• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Miller

Smash Lord
Hmm... smells like Ike to me.

Let's take a look at what they DIDN'T mention:

-Projectile/long distance game - so we MIGHT assume there is none

-Recovery - not mentionned, so it's not super gimpable nor is it amazing

So yeah... can KO without a problem? Ike. Decent air game on the surface? Ike. Doomed for mid-tier? Ike. :p

The only thing I can't piece together is the thing about the "secret technique"
tsk tsk tsk Max

Im actually thinking it to be IC here. Samurai kept saying "This Character" instead of a singular He, She, or It. Which also lead me to believe it to be IC

This character may be doomed to mid tier because despite all the incredible strengths and abilities that this character possesses, the character is lacking any sort of approach game, and the character's air game, which seems great on the surface, is actually severely lacking.
IC Air game is pretty Lacking, and they also have no good approach.

Although, if the player can use this character well, these flaws may not actually be too much of a disadvantage because this character can KO without much of a problem. In the future, this character could very easily rise in the tiers and tournament rankings if more players learn how to use the character well.
The majority of IC players are pretty bad. If a IC player didn't have alot of Skill in CGs, they wouldn't do well at all with them, as it makes up for their weaknesses.

Also, there are some unusual strategies that are not often used can be taken to balance this character's weaknesses, although very few people who use this character use these strategies as they are difficult to do in a real match, and require quite a bit of skill.
The unusual strategy is CGs, which can make up for anything that happened before hand. CGs are incredibly hard under pressure, and not alot of people can CG with great success, because they require alot of skill.

Browny

Smash Hater
Its Fox...

poor approach
mediocre tourney results (although japan in he is ****** :/ )
upsmash is godly
and his dash-shine is really effective, but difficult to do

manhunter098

Smash Lord
But Ike doesnt really have any unusual strategies does he? Hes a pretty basic character. Essentially the character we are looking for is either going to have an AT that allows them to create a rather unique strategy (like Pikachu, and Bowser for example) or they will have some innate property that allows them to work unlike other characters. Of course there is going to need to be technical skill involved in this strategy since there is no reason to not use an amazing strategy unless you dont know about it, or your fingers arent fast enough to do it right often enough.

And I can agree with Pikachu definitely being a good character. But other than the fact that he is pretty much agreed upon as a pretty good character, he fits the hint so well otherwise.

Percon

Smash Lord
tsk tsk tsk Max

Im actually thinking it to be IC here. Samurai kept saying "This Character" instead of a singular He, She, or It. Which also lead me to believe it to be IC

IC Air game is pretty Lacking, and they also have no good approach.

The majority of IC players are pretty bad. If a IC player didn't have alot of Skill in CGs, they wouldn't do well at all with them, as it makes up for their weaknesses.

The unusual strategy is CGs, which can make up for anything that happened before hand. CGs are incredibly hard under pressure, and not alot of people can CG with great success, because they require alot of skill.
You sure biked home quick.

Anyway, I doubt the ICs are doomed to mid-tier.

And SP always says "this character"... otherwise it'd be too easy. Also, their air game doesn't even look good on the surface... just my two cents.

Miller

Smash Lord
You sure biked home quick.

Anyway, I doubt the ICs are doomed to mid-tier.

And SP always says "this character"... otherwise it'd be too easy. Also, their air game doesn't even look good on the surface... just my two cents.
Dude I got home in 15 minutes, its not that hard to bike man

And I guess what your saying is true, but alot of it does hint towards IC

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
The thing about the IC chaingrab is that its not an unusual strategy... any1 and their mom that is trying to play the ICs in tournament will at least try to learn the CG beforehand.

However, the unusual strat SP is talking about might be desynch related...

Also, here's my list of potential candidates:

Wario
Ike
Zelda
Luigi
DK
ICs

Percon

Smash Lord
Also, here's my list of potential candidates:

Wario
Ike
Zelda
Luigi
DK
ICs
Looks about right. I'm not as convinced as you are that it's Wario but it could happen I guess. Only, I doubt Wario is mid-tier...

This isn't quite as clear-cut as I had thought when I first read it. :/

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Ike, I should know, I got fed up with him after months of defending him. As in from day one of Brawl to like the end of last month is how long I used him. He really has no approach, and you need to be able to find a way in.

I didn't see this character referred to as a nub smasher, so mebbe I'm wrong.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I think it's Ike.

Also, I told you guys I was picking this up again.... but Lee Harris made the next thread so I guess he's gonna give this another shot. Sorry if it's late.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I made a change to the hint. A subtle change, which only a few will catch, but it may help the guessing. I'm just hoping that the change in and of itself isn't too revealing.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I still say the unusual strategy only takes a minute's worth of thought and not really much skill.

