• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brawl Icon Discovery

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Oh someone posted it before me, sorry XD.
Sakurai, to be exact. It was on the site before the daily updates. It's the FOX symbol and logo for Kojima Productions, in case you didn't know. This begs the question of if 3rd parties use normal icon choosing, or get it from their owner.

I wasn't directing it at you, but at everyone qho has, or will post that idiocy. If you read the thread, you'd understand why we need a giant sign.

EDIT: Woah. Ninja'd by colbusman.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I was wondering, did anyone here catch the Pokeball icon changing? It did about a week ago, and some people at GFAQs put up comparison pics. Apparently it changed to reflect the Pokeball icon used in Diamond/Pearl's touch screen when a battle begins...

Anyone who can post a comparison pic again? Like the Mario icon, it should be noted. It brings up speculation on Lucario as a playable character...

Vertiboy

Smash Cadet
Not to disappoint anyone, but on Brawl, if at least one person from every game sharing the same symbol appears that appeared in Melee (if just Fox appears, if just Marth appears, if just Pikachu appears, etc.), then we may not have as many new people from newer games as we thought.

(Note: The numbers don't neccesarily correspond to the number in the web address.)

1. Mario
2. Yoshi
3. Donkey Kong
4. F-Zero
5. The Legend of Zelda
6. Starfox
7. Earthbound
8. Ice Climbers
9. Kirby
10. Metroid
11. Pokemon
12. Game & Watch
13. Fire Emblem
14. Wario
15. Kid Icarus
16. Metal Gear
17. Animal Crossing
18. Smash Bros.

Every one of the 18 spaces can be filled with a game logo from Melee, plus the new Wario, Kid Icarus, Metal Gear, and Animal Crossing logos.

Here's hoping that there are more than 18 logos or that Nintendo digs deep into the pre-existing games that have already had characters on Melee.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
There are more than 18 icons. I can guarantee it.

And count on getting Fire Emblem's tomorrow. I'm guessing #13.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Not to disappoint anyone, but on Brawl, if at least one person from every game sharing the same symbol appears that appeared in Melee (if just Fox appears, if just Marth appears, if just Pikachu appears, etc.), then we may not have as many new people from newer games as we thought.

(Note: The numbers don't neccesarily correspond to the number in the web address.)

1. Mario
2. Yoshi
3. Donkey Kong
4. F-Zero
5. The Legend of Zelda
6. Starfox
7. Earthbound
8. Ice Climbers
9. Kirby
10. Metroid
11. Pokemon
12. Game & Watch
13. Fire Emblem
14. Wario
15. Kid Icarus
16. Metal Gear
17. Animal Crossing
18. Smash Bros.

Every one of the 18 spaces can be filled with a game logo from Melee, plus the new Wario, Kid Icarus, Metal Gear, and Animal Crossing logos.

Here's hoping that there are more than 18 logos or that Nintendo digs deep into the pre-existing games that have already had characters on Melee.

Yes we know there is going to be more... read through the topic >_>

Pieman0920

Smash Master
1.Smash Bros.
2.DK series
3.Fox series
4.Kirby Series
5.F-Zero series
6.Metroid Series
7.Earthbound/Mother series
8.Pokemon Series
9. Zelda Series
10. Mario series
11.Yoshi series
12. Fire Emblem *NEW*
15.Animal Crossing icon
16.Wario symbol
18.Pit's Symbol

To bad it didn't reconfirm those the Ice Climber and G&W by not being 14, but oh well. It's Ike! :D

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I think that either Sakurai had made a slight mistake on the part of the Animal Crossing icon, or it simply confirms it doesn't have any playable characters:

http://multiverseworks.com/smashicon.php

As you can see, every icon is either black or transparent, except for the Animal Crossing icon.

It actually just doesn't say much, only that its background has been mistake'd.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
The release of the Fire Emblem symbol makes it easier to believe that 13 and 14 are the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
EVERYONE KNOWS THERE WILL BE MORE THAN 18 SERIES. DO NOT BRING THAT UP TO TRY TO SOUND SMART, OR YOU WILL BE FLAMED. THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO'VE MENTIONED THAT ARE THE ENDLESS PEOPLE TELLING US TO "STOP THINKING THAT."
Oi I reckon there will be more than 18 series in the game.

am i sounding smart?

joepinion

Smash Apprentice
Example Proving the theory works exactly:

12. Aisu Kuraima (Ice Climbers)
13. Faia Emuburemu (Fire Emblem)
14. Gemu ando Uotchi (Game&Watch)

Theory 2 (Ice Climbers removed)

12. Faia Emuburemu (Fire Emblem)
13. Gemu ando Uotchi (Game&Watch)

15. Dōbutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing)

-Same as theory 1 just Ice Climbers are removed

Theory 3 (Mr Game & Watch & Ice Climbers removed

12. Faia Emuburemu (Fire Emblem)

15. Dōbutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing)

- This here meaning only one of the 3 new series from Melee will return, making it to where two new series for Brawl that start with either A/B/C or D.
Oh, snap!! If this Japanese alphabetical order theory is true, it means no Ice Climbers. It also means that there would be at least one and maybe two new franchises that start with A-Do.

Can you say Balloon Fighter?

RIP Ice Climbers.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
IC still fit if the veteran-name theory holds true:

12 - Aiku (Fire Emblem)
13 - Aisu Kuraima (Ice Climbers)
14 - Gemu ando Uotchi-san (Game & Watch)

Just a thought. Even though we all thought that the Fire Emblem update would settle things, it really hasn't done much lol. What we need now is icon 14. If it's one of the two left, then it's safe to say that both franchises are returning. If not, that opens up room for new speculation.

