• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash-Packing - The Official Backpacking Thread

Blu

Smash Apprentice
`

Smash-Packing
[Backpacking: Melee Style]

POSTPONED!

As you all have probably been under the impression of due to the level of inactivity, smash-packing has been put on hold until further notice. Aside from personal issues getting in the way of planning and progressing this idea, I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that it would be far more productive to advance my skills and gain a reputation in the smash community before I attempt something as invaluable as this.

This idea is far from dead and I still plan on going through with this, but making things harder on myself by attempting this too early would only dampen the fun and unforgettable experiences that something like this would undoubtedly bring.

So until we finally meet, enjoy yourselves guys. =]

This is one of those things where you record your journey for us to follow.

We'll see if this all comes to fruition.

GGs and GL.

The Star King

Smash Hero
This is one of those things where you record your journey for us to follow.
This. You should record every twist and turn of your grand journey. Then Melee Discussion can gather around the campfire and listen to Papa Blu tell his tale.

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
If you come through Indiana you could stay with me and we also have triweekly tournaments here as well.

GL man

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, guys. I'm gonna need all the luck I can get. =]

This. You should record every twist and turn of your grand journey. Then Melee Discussion can gather around the campfire and listen to Papa Blu tell his tale.
That was one of the many ideas I was considering, since I planned on throwing together a montage for you all anyway. To make this reality though, I'm going to need a decent camcorder and capture card ('cause what's good is a montage without game footage?). And right now all funds are going to food and water. =/

I'm not reading this thread until you left-align everything.
Is the centered text really that bad? I guess I could change it if I get enough feedback telling me to. Sorry, Bones. =[

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
You could use a portable game recorder instead of a capture card. That way you don't need to use a laptop / desktop. Or you could save money and just get the camcorder. That way you can record your journey and point the camcorder at the TV to record your matches.

Bones0

Smash Legend
It's not too bad when you have columns or something, but the page is too wide and you end up accidentally skipping over a bunch of lines. Not my thread though, so do whatever you want. lol

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
Rockenos reporting in to confirm housing =D
I should be available all summer too
Idk how long you can stay, but I have a lot of smash bros in the area and I bet you could crash with one of them for a night too or something/we all hang at their house

Also, I'm 17 turning 18 in summer too =D
So yeah, I'm right in downtown Atlanta, come by, stay and smash for a few days
I also offer occasional microwave snacks =D
Mad jelly of this mission, my parents would never let me plus I wouldn't have the balls or money to go it alone

EDIT: may actually join along if the stars align properly
In fact, I actual may know of another who might be interested...
Someone with...
A CAR
If I were to join, I would think the best thing would be for us to have a car and have it full (4-5 people) so we could split gas money and travel mad cheap. We could also sleep in it to some extent if we get screwed out of housing

Thing is though is we probably won't have enough money for it. What do you think the minimum budget would be to survive?
Cus honestly... I don't have a job or anything... I could sell some Magic cards and scoop up some easy money but they're my pride and joy XD
Then again, not a bad trade off

Scratch that, **** trading cards.
If I am able to go, I will. I'm gonna talk to my parents about this, I expect my budget to only be something like 500+ depending on how many cards I can sell. We'll see though.

Double edit: After some thought, we should try and stop by some card stores along the way for Friday Night Magic. It's basically a small tournament that is often free to enter and rewards top players with packs of Magic cards... which can usually be sold to players in attendance. Every Friday I could get to one of these, I could scoop up like 10 bucks in a couple hours, which could pay for my food for the next day
I would also possibly be able to sell cards there for moar cash
Some stores even buy cards, albeit at reduced prices. But it's a solid last resort if I'm running out of money towards the end

>Try to find ways to make money along the way because I will NOT place in a Smash tournament XD

t3h Icy

Smash Master
This is awesome! Good luck and stay safe!

