• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data "Smash Ain't no Joke" - Little Mac Matchup Discussion Thread

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Is there a consensus on who Mac is a particularly good choice against? I know people generally avoid him against floaty aerial based characters like Peach and Jiggs I guess, but who does he really shine against? Seemingly Lucario - due to Mac's high KO power, and KO Punch vs Aura mechanics. Characters who can't particularly challenge his ass recovery? Being able to kill makes me want to choose him versus almost everyone - but then he can just be gimped like nothing. He's so strong yet unreliable. Such a weird character.

Oilpath99

Smash Cadet
Is there a consensus on who Mac is a particularly good choice against? I know people generally avoid him against floaty aerial based characters like Peach and Jiggs I guess, but who does he really shine against? Seemingly Lucario - due to Mac's high KO power, and KO Punch vs Aura mechanics. Characters who can't particularly challenge his *** recovery? Being able to kill makes me want to choose him versus almost everyone - but then he can just be gimped like nothing. He's so strong yet unreliable. Such a weird character.
Robin and Zelda get rekt by Mac in my experience.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Surprised no one has mentioned ZSS. She's just fast enough to avoid your moves, and she's able to zone you out and still grab you for the punish.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I was using Mac earlier against Ludwig and I swear to god I could barely touch him. I don't know if Bowser Jr. crops up for anyone else (or if I was just having a particularly lousy match :p)

Meyguhmein

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shino.Nano
3DS FC
3540-1270-5229
Can anyone elaborate on how Ness is a good counter against Little Mac? I haven't played many good Nesses in For Glory so I have little knowledge of how Ness is played.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Can anyone elaborate on how Ness is a good counter against Little Mac? I haven't played many good Nesses in For Glory so I have little knowledge of how Ness is played.
PK Fire can act like a barrier to prevent mac from getting too close. That and Ness can easily gimp with PK Thunder, especially considering how bad Mac is off stage.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Dthrow fair can carry you offstage consistently. We also can't do a great deal about PK Thunder edgeguarding. We just have to take it or hope they don't expect a counter and loop it around to the other side.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
For me it has been
:4dedede:: The only match I had against Dedede was terrible. He just waited on the edge and used B. There is no other way for me to approach him. Once I'm swallowed, he turns around, falls off the stage, and if I manage to break free, or get spit out, I'm WAY ahead of my point of no return. So... if aerials are a joke, and my only means to approach the guy is to run AT him... What am I supposed to do? Wait for him to spam gordos? I could punch them back, but when he catches on to my game, he'll just stand there waiting. It's not like D3 gets tired of inhaling. (I think?).

:rosalina:: She's HUGE. And her grab range is equally huge. There's almost nothing I can do against a grab-happy Rosalina.

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
For me it has been
:4dedede:: The only match I had against Dedede was terrible. He just waited on the edge and used B. There is no other way for me to approach him. Once I'm swallowed, he turns around, falls off the stage, and if I manage to break free, or get spit out, I'm WAY ahead of my point of no return. So... if aerials are a joke, and my only means to approach the guy is to run AT him... What am I supposed to do? Wait for him to spam gordos? I could punch them back, but when he catches on to my game, he'll just stand there waiting. It's not like D3 gets tired of inhaling. (I think?).

:rosalina:: She's HUGE. And her grab range is equally huge. There's almost nothing I can do against a grab-happy Rosalina.
Nah, there's a solution to this man. You can get into D3 inhale and jab, you'll hit him before you get into his grab hitbox and get him in a jab combo, with that in mind this strategy is done (and this works with Kirby too). I found that the best move to send Gordos back is usmash, i mean, you'd think they would go upwards but no, they go directly to him. Spaced Ftilts hit him out of Dash attack and dash grab, timed smashes hit him out of aerial approaches. With that i don't think this MU is that hard.

About Rosalina i don't know, i haven't faced a good one, it could be difficult but i just don't know about the MU o.o

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Nah, there's a solution to this man. You can get into D3 inhale and jab, you'll hit him before you get into his grab hitbox and get him in a jab combo, with that in mind this strategy is done (and this works with Kirby too). I found that the best move to send Gordos back is usmash, i mean, you'd think they would go upwards but no, they go directly to him. Spaced Ftilts hit him out of Dash attack and dash grab, timed smashes hit him out of aerial approaches. With that i don't think this MU is that hard.

