• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Http

Smash Cadet
Depends on your meaning of fast character, though. Sure, they're definitely meant to slightly slow "fast" characters, but really that's all that they'll do, and even then they're only average at it. A "fast" character won't be at bay from bombs/heat seekers for the whole match. If it's a good "fast" character, than probably not even for a significant portion of the match. And when said "fast" character finally learns the Samus' pattern of bombs/heat seekers and gets past Samus' bull****, then what? Samus gets *****.

Smashless

Smash Apprentice
i vote link for next week. he's campy against slow characters, but is still to slow to deal with fast dudes. Also, spacing is key to his projectile game and his big, fat disjointed hitbox.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
For those of you who don't know, the Smash Back Room is a private room that allows entry only to those in the community who have proven their skill in Smash over the years.
Nah. There are a lot of good players not in it, and a lot of not-so-good players in it. I was ranked in Melee and I'm doing amazing in Brawl and I'm a tournament host, but I'm not in it, for instance.

I'm surprised that the backroom thinks Ganondorf is actually good. I play him a lot, and I think he's the worst character in the game and haven't changed my mind on that since the game came out. He has no answers to camping. Camp him and play defensive. He can't approach.

BibulousDan

Smash Apprentice
Wow. whoever saw ganon coming eh? Moving on im gonna say that next weeks will be Bowser. cant be samus cuz in the hint it says, they cant do much against campers. well samus CAN camp, so shes out of the question

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
WTF at Ganon being good.

Next week is Lucario.
@#$%!!!

LUCARIO IS NOT CAMPY OR SLOW, NOR DOES HE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH FAST CHARACTERS. *POUT*

This character has a difficult learning curve as spacing is essential. This character can stop most campy characters from camping, spams all over slow characters, but is still too slow to do anything to a fast character. There is no doubt this underplayed character can become amazing in the future, but a few glaring weaknesses will probably prevent this character from ever reaching some of the higher tiers.
...Oh. This is ambiguous as always. D:

Well, I apparently failed last time, but I was half-way close! Captain Falcon's almost Ganon, right?

Mmkay. Let's try again and hope for the better.

Let's start with everyone who hasn't been chosen, because we can knock off 8 people off the bat.

DeDeDe
DK
Snake
Bowser
Falcon
Ike
Ganondorf
Link
Wolf
Wario
Yoshi
Samus
ROB
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Mario
Luigi
Pit
Sonic
Ness
Marth
Diddy
Lucas
Toon Link
Ice Climbers
Falco
Peach
Pikachu
Olimar
Zamus
Zelda
Shiek
Meta-Knight
Kirby
Fox
G&W
Jigglypuff

Now, who can stop most campy players from camping, while spamming against slow characters?

DeDeDe
DK
Bowser (Sorry buddy, you have too much problems against camping)
Falcon
Ike
Link
Wario (Bike doesn't count)
Yoshi (Eggs aren't THAT good at spamming slow characters)
Samus
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Mario
Luigi
Pit
Sonic
Ness
Marth (Sorta. Give 'em the benefit of the doubt)
Lucas
Toon Link
Ice Climbers
Peach (Sorta. Give 'er the benefit of the doubt)
Pikachu
Olimar
Zamus
Zelda
Shiek
Kirby
Fox
Jigglypuff

Kay, now who has a learning curve that is incredibly reliant on spacing? (I use spacing very loosely, as in not an in-your-face character)

DeDeDe
Link
Samus
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Mario
Pit
Ness
Marth
Lucas
Toon Link
Ice Climbers
Peach
Pikachu
Olimar
Zamus
Zelda
Shiek
Fox

Okay, who has more-than-usual problems with fast characters?

DeDeDe (er, benefit of doubt)
Link
Samus
Lucario
Pit
Marth
Toon Link
Olimar (er, benefit of doubt)
Zelda (er, benefit of doubt)

Okay, who is underplayed with glaring weaknesses?

DeDeDe
Link
Samus (benefit of doubt)
Olimar
Zelda (No glaring weaknesses?)

Zelda, Link and Samus are the top two for me.

It's tough to choose, but I'm leaning more towards Link, as he has many more glaring weaknesses, but has tons of potential as well.

Also, Samus' weaknesses aren't as obvious as Link's.

KingK

Smash Apprentice
Agreed, Link / Samus / Zelda.

Zelda was the first that came to mind when I read the hint, but Link could also make sense, and Samus wouldn't be too surprising either.

Though Gannondorf really came out of left field this week so it could be somebody totally different.

Shök

Smash Champion
It's probably Link.
Marth is Very Reliant on Spacing, howver, he has no problems with fast people and HE IS NOT UNDERPLAYED.

Popertop

Smash Champion
I actually said Ganondorf a couple days ago but people seemed to just ignore it. -.-'
Love for Old Manondorf just doesn't seem to be abounding.

