• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Yoshi anyone? Or Pit. Most likely pit, because the technique wingdashing or whatever seems like what Panda is talking about. Unless there is some advanced tech for Yoshi that creates mindgames?

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yoshi anyone?
I thought Yoshi too the first time I read it, but two flaws is "Good against Snake" and "Great Priority".

Yoshi does not handle Snake well, even if you know how to use him, and most of Yoshi's attacks don't have much priority in them. Now, if they Replace Snake with MetaKnight, and got rid of the priority stuff, then it would be more like Yoshi, but it isn't.

The other stuff fits him good (Except I wouldn't consider his Projectile "Awesome", but it is better than you might suspect).

I got to go with everyone else and say this week is Pikachu, though it might be the Climbers too... but mostly Pikachu

Yaya

Smash Champion
If the hint was, Use this character's Down Throw if the opponent picks Fox, then it would definately be Pikachu.

Bladehero

Smash Rookie
I5's most likely Olimar. Olimar is beating snakes in the wc but everywhere else its not as prominant. Props goes to Mr. X

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
first thing that came into my mind was TL. Reading some other answers, like Yoshi, it could be him, but i really don't thing so. He doesn't exactly have a RIDICULOUS projectile game I mean. And fianlly the hint came up :D

.selebu

Smash Journeyman
"Depending on the region where you live, you could think this character is horrible or that this character is incredible. And depending on who you talk to, this character could have a great matchup against Snake, or could have a bad matchup against him."
I dont know about the region thing, but Pikachu sure has a good matchup against Snake ^^'

"But everyone can agree that this character is awesome at punishing even the smallest of openings that your opponent shows."

Pika can combo pretty good, so that could be meant by this. Show one little opening and get hit 5 times. Also F-Smash.

"Include this character's awesome projectile game, ridiculous priority on some attacks, and incredible mindgames because of certain techniques, this character has quite a bit of potential. But only certain people can truly use (or even see) this potential, which is likely why there is such a difference in opinion."

Awesome projectile for sure. Ridiculous priority on many attacks and QAC for one of the best techniques in Brawl as of now.
And the thing about the potential also fits the little rat.
Many ppl dont bother looking closer into him because he is just that annoying Pokemon i guess.

So, im going for Pikachu again, but i already said its going to be him 2 times ^^

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Oh yeah... i forgot about that lol :) i'll use my pic i was using to use the process of elimination to narrow down the chars... i'll post my results later :D

edit: Oh SP forgot about the hint lol, no wonder.

edit2: Ahh ya it could be Pikachu... Ridiculous priority, i agree! (Down B+Dsmash and may be some others). And ya some would (i would) agree that Pikachu is good against snake, or at least has SOME things good against him. And Dsmash... its an awsome punish move! Yes mindgames with his QAC/Up B and stuff, and may be jumping up to shoot Thunder Jolt and trick him that you're approaching/ not approaching (shoot then retreat or shoot then approach). or like side dodge then punish with dsmash ( i do that a lot)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Olimar. Lucario's projectile game is decent, and they would have mentioned lingering hitboxes. Ice Climber's projectile game is terrible.

Peter_Parker

Smash Cadet
NNID
thomfolk
3DS FC
3368-2346-7128
Update #15: ?????

Depending on the region where you live, you could think this character is horrible or that this character is incredible. And depending on who you talk to, this character could have a great matchup against Snake, or could have a bad matchup against him. But everyone can agree that this character is awesome at punishing even the smallest of openings that your opponent shows. Include this character's awesome projectile game, ridiculous priority on some attacks, and incredible mindgames because of certain techniques, this character has quite a bit of potential. But only certain people can truly use (or even see) this potential, which is likely why there is such a difference in opinion.

Olimar.

Pikmin are one of the game's top projectiles and can stop just about any attack if you time it right (Pikmin Throws and smashes).
His aerial game is of the highest priority along with Ness & few others.
And his smashes, throws, and Pikmin Throw all have incredibly similar start up animations, giving potential for awesome mindgames.
I don't understand how players don't see Olimar's potential.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
PT!

Squirtle for Mind Games
Ivysaur for Razor Leaf
Charizard for Priority!

lulz just kidding.

