• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

aeolous

Smash Apprentice
I don't know, a lot of it sounds like Pikachu, like the advanced technique (QAC), decent KO's, etc. The only thing is, Pikachu doesn't have a total lack of approach (I'll admit he's not the best, but a full-hopped neutral b makes a great cover), and while his aerials do have small range, they are still pretty good. It could be Pikachu, since after all, these hints are always based off of the perceptions of the author and not ours, but I'm going to go with Ice Climbers instead.

KratosAurion

Smash Rookie
I finished reading it and it sounds a lot like Luigi to me, since he lacks range on his aerials, has a terrible approach but has very good KO moves. I don't know about any ATs at all though...

manhunter098

Smash Lord
There is no way its going to be Luigi. While his aerials lack range (well actually b-air and u-air have pretty good range, though not great), they have such incredibly high priority and come out so fast that you dont need range to be effective with them, you just need to hit and hitting with aerials is just a matter of spacing.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ike.

Ike is TERRIBLE at approaching, and his air game is subpar due to most of it being rather telegraphed. HOWEVER, Ike is quite good at scoring KOs once his opponent has enough damage due to having many attacks that can kill.

I can't think of anyone having particularly unusual strategies though. =/

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking #12 is going to be Bowser given the hints. He obviously has no trouble landing KO's since he's a heavyweight type character. His aerial game, while it appears to be good (relatively quick F-Air, U-Air with KO potential, B-Air with interesting hitbox), they tend to be laggy and difficult to Auto-Cancel. Bowser also tends to lack in the approach department given the speed of his attacks; the Fortress can be shield grabbed, the F-Tilt range isn't too long, aerial approaches are difficult (and hard to Auto-Cancel when approaching). His Forward B move does have some potential, but can be punished by spot-dodging.

He also has that interesting infinite jump technique which can be utilized to supplement his game, but rarely do I ever see it (or Bowser players in general) for that instance.

AlexX

Smash Ace
He also has that interesting infinite jump technique which can be utilized to supplement his game, but rarely do I ever see it (or Bowser players in general) for that instance.
I'm pretty sure all characters can ISJ.

That said... I'm probably going to need some time to think about this. The clue is incredibly vague and while I was originally thinking DK, I didn't even consider Pikachu until I saw some posts about it (I should probably look into him a bit more... I was under the impression he was estimated to make high-tier rather than mid).

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
My first thought was fox. Firstly, fox can't approach at all, his aerial game appears good (but isn't anything exceptional) and he has that nasty UpSmash along with alot of other good moves to KO with. Fox also seems doomed to mid tier, despite being a top tier character (if not the best) in melee

SP said it would be hard to guess, and that's probably why everyone is suggesting different characters.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Zelda? All of her aerials are like OMGCRAZY when they connect, but they are notoriously hard to hit with. She has no trouble KOing and the unusual strategy might be Transform, if for no other purpose to refresh moves like usmash.

Probably not though, I thought last week's was Zelda too xP

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I remember not too long ago seeing some tactic about using the momentum of the turn around animation and doing something that basically let some characters move faster than they could if they were actually running, not to mention that it looks really freaky to watch and could definitely confuse opponents thus making for excellent mindgames.

If I remember correctly the Ice Climbers and Link could use it, and maybe Luigi too, Im pretty sure it worked with more characters than just those three and it isnt too difficult to do, the issue lies in how useful it actually is.

Here is a link to a video demonstrating it with Luigi. It really does make for a pretty freaky approach. Not that I am saying Luigi is going to be the COTW because of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LblsuBC2i8

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
This clue is incredibly vague - I can't make heads or tails of it. All but the most elite who use the character described will have no idea what is meant by Unusual strategy, and quite a few characters have bad approaches and areals in combination, some of which (Sonic's dair) once appeared good. Half the remaining cast could fall under this category unless an absolute definition of which characters have unusual, difficult, and viable tactics is defined.

FlashGearz

Smash Apprentice
My first guess was Ike, because His aeriel game, seems sounds, but is slow, and easily seen, and he can't doo too much to characters quick in the air. He has a easy time KOing, with his smashes, up tilt, and jab, but his approch is limited to the quick draw. and stopping his quick draw right infront of the other person, and jabbing. But it's hard to judge the distance in a game. Not to mention he is mid tier right about now. And the fact that noobs say he is broken.

But I guess Bowser could work too

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
im thinking that it could be Samus just because of the unusual strategy part, the unusual strategy would be turning into ZSS in the middle of a match
That does fit the unusual strategy, but are Samus's aerials that bad? And I though Zair made a good approach.

RikotheFoxKid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RikoTheFoxKid
From what it said, to me it looks like the only thing that wouldn't fit Sonic is the KO easily.