Come up to Canada too! :D

Blu

Smash Apprentice
What parts of the midwest are you hitting up?
I don't have any housing in the midwest as of yet, but in the southwest--specifically AZ--I've talked with a few people who may be up for it. I haven't talked to the big AZ players like Axe, Taj, or Tai, but I have easy connections to them already; I'll have answers from the soon enough. ^-^

In direct response to your question, we're headed to anywhere and everywhere there's available space.

may actually join along if the stars align properly
As I stated in the last thread, f***ing amazing. And a car? Too legit! I'm sorry to say that I won't be able to help with gas prices unless, like you mentioned, we all find some ways to make money along the way. If I find something piano-related I could easily pick that up. I've played piano for a long time, so yeah.

I can't fathom how much more exciting this would be with multiple people. Some ways made much easier (some slightly more difficult), but overall things would be easier to handle. I'm also starting to realize how lonely it's going to be between destinations if I end up going alone. =/

Let me know as soon as you can what your plan is! ^-^

Come up to Canada too! :D
Idk if that would be possible... I'd need to get a passport first.

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
As I stated in the last thread, f***ing amazing. And a car? Too legit! I'm sorry to say that I won't be able to help with gas prices unless, like you mentioned, we all find some ways to make money along the way. If I find something piano-related I could easily pick that up. I've played piano for a long time, so yeah.

I can't fathom how much more exciting this would be with multiple people. Some ways made much easier (some slightly more difficult), but overall things would be easier to handle. I'm also starting to realize how lonely it's going to be between destinations if I end up going alone. =/

Let me know as soon as you can what your plan is! ^-^

How are you paying for public transportation? Or are you literally walking/hitchhiking the whole way? Or random third option? Those are generally pretty cool
Yeah, housing might become more difficult to come by, but also between us we'll have more relatives along the way to crash with =D
I have some in South Carolina that would house forever... I think that's it tho actually :(

But yeah, I'll talk to my parents about this and see how opposed they are to it (I wouldn't care usually but I think I might be able to get like upwards of 200 bucks from them for birthday money, so I'd like to stay on their good side XD)

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
it's still a 'maybe' for getting housing from me btw. im going to be very busy this summer with only a few weekends off. if you happen to be traveling upstate / near WI or something, let me know and i'll see if i can house you. otherwise you could ask people in eau claire such as yoshq or crossfadingrage if you can stay with them. or ask people in madison as there are a lot more WI smashers in madison

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I've wanted to do this for a while, but it's not been a realistic option for me so far. This should be interesting to follow, though.

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
How long do you expect this to take? Need to get an estimate how how much cash I should bring.
Hitchhiking could cause a lot of delays (And possible robbings, better not carry all that money in cash lol), and Idk if I have the cash to go on for too long. Maybe I should just come along for part lol, the problem with having a bro with a car is that we can't stop paying for the car at any point... if it came we'd have to sustain it. Which would suck.

EDIT: To contact me directly, my facebook is facebook.com/rockenos
I check Facebook multiple times a day and it is by far my best contact method. If any others are needed, pm me =D
DOUBLE EDIT AGAIN LOL: Maybe check out places to camp? I think most charge some kind of fee but if there are literally any free ones a tent might become worth bringing. It could also help with people who might be on the edge of letting you crash, you can just say you'll camp out in their yard lol

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I know you love smash and all, but hitchhiking across the country without any money doesn't seem like a wise decision homie. Living like a hobo is rough. Shocking, I know.

You haven't even been to a tourney yet? Yeah...how bout you go to one first before attempting something so reckless and dangerous...

/wordsOfWisdom

Blu

Smash Apprentice
I know you love smash and all, but hitchhiking across the country without any money doesn't seem like a wise decision homie. Living like a hobo is rough. Shocking, I know.

You haven't even been to a tourney yet? Yeah...how bout you go to one first before attempting something so reckless and dangerous...

/wordsOfWisdom
Although backpacking is a drastic contrast to how we live today, I wouldn't say it falls under the category of "hobo" if one is well-prepared. Neither am I going broke; I may not work, but I'm slowly saving up.

If you're recommending I head to a tournament so as to discover my skill level and how much I suck, I know where I stand in that aspect. For only having played "enlightened" for only approximately a year and a half, I've had several good players tell me I'm decent and improving. People like Mofo, Mooney, and others. Sure, I'm not amazing, but I understand the game well and know what it takes to get better.

Smooth-sailing? No. Reckless? Maybe. But courage isn't the absence of fear, just the realization that what you're doing is greater than the fear you may have.

