• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Canon Tournament! (Mario Vs. ????) - 06/14/10

JUDGE

Smash Lord
you can't really say who would win
gw is a gamesystem and rob a toy
they can't really fight each other like mario and link

PrinceRamen

Smash Lord
NNID
PrinceRamen
3DS FC
1590-4706-2476
R.O.B. can rip that piece of paper, or burn it.

R.o.b. gets my vote.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
G&W is in a game of his own console isn't it?
ROB is like a toy that probably couldn't move much.

so i'm saying G&W since he can actually move.

Koala

Smash Cadet
I will vote for R.O.B. just because he has that extra dimension to help him out a little bit.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Basically same argument for Wolf vs. Toon Link.

Bowser has to actually be close to do anything. Falco can just fire lasers and kill him, and if all else fails, go into his Arwing and kill him.

Vote for Falco

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Basically same argument for Wolf vs. Toon Link.

Bowser has to actually be close to do anything. Falco can just fire lasers and kill him, and if all else fails, go into his Arwing and kill him.

Vote for Falco
Falco, because of the reason stated above.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Bowser has minions and claws, of course he would win. Lady goomba could seduce the laser out of Falco's hand so it is basically obsolete.

justaway12

Smash Master
:goomba: Well Bowser has an Army, Bullet Bills, Spiked Link (Super Mario RPG) and Fireballs (Super mario bros.1, 3 etc.) so getting to Falco won't be hard but if Falco is in his Arwing will be very hard to attack since he can move around them and shoot him down. But i'm not an expert on Bowser or Falco so I can easily change my vote, but for now the best bet seem to be Falco. :goomba:

:goomba: Oh and Falco has his bread aswell. :goomba:

EDIT: Wait I change my vote to Bowser, assuming we can use items Bowser can just use the Stop Watch in Super Paper Mario to freeze Falco but IDK.

highfive

Smash Lord
i would say Falco. Falco seems to have a huge range on Bowser judging from everyone's opinion. And he has an eye patch type gadget. Sort of like a pirate. He would win. Yes.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'd have to vote for Lucas on this one.

While Yoshi is just a little dragon with eggs and fire...Lucas has PSI. No one better try that "olol lucas is acrybby" crap because he starts out a cry baby and gets tougher as he goes through his adventure. I guess I'm voting for him just for PSI, he can heal himself, etc. etc.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
lol, Lucas win this match for so many reasons that whoever votes Yoshi has never played Mother 3.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Yoshi because he has the super happy tree and everyone knows its actually a natural source of ecstacy.

Being in the vicinity of this drugged-out ******* will give an extreme contact high, rendering lucas into a stae of "super happyness" (high as a kite).

With his powerful psionic mind tripping out, he will implode due to some trippy energy backfire

REL38

Smash Lord
Yoshi's a big dinoaur that can't do all that much. His games have only shown him going up against lesser villians.

Lucas has PSI and all that jazz. Psyhic ability beats Yoshi since he won't be able to do anything against Lucas.

I vote Lucas

Sonic on the Rocks

Smash Lord
Oh hai, person from the old thread here.
Lucas wins.

Anyway, there's many a bone to be picked with the abilities of these characters.
For example, Kirby shouldn't be able to swallow most of these people, as Kirby is only 8 inches tall (Kirby's profile from Nintendo of Japan's website, roughly translated by Google Translate. Not a perfect translation, but 20 centimeters is listed under "dimensions" (since weight is after, it's reasonable to assume this is supposed to be height), which is roughly 8 inches tall. Here's the original, untranslated page: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nom/0003/miryoku/index.html).

Of course, that's invalid if you're counting the Smash Bros Series as one of everyone's games. Although that's rather problematic seeing as none of them are canon to each character's series, since the games are actually showing Trophies (or, in Smash 64, ragdolls) of the characters.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
The reasons for people winning these fights are for absurd.
For instance Sheik does not have needles at all, in fact Sheik has nothing other than what appears to be a deku nut, or a smoke bomb.
That's it.
Sheik shows nothing other than being able to escape Link and play music.
The Ice Climbers we know can at least attack. The conceptual ability of sheik is very vague, and to say she really has any true ability is going quite far on a limb.

