• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, 3pm PST!!

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Have people talked about the weird debug on the top left hand corner of the Zero Suit Samus scene at the end of the direct?

I think the japanese character on the right is hiragan for 'ri' (unsure), but the rest I can't tell at all. Anyone here know?

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
Have people talked about the weird debug on the top left hand corner of the Zero Suit Samus scene at the end of the direct?

I think the japanese character on the right is hiragan for 'ri' (unsure), but the rest I can't tell at all. Anyone here know?
Yeah, that's all I can tell. I'm not very fluent in kanji.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I am a little concerned that Palutena's Temple looks like it is way bigger than New Pork City... and most people disliked that stage.
I think that was mostly due to the fact that a lot of New Pork City was empty space and random platforms. This new one seems more put together and interesting to look at. Only things that bother me are the bottom right corner that will inevitably never be visited and the bottom left corner that people will end up fighting half the time. I could be wrong about the right corner though, I always found myself fighting on that small platform in the bottom right of Temple.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541

According to Gamexplains newest vid, it's apparently something from a debug mode. Also that last character is both the hiragana and katakana for "ri." Don't know much kanji though.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
I'm a little curious on how we'll do the multiple Final Destinations in competitive games. After all, what's below the platform seems to vary on each of them.
Was thinking about this one too. For tournament play this have to be thought over. It would be silly if you had to ban every FD-stage as an individual. I guess the one picking FD would just get too chose wich version? Or if FD is picked the baning stage would start over from there, so people got a chance to ban versions of FD. Gonna be something new atleast, thats for sure.
lol the people in that thread. They're all over-analyzing it and saying "look! he's not that big!" but from the way I'm looking at it, he's like four times bigger than Fox. That's freaking huge! They're even using this as an example:

Ridley in purple, Fox in red

How can you look at that little red smoosh, of which I'd say in game Fox is pretty much average height, and think that that massive purple smoosh isn't gigantic? Even taking the wings out of the picture, his body alone is still nearly three to four times larger than Fox's.
I found it quite intriguing though, when they pointed out that the biggest part of the Ridley shadow is from his huge wings and most of the shadow is on the z-axis (wich we don't play on, since this isn,t a 3D-fighter). Still, I think this Ridley speculation is going abit over board. Oh well, it's pretty fun too waste time on anyways. ^^

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Noticed that Villager's Final Smash is called Dream Home in some regions and Housewarming Party in others.
picofday.png

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Housewarming Party was the name of the Villager's Final Smash in the UK version.
And Australia. I guess dream home is for NTSC and housewarming is for PAL

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Noticed that Villager's Final Smash is called Dream Home in some regions and Housewarming Party in others.
View attachment 12050
Housewarming Party was the name of the Villager's Final Smash in the UK version.
The European Direct also called the Wii U Kid Icarus stage "Skyworld" instead of "Palutena's Temple". While both names are correct, I think the "Skyworld" name may cause confusion with the Brawl stage, so I hope they change it to Palutena's Temple.

Then again, we've had 3 stages called Yoshi's Island so it's not a big deal.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
And Australia. I guess dream home is for NTSC and housewarming is for PAL

In Spanish Direct, it says "La casa de mis sueños", which means "The house of my dreams". So it seems "dreamhouse" is the name that other European languages are going to adapt.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I would love Prince Fluff so much.
I think he is more likely because a yarn Kirby alternate would not make sense as his moves would need to be completely. So prince fluff would fill this role perfectly. Still bandanna dee would be awesome to. I like him a lot but feel prince fluff is more likely. Especially since he was suppose to be the only one in epic yarn, since it originally was not a Kirby game.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It seems that no one pointed that out but in smash run, you can get an uprade that is a star shining in multiple color considering how city trail had an uprade like this which uprades all, I can assume that it's an all uprade (there's a point in the direct where you can see it)

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh yeah did anybody else notice luigi was basically used as a punchingbag? I found quite funny. Also if sakurai based a whole mode based on a Kirby game then I am pretty sure we will see a new Kirby rep since he loves his creations so much.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Oh yeah did anybody else notice luigi was basically used as a punchingbag? I found quite funny. Also if sakurai based a whole mode based on a Kirby game then I am pretty sure we will see a new Kirby rep since he loves his creations so much.
We Pit fans noticed the same thing. Apparently even our veterans aren't sacred.
As far as Kirby reps, I expect MetaKnight to come back, but I don't expect any new reps.

