• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
That would be pretty Epic actually. ^^ Though I meant it when I didn't really know what you meant, though I can of course go find it myself. So, thank you, Nay Day~
'wrap up' as in he gathered all the Direct info and put it into his Week in Review thread! like wrapped up...as in a present maybe?
Why does English have so many of these whatever-they're-called? Expressions?

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yes, he is quite winded from rapping about the Direct.
@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom now you need to actually rap one week.
My threads be wrappin' up
Like throwing a Deku Nut
Hanging with my girl Zero Suit Samus
Spread out like an artistic furtustic canvas
And my frog Greninja be hoppin'
And my green boy Yoshi be rompin'.,,,

Yeah, I am horrible at rapping.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
'wrap up' as in he gathered all the Direct info and put it into his Week in Review thread! like wrapped up...as in a present maybe?
Why does English have so many of these whatever-they're-called? Expressions?
I thought so, haha. Don't worry, I get it now. Thank you. :)

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Got an idea. I think that the clip with customised moves gave some hints. Marth used Ikes forward B, Pits arrow functioned like Ness/Lucas up B (or just heavily increased controll and a bit slowed down version of his own neutral B), Kirby's Inhale did Ice damage and freezed like the Ice Climbers' Down B (thx Logsmash, forgot this one) and at first Marios fireball functioned like something I dont recognise(?) and then like a combination of fox-falcos or neutral B's (or possibly megamans crash bomb combined with fox shot, fast projectile like megaman bomb and straight damage hit with no flinch á la Fox blaster. Cause the fireballs shot seemed to have a very similar style going throu the air, to megamans sticky bombs but with a different effect on hit).

I think the moves you have to play around with in custom movesets is versions or combinations off existing moves. Not ones you can create entirely new. Just modify existing ones.

Last edited:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Got an idea. I think that the clip with customised moves gave some hints. Marth used Ikes forward B, Pits arrow functioned like Ness/Lucas up B and at first Marios fireball functioned like something I dont recognise(?) and then like a combination of fox-falcos or neutral B's (or possibly megamans crash bomb combined with fox shot, fast projectile like megaman bomb and straight damage hit with no flinch á la Fox blaster. Cause the fireballs shot seemed to have a very similar style going throu the air, to megamans sticky bombs but with a different effect on hit).

I think the moves you have to play around with in custom movesets is versions or combinations off existing moves. Not ones you can create entirely new. Just modify existing ones.
That makes sense, I don't see how they'd be able to design it so you could do whatever you wanted with a given move. Like, changing Kirby's Inhale so it does Ice damage and freezes like the Ice Climbers' Down B, or the examples you gave above, are all things that exist in the game already. I'm guessing each move in the customization mode (depending on what it looks like) will have a sort of drop-down menu so you can change some property about the move.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I took a few days to see how I felt about it, and I'm giving it a 9. (if you had asked me right after the direct, it probably would have been in the 6-7 range)

The pros for it were:
Details about the online mode, which looks great
Sakurai finally showing some interest in the tournament community (hurray!)
Character reworks specifically stated to help the game's balance
All the info on items and stages
The Smash Run mode, which solidified a day 1 3ds version purchase for me, which I hadn't planned on buying.
The highly intriguing move customization... here's hoping for DIY game balancing.
Megaman...just because
Villager looking OP as anything

The cons were:
Kind of lame newcomer (I don't have a problem with him being in, and expected a new poke at some point, but I really don't think I could care less)
Wii U version coming 2nd... Think this is a horrible move on Ninty's part.
The Mewtwo fakeout.
WFT looking lamer than I expected/hoped

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I took a few days to see how I felt about it, and I'm giving it a 9. (if you had asked me right after the direct, it probably would have been in the 6-7 range)

The pros for it were:
Details about the online mode, which looks great
Sakurai finally showing some interest in the tournament community (hurray!)
Character reworks specifically stated to help the game's balance
All the info on items and stages
The Smash Run mode, which solidified a day 1 3ds version purchase for me, which I hadn't planned on buying.
The highly intriguing move customization... here's hoping for DIY game balancing.
Megaman...just because
Villager looking OP as anything