Link > Mario anyday. Link has bombs, a bow and arrow, a hammer, a sword, a shield, a boomerang.. and what not? Mario's best bet on going even with Link is powering up with super mushrooms, and such. But "woohoo", Link has faced many monsters BIGGER and stronger the size of powered up Mario. I doubt Mario will pose much of a threat.
That's not exactly true.
If you don't recall Mario has RPG games in his franchise as well, where he is suitably stronger than his platforming counterparts, due to him having like Link, lots of items.
It's a clear bias or at least a lack of understanding to say Mario can't pose a threat.
For instance, Twilight princess Link is quite pathetic by Link standards, other than his hidden skills.
Had this been the ocarina or ALLTP counterpart it would be more interesting, but Twilight princess link couldn't beat the RPG Mario. Mario games are not solely platformers.

Metaknight has armour to protect him from Pikmin bites. Metaknight is fast in the air, and on the ground, he could get rid of Olimar quickly. Olimar doesn't stand a chance.
True to their games Metaknight is about 8 inches and Olimar is the size of a quarter.

This was probably the hardest battle for us to debate. Ness, Mewto, both physic beings. They both have telekinesis.. Ness can stop time, heal himself, has a rolling hp meter (so it's impossible for metwo to OHKO him by making his head explode), can paralyze Mewtwo, can blind Mewtwo, has a chance to OHKO him, has his own psychic offensive attack, has recovery psi, and has access to tons of healing items that fully replenish his pp. Mewtwo could do most of that as well. No one loses this match! Both characters move on to the winners bracket.
I disagree with this.
For one, to say Ness has rolling HP is a common statement, but it's not necessarily true.
If you pay attention to mother three all the playable characters in a battle have rolling HP. However in the canon (true) event's that occur in the game (cutscenes), rolling hp is not shown.
The earliest this is visible is when playing as Flint when a traumatic event occurs in both He, Claus and Lucas's life. Flint goes out of control, and one of the villagers merely hits him at the back of the head with a log and knocks him out.
Flint also has rolling hp, but it turns out in a canon event of the story, he does not.
So to make an argument, Ness's rolling HP is true to the gameplay, but not true to the actual reality of the character.
That being said, since when can Mewtwo explode anyones mind at all? Theres no evidence of that.
Mewtwo is a psychic, and can perform telekinesis, however when could he **** minds?
The pokemon anime is not canon (only to itself), nor is it even part of the game.
I simply feel the reasoning for this draw isn't correct. Ness's HP shouldn't scroll if we honor the reality of the game (which is still true to it) and Mewtwo can't explode heads. Ness is very durablet regardless of scrolling health though, and Psi rocking is quite powerful, and if it doesn't 1 shot Mewtwo, it should 2 shot him.
Ness should win.

Just what I have to say.

Both Roy and YL are swordmans. Young Link is a small kid, while Roy's close to a grown man. Roy has ALOT more experience with swords than YL ever had. If both YL and Roy were to fight with their swords, Roy would clearly take the lead. YL isn't a joke either, he has a lot of arensals he could work with, but since he's at his kid form, and not his grown form, YL is inexperienced.
Again I dislike the reasoning here.
If you forgot Young Link comes from Ocarina of time.
He was a time traveler, he has PLENTY of sword fighting experience, this even shows itself in his SECOND game, majora's mask, where it IS shown that he has gained experience. In fact though very subtle he no longer jumps like in OOT but with more flash because he's improved.
Young Link could mean anything. It could mean Link before he ever started his journey (not possible because he has the kokiri sword) or it could mean Link AFTER Ocarina of time. In which case he has TONS of experience, having defeated EVERYONE in Ocarina of Time, Ganondorf and GANON then time travelling, going to Termina and defeating everyone there as well.
Depending on the context YL has no experience. Going by the truth of Ocarina of Time where Link turns back to YL. YL defeated Ganondorf who classifies as a demi-god due to possessing the ToP.
Again if we go by the sequel to OoT, Young Link, has his masks and can transform to say a Goron, a Zora, or a Deku shrub. He could turn into the fierce Diety and be even more problematic shooting sword beams at Roy.
This doesn't mean he will win, Im merely saying it's not a matter of inexperience.
Link never needs to actually use his sword anyways, and why would he? The Kokiri sword is ridiculously small.

