• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Crow!

Smash Lord
The hint given for #17 matches the way I describe Ike's play almost perfectly. He is the only character who has an easily punished lag on EVERY smash, tilt, and aerial (though Bair comes out quickly even it is laggy). Side-B and Up-B are sufficiently good and fast that the mere threat that Ike could use them limits opponents' options, much like Falco's reflector. Like everything else of Ike's, however, a whiff from either can spell disaster.

If Ike has the potential to deal with the likes of MK, I'd be among those to be surprised. Ike needs to avoid taking a single hit or else he will be off balance for a long time; against the likes of MK there isn't always a way for someone with as few good options as Ike to avoid taking at least one hit.

Yoshi's aerials are not, in general, punishable if blocked - Yoshi typically invokes a hit and run with a single jump with his absurd air speed, putting him out of range of retribution. Spot dodge, maybe, but with that wagging tail, typically not. Besides, a lot of Yoshi's air game auto cancels. His tilts aren't so slow either - ftilt maybe, but even that is not so bad. His problems lie in priority, range, and damage much more so than speed.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
"Can be punished if missed or blocked." If they wanted to say "dodged" they would have said "dodged."

As the actual statement is, I really can't think of many characters it applies less to than Olimar.

Crank

Smash Apprentice
"Can be punished if missed or blocked." If they wanted to say "dodged" they would have said "dodged."

As the actual statement is, I really can't think of many characters it applies less to than Olimar.
Spot dodging the attack would count as "missed or blocked" imo

Wouldn't it be quicker to spot dodge then punish then block then punish anyway?

Popertop

Smash Champion
Spot dodging the attack would count as "missed or blocked" imo

Wouldn't it be quicker to spot dodge then punish then block then punish anyway?
some characters have crappy spot dodges, and some characters have attacks that are very effective at punishing spot dodges.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Lol Sliq...

I'm changing my guess to Bowser just because of that. Hell, I'll change my guess to anybody for you, good buddy. No homo, though, and by "no homo" I of course mean lots and lots of homo. :O

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Ill put my money on Yoshi....

Most people think Yoshi sucks but there are defenders. Yoshi also has a chaingrab on meta....which is the matchup mentioned in the hint. His second jump has SA so he is harder to gimp with meta.

he does have many useless specials in my opinion. Yoshi bomb is as usless as bowser bomb and egg roll....Lol still needs more priority to have any decent applications.

It is also hard to follow up Yoshi's standard be with any sort of combo other than taunt.....

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Yoshi doesnt have super armor. He has juggernaut frames. Its a difference. Basically though, if you hit Yoshi hard enough when he is doing his second jump (I think its determined by damage dealt in a *single* hit) then he will still go flying. Granted this actually is effective against Metaknight due to his low damage and multi-hit attacks, but Yoshi has no super armor, and thats something that does need to be understood.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Yoshi doesnt have super armor. He has juggernaut frames. Its a difference. Basically though, if you hit Yoshi hard enough when he is doing his second jump (I think its determined by damage dealt in a *single* hit) then he will still go flying. Granted this actually is effective against Metaknight due to his low damage and multi-hit attacks, but Yoshi has no super armor, and thats something that does need to be understood.
They're still super armor frames, it's just a % of SA frames. Normal SA frames have 100 % immunity against attacks, but Yoshi's revolves around a certain % so that it's invulnerable to weaker attacks. If I recall correctly, there was even a calculation for this in SSB64, but that might've been for Giant DK instead.

Sliq

Smash Master
Here is this thread expressed in visual form:

"It's obviously Yoshi because I'm ******** and think Yoshi has not only GOOD specials, but necessary specials, never mind the fact that almost all of his specials suck ass and are hardly used."

"It's obviously Mario because his aerials are easily punished (they aren't) and half of his specials are garbage."

"It's obviously Ike because Ike has good specials (he doesn't) and obviously does well against MK, despite doing very badly against MK."

Seriously, everyone in this thread is this kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9o5_W6hn9k

You are all ********.

Top Bottom