GamerTimeUS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WinningAlex13
I think that was mostly due to the fact that a lot of New Pork City was empty space and random platforms. This new one seems more put together and interesting to look at. Only things that bother me are the bottom right corner that will inevitably never be visited and the bottom left corner that people will end up fighting half the time. I could be wrong about the right corner though, I always found myself fighting on that small platform in the bottom right of Temple.
Yea, this stage looks for thought out

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Something I wanted to do for a while, but I haven't gotten a chance to do it: My thoughts.
  • I said a while back that Smash could come out in Summer. Good to see I was half right. One thing of interest is how will the roster be done. Will we know the entire roster before the Wii U game comes out. Or maybe they will release characters as free DLC and have the roster finish when the Wii U game releases.
  • The Wii U game's stage are kind of big. Garden of Home, Windy Hill, Boxing Arena all look large. Even not so big stages seem much bigger than those in Brawl. I like smaller stages as they make the fight more hetic. I don't mind some big stages, but a lot of them seem larger. So far, the 3DS game has more interesting stages.
  • There are a lot of stages were don't know about. The 3DS game will be out in 4 months, and we haven't seen a DK, Metroid, Yoshi, Kirby, or Starfox stages, not to mention the other series with out a character shown off yet and Pikmin. Same is true for the Wii U version in that we don't have a lot of stages. I do like how we had songs from Starfox, Kirby and Yoshi.
  • Online is interesting. The For Glory/For Fun is a good idea. Tournament players can play on a balanced stage without items and the rest of us wont have to worry about them trying to turn matches into FD, Fox only. Sakurai is even giving every stage an FD version. Can't say Sakurai doesn't like competitive players. Funny how they still complain.
  • I like how the kid had such a high score in the Global Smash Power.
  • The Yellow Devil idea is actually really cool. It look like Find Mii might do this too. The only thing is that this may not work out too well if there are too many stages do this. I think it's fun for a stage or two, but most people will get tired if they have to fight a boss mid match. So, fun as long as it doesn't dominate many stages.
  • Ridley is curious. If he is a boss, why not just show him off? I feel like something is amiss. I hope we'll figure out what's going on soon.
  • Items look fun. Only complaint is that they are almost ALL from Kid Icarus, Mario, and Zelda. Forget other series.
  • Didn't know Color TV Game 15 was a thing.
  • I am a bit upset that they are removing transformations. It's really what made those characters unique. Charizard's not really as interest as Pokemon Trainer, who was an awesome idea. GameXplain did make a good point that people usually played only one form. So someone would play Sheik and just Sheik. So it makes sense to based the character around how people play. Still, sucks to lose these abilities.
  • I like ZSS jet boots. My only worry is she doesn't seem to jump really high. It was cool how athletic she was. Made sense that she is super fast without a suit when she's pretty mobile with it.
  • Like how Kirby got an ability that was meant to be in Brawl. Good to see Sakurai bring back ideas.
  • Not sure how making Yoshi more upright makes him stronger. Brawl made him stand more upright. Not sure why this is such a big deal.
  • On Megaman's FS - I like how Nintendo give him more love than Capcom does. Might as well just sell the series to Nintendo at this point.
  • Best part of the direct
  • Smash Run was awesome. For those that never played City Trial, you missed out. Me and a friend always loved it. Now that I finally got another friend into it, we can start to be more aggressive, and it's fun as hell. With this mode, I suspect me and my friends will play it for a long time to come. The only thing is I wonder what the competition types will be. In City Trial, you would have High Jump, Kirbby Melee, Demolishon Derby, and Drag Race amoung others. Climb is a cool game, but I hope there will be others. Maybe Target Test or Race to the Finish or Kill a Bunch of Enemies.
  • Also, it seems they fixed one of the major issues with the SSE. People didn't like that the enemies weren't from Smash. This should make it more interesting. There is a good variety too. If Shunk is in, I hope Mechon will appear.
  • When I saw Greninja, I was so confused. He seemed like the most random Pokemon, but from what I've heard he's one of the most popular Pokemon from X and Y.
  • One interesting thing to note is that we have only 5 more starter characters that haven't been shown: Ice Climber, Meta-Knight, Wario, Ike and Lucas. It looks like Wario and Ice Climbers will come back based on what we've seen.
  • Sakurai is a baller making from of the "Directly to you."
  • The new characters. So it seemed off we only have 6 new characters and the game is 4 months away. I took a look back at the Brawl Website, and Ike wasn't shown until August 1st. The game wasn't originally going to come out until the end of November in Japan and December 3rd in the US. So that's about 4 months time. In that time, they shown Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Lucas, Sonic and King Dedede. I suspect Olimar was to be shown in November. So there may be quite a few characters left. We already have 29 characters, so the game is lookign good.
Well, that was a lot. Wonder if anyone really cares.......

