• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash-Packing - The Official Backpacking Thread

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Dude I see you have zZz on your list. That's awesome! I can't wait to see you down here. We have official smashfest twice a week, and that isn't counting all the nights we spend playing Melee until like 5 AM at Myztek's house, or weekend smash or zZz's. You must stay more than 1 or 2 days in Memphis. :D

Jace08

Smash Lord
good luck dude and be careful. massive's a smart dude so really pay attention to what he says

If you're anywhere near lawrence ks, I could house you for a few days. Our crew gets together on saturday nights so you'd want to swing by on a weekend if you could

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Are you thinking about going to WA?
Anywhere and everywhere, bud! =] Where in WA do you live?

Dude I see you have zZz on your list. That's awesome! I can't wait to see you down here. We have official smashfest twice a week, and that isn't counting all the nights we spend playing Melee until like 5 AM at Myztek's house, or weekend smash or zZz's. You must stay more than 1 or 2 days in Memphis. :D
Lol sweet! I saw your record-break; that... was straight up awesome.

If I stay a while, I'd really hope to get more than just zZz for housing. I really don't want to overstay my welcome. =/

As much of a warm fuzzy thought as all of this is, it's still a daunting undertaking. You have not been in this community for very long, and you may very well run into doubts about the point of your trip and your future as a smash player altogether.

Especially as a new player, you're probably not going to win much at all as you travel, especially against some of the best in the business. Have you played anybody that was not only better than you, but feels almost insurmountably better? It can be a really crushing feeling.

Make no mistake about any of this:
You are not really "training" for anything. You will very likely get a bit better at smash but realize that being good at smash brothers is a hobby, not a life skill. You are likely going to leave this being much worse off financially than before, a decent trade perhaps for stories of travel.

Not trying to be a buzzkill, just a realist.
The only person I had to play with for a long time was my cousin, a Sheik main, who was always consistently better than me. It was so frustrating, but I never gave up. After shifting around between several different characters and experimenting (which he NEVER did) I developed a wide range of low-grade tech skill, which proved to be highly beneficial. Now I win the majority of the time we play. ^-^

I know I suck: I've been locked in shield by overwhelming Foxes, Fair'd by Sheiks more than I can fathom, and simply out-played by baiting Ganons. But I don't give up--just not my style. So I'll find answers and obtain self-satisfaction.

Video games will never be a way of life except in Korea, but I want to get my absolute fill of this game while I still have time, in youth. I put such emphasis on this specifically because I already have other plans for later life, but at the same time don't want to lose out on this opportunity.

Massive, you're a smart guy; you surface important issues and I admire that... But I will never give in, trust me. ;]

Prolly the best thread I've ever seen from anyone below 50 posts.
<3

EDIT:

Good luck man! Try to hit up Nova if you can! There are some decent smashers here.
Already got some places set up in SOVA, so I'm sure to be in the area! Where on NOVA specifically?

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Confirming housing for Akron area Ohio if you make it up there - smash scene is virtually non-existant, but it could be fun for sure.

As far as people telling you about danger, recklessness, etc... Forget 'em. Do it. This is an awesome idea and would make history.

EDIT: My sister went to school in Sarasota and lives about an hour away now. Depending on how long your trip is, any chance I could tag along? :3

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
ehy, if you're gong to Akron, stop by cleveland for a bit.
Can't offer you housing or anything, but stop by and play with us :3

also, pichu is the destroyer of ganondorfs :troll:

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Confirming housing for Akron area Ohio if you make it up there - smash scene is virtually non-existant, but it could be fun for sure.

As far as people telling you about danger, recklessness, etc... Forget 'em. Do it. This is an awesome idea and would make history.

EDIT: My sister went to school in Sarasota and lives about an hour away now. Depending on how long your trip is, any chance I could tag along? :3
Thanks for the support, Beab! =D And as for tagging along, anything's possible! Just make sure you really plan it out. I approached this a tad late for my taste planning-wise, and I should be doing better to keep things organized, imo. So plan better than I am now! x]

ehy, if you're gong to Akron, stop by cleveland for a bit.
Can't offer you housing or anything, but stop by and play with us :3

also, pichu is the destroyer of ganondorfs :troll:
Lol Don't worry about housing if you are unable. It'd be nice, but it's obviously completely out of my hands. =p Idk what I'd do after I made it to you though without a place to recover... I'll have to figure this out.

Blu

Smash Apprentice
If you are in the Long Island area we can get some smash down for a few days!
Sweet! I'm almost sure I'd get a place to stay in NY thanks to my cousin being close friends with Mofo and an acquaintance of PC's. ^-^ And the longer I stay in big scenes the better, so I'll be sure to get back in touch!