About Rosalina i don't know, i haven't faced a good one, it could be difficult but i just don't know about the MU o.o
Thanks a lot! I haven't played against many D3s, but I'll definitely try that.
I'm slowly getting used to the Rosalina matchup.

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
Jiggly isn't very hard to defeat. They usually shorthop, making it easy for you to land a quick Side-B. I'd say Mac's worst matchup is Diddy Kong, Dedede, or a good Lucario.
Lucario: His aura mechanic makes him susceptible to early KOs due to edgeguarding. Mac cannot take advantage of this.
Dedede: Strong, ranged, powerful projectile, and a gimping king.
Diddy Kong: Bananas leave Mac with no place to approach, because you should never really be that comfortable with jumping as Mac.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Could you elaborate on this? His aura makes him easier to gimp is what I'm reading
He means that Lucario's recovery, while godly at higher percents, covers much less distance at lower percents before it gets the aura boost, theoretically leaving him prone to early gimps. That said, it's still an above average recovery even at 10~20% and Lucario's pretty light anyway...

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
:4zss:
Can barely do jack against her.

:rosalina:
Her grab is beyond annoying, and she's a great edgeguard against Mac.

Other than these two, not many other characters give me instant hell.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
It wasn't me who was getting annoyed but I felt like torturing a half-way decent Little Mac(he didn't accidentally kill himself so there's that) with Link. I didn't do anything but spam my bombs and boomerang and I managed to get him to above 350% before I noticed that he disconnected. I was still at 0%

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
I was using Mac earlier against Ludwig and I swear to god I could barely touch him. I don't know if Bowser Jr. crops up for anyone else (or if I was just having a particularly lousy match :p)
keep the pressure! jr's sheildgrab is subpar and he can't really punish rolls with d-smash, especially MAC's... but Jr is awesome off-stage, if the guy has guts and you aren't in position to counter you are deader than usual in this scenario.

if you can somehow counter Upb2...oh boy.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Bowser Jr isn't a tough matchup for Mac. Went 2-3 against UltimateRazer in a WF's set and every match was down to last hit. I'll post more on the topic when I get comp access about it.

Any tips on Greninja? Realized if you're playing someone who knows the mu, they completely destroy you. 60-40 their favor imo.

M@v

Subarashii!
I don't know who mac "wrecks" yet, but robin is starting to seem like a good matchup. Super arnor also is a godsend vs rosa luma, but i wont go and say thats a good mu yet. Bad matchups? I think a good Doctor Mario or Mario is darn near unwinnable; maybe like a 30:70 or 20:80 ratio. I've played the mu as doc a lot, and if I get a grab, its either going to be me juggling you for a ton of a percent, or a btbrow where your only hope of making back safely is a well timed up. Side b too low I get a free cape; too high I regrab you and toss you back off stage.

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I've played many games against a decent Greninja. I've lost a few but won much more. I don't think it's tough match up at all. If he tries to zone you with Water Shurikens just block them. Many Greninjas will try to condition your blocking and go for a dash grab. If you see this kind of approach drop shield and Ftilt. It beats the grab every time. If they like to charge water shuriken run and dash attack/grab. I've noticed lately a lot of people can't react to a dashing Mac at mid range.

One of the main things I do when fighting Greninja is watch the ground. I keep my eyes on the ground to constantly watch for Shadow Sneak. A blocked or whiffed Shadow Sneak is a free punish because it has so much lag.

The hardest part to this match up is getting put in the air. Greninja can juggle Mac very well and Uair will destroy you if you don't get to the ground quickly. Mix up Counters and fast falls. When put off stage, always try to go for Up b. If not, try to delay your jump and side b as long as possible. Greninja's Up b windbox will end you if you're caught during/after side b.

Edgeguarding Greninja is all about timing. A well timed Dsmash beats the up b.

I actually think this match up is in Mac's favor. I don't have a number for it tho

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
I am a Mac main and I have went up against several ZSS and I can't seem to get around to a good position to get some hits in. They always do the stun blaster into grab. Please help if you have any tips or ideas. I really need it.

EvilDaniel

Smash Rookie
Hi, im an avid Little Mac player: Im certain im not the best, but oh boy am I good with him.
Now, when I play, either for glory, or with a local connection at school, I almost always end up losing to Pit.
What suggestions can you guys offer? Im aware I commit mistakes, and would love to hear advice from fellow boxing champions.