The cons were:
Kind of lame newcomer (I don't have a problem with him being in, and expected a new poke at some point, but I really don't think I could care less)
Wii U version coming 2nd... Think this is a horrible move on Ninty's part.
The Mewtwo fakeout.
WFT looking lamer than I expected/hoped
I just want to point out on your cons, Im not saying that youre wrong but:
Everyone I have talked to that has seen Greninja absolutely digs him
Im sure the reason the Wii-U version is coming out second is because its going to have way more content in store than the 3DS version
Everyone believed that it was Mewtwo, so I dont see what the complaint is here, unless youre a Mewtwo supporter, in that case my condolences
This Direct made me like WFT trainer, when I had doubted her before

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Not sure if any of you noticed, but I think you can see Palutena's Temple's Final Destination stage during Pit's move showcase (specifically around 22:13). It makes the stage actually resemble more its original appearance from the battle against Palutena in Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I also wonder if past stages will have Final Destination stages...

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am a little concerned that Palutena's Temple looks like it is way bigger than New Pork City... and most people disliked that stage.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I just want to point out on your cons, Im not saying that youre wrong but:
Everyone I have talked to that has seen Greninja absolutely digs him
Im sure the reason the Wii-U version is coming out second is because its going to have way more content in store than the 3DS version
Everyone believed that it was Mewtwo, so I dont see what the complaint is here, unless youre a Mewtwo supporter, in that case my condolences
This Direct made me like WFT trainer, when I had doubted her before
Eh Greninja is the meh pokemon to me. I felt the same about Lucario before Brawl. To be clear, I'm not upset that he's in the game or whatever, and I don't think it's wrong if he took somebody else's spot or anything like that. I just don't care about him. I understand that's just me.

Regarding the WiiU version, if the fine print posted earlier is to be believed, the WiiU version will be out in Australia this summer while the 3ds ver is coming in Winter... This means that the delay has very little to do with completing the game (unless they're going to update the australian version later), and is just based on scheduling... I really think they have it wrong if that's the case.

the complaint is that it was made specifically to make everybody believe it was Mewtwo at first. That kind of troll doesn't sit too well with me.

Eh to each his own. WFT looked more exciting from the e3 presentation than she does now (although I admittedly really like her 'crawl')

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Eh Greninja is the meh pokemon to me. I felt the same about Lucario before Brawl. To be clear, I'm not upset that he's in the game or whatever, and I don't think it's wrong if he took somebody else's spot or anything like that. I just don't care about him. I understand that's just me.

Regarding the WiiU version, if the fine print posted earlier is to be believed, the WiiU version will be out in Australia this summer while the 3ds ver is coming in Winter... This means that the delay has very little to do with completing the game (unless they're going to update the australian version later), and is just based on scheduling... I really think they have it wrong if that's the case.

the complaint is that it was made specifically to make everybody believe it was Mewtwo at first. That kind of troll doesn't sit too well with me.

Eh to each his own. WFT looked more exciting from the e3 presentation than she does now (although I admittedly really like her 'crawl')
Australia's Summer is our Winter mate. It's getting released at the same time. I made the same mistake to begin with.

;)

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

Thats cool, with Greninja and all

I think Australia has their seasons switched, like when its their summer, its our winter.

Sakurai is a troll, get used to it :laugh:

I guess if you dont like WFT, thats cool too, but Ims saying theres got to be more people who think that shes going to be awesome.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Australia's Summer is our Winter mate. It's getting released at the same time. I made the same mistake to begin with.

;)
lol well...