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Thanks for the support, Beab! =D And as for tagging along, anything's possible! Just make sure you really plan it out. I approached this a tad late for my taste planning-wise, and I should be doing better to keep things organized, imo. So plan better than I am now! x]
Haha, I'm legit at planning trips and stuff, so we can totally work it out. I had the idea of bringing whoever it is that's making the "Smash!" documentary along - could be a pretty cool addition. We should definitely plan on it only being a 2-3 week trip, though, because anything beyond there would be pretty pricy. Best case scenario, we're looking at about 200 dollars per person if we can bring like 5-6 people. 600 dollars in gas + 100 dollars if we live off of ramen noodles and PP&J for two weeks lol

I have a car, but it isn't the most fuel efficient, plus it's in my parents name and I doubt they'd be down with me taking it on a longass road trip with people they dont know. :p

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Haha, I'm legit at planning trips and stuff, so we can totally work it out. I had the idea of bringing whoever it is that's making the "Smash!" documentary along - could be a pretty cool addition. We should definitely plan on it only being a 2-3 week trip, though, because anything beyond there would be pretty pricy. Best case scenario, we're looking at about 200 dollars per person if we can bring like 5-6 people. 600 dollars in gas + 100 dollars if we live off of ramen noodles and PP&J for two weeks lol

I have a car, but it isn't the most fuel efficient, plus it's in my parents name and I doubt they'd be down with me taking it on a longass road trip with people they dont know. :p
I'm totally down! It'll be a nice luxury to get some rides to places without constantly having to be on guard. And I understand that most people won't approach this kind of extreme travel, but even so, even limited time with others is always a welcome. =] It's implied I'd have to split from you guys sometime along the way, though.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Lol Don't worry about housing if you are unable. It'd be nice, but it's obviously completely out of my hands. =p Idk what I'd do after I made it to you though without a place to recover... I'll have to figure this out.
Cleveland is about an hour away from akron, so you could like stop here for a bit on your way there maybe.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
this is the worst idea, i mean comon smash is a childrens game do something productive instead

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yo, if you're going through the barren midwest and you're not creepy, my 'rents would probably let you crash at our house for a night (Champaign) and you'd get to play another bad-at-melee just-turned-18-year-old and maybe some of the guys from the U of I.

And you can have food and stuff

Hitchhiking is gonna be hard, though... maybe you should wait until you have a bit more cash on hand? If that's not possible... good luck getting everywhere.

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Yo, if you're going through the barren midwest and you're not creepy, my 'rents would probably let you crash at our house for a night (Champaign) and you'd get to play another bad-at-melee just-turned-18-year-old and maybe some of the guys from the U of I.

And you can have food and stuff

Hitchhiking is gonna be hard, though... maybe you should wait until you have a bit more cash on hand? If that's not possible... good luck getting everywhere.
Thanks, Battlecow! And don't worry, I'm not creepy; I'm pretty normal when it comes to socializing and being polite. =] FOOD?? YESZ!

And I expect no less of the hitchhiking. =/ It's gonna be a loooong trip.

this is the worst idea, i mean comon smash is a childrens game do something productive instead
LOL I might grow old, but I'll never grow up when it comes to Melee. x]

Yo north east ohio poeple. We should have a tourney for when blu comes around.
@_@ I feel so special! lmao But seriously, this could only spawn Amazing.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
this is the worst idea, i mean comon smash is a childrens game do something productive instead WHEEEEEEEEE LOOK AT ME GUYS I'M ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FTFY

Yeah man, Yardley PA crew (Lookin' Cute Feelin' Cute) is totally up for housing you. We'll hold a smashfest at my place if you come up and you can stay on my trundle bed. Backpacking is really fun if you've got a gameplan for it, so it's good to see you're planning it out.

cmac

Smash Cadet
Mount Vernon NY (Holidays) Elon, NC (School Terms)
First off, GL and I like you're attitude.
I've always thought about doing this but I don't know how well it would work out for me.
Second, I'll ask my parents about you possibly spending a night or so at our house in NY (though I'm not goin to lie, it doesn't look to good) and then you could play another hs senior yr smasher as well as some other smashers in the area.
If I can't help you with a bed, good luck on your journey!

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Yeah man, Yardley PA crew (Lookin' Cute Feelin' Cute) is totally up for housing you. We'll hold a smashfest at my place if you come up and you can stay on my trundle bed. Backpacking is really fun if you've got a gameplan for it, so it's good to see you're planning it out.
Companies still manufacture trundle beds? lmao And ty, CS! You've been added to the list. =] It's sounds as if you've backpacked before. If so, any advice?

