• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brothers tournament Aug 20th!! Columbus Ohio! Cash Payout!

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm calling out the both of you in 64!

My prediction. . . . . . . close match?
MM Vudu? You might be Mr. Big **** almost-beat-hungrybox-that-one-time in melee, but ain't no way you can take me in 64.

In fact, I might weegee ditto you for ****s and giggles. I'm god at that MU.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
With the sheer amount of players apparently appearing and a $15 venue on top of it, you guys should be questioning the payout for winner.

Unless 1st gets $100 plus whatever the payout split is, this almost doesn't seem worth it. And what does 2-through-whatever get? Just going to throw that out there.

Rules never really specify (yet). Oh, and get stuff recorded. Especially Vudujin vs Gio vs Battlecow in 64.

:phone:

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'll let you melee guys question it lol

Doubt we're going to get enough players for 64 to make 1st more than $100

Yeah, unless they actually have to pay for the venue (I think it's run by the game store so...) the $20-$30 from each person is definitely gonna add up to more than $300. + what they get from NOS, the sponsor...

But they'll probably add some on to the $100 and give some to 2nd and 3rd as well.

And if anyone has a recording setup, I'd treasure lasting proof of my victory over Gio.

FlipX

Smash Ace
When I asked earlier, dempt said they paid 2nd-3rd so im assuming he called them or pm'd the guy about it. I haven't actually seen it posted anywhere.

Also how many set ups are people bringing? Don't particularly want to be playing on HD TVs haha

Battlecow

Play to Win
They said they'd allow us to bring 4 set-ups, and that we'd have to play some on their LCD TV's.

Looks like I'll be bringing one for 64

IDK about who else

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I can stand LCD TVs as long as they aren't HD... because then it gets real laggy...

but yea, why are you making us play on LCDs? we could just bring out own lol.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
woah woah, lcd tvs? are you serious? Step it up guys we're gonna need at least 6 CRTs

seriously LCDs are going to kill attendance (especially future attendence) here. Tell them they are going to get a much bigger show this time and in the future if they let us bring in CRTs. I won't be showing up if i have to play any tournament matches on an LCD, and I will be informing the people i've advertised this to about the LCDs also

Gamers2pro

Smash Cadet
I can stand LCD TVs as long as they aren't HD... because then it gets real laggy...

but yea, why are you making us play on LCDs? we could just bring out own lol.
The LCD tv's are already in place and there isn't room for everyone to bring their own tv's

Gamers2pro

Smash Cadet
If we have a low turn out at this one we will never run a Smash brothers tournament again, we are trying out best LCD tv's are the wave of the future for gaming. If you guys are ok with some little kid taking the 300$ then thats on you.

These are the rules and they are in place, 4 CRT tv's setups and the rest on LCD tv's. There will not be anyone allowed to wait for a CRT to open up. We call your name u will have to play on the tv assigned.

We hope you guys will open your minds and make the adjustments, we are advertising locally to so it should be a great turn out either way. See ya there!

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm definitely coming to this one instead of the columbus one... seems like this one will have more comp anyway.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Gio/Vudu/other guy- The MM's are, of course, going to be played on a CRT

Gamers2pro- Please realize, this isn't us being ungrateful ***holes. LCD TV's add delay that makes 64 very hard to play properly, and which makes Melee completely unplayable at a high level. They are definitely not the future of gaming with respect to melee and 64- people will use up the existing CRT's and turn to emulation before they consent to playing a ridiculously crippled game at high-level tourneys.

That said, I'm still showing up 'cause I can beat y'all regardless of delay and because I like money.

Gamers- we'd also like answers visavis just how much prize money will be distributed. since entry fees will total more than $300 and NOS is apparently giving you some money too, and since you don't really have venue costs, $300 doesn't seem like quite enough. Will there be 2nd and 3rd place prizes? How will the money be distributed? If you're just giving out $300, where's the rest of the cash going?

And can you really not move some of those LCD's? Are they bolted in place or something?

Gamers2pro

Smash Cadet
Gio/Vudu/other guy- The MM's are, of course, going to be played on a CRT

Gamers2pro- Please realize, this isn't us being ungrateful ***holes. LCD TV's add delay that makes 64 very hard to play properly, and which makes Melee completely unplayable at a high level. They are definitely not the future of gaming with respect to melee and 64- people will use up the existing CRT's and turn to emulation before they consent to playing a ridiculously crippled game at high-level tourneys.

That said, I'm still showing up 'cause I can beat y'all regardless of delay and because I like money.

Gamers- we'd also like answers visavis just how much prize money will be distributed. since entry fees will total more than $300 and NOS is apparently giving you some money too, and since you don't really have venue costs, $300 doesn't seem like quite enough. Will there be 2nd and 3rd place prizes? How will the money be distributed? If you're just giving out $300, where's the rest of the cash going?