I usually stay away from them, faking my entrances, and either going in with dash attacks, or (CAREFULLY) using my jolt haymaker if they have time to load a second shot.
I also suggest that, when they go for the grab, roll towards them, so you set yourself behind ZSS, and proceed to punish her for whiffing her whip.
Aditionally, if you punch the bullet/bolt, it dissappears, giving you some time to strike back, as long as you hit it with a jab, rather than with a dash attack.
Im no pro, but I know my Mac, anything you need, ask, and I will do my best to answer

I like going against good Foxes: even if the matchup is usually in Fox's favour, id say theres plenty of space to outmanouver him on the ground.
I also noticed that jabs beat his dash attacks. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the 'dorf matchup yet.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Oilpath99

Smash Cadet
Omfg, I hate playing against Ness. I can barely beat my friend's Ness with Mac even though I'm clearly the better player. The Matchup is something like 70/30 in favour of Ness.

Regarding the above post about Ganon, I think Mac beats him, but Ganon has the tools to fight him off as well. I'd say 55/45 Mac.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I like going against good Foxes: even if the matchup is usually in Fox's favour, id say theres plenty of space to outmanouver him on the ground.
I also noticed that jabs beat his dash attacks. Can anyone confirm?
Little Mac's jabs beats nearly everything, lol, it's a 1 frame move. Simply ridiculous.

I dunno if it's in favor of Fox, I'd argue it's even. Fox has to rely a lot on baiting counters, spot dodges, etc, basically play a defensive bait and punish game. But yes, Mac does outmaneuver Fox in the ground: Mac is just a little faster than Fox in terms of running speed, his attacks have a tad more reach, and his low cool-down and super-armor smashes means Fox has to be on his top punish game to win this matchup.

On the other hand, Fox has many ways of getting Mac in the air, and it's GG for Mac unless he can properly read and react to what Fox will follow up with. This is where the baiting that I mentioned previously comes into play from the Fox. Fox's D-smash also sends Mac in a very horizontal trajectory, often sending Mac to his doom.

I used to john about this matchup all the time not too long ago, I don't anymore though. Seems more like 50:50.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I'm not the greatest Mac player around, but so far in my experience, Marth/Lucina seems kind of easy for me. Matchups like against Samus feel like hell sometimes though.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Samus is tough because she can pressure you with projectiles and force to shield while having a tether grab to grab you out of shield from distance. Best thing to do is inch your way in with your shield and Ftilt, Fsmash, or even side B Samus's grab approach. Side B might even be the best option because she might be able to out range Ftilt and Fsmash with her grab. Jumping is also not a bad idea. Against someone projectile spamming you, you can pretty much jump->FF for free to dodge projectiles. Just know when you're too close to keep jumping. Rolling can work too but it's more of a commitment.

You have to stay on her and can't let her start her projectile game. That's where Mac struggles. Especially on flat stages because there's no where to really go to avoid them.

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
Honestly, I have no problems with Little Mac in any matchup. I can put up a decent fight with anyone on the roster. Except for one: Pikachu. I just have NO idea whatsoever how to approach a good Pikachu. He will spam his thundershock so your movement on the ground will be limited (which is Little Mac's best area to boot). If you try to approach him by either rolling or jumping, he will punish you because of Pikachu's quick moves. On the other hand, if you try to shield or avoid the thundershocks, he will approach you together with the thundershock. This means either you will keep shielding to protect yourself from the thundershock and Pikachu will grab you as he comes along with it. Or you roll backwards and Pikachu will come running at you and do a dash attack.

Thoughts on how to counter this?

Last edited:

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Honestly, I have no problems with Little Mac in any matchup. I can put up a decent fight with anyone on the roster. Except for one: Pikachu. I just have NO idea whatsoever how to approach a good Pikachu. He will spam his thundershock so your movement on the ground will be limited (which is Little Mac's best area to boot). If you try to approach him by either rolling or jumping, he will punish you because of Pikachu's quick moves. On the other hand, if you try to shield or avoid the thundershocks, he will approach you together with the thundershock. This means either you will keep shielding to protect yourself from the thundershock and Pikachu will grab you as he comes along with it. Or you roll backwards and Pikachu will come running at you and do a dash attack.