It's Either Peach or Olimar

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
Lucario and Olimar seem very likely. I'd have said it was Marth if it weren't for the projectiles thing.

Lucario was the first thing I thought of when I read the hint, but I think Olimar fits the Snake part better. I'll go with Olimar.

Scala

Smash Ace
Haha, I'm fairly positive this is pikachu. Panda always complains talks about how a snake will never win against a good pikachu, his dsmash has very good priority, has a good projectile game.

AlexX

Smash Ace
I don't understand how players don't see Olimar's potential.
It's funny, really... People who get destroyed by good Olimars put him in the top tiers, Olimar players put him in high tier, and people who have never played a good Olimar (which is fairly common since you don't see too many Olimar players running around in general, let alone good ones) place him in the mid or low tiers because he doesn't look that devistating.

My vote is Olimar, too.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Thank goodness Sonic doesn't have an awesome projectile game. I saw a bunch of new random people I've never seen before in the Sonic boards and I thought it was a bad premonition.

Gooo Olimar!

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
pit vs snake is a horrible matchup. but based on region Pit is very good on the west.
same could be said about wario but wario doesnt have projectiles. Im learning more on Pika then on Pit

Browny

Smash Hater
Olimar. Lucario's projectile game is decent, and they would have mentioned lingering hitboxes. Ice Climber's projectile game is terrible.
if they mentioned lingering hitboxes that wouold give it away instantly, hardly any characters besides lucario have any lingering moves (G&W fsmash... thats it?)

Nitrix

Smash Ace
My guess is Pikachu

Depending on the region where you live, you could think this character is horrible or that this character is incredible. And depending on who you talk to, this character could have a great matchup against Snake, or could have a bad matchup against him. Pika is generally seen as a good matchup But everyone can agree that this character is awesome at punishing even the smallest of openings that your opponent shows. Pikachu is quick to punish alot of people with his speed Include this character's awesome projectile game Thunderbolt, Any1?, ridiculous priority on some attacks, D-SMASH ZOMG and incredible mindgames because of certain techniques Quick Attack Cancels, this character has quite a bit of potential. But only certain people can truly use (or even see) this potential, which is likely why there is such a difference in opinion.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
just to be random, i say mario

but i have a more pressign issue, why do all the sonic mainers think that its going to be sonic every week, me included.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
subscribe to every single character thread? but there are at least a thousand of them! where do you get the time to read all of them? i could never do that! i can hardly go on the computer thanks to my parents!

mimic_king

Smash Lord
by the way, i think that update #15 is Lucas. he has great projectile game, he has many mind games thanks to his unique attacks and he can create astounding combos with his PSI attacks.

by the way, the fact that DeDeDe being one of the fastest fallers in the game isn't exactly a good thing. Roy was one of the fastest fallers in Melee, and you know how that turned out. fastfalling can lead to harder recovery and being faster on short jump aerials.

DonTe

Smash Cadet

Depending on the region where you live, you could think this character is horrible or that this character is incredible. And depending on who you talk to, this character could have a great matchup against Snake, or could have a bad matchup against him. But everyone can agree that this character is awesome at punishing even the smallest of openings that your opponent shows. Include this character's awesome projectile game, ridiculous priority on some attacks, and incredible mindgames because of certain techniques, this character has quite a bit of potential. But only certain people can truly use (or even see) this potential, which is likely why there is such a difference in opinion.

Can you guess who next week's character will be?
Olimar. While Pikachu is also a good guess, the first and last sentences give it away.

Depending on the region where you live, you could think this character is horrible or that this character is incredible. ... But only certain people can truly use (or even see) this potential, which is likely why there is such a difference in opinion.
Olimar is thought to be HORRIBLE due to his recovery. However, once that person plays against a good Olimar player, that person will notice that its not that big of a weakness because Olimar is very hard to knock out, or even approach. Olimar's has incredible priority on many of his moves and is very hard to approach or defend against. Plus, with good DI, recovery wont be too much of an issue due to Brawl's floatiness.

Olimar is a better punisher than Pikachu. If there is an opening, Oli could SideB in almost every situation and the Pikmin will do insane amounts of Damage. Some of Pikachu's attacks have lag at the end, so he can only punish in some situations.