I guess if you dont like WFT, thats cool too, but Ims saying theres got to be more people who think that shes going to be awesome.
I thought this was supposed to be my personal ranking of the direct?
I haven't been outwardly complaining about anything.. just stating my reasons. no reason to be upset

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
People think Sakurai is a troll. Well, there are other game creators that are much bigger trolls than him. Notably Hideo Kojima.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
People think Sakurai is a troll. Well, there are other game creators that are much bigger trolls than him. Notably Hideo Kojima.
who is really good friends with sakurai probs y they get a long so well there both trolls :p.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Not sure if any of you noticed, but I think you can see Palutena's Temple's Final Destination stage during Pit's move showcase (specifically around 22:13). It makes the stage actually resemble more its original appearance from the battle against Palutena in Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I also wonder if past stages will have Final Destination stages...
Digging through the footage, and it looks like you're right. On the regular stage that platform in the top right but is normally surrounded by grass you can walk on. During that time there is no grass on the sides, which means it's different. You can also see it during the Chain Chomp section assist trophy showcase, and when WFT is beating up Link during her showcase.

Also, when they show Xerneas, its standing on that same platform, and Xerneas is actually so big that it covers about 1/3rd of it. Did not realize Xerneas was that big.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Digging through the footage, and it looks like you're right. On the regular stage that platform in the top right but is normally surrounded by grass you can walk on. During that time there is no grass on the sides, which means it's different. You can also see it during the Chain Chomp section assist trophy showcase, and when WFT is beating up Link during her showcase.

Also, when they show Xerneas, its standing on that same platform, and Xerneas is actually so big that it covers about 1/3rd of it. Did not realize Xerneas was that big.
I don't think it's Xerneas being that big. That platform looks smaller on the full version of the stage. (Or maybe you're right and it's the stage that is humongous in size.)

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm a little curious on how we'll do the multiple Final Destinations in competitive games. After all, what's below the platform seems to vary on each of them.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I don't think it's Xerneas being that big. That platform looks smaller on the full version of the stage. (Or maybe you're right and it's the stage that is humongous in size.)
Yea it does looks smaller in the actual stage. I can try make a size comparison sometime later and check for sure.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So what is this 16 newcomers hinted theory I am hearing about?

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
So what is this 16 newcomers hinted theory I am hearing about?

There was this odd timestamp in the direct. If it means anything at all, the numbers could mean it comes out on August 1st, and there's 55 characters with 16 newcomers. 39 from Brawl(or if Ivysaur and Squirtle are cut then Mewtwo and Roy would work) plus 16 newcomers equals 55. I'm actually working on a roster that mixes this with the Gematsu leaks and the 4 trophies that were shown in the direct.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think that time stamp means absolutely nothing and was just a mistake by the team who recorded and produced the video.

There was this odd timestamp in the direct. If it means anything at all, the numbers could mean it comes out on August 1st, and there's 55 characters with 16 newcomers. 39 from Brawl(or if Ivysaur and Squirtle are cut then Mewtwo and Roy would work) plus 16 newcomers equals 55. I'm actually working on a roster that mixes this with the Gematsu leaks and the 4 trophies that were shown in the direct.

I put the the numbers into Google maps and ended up on interstate 55 in the tip of Missouri so that's not it.:psycho:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I think that time stamp means absolutely nothing and was just a mistake by the team who recorded and produced the video.
That's likely the case, but since the date is in Summer and the math checks out for the amount of characters and that tweet about there being something hidden in the direct, there's at least a small chance it means something.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

While interesting I doubt it means anything, although I am expecting 16 newcomers and a 55 character list. When you are done, I may have a few things to add to your list, if you don't mind, as I have a few theory's regarding what could be at least 8 newcomers hinted in the direct. Now as for that ridley comparison....

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
On the note of the timestamp, what day of the week do games usually come out in Japan? Would it just so happen to be Friday - the day of the week that August 1st is? If so, just some more conspiracy fodder.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
IT is almost offical

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68996063

Sakurai may have most definatly trolled us
lol the people in that thread. They're all over-analyzing it and saying "look! he's not that big!" but from the way I'm looking at it, he's like four times bigger than Fox. That's freaking huge! They're even using this as an example:

Ridley in purple, Fox in red

How can you look at that little red smoosh, of which I'd say in game Fox is pretty much average height, and think that that massive purple smoosh isn't gigantic? Even taking the wings out of the picture, his body alone is still nearly three to four times larger than Fox's.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
While interesting I doubt it means anything, although I am expecting 16 newcomers and a 55 character list. When you are done, I may have a few things to add to your list, if you don't mind, as I have a few theory's regarding what could be at least 8 newcomers hinted in the direct. Now as for that ridley comparison....
I'll wait until the next roster maker update to make it in picture form, but here's the list I have in mind:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Rosalina
DK
Diddy
King K. Rool
Yoshi
Wario
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Ghirahim
Toon Link
Samus
ZSS
Ridley
Pit
Palutena
Pikachu
Charizard
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario
Greninja
Marth
Roy
Ike
Chrom
Villager
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Ness
Lucas
Captain Falcon
Olimar
Shulk
Little Mac
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.
WFT
Mii
Chorus Men
Snake
Sonic
Mega Man
Pac-Man

As for explanations:

Bowser Jr.- I'm assuming the big 3 will have the same amount of characters, so for another Mario newcomer I think it would be between him and Paper Mario. The RPG series hasn't gotten very much representation(if at all) in the past, so I'm going with Bowser Jr.

King K. Rool- It's between him and Dixie, but I think the Kremlings appearing in Smash Run increases his chances.

Ghirahim- If the trophies shown in the direct are hints, then the Fi trophy could be hinting at a character from Skyward Sword.

Ridley- Sakurai's been trolling about Ridley since Pyrosphere was first shown, and the direct didn't really change that. There was also a trophy from Metroid shown.

Palutena-Sal's leak, picture leaks, and Pseudo Palutena trophy.

Mewtwo- If the timestamp actually means something, there has to be 39 veterans, and with Squirtle and Ivysaur likely cut, Mewtwo would be the likeliest to return from Melee.

Roy- See Mewtwo.

Chrom-Sal's leak, Fire Emblem trophy.

Shulk, Mii, Chorus Men, Pac-Man-Sal's leak

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Did the Xerneas size comparison and yea, that platform is much bigger as an FD skin, and Xerneas is way smaller than I thought.

Images

Here's Xerneas shrunken down to match the platform size during the regular stage. Pit and Villager are taken from this same shot.

Here, Xerneas is blown up to match the platform size when it's an FD skin. Most definitely not it's actual size as Pit is now much smaller in comparison.

Here is how big Xerneas actually is by comparing it to Villager. Much more believable.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'll wait until the next roster maker update to make it in picture form, but here's the list I have in mind:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Rosalina
DK
Diddy
King K. Rool
Yoshi
Wario
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Ghirahim
Toon Link
Samus
ZSS
Ridley
Pit
Palutena
Pikachu
Charizard
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario
Greninja
Marth
Roy
Ike
Chrom
Villager
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Ness
Lucas
Captain Falcon
Olimar
Shulk
Little Mac
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.
WFT
Mii
Chorus Men
Snake
Sonic
Mega Man
Pac-Man

As for explanations:

Bowser Jr.- I'm assuming the big 3 will have the same amount of characters, so for another Mario newcomer I think it would be between him and Paper Mario. The RPG series hasn't gotten very much representation(if at all) in the past, so I'm going with Bowser Jr.

King K. Rool- It's between him and Dixie, but I think the Kremlings appearing in Smash Run increases his chances.

Ghirahim- If the trophies shown in the direct are hints, then the Fi trophy could be hinting at a character from Skyward Sword.

Ridley- Sakurai's been trolling about Ridley since Pyrosphere was first shown, and the direct didn't really change that. There was also a trophy from Metroid shown.

Palutena-Sal's leak, picture leaks, and Pseudo Palutena trophy.

Mewtwo- If the timestamp actually means something, there has to be 39 veterans, and with Squirtle and Ivysaur likely cut, Mewtwo would be the likeliest to return from Melee.

Roy- See Mewtwo.

Chrom-Sal's leak, Fire Emblem trophy.

Shulk, Mii, Chorus Men, Pac-Man-Sal's leak
wow this is literally my thoughts exactly after the direct. Just add a new Kirby rep. And maybe put chrom over roy, although I would love to have roy back.

Top Bottom