• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

chaos 9

Smash Cadet
It might be olimar. Just putting it out there because hes fun to play but a bi*** to play against. His pikmin cant really contend with campers and he has a disadvantage on fast chars because he can be gimped easily and hit before he can pull pikmin.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Olimar's recovery was never considered good, was it?

I still think it can't be anything but Ike or IC.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
It might be olimar. Just putting it out there because hes fun to play but a bi*** to play against. His pikmin cant really contend with campers and he has a disadvantage on fast chars because he can be gimped easily and hit before he can pull pikmin.
Olimar's recovery is crap, still is. And it never "amazed" anyone in the beginning. So he fails at that criteria.
And Olimar is a pain, but so is Ike, DDD and Pit. And All three of those have more marks to the clue, then Olimar.
-t2

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Olimar's recovery was never considered good, was it?

I still think it can't be anything but Ike or IC.
When I first got the game, I still thought that Olimar's recovery sucked. Even if he's not edgehogged, it's still nothing compared to any of the multijumpers, characters with wings, or characters with an up b that makes them jump more than 1 inch in the air... Edgehogging just makes his crap recovery even more obvious. It's even worse than most of Melee's cast.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Update #10: ?????

After a bit of a delay, we've finally begun discussing the new character of the week. This character has some difficulty with some of the faster characters, as well as characters with strong projectile spamming games. This character's recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released, but now that the game has been out for longer we've come to realize just how easy this character's recovery can be to punish sometimes. Always be careful when you're playing against this character; even if you're winning, the game can turn around instant if you don't react fast enough. When all is said and done, this character can be fun to play with, but is rarely fun to play against.

Can you guess who next week's character will be?
I think its Luigi.
1. His recovery is pretty good. He has his second jump, Down, Foward, and Up B to choose from.
2. You always have to pay attention to his jab -> Up B combo because if you dont react fast enough you'll probably die.

Gamekidadv

Smash Cadet
I'm no Luigi player, but it doesn't seem to me he has any particular trouble with faster characters. And his recovery is solid, not really punishable as the hint mentioned.

soroush123

Smash Lord
"This character has some difficulty with some of the faster characters, as well as characters with strong projectile spamming games."

Ok, this means that
1: The char has somewhat slow moves, but not to the point that he'd get *****, or that he has some way of counteracting faster chars. Ike fits this a bit too well, as almost all of his moves, with the exception of Bair, Jab, UpB, and maybe one or two others are VERY slow (I don't play Ike, so I'm not 100%) DDD, on the other hand, has some fairly fast moves, including Bair, Nair, Uair, Dair, Utilt, Dtilt, and Ftilt. He can also push faster people away with his ftilt, as it's fast and has huge range. However, if fast people get close, there isn't much DDD can do, because his clear out moves are slow (maybe dtilt is faster, but not exactly sufficient), as an MK can Dsmash DDD twice by the time he spot dodges the first one and tries to Dsmash.

And 2:
They have trouble with good projectiles. Ike can't do much to most projectiles, while DDD can stop alot with Waddles, but some chars can spam fast enough to knock them away and hit DDD or just avoid them altogether (Pit, Rob, etc.) Fox's laser, on the other hand, is not nearly as bad for DDD as most other slow characters.

"This character's recovery seems great, and was quite intimidating when the game was first released, but now that the game has been out for longer we've come to realize just how easy this character's recovery can be to punish sometimes."

Both Ike and DDD fit this, though DDD's is WAYYYY better than Ike's, due to his jumps and massive up-B, however, even when canceled, the UpB has jag on it when you land, and he can't grab the edge unless he cancels it, which makes it harder to grab edges from way low, where you need to cancel at the apex of the jump. Ike's recovery, however, is just plain poor. It can damage you once he get's close to the edge and UpB's, but he can't do it from a distance, and his Side B is way to predictable too. He's essentialy wide open to WoP and edgegarding by char's that can follow far out, and he always has been, I was never really intimidated by his recovery.

"Always be careful when you're playing against this character; even if you're winning, the game can turn around instant if you don't react fast enough."

Ike and DDD have the two stongest Fsmashes in the game, I think. (I know DDD for a fact, not sure on Ike, regardless, Ike Fsmash will melt your face like the Ark of the Covenant.) However, not only do they have massive Smashes, DDD has the ever popular Regiside. You can be on a fresh stock edgeguarding him at 180%, then boom, you're both even again with one less stock. It's even possible for him to spit you out at the right plce and make it back if your char has poor recovery.

"When all is said and done, this character can be fun to play with, but is rarely fun to play against."

DDD Chaingrab, Waddle spam, regisdie, ftilt, and great taunts (Crouching :). Plus, he doesn't fight for his friends).

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's recovery is still somewhat gimpable, Up B is pure vertical, and I believe you can just block side B like Ike's.

-Hyrule-

Smash Rookie
"Always be careful when you're playing against this character; even if you're winning, the game can turn around instant if you don't react fast enough."