The best way to punish is by perfect-shielding the shocks. Some time in practice mode will get you acquainted with the timing, and when you shield at just the right moment you'll be able to act out of it more quickly.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is there a consensus on who Mac is a particularly good choice against? I know people generally avoid him against floaty aerial based characters like Peach and Jiggs I guess, but who does he really shine against? Seemingly Lucario - due to Mac's high KO power, and KO Punch vs Aura mechanics. Characters who can't particularly challenge his *** recovery? Being able to kill makes me want to choose him versus almost everyone - but then he can just be gimped like nothing. He's so strong yet unreliable. Such a weird character.
As a Villager main, I have a hard time against good Little Macs. Thanks to having one of the worst grabs in the game and a lack of "OH GOD GET OFF ME" attacks, I find it easy to be overwhelmed by him. Granted, Villager destroys him off stage but getting to that point can be a struggle. Villager has range for days but if Little Mac can get in quick, there's not a whole lot of things that Villager can do to regain control of the situation aside from actually landing a shield grab or getting Mac in the air.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Lately, I've been having lots of trouble against :4robinm:.
:4ness: isn't much of a problem. Seriously, "PK..." DENIED! :GCR::GCB:
:ganondorf: It's a bit of a problem. Have to go all defense on this guy, otherwise I'm going to get FTilted to oblivion.
:4littlemac: Little Mac is essentially Little Mac's worst enemy, IMO. Two hits is almost all it takes.
:4link:At one particular point 2 weeks ago, there was an increase in Link usage. And good ones at that. Really hard for me to get through their wall o' spam of arrows, boomerangs and bombs.

:4fox: Agressive Fox players can do a number on me. I haven't really lost to them so far, but it definitely felt like the match was never in my favor until I happened to land a well placed Dsmash.

:4shulk:Usually not a problem a Mac, but I have a friend whom I can barely touch as Mac. Shulk's nair performed close to the ground will make Mac flinch enough for him to perform a AAA combo. Rinse and repeat, and Mac's high enough in percentage to get KO'd.
Add the monado range factor for Shulks who like to chase off the stage, and you're in for some seriously early gimps.
:rosalina:I've been learning this match up slowly. Luma isn't much of a problem to me, in fact, I use them to build my KO meter. Her grab is still a b**** to deal with.
:4megaman:I'm a Megaman main myself. I think this matchup is 50:50, 55:45 in Mac's favor at most. Megaman's aerials are kind of hard to land on small grounded targets, meaning the fight must take place on the ground. Megaman's got range and better grab range, and most definitely better follow ups to grabs.
:4zss:IMHO, every character is bad against ZSS.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
As a MegaMan main what is your strategy against Mac? I played a MegaMan on For Glory once and got destroyed. He did an onslaught of short hop Metal Blade to grounded Crash Bomber. Little Mac has no projectile so I was forced to approach. As I tried to inch my way in I was met with a dash attack or grab. When I got grabbed, I was thrown off stage then Dair'd to death every time. I seriously felt like there was nothing I could do in the match up. Enough to put it heavily in MegaMan's favor. What do you think @ shinhed-echi shinhed-echi ?

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
Desperately looking for a sparring partner to help me learn how to play against little mac. I main Princess peach. I can't ever seem to deal damage and when i manage to knock him off the edge and i try to edge guard he counters me,. I also want to learn how to punish rolls, punish the easy mode roll-then jolt haymaker. My NiN is Mrawesome48

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
As a MegaMan main what is your strategy against Mac? I played a MegaMan on For Glory once and got destroyed. He did an onslaught of short hop Metal Blade to grounded Crash Bomber. Little Mac has no projectile so I was forced to approach. As I tried to inch my way in I was met with a dash attack or grab. When I got grabbed, I was thrown off stage then Dair'd to death every time. I seriously felt like there was nothing I could do in the match up. Enough to put it heavily in MegaMan's favor. What do you think @ shinhed-echi shinhed-echi ?
With Megaman (and any projectile-based character really) I like to play the air Mac game. Most people expect Mac to stay on the ground all the time. Use this knowledge to your advantage. When they start spamming projectiles, just jump to them. If you time this right, you can shorthop and fastfall right next to them when they're still in the ending lag of their projectile animation. That's when you can punish them extremly hard.

