• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hmm...

Ike possibly, or Lucario, or Dedede.

I also though Olimar at first, but he has no trouble dealing with projectiles.

Wait a minute, on that note niether does Dedede. Waddle-dee spam anyone?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
DDD's projectile blocks other against other campers... Also, he has no come back from behind moves except f-smash, which takes much longer than ikes. I know ppl will bring up the CG, but that isn't a come from behind thing--they would probably word it different.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Sorry for the double post, but lucario has no instant turn around, he does better, but nothing will shock you....and his moves aren't as dependent on the opponent not reacting quickly >_>

BibulousDan

Smash Apprentice
Even though ive been wrong every single time. It has got to be DDD, hes my 2nd best and I love like like a brother.......because I am his brother!:psycho:

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
It could be Luigi, since his projectile is much too slow to be spammed and can't cancel out other projectiles. His recovery is great, but yes, it can be edgeguarded. He can approach in an instant with downB, making matches turn around quickly.
It could also be Wario, who doesn't move fast enough to avoid most projectile spams (though he can eat some of them). His aerials also link together well, allowing him to change the flow of a match extremely quickly.

gallax

Smash Hero
the first thing that cam to mind for me is Lucario. then i thought problem with projectile spam...ike! my guess is lucario/ike.

edit*: i read it again and gave it some more thought and i definately believe its Ike.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Sorry for the double post, but lucario has no instant turn around, he does better, but nothing will shock you....and his moves aren't as dependent on the opponent not reacting quickly >_>
If you don't react quickly he will 0-death combo you off the stage. I'd say that would turn the match around wouldn't you?

The real reason it can't be Lucario is that he can deal quite well with fast characters

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Ok, it can't be Pit, he doesn't have issues with projectiles and his recovery is good, but not "intimidating." My guess would have to be Ike or Dedede- with the ending of the hint where he said that the character is fun to play, but not to play against, it could very well be both as well. I'm going with Ike, though, since Dedede doesn't have too big of a problem reflecting projectiles with Waddle Dees.

KratosAurion

Smash Rookie
This is not Dedede, he doesn't really have much trouble against faster characters since he's very quick in the air and when it comes to tilting. Also his recovery might be punisheable sometimes but it's not THAT easy to gimp, also due to the fact that he has 4 jumps.

IMO this aims towards Ike. He has a lot of trouble with proyectiles and most of his attacks are slow or have some activation time. The recovery part also fits him better.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Pit. definitely.

Seemed to have great recovery, but in actuality very punishable?

Not fun to play against?

all very true.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Luigi is who I've got in mind. Extremely fun to play with both items on and off, has trouble against quite a few projectile spammers + fast characters and can change the game in an instant with forward smash or UpB. Moreover, his recovery is excellent but can be punished quite easily - Tornado can be outprioritized quite easily and the missile in post lag is easy to strike at.

Dream Land Works

Smash Journeyman
I will have to say Lucario. This week is kinda hard, but Lucario can be gimped due to start up lag on recovery and how you can screw im up if he wall clings. Better projectile spammers do well against him and aura can help him turn a match around quite easily.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
At first I thought it was Pit. Pit has a good spam game but a lot of people get inside him. At first his recovery was though to be the best until they discovered you can gimp up B. I also misread one of the points. I thought it said be careful playing with him as the tables can turn even when you are winning, but it is playing against him.

Yeah Ike seems like a good candidate now.

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
This is like...Ike. All the way.

"This character has some difficulty with some of the faster characters, as well as characters with strong projectile spamming games."
Ike is just destroyed by faster characters and those who can spam projectile with ease. He can't land a hit on the fast character earlier than they can get into his bubble and smack him, and Ike loses an important approach (Quick Draw) and takes a lot of damage from such projectiles. It only gets worse when you put the two together (hint: Falco).

"This character's recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released, but now that the game has been out for longer we've come to realize just how easy this character's recovery can be to punish sometimes."
Aether had great vertical recovery, was part projectile (able to hit those before Ike's hurtbox even comes up), did pretty good damage, and had Super Armor frames. Invincible, you'd think? Wrong, wrong, wrong. We later found out many ways to gimp him, from counter moves, to rangy moves, to moves with infinite priority (PK Flash, Din's Fire). And, at first, Quick Draw, although not intimidating, was pretty good. Insane horizontal recovery, until people caught onto the fact that they could just air dodge into it and he'd plummet to his doom. Though, from the beginning, we knew that Ike had to choose between vertical and horizontal, and when he's hit diagonally...