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
Buh?

Japanese doesn't derive itself from Latin...I guess we came to a conclusion though in the other topic, so there's no point arguing it here.
Almost all the words being used here come from the Latin alphabet. Link (Rinku in romaji) is meant to be a literal "link" between the players. Zelda (Zeruda) is named for American writer Zelda Fitzgerald. Mario is an Italian name, Donkey Kong is a bad translation of stubborn ape, Ike is an English diminutive of the Hebrew Isaac, Kirby is an English lastname that comes from the Danish "Kierkby," meaning "churchgoer. Most of these words got to Japanese from English, so the current system seems sound in ordering the romaji names by the Latin.

What might be helpful is if someone who knew Japanese were to explain to us how the katakana orders its characters. Is it remotely close to the Latin counterparts, or should we look into a revision of the theory?

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
I've added the FE number and included the Japanese List theory aswell, since it's been regarding plenty of times.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I don't get what you guys are talking about.

The Japanese alphabet doesn't really have an order to it.

Technically, an "order" (if you REALLY wanted one) is a-i-u-e-o, Ka-ki-ku-ke-ko, then I think sa-shi-tsu-se-so, then the T line, then the R line, etc. I don't really remember that "order" too much.

But all-in-all, there is no order to the Japanese alphabet. Sorry.

EDIT: And even if you tried the Japanese names in the English alphabetical order, the theory still doesn't work.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
2 spots left between FE and AC and two unconfirmed franchises from melee yet to be shown hmmm...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I call BS on this.

The reason is becuase it maniputes factors. Namely, it's inconsistant. It is either using the franchise's name, or switches to a character's name when needed. Example is Zelda is Zeruda no Densetsu, F-Zero is F-Zero and Starfox is Sutā Fokkusu. If this is true it throws the entire theory out of wack. I doubt anyone would make an orginization pattern as bizzar as this.

But also, This theory requires the Japanese romaji characters - but any reader of Japanese could tell you that alphabetical order is COMPLETELY different in Japan.

It requires Japanese spelling, and English ordering. Somehow I find that a little unlikely. (Last part is not my words BTW)

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I think you're missing a point here.

It's like a coding message.

See, if I were to make a big game, and there could be a pattern in how things are stored for certain things, I wouldn't want to make it that obvious. In fact, I would make it farfetch'd. I would code it in a way people would think would be random, but it in fact isn't.

Sakurai might think of it the same way. First he wanted to put the icons of the original Smash, then from the second installment, and finally from the newest. But he didn't want to just do it like that. He would need to do it in a certain pattern. That's why it may look inconsistent, but it really isn't.

Harliart

Smash Apprentice
<b> The new stage that has been revealed on smashbros.com has an image of 4 characters falling to a supposed "third" area after the floor crumbles beneath them... it is very grey.. .and its hard to see little to anything</b>

I managed to see some cracks in the image... they looked like earth fissures... I put the photo into photobucket and set the contrast to 80% which reveals heavily grayed blured areas with more detail usually... this is what i got:

It looks to me like its a "hell" like area... with mine surroundings, molten cracks in the ground.. rised platforms, stelagmites and stelagtites

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I suspect the FE underground will be the castle's secret escape tunnel, as most FE castles tend to have them.

They featured the underground area in the FE anime as well.

As for the theory, bravo on the numbered bit, but forget the naming bit. It's irrelevant.

The point is, if you type, "http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/images/icon/world_b_01.gif", you get the smash icon, but if you change it to "/world_b_02.gif", you'll get the next icon in the list, but there ARE icons missing, mainly 07, 13, 14 and everything beyond 18.

The fact that there are numbers missing and yet the sequence continues raises a perfectly valid point because that means these numbers are, without a doubt, placeholders for a symbol which has wisely not yet been added to the site (since people would then find it).

There is no naming order, but the fact that these are placeholders for later reveals cannot be denied...

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
<b> The new stage that has been revealed on smashbros.com has an image of 4 characters falling to a supposed "third" area after the floor crumbles beneath them... it is very grey.. .and its hard to see little to anything</b>

I managed to see some cracks in the image... they looked like earth fissures... I put the photo into photobucket and set the contrast to 80% which reveals heavily grayed blured areas with more detail usually... this is what i got:

It looks to me like its a "hell" like area... with mine surroundings, molten cracks in the ground.. rised platforms, stelagmites and stelagtites
Great find! Looks to be an even more interesting addition to the rest of the stage.

cubican62

Smash Cadet
The point is, if you type, "http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/images/icon/world_b_01.gif", you get the smash icon, but if you change it to "/world_b_02.gif", you'll get the next icon in the list, but there ARE icons missing, mainly 07, 13, 14 and everything beyond 18.

The fact that there are numbers missing and yet the sequence continues raises a perfectly valid point because that means these numbers are, without a doubt, placeholders for a symbol which has wisely not yet been added to the site (since people would then find it).

There is no naming order, but the fact that these are placeholders for later reveals cannot be denied...
i agree. can we hope to see more new franchises revealed?!?

Croco

Smash Lord
Update on my original one..

I still believe Ice Climbers and Mr. G&W are the missing 2 between Fire Emblem & Animal Crossing.

Mother has to be between Samus and Pokemon.
It goes..

First SSB64 originals, The 3 newcomer franchises to Melee, and finally the franchises new to Brawl.

If anyone believes nothing is after Kid Icarus.. :urg: I just have no clue why you wouldn't.

cubican62

Smash Cadet
im not sure if this has already been said (i didnt read all 24 pages) but when u look at the pic url for castle siege stage, it has a number as well(9).while not as important, maybe we can find out how many stages/stages per franchise.

Top Bottom