And can you really not move some of those LCD's? Are they bolted in place or something?
What u guys do not know is we are trying to see what games we want to make as a base for some future BIG tournaments now that we have NOS is our corner. If Smash has a small showing then we will move on to the next game.

Rules have been set with the TV'S they will not be played on HD, thats all we can do.

Adding to the payout already all depends on if our costs are covered, if they are not, we will not add more to the payout.

Make the adjustment and come get this easy money boys!

Battlecow

Play to Win
Adding to the payout already all depends on if our costs are covered, if they are not, we will not add more to the payout.

Make the adjustment and come get this easy money boys!
See, I appreciate the fact that you're getting together a tournament for us, but-

1. What exactly are your "costs"? Do you have to pay people to organize the tourney? Do you have to rent your own game store?

2. Why, exactly, are you incapable of moving the LCD TV's to another room or something (I'll come early and help out if you need me to, I'm sure other people will too) and letting us replace them with CRT's, which would make it a competitive tourney as opposed to a silly one (I really can't overstate how much this matters in terms of gameplay)?

I ask, because if you continue this way, it would behoove the melee players to have someone host a separate tourney nearby, with fewer mysterious "costs" soaking up the money and without completely unbearable input delay. Possibly 64 too, depending on the size of the 64 turnout. Those future "big" tourneys would be laughed at if played in delay because trust me, it's kind of a big deal, and having NOS on your side doesn't really make a difference if you're taking in $600 and paying out $300.

Again, I'm not trying to be ungrateful. I'm just telling you how things are.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
lol @ Gamers2pro

you have to cater to the attendees to expect a decent turnout, not the other way around buddy

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
one thing you need to understand is that this is on the same day as another tourney close by. This tourney has allot more potential and allot more hype for melee and 64 that the other one, so you'd probably cover all the costs but the LCD is going to bother allot of people, again, I am fine with LCD, but more technical players may get ****ed up, depending on the tv.

and if you are looking to host big tourneys, a smash tourney is a good thing, lots of players will turn up, but you need to make it appeal to them. are you sure you can't allow us to bring a few more CRTs? What is the size of the room? Have you also had somebody test the lag on the TVs (somebody who actually plays smash) to see how bad they lag?

I will come regardless, I'd just like to know a little more. but yea, this tourney has hype, and you'll get people to show up... just not as many as you could if more people could bring setups.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
What u guys do not know is we are trying to see what games we want to make as a base for some future BIG tournaments now that we have NOS is our corner.
Ummmmmm Smash. . . duh. . . . there were like 12 people within minutes who complained about lag on LCD. If we have CRTs, you will have a huge melee crowd. Caddy's don't hand a golfer a bent driver and tell him to "make the adjustment, Tiger" I understand you already have the LCD setups in place, but we could swap out the ones intended for melee with CRTs. NOS isn't gonna strangle anyone for that. There's no loss with a swapout or at least having enough component cables.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
What is this nearby tournament? R-K-G doesn't have 64.
sorry, I was talking about that lol. I was speaking for melee and brawl there...
but still, I'd like to go to this over r-k-g, and i probably will, but the TVs right now are a meh, I'd like to know just how bad they lag, I'm used to playing on LCD, and my LCD has very minimal lag, but I'd prefer to play on CRT.

so yea, I might call up this matt guy soon. i haven't gotten around to it yet :\

DippnDots

Feral Youth
gamers2pro, we don't expect you to know the difference between LCD and CRT when it comes to melee. So let me give you a run down. In smash, a frame is a 60th of a second, average human reaction time is 3/10s of a second, you need to be able to react and input multiple commands all in under one second. LCD tv's lag with, practically every console out right now actually, and especially with melee, you can send an input and not see it come up for half a second afterwords (that statistic is off my head but seems right).

What you should take away from this more than my post is that everyone here, on the largest forum for super smash competitive scene, will tell you that LCD's ruin tournament play for smash. Brawl being a possible exception.

At the very least, put the quarter finals through grand finals matches on the CRTs, you'll only need 4 tvs for those matches anyways.

And let me ask you this, if future tournaments are based on the turnout for this one, if we do give you a good turnout will you in turn make future events use CRTs? If not I don't see a reason for us to show at all.

Edit: You have my couch 1der, and my bow, and my axe.

Battlecow

Play to Win
battlecow i hope you've got your $100 donation ready
You seem to have a lot of fans. You must be pretty good for a local scrub. I'm going to enjoy this SO much.

Also I might be taking the megabus in which case lugging a TV along would be hard, so four of y'all should bring CRT's.

Top Bottom