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
  • I said a while back that Smash could come out in Summer. Good to see I was half right. One thing of interest is how will the roster be done. Will we know the entire roster before the Wii U game comes out. Or maybe they will release characters as free DLC and have the roster finish when the Wii U game releases.
  • Ridley is curious. If he is a boss, why not just show him off? I feel like something is amiss. I hope we'll figure out what's going on soon.
  • On Megaman's FS - I like how Nintendo give him more love than Capcom does. Might as well just sell the series to Nintendo at this point.
  • Smash Run was awesome. For those that never played City Trial, you missed out. Me and a friend always loved it. Now that I finally got another friend into it, we can start to be more aggressive, and it's fun as hell. With this mode, I suspect me and my friends will play it for a long time to come. The only thing is I wonder what the competition types will be. In City Trial, you would have High Jump, Kirbby Melee, Demolishon Derby, and Drag Race amoung others. Climb is a cool game, but I hope there will be others. Maybe Target Test or Race to the Finish or Kill a Bunch of Enemies.
Particularly agree with the quoted parts.
I really can't understand why they'd release the 3ds version so much earlier than the Wii u one if they don't have any other surprises... So I expect either a substantial number of other modes or dlc chars... Personally hoping for the latter.

I think that the direct increased Ridley's chances substantially.

Wow a Nintendo owned megaman is a crazy thought. I'm now imagining a megaman game from Retro...

Re: Smash Run.. Agreed 100%. City Trial was amazing. A couple friends and I had a heck of a good time with it.. Assuming smash run is as diverse and fun as city trial, it'll easily be my favorite side mode in smash

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
  • Online is interesting. The For Glory/For Fun is a good idea. Tournament players can play on a balanced stage without items and the rest of us wont have to worry about them trying to turn matches into FD, Fox only. Sakurai is even giving every stage an FD version. Can't say Sakurai doesn't like competitive players. Funny how they still complain.
I still complain because there are no platforms on the competitive stages.
Not only does it give an advantage to characters who are much better on a single plain (like IC and probably Little Mac) it invalidates any sort of skill involving platforms.

Last edited:

Poots

Smash Journeyman
I am a little concerned that Palutena's Temple looks like it is way bigger than New Pork City... and most people disliked that stage.
I think it will be much better than any other "large" stage we have gotten. The reason I say that is because not only is it well designed, but they made it as huge as possible, and that seems to be a good way of making those types stages more fun. As long as I don't have to fight "Team Pit" on that stage (oh please Sakurai don't do that:urg:) I think I'll be having a lot of fun on that stage.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I still complain because there are no platforms on the competitive stages.
Not only does it give an advantage to characters who are much better on a single plain (like IC and probably Little Mac) it invalidates any sort of skill involving platforms.
It's a mode where you play random Internet people... It's not like we were going to take it seriously anyway.

If you want more stages, add some friends and set the rules. For Glory will only be used when none of my friends are online and no tournament is going. Nobody should complain about it.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
So I was rewatching the Direct when I noticed this little tid bit:
upload_2014-4-12_23-34-24.png

Waluigi seems to be considered part of Warios World now, which means, hes a very likely second WarioWare rep for the next Smash....

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
In Spanish Direct, it says "La casa de mis sueños", which means "The house of my dreams". So it seems "dreamhouse" is the name that other European languages are going to adapt.

You know, you made me curious about any other changes in translation that might have happened so I just watched the direct in spanish to see what changed.

I found it funny how the online modes in Spanish/Japenese are actually called: "Fun Mode" and "Serious Mode" (Probably "For Glory" was a localization thing for the US/UK).

Also I like Sheik's Down-B name much more in Spanish/Japanese, Dolphin Jump/Kick sounds way much better than Bouncing Fish whatever.

Last edited:
Are there any popular Kirby reps besides Bandana Dee? Gooey would be cool, but I can't see it happening.
Gooey and an animal friend would be pretty great. Though Sakurai didn't develop those games, so he might not add them. But still, they both have a fantastic moveset potential

[COLLAPSE=Replace Kirby with Gooey in these, like he would as player 2 in DL3]

Dainty Duster
Rick can turn enemies to dust with clean power.

Boomerang Kirby
Rick can use the cutter ability, to toss Kirby like a sharp boomerang.

Beam Whip
With Spark, Rick can shoot a dangerous beam.

Rapid Fire Breath
With fire, Rick can exhale a beam of fire.

Frosty Snowman
With the ice ability, Rick and Kirby join to send of some chilly clouds of ice and freeze enemies.

Fur Spikes
With spike, Rick can cause his fur to become spikey.

Rolling Rock
With Rock, Rick turns into a ball of stone while Kirby balances on him as they roll around.

Balancing Act
With Parasol, Rick can throw Kirby up with Force on an umbrella.

[/COLLAPSE]

Cutter boomerang, rolling rock, snowman, beam whip, fur spikes. The moveset writes itself. Cutter, beam, and freeze are all classic Kirby moves not in Smash yet. Not only that but the benefit of having two characters in one is awfully tempting.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Another thing about the time stamp it occurs between sakurai saying "Check this out" and "Did you catch it?" which plays into the nintendo guy saying the fans missed something.
The "did you catch it?" seems so subliminal it has to have a deeper meaning, dat time stamp.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Another thing about the time stamp it occurs between sakurai saying "Check this out" and "Did you catch it?" which plays into the nintendo guy saying the fans missed something.
The "did you catch it?" seems so subliminal it has to have a deeper meaning, dat time stamp.
I'm pretty sure Sakurai was just asking if we noticed Samus didn't transform after her final smash..?

