• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Prediction - Olimar.

Just read this every week until I'm right. I'd rather do it this way than spam the same guess every week.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
By haxing.
Dude who says the character has a fine recovery but smart gimping will kill him?
You don't even need smart gimping for Ganondorf.
Bad hint johns allowed ****it!
Screw it...

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DU- BRAWL!

In a week or so since I have no wifi by being in PA.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
You're in PA? I'm in northern MD, come to Crit Hit 3 in July, we'll MM for the right to have bad hint johns.

Finch

Smash Lord
lol @ 90% of the guessers being wrong. I thought ganon right after I read the hint but I was one of like 2 people who guessed him.

Vaul

Smash Apprentice
Next week's character will be a fun one to talk about. Underestimated by many, this character has a devastating aerial game that will surprise you when it takes you out at a low percent. But on the ground this character doesn't have very many options against long range or projectile spamming characters other than one of their B attacks. And this character's recovery can be fine sometimes, but against smart opponents this character can be gimped quite easily
This is the most useless thread ever.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Oh wow he has ONE good aerial that can be used beyond short hop level and be effective.
Overall his aerial game is poor.
Yeah he has powerful aerials, but the problem is that their usage becomes limited beyond shorthop level 9other than the Dair)

As for his recovery? Its worse than Falcon's end story. Not fine at all.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
I believe that #9 will be pit.

This character has a difficult learning curve as spacing is essential.
With Pit spacing is very important. Pit's Learning curve is very steep, due to the many "Advanced techniques" that he has as well as utilizing all of them as well as mastering them in battle regularly.

This character can stop most campy characters from camping
Pit can easily camp back with arrow, as well as having two reflectors to stop projectiles. And can use his multiple jumps, glide and WoI to weave through projectiles and bring the battle face to face.

spams all over slow characters
Arrows, what more can I say?

but is still too slow to do anything to a fast character
Fast Characters can get inside of pits arrows, leaving him with close combat, which isn't exactly the best.

a few glaring weaknesses
Up b gimp, very detrimental to a Pit players, as well as few kill moves which dont kill reliably till over 100%.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
New hint is up. I can't decide if I said too much or if I said too little, but I guess we'll see what happens.

And as for the last hint, well, I was hoping people would catch onto the "fine" instead of "good" part, but I've noticed that when I throw syntax into a hint, it throws everyone off =/

EDIT: I changed a few words in the last sentence. Although I doubt many people have read the hint yet, so it doesn't really matter ^_^

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
olimar? he's not too fast and he prevents most campers from camping. better versus slow characters and has a deep learning curve. He's underplayed also. You've given away to much Panda. :)

sagemoon

Smash Lord
The biggest part of this hint is Kyari. Checked his posts and most are from the link forum (is this considered cheating?). But yeah, if the hint was taken from a post Kyari made, then link is the most likely answer

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Link makes sense, especially considering the Kyari thing, but I dunno about "difficult learning curve"

Just for reference, is PT gonna be split up or count as one character? Cause I really wanna say Ivysaur, who definitely has a much steeper learning curve than Link.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
The biggest part of this hint is Kyari. Checked his posts and most are from the link forum (is this considered cheating?). But yeah, if the hint was taken from a post Kyari made, then link is the most likely answer
Rofl. Kyari has been participating in the SBR discussions for awhile now, despite the character. And doesn't Kyari main G&W?

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Holy crap, I didn't even think of Ganondorf.

As for next week, I think it's Pit:

-He has quite a difficult learning curve (arrow use, learning to glide well)
-He can prevent camping with his shield, flying around the projectiles, using his forward b and spamming his arrows
-He spams all over slow characters with his arrows
-Faster characters could still get through the onslaught of arrows.
-His weaknesses would be that he doesn't have very many kill moves, and even still, said kill moves need quite high percents to even be kill moves.

EDIT: Augh, now that I read the new update, I don't really think that Pit is underplayed. Not sure who it could be now. *thinks*

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
edit: read that wrong

This hint is even more vague than last week, it could be almost a dozen characters.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
My money is on Link, has a bit of a learning curve due to projectile-based game (namely the superlative spacing it requires to be effective). His projectiles also make him very difficult to camp against.

But his low speed makes it difficult for him to compete with characters that are faster.

Slower characters however, he can easily spam all over.

Granted, a good amount of this can be applied to Toon Link, however there's no mention of the areal game (aka, back-air of doom), so I think it's more likely that we're dealing with Link himself. Also the never reaching higher tiers makes Link more likely, since Toon Link is generally considered a high tier character.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Update #9: ????

This character has a difficult learning curve as spacing is essential. This character can stop most campy characters from camping, spams all over slow characters, but is still too slow to do anything to a fast character. There is no doubt this underplayed character can become amazing in the future, but a few glaring weaknesses will probably prevent this character from ever reaching some of the higher tiers.

Can you guess who next week's character is?
I need to thank Kyari for half of this hint, as I took something Kyari posted and made it ambiguous ^_^
Sonic!
[x] Difficult learning curve (so say most people)
[x] Spacing is essential to avoid priority issues
[x] Makes it pointless for a campy Pit to spam arrows, among others. Camping doesn't usually last long against a Sonic, so it forces them to rely on more defensive melee moves.
[x] (CAN) spam attacks (in combos) on slow characters
[x] "Too slow" ... people say his attacks start too slow. Smashes, special attacks (at least, charging moves), among others.
[x] Has problems against fast attacking characters due to their attacks coming out and outprioritizing his moves
[x] Underplayed, definitely xD

[x] Has the potential for a 5+ hit 40+ damage combo (would be amazing if it could be mastered xD), has a major punishment game to take advantage of, and an amazing recovery that, if he had better damage and priority, would make him broken...

must be Sonic xD

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I think it's Link. In fact, Im almost POSITIVE it's Link

This character has a difficult learning curve as spacing is essential. This character can stop most campy characters from camping, spams all over slow characters, but is still too slow to do anything to a fast character. There is no doubt this underplayed character can become amazing in the future, but a few glaring weaknesses will probably prevent this character from ever reaching some of the higher tiers.

Projectile game. Hard to master, NEEDS good spacing.
Projectile spam again, especially on slowpokes.
Link is slow and always has been
Link is underplayed. You dont see Link that often ever since Toony came in
Slowness, bad recovery, poor airgame, the kind of stuff that puts a characters tier placement down

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Sonic!
[x] Difficult learning curve (so say most people)
[x] Makes it pointless for a campy Pit to spam arrows, among others.
[x] (CAN) spam attacks on slow characters
[x] Has problems against fast attacking characters due to their attacks coming out and outprioritizing his moves
[x] Underplayed

[x] Has the potential for a 5+ hit 40+ damage combo (would be amazing if it could be mastered xD), has a major punishment game to take advantage of, and an amazing recovery that, if he had better damage and priority, would make him broken..

must be Sonic xD
2 words in the hint kill that...

"Too slow".

"but is still too slow to do anything to a fast character".

If there is anything sonic is NOT it's "too slow".

Tenki

Smash Hero
I edited it a bit since the first time I posted it

People rant on about how 'slow' Sonic's attacks are all the time. Granted, I don't feel it much, maybe out of being accustomed to it, but you rack up damage on someone and now you're stuck trying to hit them with B-air, F-smash, D-smash, Homing Attack - all moves that either have long startup or keep Sonic in a state for too long if you miss the move.

PS, if SBR is being vague and going all "SURPRISE! WRONG CHARACTER!" on people, "Too slow" is such a good throw-off. Not to mention it's Sonic's most effective weapo- err taunt.

Top Bottom