• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Grunt

Smash Master
Olimar was constantly talked about here, and so was 3D, but to my observations Olimar hasn't dropped off of the radar too much, but is really the only "unusual" player due to his need for pikmin. without them, he is screwed, with htem, he is a damage racking beast. Personally i have been playing Olimar more, and would love to see what the SBR thinks.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
For the record, I hate the back button(literally typed up the entire post and accidentally pressed "backspace" and ended up ruining everything I had just written.....
*sigh* I'll do my best to rewrite it.

Anyways, my bet is on wario. Here's why:

1) The post hints that the character is new. An old character wouldn't be unusual per-say, nor would there be a huge amount of hype about them if they were old.

2) I'll go character by character why I think it isn't each one of the new characters

a) Diddy Kong: He has a projectile, but this projectile seems to be a failure in my opinion because of the angle of fire(but I'd be happy to see myself proved wrong =]). He has some good moves, but the main reason I don't think it's him is because there didn't seem to be a huge amount of hype about him when the game was coming out. In fact, a lot of people seem incredibly disappointed about his moveset. At least, that's all how I saw it.

b) Ike: I want to just stop with he's not really an unorthodox character. The only REALLY unusual characteristic I see in him is that his weight to power ratio. Other than that, he has a good offense, but his attacks come out too slow to put constant pressure on someone. Also, I think only AFTER brawl came out people really appreciated him, and they still seem to appreciate him a lot.

c) DDD: DDD is a bit strange, but as far as I know, he wasn't incredibly underrated when the game first came out. Nobody seemed to like him that much. It wasn't until recently that I've started to see him in doubles pairings, and a few singles. His randomized projectile attack is alright, but i wouldn't say he's great at putting on a "constant" pressure.

d) Lucario: He can put on a constant pressure and can pester the hell out of someone with his disjointed aura/hit boxes. I would say he would be an alright be since his damage increasing power attribute makes him very different, but the hint included that few seems to play him correctly. I took a random interest in Lucario recently and looked at the Lucario boards. In fact, I was impressed by all of the work they had done, and the skill of some of the lucario players. Because of this, I'm given reason to believe it's not lucario.

e) Pikmin and Olimar: Most definitely strange. Nobody has a moveset like his. He is capable of putting a constant pressure on an opponent with his pikmin, ranging from his incredibly strong fire pikmin, to his yellow stunning pikmin. However, I don't think he's very underated. People recognize his skill, but a lot of them seem to be following through with it, making good use of his super armor when switching order, utilizing the variety of attacks availble via changing the pikmin type, etc. He's a good canidate, but I don't feel he's quite fitting for the hint.

f) Pit: He's honestly not strange other than having a new moveset in my opinion. In fact, he seems pretty reasonable, excluding his INSANE recovery...which I find has it's biggest weakness in the fact that he has horrible DI control in the air when recovering from an attack(he just keeps flying and flying...in the opposite direction I want to go!) There was a good hype about him, but it hasn't died per-say. As everyone tends to argue, he has a lot of potential and not everyone is using it, but there still seems to be a good "fan" base for people with pit so I'm inclined to say #5 is not Pit.

g) Poke Trainer: The hint implies it's a single character. While it could be a single one of the pokemon, I'm feeling both too lazy to write an individual analysis of each one, and feel that squirtle was the only pokemon initially hyped about, and he, along with ivysaur(who some people seem to be in love with) and charizard are being used as well(even I keep them as a backup!). Also, to me pt is like a summary of the different play styles, so he's unusual in that he can change pokemon, thus changing play styles, but in another way, is actually the very essense of ordinary by representing the framework of each play style.

h) R.O.B.: How many people even knew that much about him when the game was coming out to really give a hype about him? Granted I think he has some potential and he is underplayed at this point in time, I think he lacked the hype to grant him position number 5. He seems to have a good offensive game, but I don't think he's an expert at keeping "constant" pressure.

i) Sonic: I'm just going to leave it at this: he's not underplayed at all. I don't even need to say more than that lol.

j) Toon Link: See sonic.

k) Zero Suit Samus: Strange? A bit. Hyped up initially? You bet. Died down a bit? I think so. People not using her ability to the fullest? Most likely. So what is it that's keeping me from thinking it's zamus? To be honest, I'm just going with my gut on the word "unusual" for this one. I think that my biggest argument is that wario outweighs zamus' unusualness.