I also can't believe none of you are listening to me when I'm telling you guys that the next character is Mewtwo.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
It's definitely not Ness, as Ness's air game ROCKS like no other. Nearly all of his aerials true combo into each other, his 2nd jump lets him do a ton of things with said aerials, and he has one of the most deadly spikes in the game.

Lucas, Ike, ICs, Pika, and maybe Bowser, Luigi, or Fox seem most reasonable. Pika, Luigi, and Fox seem to have a decent ability to approach, though, so I'd put it at

Lucas
ICs
Ike
Bowser

For the most likely.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I made a change to the hint. A subtle change, which only a few will catch, but it may help the guessing. I'm just hoping that the change in and of itself isn't too revealing.
Well since your in an editing mood, do you mind fixing the grammatical conflicts in the hint, Im not sure if they were present before you changed it, but they are definitely there now.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ooh, I hope it's Ike.

But Ike doesnt really have any unusual strategies does he? Hes a pretty basic character. Essentially the character we are looking for is either going to have an AT that allows them to create a rather unique strategy (like Pikachu, and Bowser for example) or they will have some innate property that allows them to work unlike other characters. Of course there is going to need to be technical skill involved in this strategy since there is no reason to not use an amazing strategy unless you dont know about it, or your fingers arent fast enough to do it right often enough.
He IS a basic character, and he has different feints to force and punish rolls.

----------

but reading the hint, it's probably Pikachu. QAC and all. Aerial game isn't too special, I'd think. Heck, Sonic outprioritizes most of Pikachu's aerial attacks, so I'm sure that counts for something, to all you lolpriority people ._.;

And for no other reason, Kirby?

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I still say the unusual strategy only takes a minute's worth of thought and not really much skill.

I also can't believe none of you are listening to me when I'm telling you guys that the next character is Mewtwo.
LUCARIO
caps

Rogue

Smash Cadet
This fits the bill for a few characters, but of all the hints, it's actually a good possibility of being Zelda. Her unusual strategy? Switching between Sheik and Zelda. :laugh:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Well since your in an editing mood, do you mind fixing the grammatical conflicts in the hint, Im not sure if they were present before you changed it, but they are definitely there now.
After reading this I was tempted to edit the whole hint to make it chock full of grammatical errors that would make it excruciating for anybody with a brain to read, but that would take too long. So I fixed it instead.

shuro

Smash Rookie
I think it's Zelda this time. Zelda has no problem KOing, aerial game is great!... if you never sourspot, or if your opponent doesn't know how to airdodge a U-air. And transforming to Sheik to cover weaknesses is an "unusual strategy" that helps, but it requires some skill to be able to play two characters efficiently; that, and transforming leaves you waay open, so you have to create a situation where you won't be hit. Another strategy that no one uses is ledgewarping. Miss, and you're screwed.

(continues to lurk)

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
It is definately not Lucario, his aerial game is terrifyingly combo-rific and very potent. Some even transform into K.O. moves at as low as Aura Level 1 (approximately 24%).

I'm kinda on the fence about Pikachu, if this person was giving a GOOD hint and not one that could be used to describe almost anyone, he would, at the very least, mention projectiles. Aside from that, the description brings Pikachu into mind best.

Iris

Smash Ace
Yeah, with the Zelda to Sheik transformation, she's looking far more likely. It IS pretty unusual when under pressure to use the two as a team rather than a desperation act.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I really doubt that its Zelda, since if the tactic is to switch to Sheik...then that means the hint is about BOTH Zelda and Sheik, and they are quite separate as characters. I mean each one has their own forum even.

Iris

Smash Ace
Doesn't mean that they won't discuss Sheik another week, they could simply explain the importance of counterpicking.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
My guess is Ike, though I'm not sure what to make of the 'alternative way to play said character' bit.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well what level of skill does it take to switch from Zelda to Sheik though? I mean aside from learning to use a different character, that actual technique doesnt require anything besides the ability to get some space and use down B. Granted its definitely good to be able to have more control over your matchups, but I dont really think you can call switching from Zelda to Sheik a real technique.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Bowser. His aerial game looks good, but it actually isn't. He has crap for approaches, but has the KO power. His fake chain grab, and infinite jump are somewhat difficult to use in battle but they could help make him a better character.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Tempted to say Mario since the FLUDD seems to represent 'a possible strategy that's tough to use'. But he can't KO that easy.

Zelda and Bowser seem closer.

Ness? He has a pretty great air game if you can land the hits, but therein lies the problem. Between the HRBat and Yoyo and Bair and Uair he can KO pretty easy. I'm not sure about 'unusual strategy' though.

Top Bottom