to play the top players need to prove themselves for the top playing to even try against them any way, in which case an amateur bracket would allow the players proving themselves to fight the top players. People can always play top players in friendlies, or in money matches if they believe they're good enough to challenge them but didn't make bracket (which they wont be).

for anything under about 80 entrants (which of course the uk is never gonna get) the usage of the pro and amatuer bracket is pretty pointless, the bog standard pools to bracket works fine for uk sized tournaments
Your post makes it sound like you don't understand. The number of players is not the point. It's about getting people to step up their game and getting a stronger competitive player base in the UK.

rustediron

Smash Lord
I think that's one of the reasons why it should happen. Currently the top players just play pointless games in order to progress through to playing the people who count. People who travel to tourneys in order to play the top players need to prove themselves for the top playing to even try against them any way, in which case an amateur bracket would allow the players proving themselves to fight the top players. People can always play top players in friendlies, or in money matches if they believe they're good enough to challenge them but didn't make bracket (which they wont be).

Your post makes it sound like you don't understand. The number of players is not the point. It's about getting people to step up their game and getting a stronger competitive player base in the UK.
I agree with this, whilst tourney games are of course a very different environment from a friendly or a money match, I feel the average player cares very little about this; it just seems like you drew a short straw, and you've got an automatic loss looming ahead. In fact, everytime a player better than me (or sufficiently good enough that I have very little chance against them) comes up against me in brackets, I just look ahead into the losers bracket to see who else I'm likely to be facing.

I do think, however, that there the time constraints make something like yours or Tam's system unfeasible, and that the only way it could work is if we ran the pro and the amateur bracket side-by-side, with the top players in the amateur pools going to the pro brackets, and not doing pools for the pro bracket at all.

Top Bottom