3) So, why IS it wario? Well....

a) "This character is an unusual one for sure.":
To me, wario is the epitome of weirdness. He is unpredictable, has a very strange moveset, and is the most annoying character in the game. Everything he does is up there with kirby's ability to repeatedly say "bye" in the most annoying way possible. I mean, how weird and humiliating is it to loose in the finals of a tournament because someone farted on you? Then there's his bike which honestly doesn't resemble anything another brawler has. Very unusual indeed.

b) "There is a ton of potential that nearly everyone can see, but not many seem to be using it!"
Wario has tons of potential. Half of the potential lies in the fact that nobody knows what the hell he's doing. The rest of it is in the fact that his moveset is pretty good. His recovery, as we've seen is really good when done properly(he has his double jump, a fart, AND an up-b, not to mention horizontal distance gained by his bike). His air moves are pretty good as well, though they don't have disjointed hitboxes as it seems every character does these days.

c) "This character received much praise when the game was first released, but has recently dropped of everyone's radar."
This part makes me a little doubtful. I'm not sure exactly how much wario was "praised" when the game was first released. But it's certain that he's dropped out of a lot of people's radar. Most people forget he's even in the cast sometimes.

d) "But with this character's ability to put the pressure on opponents with a constant offensive game, will this character be overlooked for much longer?"
Wario is a melee fighter(no not in the smash bros: melee sense). But I mean the actual definition of melee. He fights close up. The fact is, when you combine unpredictability and confine that character with someone in close range combat, it's hard! Most of his moves literally go from "wario standing", to "wario's hands/feet/butt are in your skull." Not to mention, he has a pretty good speed on him and a decent knockback for most of his moves. All of these together make me pretty certain he has a good, constant, offensive game.

4) Summary: I'm honestly too lazy for this now. But I'd like say most convincing points are the "unusual" and constant offensive in my opinion.

Hope I'm right so I don't look like a total scrub when everyone yells at me for my horrible analysis of characters! xD
(P.S. more like so others don't REALIZE I'm a total scrub lol)

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
I'm saying again it is Marth. Not only does he p0wn everyone but now he is actually pretty close to the description! My second guess is probably Sonic...

Trillion

Smash Ace
Sonic is new and unusual. He's constantly viewed as being low tier if not bottom tier. Not many people are trying to main him because of his high learning curve which most people refer to as being to hard to get a kill. He is very very good at keeping on the pressure due to his speed. I think he will be #5.

Browny

Smash Hater
wow this one is cryptic as all hell...

ill go through the newcomers i think it cant be...
MK, Snake, Wolf :>
Sonic (he was never praised from the start, that will happen later on)
Lucario, same as sonic, he will prevail in due time.
PT, hes never shown any amazing potential
Ike, same as PT
Toon Link, Lucas and Pit have never been underused, and i doubt they ever will be

so that leaves Olimar, Wario, ROB, DeDeDe and Diddy.

But i think we all know Olimars potential (****) and Diddy's supposedly good potential relied on the fact that opponents were unaware that anyone can pick up his bananas and level the playing field.

Wario and ROB seem to have the best potential we are aware of, and pro players are doing very well with them. However i feel it must be DeDeDe now. Look at early pages of the tier list thread, everyone put him at top once they saw his fsmash kill mario at 23% on final destination, he was majorly overused in early tournaments but his popularity is dropping very fast, considering how high it was to begin with.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
not wario, not many were talking about him at first, and diddys bananas were hyped as brokenly good, and pit, toon link, and dedede are severely underrepresented at tournaments, maybe not online, but definitely in tourneys.

this leaves one option, clearly #5 is jigglypuff

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Luigi since he was hyped as "top tier" in the early days, but no one even talks of him anymore. Also he is very strange.