Pichu hurts itself with almost anything it does, it wouldn't be a suprised it killed itself before it even got a chance to hurt Peach. Peach could protect herself with her frying pan/umberalla from Pichu's thunderbolts. She could then attack Pichu with her golf club, which may not seem deadly, but is.
How can you ask that we talk if characters are true to their games...and then you use Smash bros Melee as fact?
Pichu doesn't hurt himself in his games unless he uses a move with recoil. Even his pokedex entries merely say that his power STARTLES HIM.
That being said PEach does win, due to a variety of reasons say like the game Super Princess Peach, but pichu wouldn't commit suicide.

Kirby can't be cut! Marth's sword is completely useless against him! Kirby has a black hole inside him, so when he swallows Marth, Marth can't do ANYTHING to escape. Kirby also has unlimited flying ability.
Funny because if I recall, Dark Mind (Kirby and the Amazing Mirror) CUT KIRBY into 4, those 4 were able to fight on there own but still, Kirby can be cut.
That also being said, enemies like the Cutter can kill Kirby or the swordsman.
There is also a CLEAR advantage to Marth if we are true to their games.
In Canon Kirby is 8 inches tall, and Nintendo's japanese profile for Kirby will vouch for that.
Kirby doesn't even come up to Marth's Knee. It's impossible for Kirby to consume Marth.
Marth can step on Kirby causing enough pressure to kill him.
What Kirby should be doing is using the warp star.
That being said, Marth has an AOE attack in this item called the Earth Orb.
Kirby would end up dying due to not being able to dodge this.
Going by what is declared as canon (as Sakurai gave the kirby 8 inches statement if I recall) the only people Kirby can eat are.
Deedeedee, Metaknight and Olimar. Who are close to his size (DDD is bigger) or smaller.
Everyone else towers over Kirby.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Yoshi can throw eggs which one-hit KO small opponents, and Lucas is a small opponent. I'm talking about Yoshi's Island ofcourse, his best and most played game. I haven't played Mother 3, but I'm sure that Lucas will win with his abilities in that game.

Lucas wins.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Yoshi can throw eggs which one-hit KO small opponents, and Lucas is a small opponent. I'm talking about Yoshi's Island ofcourse, his best and most played game. I haven't played Mother 3, but I'm sure that Lucas will win with his abilities in that game.

Lucas wins.
You haven't played it but you...

Anyways, Lucas hits hard and has a shield that can reduce damage he takes and he can heal himself among other things like paralysis.

I do believe Lucas will win.

Anyways for CF vs Ganondorf.
I vote Ganondorf. Even without the triforce of power he's a complete beast who wrecks whatever's in his way. With it he's invulnerable to almost everything so nothing falcon does means jack.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
The reasons for people winning these fights are for absurd.
For instance Sheik does not have needles at all, in fact Sheik has nothing other than what appears to be a deku nut, or a smoke bomb.
That's it.
Sheik shows nothing other than being able to escape Link and play music.
The Ice Climbers we know can at least attack. The conceptual ability of sheik is very vague, and to say she really has any true ability is going quite far on a limb.

That's not exactly true.
If you don't recall Mario has RPG games in his franchise as well, where he is suitably stronger than his platforming counterparts, due to him having like Link, lots of items.
It's a clear bias or at least a lack of understanding to say Mario can't pose a threat.
For instance, Twilight princess Link is quite pathetic by Link standards, other than his hidden skills.
Had this been the ocarina or ALLTP counterpart it would be more interesting, but Twilight princess link couldn't beat the RPG Mario. Mario games are not solely platformers.

True to their games Metaknight is about 8 inches and Olimar is the size of a quarter.