This instantly made me think Lucario. You could have Lucario at 150%, but he could turn around the match if you don't kill him quick enough.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
First impression: Diddy. But then I read more, didn't make sense. Second impression: Lucario (aura). Now I'm thinking Pit. DDD's recovery isn't intimidating... is it?

salaboB

Smash Champion
Ike's recovery initially scared me, he has issues with both faster characters and projectile spammers, and can turn a match around with one good smash if you get careless. He seems pretty likely to me.

Browny

Smash Hater
i dont see how dedede can change the battle in an instant though, unlike ike for example. unless dededecide is what they mean >_>

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
This just screams Dedede.

While he does have some fast moves, he still has trouble dealing with faster chars. His waddle dees do block most projectiles, things like Pit's arrows, Falco's lasers, and Zelda's Dins fire can get around them. His recovery seemed really scary when the game came out, with the SA and spiking w/ stars, but one can punish it rather well if they don't sweetspot the ledge. His chain grab can really turn the match around, not to mention he has a suicide, as well as powerful smashes(Fsmash anyone?) if your not paying attention. I also find Dedede rather fun to play as, but he can be a really annoying opponent to play against.

Ike fits most of the criteria, but he has trouble against pretty much all projectiles and his recovery never really seemed intimdating.

Lucario fits some of it, but he doesn't really have problems with fast characters or projectiles, and his recovery isn't intimidating at all.

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
Theres no way it's Pit. He has 2 reflectors and arrows. Projectile spammers cant do anything

I really think this one is DeDeDe

TyrantBandit

Smash Rookie
its gotta be ike it just has to. everyone thought ike's recovery was great in the beginning but now we know its pretty easy to gimp. Oviously he struggles vs projectile spammers and he can own slower character because his lag isnt as big a factor.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well DDD has some pretty hard hitting smashes, and the occasional Gordo (which moves crazy fast for such a huge projectile) can definitely turn the tide of a match at least as well as Ike could. But I think as far as tide turning goes, Luigi does it better than both imo. Fire Jump Punch, Green Missile (exploding), and his F-Smash are all incredibly powerful attacks for the amount of startup time, only problem with two of them is the issue of range, and the other is a bit random to be relied upon.

pKNeM

Smash Cadet
In terms of tide turning manhunter...I think DDD's chaingrab trumps Luigi lol. Also...playing against Ike is not generally considered unenjoyable and playing against DDD is. It has been quite some time since Ike's up-B has been seen as intimidating.

Valzek

Smash Rookie
Yeah my money's on Ike. The whole recovery thing fits him perfectly. Projectile characters can ruin his Grand Viper approach as well, etc etc. It's Ike any way you look at it.

Wyvernkni

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure it's DDD. Actually, I'm just as certain as I was with Link. Ike can't be it, because from what I've seen his recovery was considered BAD from the start, not good.

BTW: I guess I wasn't around SmashBoards when everyone thought Ike's recovery was good when it was first released. I always heard (and agreed) that Aether has too little Horizontal range, and Quick Draw is a much better option, but still not that stellar compared to other recoveries (Like DDD's, although I discovered that it's easier to stop than it seems, which leads me to believe it's DDD.)

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I dont see his chain grab as tide turning in quite the same way. Only on a walk off stage do I see it as truly tide turning. Luigi KOs at crazy low percents with Fire Jump Punch and Green Missle (when it explodes). But I can say that the chain grab thing can definitely fit the not fun to play against part very well, which is also where Luigi would place his aerial priority, which is just not fun to deal with.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Its probably Ike. MAYBE DeDeDe, but D3 has his own Projectile to help deal with foes, so he doesnt fit into theequation that well.

Vaul

Smash Apprentice
ike 100 percent... he fits the bill perfectly

Ironically, thats why its NOT Ike. Samurai Panda stated a few days ago that last week's hint was WAY too easy (which it was) and that he'll have to make next week's hint more difficult. Since Ike is the more obvious candidate given the description, most would easily expect him. I'm sure SP had this exact thing in mind when he wrote the hint. Just because they fulfill the criteria doesn't mean its them, and just because they don't personify certain qualities doesn't mean its not them (Ganondorf's 'devastating' aerial game anyone?). You really gotta think deeper than just relying on first impressions and what is obvious to virtually anyone.

My money's on Luigi, then DK. For the random/WTF character (as was the case for Week 8), I'm going with Bowser and....for the hell of it....Jigglypuff.

soroush123

Smash Lord
Anyone who says DDD can't turn a match around has obviously never played against or as him. Without proper DI, Bthrow --> Fsmash off the side of a level will kill almost any character at 0%.

Uchiha

Smash Rookie
This is my first post!

Don't worry I'm not new, I have just been a lurker.

I am 99.9% positive that #10 is Ike.

Browny

Smash Hater
Anyone who says DDD can't turn a match around has obviously never played against or as him. Without proper DI, Bthrow --> Fsmash off the side of a level will kill almost any character at 0%.
uhuh, i think youre forgetting the part where dedede's fsmash takes about a whole second to come out, and an uncharged one wont be killing off the edge until at least 30% for lightweights

Top Bottom