If I had to make a second choice, I would go with Diddy.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Sonic is new and unusual. He's constantly viewed as being low tier if not bottom tier. Not many people are trying to main him because of his high learning curve which most people refer to as being to hard to get a kill. He is very very good at keeping on the pressure due to his speed. I think he will be #5.
Except he's not all that good and his offense is crap because he'll get outprioritized right and left if he tries to simply attack. Which means he actually has to outcamp people despite having no projectiles.

I heard some people guess Diddy Kong, someone suggest Luigi, and I think those are indeed possible. I personally suggested Olimar, but I dunno at this point.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol @ wifi sonic users.

do us ALL a favour and go watch some pro sonic videos of tourney winners, then come back and discuss sonic. im sure youve all done the same for MK, Snake and Wolf.

Bud

Smash Journeyman
yes G&W is awesome, you forgot that his key has a fast fall cancel by pushing down, and his up b can lead to linked up and down combos because it stalls you and can be attacked out of. Also, his up smash is rediculous if you havn't been using it right, it kills most characters at 75-85%. Other than that he was described pretty well.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Oh snap... it's Sonic. His speed and lack of a projectile forces him to be a character who not only should but must constantly pursuit his opponents to keep pressure.

This was posted on February 4th... aka before BOTH release dates:

While the SBR releases the Official list (about each year) that doesn't mean there can't be any discussion about Brawl's potential tier list.

I'll begin by saying that I think Sonic/Pit/Meta all look at least mid tier or higher.

We'll have this discussion topic open until the backroom releases the first tier list, which won't be for many, many months.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I think its Lucas, mostly because he was a ton of hype right after release, and while he definitely isnt underplayed, I dont think he is getting nearly as much attention as he did about a month ago. Dropping off the radar doesnt really mean nobody plays them in my opinion, just that they arent the character on everyones mind at the time.

As far as his gameplay goes though he definitely can be considered an offensive character since his PK Fire is very spammable and he has a number of quick attacks that are difficult to punish. And well Im not really sure how unusual he is, but he does have the wierd hitboxes that tend to come with using attacks that are not entirely physical.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
This is a hard one...either Diddy,Pit or even Sonic.
Im going with Diddy........
PS:Great work for the snake info.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
So far these look fantastic. The G&W overview scares me.

Diddy is still too popular to be #5. Sonic seems to be the most likely candidate, but it could also be Olimar or even PKMN Trainer.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess Marth.

When the game first came out, everyone thought Marth was the best character in the game.

Then, people started camping and they thought he sucked 'cause he didn't have a projectile.

Then talk about him just kinda stopped. He's actually one of the best offensive characters in the game, so why aren't people talking about him?

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Olimar will be next I think. I'm glad I use game and watch as my tertiary/secondary already, now I can't be blamed for switching cause he is good.
This is a great thread, keep it up!

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
They described Snake pretty well. He's awesome just because he has almost no weaknesses. True, he is susceptible to his own projectiles, but he makes up for it with his weight. He is the third heaviest character in the game (after Bowser & Charizard) & unlike most other heavyweights, he doesn't suffer a significant speed deficit. He also has no problem KOing (uptilt is godly). Really, his biggest weakness is probably recovery.

Also, for the next character, I think it's Pit.

killaxmayne

Smash Apprentice
My money is on Ike and if not, Pit.

Olimar can be offensive but is often considered a campy character (though I play him offensively). Plus, he and Diddy weren't talked about that much when the game came out, unlike Pit (who still garners some attention and is overplayed in my area) AND Ike (who is overplayed in my area still but not so much overall)

Top Bottom