I disagree with this.
For one, to say Ness has rolling HP is a common statement, but it's not necessarily true.
If you pay attention to mother three all the playable characters in a battle have rolling HP. However in the canon (true) event's that occur in the game (cutscenes), rolling hp is not shown.
The earliest this is visible is when playing as Flint when a traumatic event occurs in both He, Claus and Lucas's life. Flint goes out of control, and one of the villagers merely hits him at the back of the head with a log and knocks him out.
Flint also has rolling hp, but it turns out in a canon event of the story, he does not.
So to make an argument, Ness's rolling HP is true to the gameplay, but not true to the actual reality of the character.
That being said, since when can Mewtwo explode anyones mind at all? Theres no evidence of that.
Mewtwo is a psychic, and can perform telekinesis, however when could he **** minds?
The pokemon anime is not canon (only to itself), nor is it even part of the game.
I simply feel the reasoning for this draw isn't correct. Ness's HP shouldn't scroll if we honor the reality of the game (which is still true to it) and Mewtwo can't explode heads. Ness is very durablet regardless of scrolling health though, and Psi rocking is quite powerful, and if it doesn't 1 shot Mewtwo, it should 2 shot him.
Ness should win.

Just what I have to say.

Again I dislike the reasoning here.
If you forgot Young Link comes from Ocarina of time.
He was a time traveler, he has PLENTY of sword fighting experience, this even shows itself in his SECOND game, majora's mask, where it IS shown that he has gained experience. In fact though very subtle he no longer jumps like in OOT but with more flash because he's improved.
Young Link could mean anything. It could mean Link before he ever started his journey (not possible because he has the kokiri sword) or it could mean Link AFTER Ocarina of time. In which case he has TONS of experience, having defeated EVERYONE in Ocarina of Time, Ganondorf and GANON then time travelling, going to Termina and defeating everyone there as well.
Depending on the context YL has no experience. Going by the truth of Ocarina of Time where Link turns back to YL. YL defeated Ganondorf who classifies as a demi-god due to possessing the ToP.
Again if we go by the sequel to OoT, Young Link, has his masks and can transform to say a Goron, a Zora, or a Deku shrub. He could turn into the fierce Diety and be even more problematic shooting sword beams at Roy.
This doesn't mean he will win, Im merely saying it's not a matter of inexperience.
Link never needs to actually use his sword anyways, and why would he? The Kokiri sword is ridiculously small.

How can you ask that we talk if characters are true to their games...and then you use Smash bros Melee as fact?
Pichu doesn't hurt himself in his games unless he uses a move with recoil. Even his pokedex entries merely say that his power STARTLES HIM.
That being said PEach does win, due to a variety of reasons say like the game Super Princess Peach, but pichu wouldn't commit suicide.

Funny because if I recall, Dark Mind (Kirby and the Amazing Mirror) CUT KIRBY into 4, those 4 were able to fight on there own but still, Kirby can be cut.
That also being said, enemies like the Cutter can kill Kirby or the swordsman.
There is also a CLEAR advantage to Marth if we are true to their games.
In Canon Kirby is 8 inches tall, and Nintendo's japanese profile for Kirby will vouch for that.
Kirby doesn't even come up to Marth's Knee. It's impossible for Kirby to consume Marth.
Marth can step on Kirby causing enough pressure to kill him.
What Kirby should be doing is using the warp star.
That being said, Marth has an AOE attack in this item called the Earth Orb.
Kirby would end up dying due to not being able to dodge this.
Going by what is declared as canon (as Sakurai gave the kirby 8 inches statement if I recall) the only people Kirby can eat are.
Deedeedee, Metaknight and Olimar. Who are close to his size (DDD is bigger) or smaller.
Everyone else towers over Kirby.
Well, I guess you're right. Some of the reasons are a bit off. Can you do me a favor a provide me a better summary?

Anyways, our last characters for round 1 (we're only leaving out one, Jigglypuff), Ganondorf and Captain Falcon.

We're going to start round 1 of the loser's bracket tomorrow, I'll also include Jigglypuff in there, just to squish her in somewhere.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
from what I know, Cpt Falcon has pretty much raced all of the time in a rather really fast vehicle of his, which will hurt a lot if collision happens.
Ganondorf on the other hand is practically a sorcerer, shapeshift himself into a beast, has wielded tridents and sword(s) and has the Triforce of Power.

Ganondorf wins

Top Bottom