First off, GL and I like you're attitude.
I've always thought about doing this but I don't know how well it would work out for me.
Second, I'll ask my parents about you possibly spending a night or so at our house in NY (though I'm not goin to lie, it doesn't look to good) and then you could play another hs senior yr smasher as well as some other smashers in the area.
If I can't help you with a bed, good luck on your journey!
Thanks! And I may sound like a broken record, but believe me when I say that all your luck is appreciated! =]

cmac

Smash Cadet
Mount Vernon NY (Holidays) Elon, NC (School Terms)
Hey Blu,
talked to my mom a little bit about you possibly staying at my house for a night. At this point its still a maybe but my mom sounded like she wouldn't mind letting you stay here for a day or two, possibly more if I can manage it. However, being the worried parent that she is, she would like some verification before allowing you to use one of our beds. I'll talk to her more about it but would you be willling to have a quick phone conversation with me and my parents? It gives you the greatest chance of sleeping here for a bit. Also, I'll talk the other in my crew (Sons of Swag) to see if we could have a smashfest while your in town. Hope for the best.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Companies still manufacture trundle beds? lmao And ty, CS! You've been added to the list. =] It's sounds as if you've backpacked before. If so, any advice?
I had to hitchhike home from camp once because my parents were away and I forgot to tell them my ride cancelled on me. It was terrifying, but it was also kind of cool. I would recommend having some money, even a little bit, to help with gas if you can. Also, pack as light as you can. If I learned anything from the Appalachian Trail, it was that you can't just say "Oh, it's just another pound, it won't hurt" when you're walking with that extra pound for a week, or in your case a month. Don't neglect to bring cheap food like Ramen (You can eat it dry and it's light as hell) and know some basical wilderness survival skills in case you somehow don't get a home for the night and you've gotta camp it out outside.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I would think that you'd have to camp outside multiple times unless someone drives you, given that the people who have offered to house you are states away.

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman
Traveling by car if it's relatively fuel efficient (like 25 mpg) is not that expensive especially if you get 4 people to go altogether. I just drove up from mid Cali to Seattle, WA, about 1200 miles, and it cost me like $75. I've also driven the approximately 3,000 miles from CA to TN and even to NY and it costs like $200-300. Just saying, if you can get more people in on this crazy awesome journey, the better. It's totally doable and I'm rooting for you. When I was your age I did something similar when I went down to SoCal to play in Super Champ Combo and crashed at Mango's house for a week so we could play at Evo West the next weekend. I would highly recommend you plan your trip's route/agenda/schedule based on the big summer tournaments you want to go to the most and the top players you really want to play against. If you do ever make it to WA, hit up SilentWolf. He's a chill dude and he let me and some guys just smash at his big *** house til like 4am and sleep on couches. Get better before you get to West Coast tho. NorCal, SoCal and WA smashers are ****.

zZz

Smash Apprentice
I failed to mention before... we get together on Tuesdays and Wednesdays to smash so that would definitely be the time to show up.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I don't have any housing in the midwest as of yet, but in the southwest--specifically AZ--I've talked with a few people who may be up for it. I haven't talked to the big AZ players like Axe, Taj, or Tai, but I have easy connections to them already; I'll have answers from the soon enough. ^-^
i'm 99% sure taj or i will be able to house you in az

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Just as an immediate heads-up to all: I know I have the majority of the information, but I have yet to compile a concrete list of where I'll be heading based on who's offered housing. Put simply, I don't know where everyone lives off the top of my head as of yet... @L@

However, I'm going to be doing my best over the next few days to put general data on my road map and have it posted here so we can all have an idea of what's been offered and where.

Have a place in TX yet?
So Nujabes, I'm not quite sure yet. xD But like Varist said, TX is ridiculously large, so the more places I have to stay in the US's bigger states the better. If you have a couch, repost so I can add you to the OP! =]

I failed to mention before... we get together on Tuesdays and Wednesdays to smash so that would definitely be the time to show up.
[Noted] ^-^

I would think that you'd have to camp outside multiple times unless someone drives you, given that the people who have offered to house you are states away.
This element is all too prominent to not be considered. I'm still hoping to get enough housing to where it won't be too bad, but it does look as if I'll be having to bring a tent with me as of now, even with the (collapsible) bike I'm putting some of my budget towards. =/

..Just saying, if you can get more people in on this crazy awesome journey, the better. It's totally doable and I'm rooting for you... If you do ever make it to WA, hit up SilentWolf. He's a chill dude and he let me and some guys just smash at his big *** house til like 4am and sleep on couches. Get better before you get to West Coast tho. NorCal, SoCal and WA smashers are ****.
Thanks, Mr. G! =p I really hope my time on the EC will be of great benefit, so we'll see where I stand skill-wise when the time rolls around for me to migrate westward. lol As for SW, I'll see if he's up for it!

foshio

Smash Journeyman
If you go to Vancouver and wanted to check out squamish and whistler (north of Vancouver awesome hiking/sight seeing) PM me and I can probably show you around and give you a place to stay for a day or two.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
If you go to Vancouver and wanted to check out squamish and whistler (north of Vancouver awesome hiking/sight seeing) PM me and I can probably show you around and give you a place to stay for a day or two.
This. There's a large and strong scene in BC and a lot of people can cover you for housing if you decide to come up! :D You could also visit Alberta if you want to play people closer to your level too. :awesome:

Toronto would also be amazing!

Top Bottom