As for off-stage, try to be unpredictable. If you recover with side-b very early on, they will be caught off-guard as most people assume you will do this closer to the ledge. If this isn't a viable option, come as close as possible to the wall of the stage and up-b your way to the ledge. Use some airdodges on the way to avoid Megaman's Dair.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
As a Villager main, I have a hard time against good Little Macs. Thanks to having one of the worst grabs in the game and a lack of "OH GOD GET OFF ME" attacks, I find it easy to be overwhelmed by him. Granted, Villager destroys him off stage but getting to that point can be a struggle. Villager has range for days but if Little Mac can get in quick, there's not a whole lot of things that Villager can do to regain control of the situation aside from actually landing a shield grab or getting Mac in the air.
Have you not played stock market villager? Try harassing him with turnips and slingshot. WE CAN'T DO A THING! Stay in the air with short hops and edge guard with slingshot and llyod rocket. My brother mains Villager (and he's an ex olimar main from brawl). It's...a terrifying match-up.

Last edited:

TheOnlyGBeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
G-Beast
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
Bowser Jr isn't a tough matchup for Mac. Went 2-3 against UltimateRazer in a WF's set and every match was down to last hit. I'll post more on the topic when I get comp access about it.

Any tips on Greninja? Realized if you're playing someone who knows the mu, they completely destroy you. 60-40 their favor imo.

As a Greninja main, I am pretty convinced that the MU is like 70-30 favoring Greninja. None of mac's attacks can get past his bair, and if the Greninja is good at spacing/timing fair then... I fear for you.

In addition to that, Greninja's uthrow->uair combos or just uthrow in general cause mac a lot of problems, as Greninja is so fast that he can be very difficult to hit for mac and he has a great projectile to further complicate things. I just don't see what mac can do to a Greninja that knows what they are doing

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Surprised no one has mentioned ZSS. She's just fast enough to avoid your moves, and she's able to zone you out and still grab you for the punish.
With Zero Suit Samus it's all about making her whiff her grab. You can punish her hard when she does so. I usually jump a lot in this matchup to avoid the grabs and projectiles.

In my opinion this is a near unwinnable matchup. I mean yeah I clobber a lot of Ness players for free, but Melborune, Australia's best player mains Villager and Ness. I can not touch this girl's Ness. She uses PK Fire exceptionally rarely so if you're throwing out Jolt Haymaker then you're going to be grabbed. Ness is one of the few characters that can punish a max distance Little Mac forward tilt against a shield with a dash-grab due to Ness's crazy grab range.

Oh and Ness's dash grab is just good in general. The constant threat of PK Fire means you can't just dash in or you'll get PK Fire'd into a grab, but if you're too hesitant than you'll just be dash-grabbed.

Any competent Ness has basically won the match once they get that first grab. It's tough to perform because the timing and positioning is different since the patch, but Ness can still do three forward airs out of a down throw. If you're near the ledge when Ness grabs you then you'll be just shy of the blast zone after the third forward air. Ness will just go back to the stage and you will just fall to your doom.

For me it has been

Someone else mentioned jabbing against Dedede's inhale. Here's what I had to say about his forward-tilt.
As for Rosalina I feel the match up isn't too bad. Anyone dashing in for a dash attack or grab always lose out to forward tilt. If she's trying to space carefully and attack with Luma then you can just side smash through Luma AND hit Rosalina. Depending on positioning of course.

Jiggly isn't very hard to defeat. They usually shorthop, making it easy for you to land a quick Side-B. I'd say Mac's worst matchup is Diddy Kong, Dedede, or a good Lucario.
Lucario: His aura mechanic makes him susceptible to early KOs due to edgeguarding. Mac cannot take advantage of this.
Dedede: Strong, ranged, powerful projectile, and a gimping king.
Diddy Kong: Bananas leave Mac with no place to approach, because you should never really be that comfortable with jumping as Mac.
Lucario really isn't that bad. If Lucario tries to sweet spot the ledge you can bat it out with a well timed down smash. If Lucario recovers onto the stage there is to much landing lag(if Lucario doesn't land directly parallel to the ground) that you can slightly charge an up smash for lots of damage.

Dedede is a hard matchup, but far from unwinnable. Gotta watch that spacing.