Sonic does lack a good approach, especially with projectiles.
Sonic's Dair does look powerful, but it is indeed very lacking.
Sonic's strategy of always running, even running away at times, is pretty unusual, and it DOES take a lot of skill (from my personal experiments)

So, I still think it's Sonic.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Maybe we should start by eliminating characters? Its way too vague to start by guessing characters this time?

2. Ike (from Fire Emblem),
4. Lucario (from Pokemon),
5. Lucas (from Mother 3/EarthBound 2),
7. Pikmin & Olimar,
8. Pit (from Kid Icarus),
9. Pokemon Trainer (controls 3 Pokemon, you switch between Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard to fight),
12. Sonic the Hedgehog,
13. Wario,

Lots of veteran characters from the original N64 Smash Bros. or its Melee GameCube sequel will return, they are:
15. Bowser (from Mario),
16. Captain Falcon (from F-Zero),
17. Donkey Kong,
19. Fox McCloud (from Star Fox),
21. Ice Climbers,
22. Jigglypuff (from Pokemon),
23. Kirby,
25. Luigi (from Mario),
26. Mario,
27. Marth (from Fire Emblem),
29. Ness (from EarthBound),
30. Pikachu (from Pokemon),
31. Princess Peach (from Mario),
32. Princess Zelda (and her Sheik transformation after using the down special move),
33. Samus Aran (and her Zero Suit Samus transformation after using Final Smash — from Metroid),
35. Yoshi (from Mario).

I copied this off of google on a SSBB character list search.

Also, Bowser's unusual tactic which requires skill is his own unique chain grab, which involves grabbing them, using the grab attack until they free themselves, and then doing a running grab into the next part of the chain. This is made possible by Bowser's ability to react before his opponent on a grab release.

RikotheFoxKid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RikoTheFoxKid
Maybe we should start by eliminating characters? Its way too vague to start by guessing characters this time?

2. Ike (from Fire Emblem),
4. Lucario (from Pokemon),
5. Lucas (from Mother 3/EarthBound 2),
7. Pikmin & Olimar,
8. Pit (from Kid Icarus),
9. Pokemon Trainer (controls 3 Pokemon, you switch between Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard to fight),
12. Sonic the Hedgehog,
13. Wario,

Lots of veteran characters from the original N64 Smash Bros. or its Melee GameCube sequel will return, they are:
15. Bowser (from Mario),
16. Captain Falcon (from F-Zero),
17. Donkey Kong,
19. Fox McCloud (from Star Fox),
21. Ice Climbers,
22. Jigglypuff (from Pokemon),
23. Kirby,
25. Luigi (from Mario),
26. Mario,
27. Marth (from Fire Emblem),
29. Ness (from EarthBound),
30. Pikachu (from Pokemon),
31. Princess Peach (from Mario),
32. Princess Zelda (and her Sheik transformation after using the down special move),
33. Samus Aran (and her Zero Suit Samus transformation after using Final Smash — from Metroid),
35. Yoshi (from Mario).

I copied this off of google on a SSBB character list search.

Also, Bowser's unusual tactic which requires skill is his own unique chain grab, which involves grabbing them, using the grab attack until they free themselves, and then doing a running grab into the next part of the chain. This is made possible by Bowser's ability to react before his opponent on a grab release.
Well, it can't be Ness. His air game is far from poor.

old king coal

Smash Journeyman
it is the ice-climbers

This character may be doomed to mid tier because despite all the incredible strengths and abilities that this character possesses, the character is lacking any sort of approach game, and the character's air game, which seems great on the surface, is actually severely lacking. Although, if the player can use this character well, these flaws may not actually be too much of a disadvantage because this character can KO without much of a problem. In the future, this character could very easily rise in the tiers and tournament rankings if more players learn how to use the character well. Also, there is an unusual strategy that is not often used that can be taken to balance this character's weaknesses, although very few people who use this character use the strategy as it is difficult to do in a real match, and require quite a bit of skill.
ice climbers, ice climbers, ice climbers, ice climbers, ice climbers, ice climbers, ice climbers, ice climbers, ice climbers, ice climbers, ice climbers, ice climbers, ice climbers, ice climbers!

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
Marthx3 it said has NO problem of KO'ing, unless you were joking of course haha

i would say DK but he seems very liable for maybe low-high tier, i consider him the most under appreciated charecter in brawl

maybe bowser, or yoshi maybe, but doesnt yoshi have back air as an approach?

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
its not dk, he's got one of the better approaches in the game, and while his aerials look horrible on paper, he does better in the air than on the ground, his bair is too good

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
I say Mario. No one uses his FLUDD, though it MAY have some viability in tournies if one can get it down. Aerials are not so great, but look good when you first see them. Can't approach (Besides fireballs, maybe?), so he fits the bill there. Also, there is no way he's getting out of middle tier.

Top Bottom