"Always be careful when you're playing against this character; even if you're winning, the game can turn around instant if you don't react fast enough."
Ike is one of the strongest characters in the game. He can send the light characters (who, for the most part, are quite common in tourneys) flying at relatively low percents. If you don't pay attention, you'll eat some Ftilt and Bair for breakfast. When the Ike player gets his act together, he suddenly becomes a lot more dangerous.

"When all is said and done, this character can be fun to play with, but is rarely fun to play against."
Oh, come on, who doesn't want to play as a blue haired guy that uses a huge sword blessed by the gods, gives no sympathy, and fights for his friends?
*shot*
Since most of the Ike players you may meet are complete noobs, you won't be having much fun dealing with Aether spammers, Fsmash spammers, and just flat out annihilating them.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
next week is dedede hands down

fast characters give him fits
his recovery has huge ending lag, and when he's coming down he loses the super armor, but everyone thought it was the best in the game at launch
he can kill you at 30% if you slip up (cg -> waddle doo laser -> fsmash)
really fun to play as, but who likes being cg'd to death?

not wario, he does not have problems with lightweights (he only has problems with dedede and metaknight)
not ike, his recovery was always horrible, and it's fun to pound on the ike rookies
not lucario, he is not good at upsets

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Dedede or Ike definitely, Lucario always had terrible, gimpable, recovery, he doesn't have that much trouble with faster characters, and he has a projectile of his own...

It's probably Ike because D3 can just throw out a Waddle Dee and projectiles aren't a problem anymore...

Then again, it could be Wario. The turnaround that is spoken of could be the Wario Waft.

My guess is still Ike because he's pretty fast himself, not really fast, but he can keep up.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
IKEEEE.

But this thread has updates more unpredictable updates then the DOJO. I still can't believe 8 was Ganondorf.

Smash Apprentice
Although I am slightly biased, I think Marth is a likely choice. He has a fast recovery that is actually pretty easy to gimp if you time it right. He also has trouble with projectile spammers (Falco), but can turn around a match quickly with his edgeguarding skills. Lastly, he's fun to play as.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Not Dedede, definitely not Pit.

Mark my words. This hint screams "IKE" through and through.
IKEEEE.

But this thread has updates more unpredictable updates then the DOJO. I still can't believe 8 was Ganondorf.
Yeah, because we've always thought that Ike's recovery was incredible. And Ike isn't fun to play against eh? What with how incredibly good he is and all.

*sarcasm*

AlexX

Smash Ace
After a bit of a delay, we've finally begun discussing the new character of the week. This character has some difficulty with some of the faster characters, as well as characters with strong projectile spamming games. This character's recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released, but now that the game has been out for longer we've come to realize just how easy this character's recovery can be to punish sometimes. Always be careful when you're playing against this character; even if you're winning, the game can turn around instant if you don't react fast enough. When all is said and done, this character can be fun to play with, but is rarely fun to play against.
I say there's a good chance it's Ike.

Speed and projectiles are Ike's bane. He has no choice but to approach due to a lack of any of his own projectiles, which leads him to having a disadvantage until he can get in close.

When the game was first released, Ike's recovery wasn't too bad. Aether seemed almost ungimpable due to, if timed right, the sword would hang at the edge longer than someone's invincibility would last, so by the time Ike jumped up to grab it and start his descent, the opponent would be knocked off the edge. Likewise, Quick Draw wasn't too bad since it charges fast and gives some nice horizontal distance. However, nowadays his recovery isn't nearly as impessive since Quick Draw is very easy to gimp (either airdodge, have it hit a projectile, or simply eat the hit), and while Aether is still somewhat challenging to beat, good enough timing to bypass the super armor frames makes it perfectly gimpable as well.

However, despite the majority of the cast looking down on Ike, it can't be denied that Ike is a master of punishment. If a good Ike player gets an opening, he can and will take out opponents at relatively low percents since Ike hits like a truck, which can really help turn a match around. Sure, his attacks for the most part are slow, but he has about 4 or 5 fast ones, which is all he really needs since characters all have 4 or 5 normal attacks for building up damage, anyways.

Fun to play as is a subjective claim, but maining him aside, I can see how people could enjoy playing as a character with a lot of range and power along with his legendary after-battle quotes. He's usually not too fun to play against though, because noobs usually just spam his f-smash and counter moves because they managed to kill their friends/CPUs with them and therefore think it's an effective strategy in competative matches (and thus, facing such an Ike player results in an incredibly boring match).