Wow, I just looked at it with Bowser in mind and it starteed screaming at me.
It is soo Bowser.
Kitamerby, you said Bowser has too many problems against campers, but you give Marth and Peach the benefit of the doubt? What's up with that? Whatever. You clearly don't know Bowser very well.

Any Bowser that doesn't space is punished horribly, he can infinite jump over/around most projectile campers to get inside, and fire breath works wonders on the slower characters like Ike and Ganondorf.
He still struggles with the faster characters, especially those with disjoints(i.e. Meta, Marth) as only a couple of his moves have reasonable startup (fortress, claw, fair) but most of his moves have punishable lag that fast characters walk all over.
Bowser has potential that most people don't realize, but sadly, his gimpable recovery, his lack of options for quick startup moves, and a plethora of characters that disrupt his rythym and combo him to hell and back prevent him from being noticed and having a shot at the upper tiers.

Anybody care to rebut this?

:)

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I actually said Ganondorf a couple days ago but people seemed to just ignore it. -.-'

It is soo Bowser.
Kitamerby, you said Bowser has too many problems against campers, but you give Marth and Peach the benefit of the doubt? What's up with that? Whatever. You clearly don't know Bowser very well.

Any Bowser that doesn't space is punished horribly, he can infinite jump over/around most projectile campers to get inside, and fire breath works wonders on the slower characters like Ike and Ganondorf.
He still struggles with the faster characters, especially those with disjoints(i.e. Meta, Marth) as only a couple of his moves have reasonable startup (fortress, claw, fair) but most of his moves have punishable lag that fast characters walk all over.
Bowser has potential that most people don't realize, but sadly, his gimpable recovery, his lack of options for quick startup moves, and a plethora of characters that disrupt his rythym and combo him to hell and back prevent him from being noticed and having a shot at the upper tiers.

Anybody care to rebut this?

:)
All true, but Bowser cant spam back to spammers. And he does have issues with campers because hes to big. And i dont believe bowser is as underused as Samus or Link

lorddave551

Smash Apprentice
Based on circumstantial evidence like Kyari posting a lot in the Link forums i think it is Link. The description also fits link to a T. You need to space well, spam very well, he sucks against faster players, has a few glaring shortcomings like his recovery, and he is severely underplayed partly due to Toon Link. What really got me though was the steep learning curve. Link's projectile game takes A LOT of time to master. Most players are only used to one or two projectiles with their character, but managing and mastering 3 into a coherent fighting style is very difficult. Link also has a tendency to linger towards the middle/bottom of the tiers so forming him into a decent character takes a lot of work and adds to the steep learning curve.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero

It is soo Bowser.
Marth is much much much faster and more mobile than Bowser, able to close distances much easier than Bowser. He seems honestly to have much more luck than Bowser against campers. Peach has the same mobility advantage, and her ducking allows her to avoid some projectiles, while her floating, turnips, and all around mobility allow her to spam back if need be. Bowser, however, is NOT able to counter spam anyone at all unless either their projectile sucks or they're REALLY REALLY REALLY bad at camping. I know very well that a good Bowser can get around camping, but due to Bowser's immense size (even when crawling, wtf?), very low mobility, immense size, relatively slow-to-come-out projectile for its distance, Bowser as a character is extremely easy to camp when compared to others. Also, Bowser eats fast characters with low range for snacktime. Even when infinite jumping, Bowser's still a gigantic target and is somewhat vulnerable during the rise or something if I remember correctly.

Don't get me wrong, I love using Bowser, but while he might fit this somewhat well, he doesn't fit it AS well as Link or Samus.

Falcon...Puuunch!

Smash Cadet
This is the second and last time I'm going to say this. LETS TALK ABOUT GANNONDORF INSTEAD OF WHO WE THINK WILL BE THE NEXT CHARACTER. We're not doing a spec of good this way.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
Link is my guess. Ganondorf, man, that kind of throws the only discussing good characters thing out the window.

EDIT: Individual threads are made for the discussion of the week's character, this thread is meant for speculation.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Note that this thread is NOT used to discuss specific characters, please post your opinions and analysis of them into the threads linked below there names. The purpose for this thread is for discussion of this idea in general, as well as guesses for next week's character.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=170448

...that is the Ganondorf Discussion thread.

[edit]

...@quote.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Offhand, I'm thinking Zelda, Jigglypuff, Marth, Dedede, Cap, Link, Wink, and ROB.

Rob's already been discussed, there's no freaking way Marth isn't high tier, and Captain doesn't have projectile spam.

Zelda, Jiggly, Dedede, Link or Wink.

Wind Waker Link seems 'fast enough' that he couldn't apply. Dedede doesn't seem spammy enough.

Zelda just seems like the likliest choice. Din's Fire spam is amazing, she can be all over you in the air or on the ground, but still is too floaty and sluggish on the air/ground to be able to whup Metaknight or Marth.