Olimar.

asob4

Smash Champion
at first i thought it was wario due to the regional differences (amazing in so cal, not so amazing everywhere else) until i saw projectiles
i'm going with my love olimar :DD

AlexX

Smash Ace
but i have a more pressign issue, why do all the sonic mainers think that its going to be sonic every week, me included.
I'd personally ask the same of Lucario players... Every week they say the hint matches Lucario perfectly, regardless of how much it actually does. Same thing happened with Toon Link before he was done, too.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Hate to break it to you, but Olimar is pretty obviously a good character in every way except recovery. It doesn't take an exceptional player to figure out Olimar has potential, as the character has the longest grab range in the game, coupled with high-priority projectiles and smashes with huge, disjointed hit-boxes. I have a hard time believing Olimar has "difficult to see potential" when compared to Pikachu.

EDIT: Oh, and us Lucarios are both extremely spammy, unfocused, and comical all at the same time. We love to add useless, humerous posts all over our boards, and sometimes, it spills over into discussions that could potentially concern Lucario.

So yes, many of us Lucario board guys say its Lucario every week to lighten up the mood, and because we want it to be Lucario a little bit even when he is not the best choice.

bombr

Smash Cadet

Can you guess who next week's character will be?
I'm thinkin' Pit. "Certain techniques" probably refers to Wingdashing, Arrow Looping, or possibly Divebombing. It's hard to deny that Pit's arrows aren't "awesome."

Pikachu? Tjolt is good and he does have the QAC, but... I don't know. I just have a bias towards Pit. :chuckle:

Olimar? I play Olimar and he really doesn't have anything that fits into the category of "Certain Techniques" that have "Incredible mindgames."

Pit is the master of ATs, no doubt, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was Pika.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I hope it's not Olimar only b/c I don't like the description. It's not giving Olimar the rep he deserves. ^___^ His potential is easy to see in my eyes, but to some people, he just sucks b/c his bAwD RecAvAwyzorzorzorzzz!! His SA is probably the "certain techniques".

Has Diddy had his week yet? It's sounds kinda like Diddy.

asob4

Smash Champion
i thought so too. Futile is raaaape.
SoCal is TOOOOO GOOD
PAAAAALMMDAAALE
sorry had to

hmmm i'm still going with olimar as some people discredit him a lot
and my friend who knows mookierah and was with him for like 2 weeks straight told me mookierah knows how good olimar is and yeaahhh
i got talked about a lot over there cause my friend

M@v

Subarashii!
Its probably olimar for reasons stated. However, it could be fox as well. Some are thinking HOW FOX?!?! Let me break it down.

Depending on the region where you live, you could think this character is horrible or that this character is incredible.
I think this is referring to online wifi. Fox is a character that works of speed and quick combos. Its quite difficult to accomplish either when there is significant lag.

And depending on who you talk to, this character could have a great matchup against Snake, or could have a bad matchup against him.
And Im one of those people who thinks its a great matchup for fox. Force snake to approach, foxs blaster negates his grenades. And utilt>snake. But some believe since fox is so light, snake walks all over him with his tilts. And usmash stops aerial apporaches.

But everyone can agree that this character is awesome at punishing even the smallest of openings that your opponent shows. Include this character's awesome projectile game, ridiculous priority on some attacks, and incredible mindgames because of certain techniques, this character has quite a bit of potential.
Foxs speed allows him to quickly deal with any mistakes with devastating combos. Quoting someone from the fox boards, (along these lines) "As fox, wait or force your opponent to make a mistake, and make him pay dearly for it with several combos"
The projectile game is ok on fox, this is the part that makes me doubt its him. Its good for forcing apporaches, but thats about it. Ridiculous priority for fox=Nair, Dair, Usmash.
Mindgames= Foxs usmash. Oppoents always have to keep it in their head, since it can send them to an early death. Fox's potential lies in his combos.

But only certain people can truly use (or even see) this potential, which is likely why there is such a difference in opinion.
Many think he sucks now because of nerfed shine. They turn a blind eye because he is not a godly unstopable being anymore. But he still is a very solid character, high tier in my opinion. Only the fox players that invest and practice can see the abilites fox holds, mainly his ability to rack up insane damage amazingly fast.

Its just my opinion. Olimar fits the bill too, and i think the main thing that shows this isnt fox is the projectile game.

Top Bottom