Diddy Kong himself is just a really good character. But as the third fastest character in the game we can stay on top of him pretty well. If you're punching Diddy Kong every time he tries to pull out a banana then you're effectively removing one of his tools. Diddy is all about his grabs, if you don't let him use side+B or down+B then he has to work a lot harder to get his damage.

It wasn't me who was getting annoyed but I felt like torturing a half-way decent Little Mac(he didn't accidentally kill himself so there's that) with Link. I didn't do anything but spam my bombs and boomerang and I managed to get him to above 350% before I noticed that he disconnected. I was still at 0%

I personally find Link a really easy match up. He's just so slow both in movement speed and attack speed. There are a lot of characters with much faster projectiles than Link. People having trouble in this matchup need to learn how to approach projectile users. Link isn't really a factor.

I don't know who mac "wrecks" yet, but robin is starting to seem like a good matchup. Super arnor also is a godsend vs rosa luma, but i wont go and say thats a good mu yet. Bad matchups? I think a good Doctor Mario or Mario is darn near unwinnable; maybe like a 30:70 or 20:80 ratio. I've played the mu as doc a lot, and if I get a grab, its either going to be me juggling you for a ton of a percent, or a btbrow where your only hope of making back safely is a well timed up. Side b too low I get a free cape; too high I regrab you and toss you back off stage.
I wouldn't say Mario is near un-winnable. A top level Ness or Villager are much worse as both characters played at top level can easily take out Little Mac at 50% or less.

Mario is definitely very difficult as his down-air and back-air have next to no landing lag and are thus very difficult to punish. But of course the main problem is Mario's grab game. Still though if you're using properly spaced forward tilts and down tilts then Mario can't get the grab in. If he's getting the grab after you've already taken some damage then it is much easier to jump out of so he can't string together much damage.

You should almost always be recovering low against Mario. The cape and FLUDD can't do much when you're using Rising Uppercut to ride along the underside of FD/Battlefield/Smashville. though of course you should occasionally mix it up and recover onto the stage if you think Mario is gonna attempt running off stage into back air for a stage spike.

I've played many games against a decent Greninja. I've lost a few but won much more. I don't think it's tough match up at all. If he tries to zone you with Water Shurikens just block them. Many Greninjas will try to condition your blocking and go for a dash grab. If you see this kind of approach drop shield and Ftilt. It beats the grab every time. If they like to charge water shuriken run and dash attack/grab. I've noticed lately a lot of people can't react to a dashing Mac at mid range.

One of the main things I do when fighting Greninja is watch the ground. I keep my eyes on the ground to constantly watch for Shadow Sneak. A blocked or whiffed Shadow Sneak is a free punish because it has so much lag.

The hardest part to this match up is getting put in the air. Greninja can juggle Mac very well and Uair will destroy you if you don't get to the ground quickly. Mix up Counters and fast falls. When put off stage, always try to go for Up b. If not, try to delay your jump and side b as long as possible. Greninja's Up b windbox will end you if you're caught during/after side b.

Edgeguarding Greninja is all about timing. A well timed Dsmash beats the up b.

I actually think this match up is in Mac's favor. I don't have a number for it tho
I'd say the match-up is in Greninja's favor myself. It's not by much, but the massive range on Greninja's up-air, forward-air, back-air, and up smash allows him to bait out aerial dodges and Slip Counters really easily and thus he juggles Little Mac better than most characters.
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the 'dorf matchup yet.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
Ganondorf hits really hard. His side tilt and side smash can knock Little Mac pretty far away at mid-percents which means you can fall into the lower blast zone really early. Ganondorf's side+B grabs through Little Mac's side smash and the KO Punch so that's something you have to look out for. Especially since if you don't tech it than he can pop you into the air with down tilt and follow up with ap-airs.

Realistically though Ganon is a easy match-up as long as you play carefully. Ganon has no real way to approach. His aerials are not safe and if you stand just outside his side-B and down-B range than there's nothing he can do. If Ganon approaches you should always be beating him out with forward-tilt and if the big guy is using his tilts or smashes it's pretty easy to beat them out with your own side-smash.

Ganon's recovery path is also very limited and very easy to hit with down smash if timed carefully.

Little Mac's jabs beats nearly everything, lol, it's a 1 frame move. Simply ridiculous.