Grunt

Smash Master
After a bit of a delay, we've finally begun discussing the new character of the week.
finally. o_0

This character has some difficulty with some of the faster characters, as well as characters with strong projectile spamming games.
Well, lets see.
out of every possible contestant, they probably dont have a reflector. Pit Mario Fox are out. this also assumes they are either heavy, slow, or has crazy low priority, and needs slow people to get a hit off.

This character's recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released, but now that the game has been out for longer we've come to realize just how easy this character's recovery can be to punish sometimes.
sounds like Pit, but he shouldn't have any problems stated above. Dedede's recovery is pretty good, but a pain to gimp. snake is done, ROB is done, Lucario...possibly, but it never seemed that amazing to me. Yoshi...Oh god no. Sonic...quite possibly.

Always be careful when you're playing against this character; even if you're winning, the game can turn around instant if you don't react fast enough. When all is said and done, this character can be fun to play with, but is rarely fun to play against.
Hmmm this makes them seem fast, since the game can turn around the tide if your reaction time is slow.
Sounds kind of like Sonic.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so I see arguments for a couple characters:

Dedede
Wario
Luigi

Dedede's recovery did seem incredible at first, until you found out that there are points and areas on it that you can hit him. Forward Smash or Back Airs off the stage can kill you if you slip up.

I STILL think Wario's recovery is incredible. Yes, a good character can jump out and hit you off of your bike, etc. etc. But still, I think that is completely avoidable. I think I've also died once or twice when I didn't sweet spot the edge during the cork screw, but usually his bike and jumps will suffice. I usually argue that while your opponent can be smart against your bike and jumps, you can also be smart with them. But still, it could be Wario. Also, forward smash will **** you.

And I'm not sure if he has been mentioned yet, but I know that I definitely thought that Luigi had an incredible recovery at first. Tornado is a great improvement to recovery. However, it turns out that with everything that he has, it still isn't as good as being ROB or G+W. Also, Luigi can rack up damage very quickly. And his forward smash will kill you if you slip up.

All 3 can be out-projectiled, although a little less so with DDD.

Let's see who can help me break it down further from here.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Luigi and DDD both fit quite well respectively, each has something though that tends to keep either from fitting the best.

DDD having a rather decent projectile of his own that blocks any other projectile (except ROB's Laser as far as I can think of) but I can still see him vulnerable to the very effective projectile spammers like Falco, Wolf, and Pit, and Link/Toon Link a bit too, since than to toss out 3 projectiles in pretty rapid succession.

With Luigi I dont see him having too much trouble with faster characters, he has great priority, and although he lacks range, and hes definitely very floaty in the air, his aerial and even ground priority are top notch and very tough to beat out without a very powerful attack.

Still...I really dont feel that any other character can fit as well as either DDD or Luigi. Its NOT Lucario, disjointed (and rather large) hitboxes on attacks with good speed keeps him quite safe from faster characters, plus he has d-air...and it rocks everyones socks. Its not Ike...it really doesnt take long to realize you can block his recovery with yourself, air dodging it took a bit longer to figure out...but seriously...its kind of obvious once you think about it. Furthermore the distance he could cover was never anything too special.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Luigi and DDD both fit quite well respectively, each has something though that tends to keep either from fitting the best.

DDD having a rather decent projectile of his own that blocks any other projectile (except ROB's Laser as far as I can think of) but I can still see him vulnerable to the very effective projectile spammers like Falco, Wolf, and Pit, and Link/Toon Link a bit too, since than to toss out 3 projectiles in pretty rapid succession.

With Luigi I dont see him having too much trouble with faster characters, he has great priority, and although he lacks range, and hes definitely very floaty in the air, his aerial and even ground priority are top notch and very tough to beat out without a very powerful attack.

Still...I really dont feel that any other character can fit as well as either DDD or Luigi. Its NOT Lucario, disjointed (and rather large) hitboxes on attacks with good speed keeps him quite safe from faster characters, plus he has d-air...and it rocks everyones socks. Its not Ike...it really doesnt take long to realize you can block his recovery with yourself, air dodging it took a bit longer to figure out...but seriously...its kind of obvious once you think about it. Furthermore the distance he could cover was never anything too special.

Dude, Luigi has all kinds of problems against fast characters: Diddy, G+W, Marth, Meta Knight, Pit, ROB, Wolf.

Also, things like Falco and Fox's SHL, Pit's arrows, and Lucas' SH PK Fire will hit over DDD's waddles. Also things like the Links' projectiles, Olimar's Pikmin, Snake's grenades, andPikachu's thundershock can be jumped and released over the waddles.

And we already knew that it wasn't Lucario or Ike. There are always n00bs with n00b guesses, so just let them be.

Top Bottom