But I truly appreciate your warning, and I'll take it to heart. =]

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Well for starters, I think it'd probably be beneficial to be actually a part of the community that you are entrusting your entire livelihood with for an entire year or whatever.

Hint: there are some grimy people in this world, and you're a 17 year old kid. The Smash community on the whole is super inviting and friendly, but it should be pretty telling that we went 29 posts without telling you that you should probably think this through. What do your parents think of this plan?

Massive

Smash Champion
Hitchhiking is actually relatively safe in the US, especially since you aren't a girl.
I still recommend having access to some emergency cash in an online account that you can use to buy a bus ticket home if necessary (Something like paypal where you can access your money from anywhere without a card). That way if you somehow lose all of your possessions you won't be totally screwed as long as you can get internet access.

I also highly recommend picking out a few summer tournaments and seeing if you can hitch rides with people back to their homes from there, it would probably be a lot safer than randomly walking down the road with your thumb out.

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Well for starters, I think it'd probably be beneficial to be actually a part of the community that you are entrusting your entire livelihood with for an entire year or whatever.

Hint: there are some grimy people in this world, and you're a 17 year old kid. The Smash community on the whole is super inviting and friendly, but it should be pretty telling that we went 29 posts without telling you that you should probably think this through. What do your parents think of this plan?
When it comes to those I'm looking to stay with, I plan on investigating them so far as to see they're trustworthy. But you're right, there are those who walk along the street with me who I don't know as well. I'm not a scrawny kid, but I'm no muscle champ either. Starting last week, I've been doing my best to put on weight and prepare my body for the endurance I'm going to be needing, no doubt. I also have other backups for when/if I'm confronted.

My parents didn't support me in the least at first. But after about a week of casual talk with them on the topic, it's more of an indifference now. Now they're actually giving me tips on how to stay safe. And when you think about it, this trip--while ultimately being for a training of sorts--could be a chance to change people's ideas about this community, to show just how far some people will go for each other if they share the same ideals.

Hitchhiking is actually relatively safe in the US, especially since you aren't a girl.
This.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
AskeLink (NorwegianLink on smashboards) is going to do the same in Europe in February/March (not sure about these monthes).
I guess he'll be able to give you a few advices learnt from his experience ;)

Anyway, great project :)

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
When it comes to those I'm looking to stay with, I plan on investigating them so far as to see they're trustworthy. But you're right, there are those who walk along the street with me who I don't know as well. I'm not a scrawny kid, but I'm no muscle champ either. Starting last week, I've been doing my best to put on weight and prepare my body for the endurance I'm going to be needing, no doubt. I also have other backups for when/if I'm confronted.

My parents didn't support me in the least at first. But after about a week of casual talk with them on the topic, it's more of an indifference now. Now they're actually giving me tips on how to stay safe. And when you think about it, this trip--while ultimately being for a training of sorts--could be a chance to change people's ideas about this community, to show just how far some people will go for each other if they share the same ideals.
Well, it looks like you are dead-set on it then.

Good luck, but just remember to be safe..

Massive

Smash Champion
And when you think about it, this trip--while ultimately being for a training of sorts--could be a chance to change people's ideas about this community, to show just how far some people will go for each other if they share the same ideals.
As much of a warm fuzzy thought as all of this is, it's still a daunting undertaking. You have not been in this community for very long, and you may very well run into doubts about the point of your trip and your future as a smash player altogether.

Especially as a new player, you're probably not going to win much at all as you travel, especially against some of the best in the business. Have you played anybody that was not only better than you, but feels almost insurmountably better? It can be a really crushing feeling.

Make no mistake about any of this:
You are not really "training" for anything. You will very likely get a bit better at smash but realize that being good at smash brothers is a hobby, not a life skill. You are likely going to leave this being much worse off financially than before, a decent trade perhaps for stories of travel.

Not trying to be a buzzkill, just a realist.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
ehy, if you can, you should try to hit up NEOH :D
but don't come up here if you have no place to stay...
because its not safe.
there be some scary black dudes <_<
they stole my 3ds

We need crush in here to give you his blessing. With his blessing, your trip will be guaranteed success and maybe 38000 rupees too.

Top Bottom