I think that they just tossed out saying anything about her recovery to throw us off.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
This is the second and last time I'm going to say this. LETS TALK ABOUT GANNONDORF INSTEAD OF WHO WE THINK WILL BE THE NEXT CHARACTER. We're not doing a spec of good this way.
This thread is for the discussion of who the next update will be, not for discussing the current character. That's why there are links to the threads where you can discuss each Character currently covered by the SBR. :p

IDK who the #9 character could be, it's a little too vague for me to give an educated guess. I suppose it could be DDD but the hint doesn't really encompass him very much.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Personally, I think it's most likely Link or Samus. Samus may be more likely, as she has better options for eating through other projectiles.

Kay, now who has a learning curve that is incredibly reliant on spacing? (I use spacing very loosely, as in not an in-your-face character)

Zamus
I'm assuming you haven't actually looked much at Zamus. She actually has a very steep learning curve, because her game is almost all about spacing. She has such great range that you can't not space while playing her.

Of course, she's not the character this time around, but it's more because she has trouble outcamping a lot of characters, and can often go even with a lot of the faster characters.

JJR.O.B.

Smash Ace
This character has a difficult learning curve as spacing is essential. This character can stop most campy characters from camping, spams all over slow characters, but is still too slow to do anything to a fast character. There is no doubt this underplayed character can become amazing in the future, but a few glaring weaknesses will probably prevent this character from ever reaching some of the higher tiers.

to play as D3 you really have to space out your air attacks and your waddle doos

D3 projectile cancels out most if not all projectiles

D3 can also use his sideb to camp against other people

D3 is one of the slowest characters in the game and against someone such as marth, MK or TL he stands no chance

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Offhand, I'm thinking Zelda, Jigglypuff, Marth, Dedede, Cap, Link, Wink, and ROB.

Rob's already been discussed, there's no freaking way Marth isn't high tier, and Captain doesn't have projectile spam.

Zelda, Jiggly, Dedede, Link or Wink.

Wind Waker Link seems 'fast enough' that he couldn't apply. Dedede doesn't seem spammy enough.

Zelda just seems like the likliest choice. Din's Fire spam is amazing, she can be all over you in the air or on the ground, but still is too floaty and sluggish on the air/ground to be able to whup Metaknight or Marth.

I think that they just tossed out saying anything about her recovery to throw us off.
Nice breakdown. I'm convinced. Except din's isn't that great. Any character with a projectile except DDD should be able to "outcamp" Zelda.

goodkid

Smash Lord
It has to be Zelda this time, Zelda is not such an easy character to learn, and tons of spacing is required for all the lightning kick sweetspots.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It could be Zelda, due to the fact she's underplayed, her fB is amazing fast, and she can camp and stop campers with it, and has a bright future (compared to Melee). But probably not. Zelda's glaring weakness is sluggish and light, but it doesn't seem to fit in my opinion. It could be wrong. She's been underestimated, but not too heavily.

It could also be Toon Link, though probably not. probably not, since he has essentially been considered a top tier for a solid 4 months. He's never really been underestimated, or at least not much.

It could also be Zamus, but probably not, since Zamus has been costantly been considered good. But probably not mainly because Zamus' only spam attack is her nB, and it's for leading up with combos, and doesn't have a gigantic weakeness outside of "the basics."

The chances of it being Link seem high. He can spam, he can stop spamers by spamming back. He's also got a lot more potential them people give him. However, he lacks a gigantic glaring weakness other then speed (which isn't very big of a weakness). He's got a lot of fairly big sized problems-but people still work around him. That's essentially where I doubt it's him.

However, I think it's most likely Lucario. Spacing is essential to Lucario, and Lucario's fAir and dAir can kill campers, and his nB can camp. He's rising and is a bit underplayed, and could have a amazing future ahead. And his weakness-he's not amazing at too many things, and he's a gamble character with his aura powers, and the aura damage-strength system.

Of course there are other characters that it could very well be De3 (as one of them...though his fB doesn't seem as useful as Lucario's nB), Yoshi (he's MASSIVELY underused), etc. All in all-anything can happen. :) Whoever guesses it right wins a cookie (since there are so many great arguements as to who it is). A virtual cookie! :laugh:

All in all, I think it will be a character that isn't already done, and is playable is Super Smash Bros. Brawl (which I doubt any of you have heard of). :laugh:
Teh mindgamez

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Nah. There are a lot of good players not in it, and a lot of not-so-good players in it. I was ranked in Melee and I'm doing amazing in Brawl and I'm a tournament host, but I'm not in it, for instance.
I dunno what to say. Maybe you should try applying? If you make good, intelligent contributions to the boards, and your reputation is as good as you say it is, then you might get in.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice

to play as D3 you really have to space out your air attacks and your waddle doos

D3 projectile cancels out most if not all projectiles

D3 can also use his sideb to camp against other people

D3 is one of the slowest characters in the game and against someone such as marth, MK or TL he stands no chance
You forgot to address "There is no doubt this underplayed character can become amazing in the future, but a few glaring weaknesses will probably prevent this character from ever reaching some of the higher tiers."

D3 is quite popular and is near the top in most informal tier lists.

Top Bottom