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I'm pretty sure Sakurai was just asking if we noticed Samus didn't transform after her final smash..?
I get the feeling people are reading into this direct way too much, and that Nintendo rep saying "you guys missed some stuff" isn't helping.

Maybe Sakurai hid stuff in the direct. He could be incredibly crafty. Or, if we look at things from the complete opposite end of the spectrum, perhaps he developed the direct to appeal the the common market. Showing Ridley's shadow might not have been a stab at Ridley fans. It also might not have been some incredible tease that Ridley was playable. It might have just been him going "boss characters can appear! we've shown you one, and there are more in the game, but who are they? here's a hint, but I'm not gonna tell you any more than that." Certainly this game is being developed for Nintendo fans, but do you think the direct was only aimed at them? Perhaps it was aimed at casual people as well, and maybe those people don't know who Ridley is.

I guess what I'm saying is I feel like we're all overanalyzing something that probably doesn't need to be overanalyzed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does Nintendo often hide stuff in their marketing or direct presentations? Do they have a history of viral marketing or leaving clues behind for people to figure stuff out? Not typically. Even with Brawl and the Dojo, I don't remember there being anything on Nintendo's part that was like leaving a clue for us to figure out. They seem to present tidbits of information to us to get us excited and we seem to overanalyze these bits as more than what they are: basic information and nothing more.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
You know, you made me curious about any other changes in translation that might have happened so I just watched the direct in spanish to see what changed.

I found it funny how the online modes in Spanish/Japenese are actually called: "Fun Mode" and "Serious Mode" (Probably "For Glory" was a localization thing for the US/UK).

Also I like Sheik's Down-B name much more in Spanish/Japanese, Dolphin Jump/Kick sounds way much better than Bouncing Fish whatever.
Yes. Nintendo almost always translates from Japanese and not from English (at least in case of Spanish language). Actually, there are some funny translations, such as minor characters and places. For example, in both Mario Galaxy games, Rosalina's name was Estela in Spanish (which means "trail of a comet") and Luma is actually named Destello (which means "flash"). In SSB4 official translation, this fighter name is "Estela y Destello". I think it's the same with French, German an Italian. In fact, German and French has different names for Pokémon species (Spanish and Italian versions use the English ones).

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I'd like to see a dialogue driven story borrowing the idea from Kid Icarus Uprising.

-removed- (wrong forum) um something relevant... do the different translations shed any light on comments thought to be cryptic?

Last edited by a moderator:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
do the different translations shed any light on comments thought to be cryptic?
I'm a bit rusty, but in the Swahili version, he says "Character is Ridley playable." Not quite sure what it means, but I'm sure it's nothing Re-Uploading Videos: The Channel GameXplain can't figure out :troll:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'd like to see a dialogue driven story borrowing the idea from Kid Icarus Uprising.

-removed- (wrong forum) um something relevant... do the different translations shed any light on comments thought to be cryptic?
That's why I watched it. No, apart from For Glory being called "Serious Mode" (which emphasizes that, yes, it was meant to be a nod to the "competitive" or "serious" comunity) there is just different names for different abilities.

He still says "Boss characters may appear on other stages as well" even in spanish. Which is kind of weird, why say "may"?

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
That's why I watched it. No, apart from For Glory being called "Serious Mode" (which emphasizes that, yes, it was meant to be a nod to the "competitive" or "serious" comunity) there is just different names for different abilities.

He still says "Boss characters may appear on other stages as well" even in spanish. Which is kind of weird, why say "may"?
Because Ridley will be revealed to be playable in May :troll:
No I hope that it just means that Stage Bosses are a toggle-able feature...

spader13

Smash Journeyman

I think it's a reference to the fact that they won't appear every time you play the stage and/or that they won't appear if you set the stage to Final Destination mode.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So this is what the roster would look like if we use the "time stamp theory" of 55 characters, 16 newcomers... meaning 39 vets.
I filled up the 16 newcomers with characters "leaked" by Sal. Which took care of all but four newcomers.
For the final four I used the two most popular, and a two former assist trophies, I suppose these characters are variable, and you can exchange them with your best prediction.
The black spot is for a Chorus men/ Rhythm Heaven rep.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wait...

What is this time stamp theory?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Apparently, if you pause on a certain moment of the Direct, you'll see a time stamp.

I think it's utterly meaningless and it was just a mistake by the team that prepared the video.
Oh yeah! GameExplain brought that up.

But what does that have to do with the characters?

Top Bottom