I dunno if it's in favor of Fox, I'd argue it's even. Fox has to rely a lot on baiting counters, spot dodges, etc, basically play a defensive bait and punish game. But yes, Mac does outmaneuver Fox in the ground: Mac is just a little faster than Fox in terms of running speed, his attacks have a tad more reach, and his low cool-down and super-armor smashes means Fox has to be on his top punish game to win this matchup.

On the other hand, Fox has many ways of getting Mac in the air, and it's GG for Mac unless he can properly read and react to what Fox will follow up with. This is where the baiting that I mentioned previously comes into play from the Fox. Fox's D-smash also sends Mac in a very horizontal trajectory, often sending Mac to his doom.

I used to john about this matchup all the time not too long ago, I don't anymore though. Seems more like 50:50.
Are you sure Little Mac's jabs are active on the first frame? Because I highly doubt that. They are pretty fast, but if his jabs were really that fast he'd be able to 100% punish the stand-up at ledge option, but he can't. Maybe it's only the very first jab that activates on first frame?

But yeah I think this match-up is even. Little Mac's jabs beat out Fox's dash attack and forward tilt beats out Fox's dash grab. Fox can get a free shot or two with his blaster, but he can't really do too much on the ground. Fox has very little end lag on both his neutral-air and down-air though so he can apply really good pressure with short hopped aerials if he hits the back of Little Mac's shield. Little Mac can land some free up smashes if he predicts the short hop and times it properly, but again Fox can empty short hop fast fall and grab the whiffed up smash.

Once Fox gets Little Mac into the air he has really good aerials for keeping him there.

Personally I've never faced a high-level Pikachu myself, but I've seen this kinda approach from Mario+Fireballs and Villager+Rockets. Generally as the projectile is about to approach me I'll use side-smash to armor through the projectile and punch my opponent in the face.

I personally find the match-up near unwinnable. Use the rocket to approach and grab just before it hits so you get the damage from it and your throw. If Little Mac tries to jump over the rocket then just use your slingshots to stop him. If he's prone to aerial dodging the second he's in the air then you can punish with up smash instead.

When Little Mac gets in your shield is your best friend. Little Mac can not combo or kill out of throws so don't ever be afraid to shield. If you block a dash attack than jump out of shield and use neutral air to throw Little Mac off of you. Your grab is slow, but it is long enough to punish max-distance forward-tilts on your shield. Once you get Little Mac off stage the game is yours.

If Little Mac uses Jolt Haymaker then you can slingshot to push him too far away to recover. If the Little Mac is prone to using Slip Counter than charge a bowling ball side-smash instead. This will push him too far away to recover.
If Little Mac uses Rising Uppercut to ride along the underside of the stage you should run off the stage and use either neutral-air or back-air to stage spike him.

Oh and if Little Mac grabs the ledge and uses either get-up-attack or stand-at-ledge both of those options lose to bowling ball side smash. This attack gives you a red lightning KO into the side blast zone at 40%
Alternatively use a pivot grab, which has crazy increased range that goes further than the net, to punish rolls from the ledge. Or simply neutral air if he tries to jump up from the ledge.

Forward tilt beats out Mega Man's dash attacks and dash grabs. Also jump now and then to get past projectiles.

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293
Personally I've never faced a high-level Pikachu myself, but I've seen this kinda approach from Mario+Fireballs and Villager+Rockets. Generally as the projectile is about to approach me I'll use side-smash to armor through the projectile and punch my opponent in the face.
I get the similarity but Pikachu with those thundershocks is a bit different. Pikachu is fast and can approach you together with the projectile, something Mario and Villager can't do. It's also really easy to spam, unlike Villager's rocket and - to a lesser extent - Mario's fireball. Because of those rapid thundershocks one after the other, super armoring through one means that the next one is definitely going to hit you. Good Pikachu's will notice this and do a last minute roll before your side smash, letting the thundershocks do the work instead. I also don't think super armoring through all those thundershocks is gonna be healthy for little Mac's hit percentage. Good Pikachu's tend to do this pretty far away in the stage and you wouldn't get close enough to smash them in the face as they'll just dash attack you (which has insane reach and will cancel your smash before super armor kicks in).

Can I just say: I really like your long in-depth post about Mac!

Last edited:

theta64

Smash Cadet
Anyone have any advice against small characters like kirby and jiggs? i seem to be having problems playing against them since most of my attacks go over them especially when they crouch. I feel like i need to read the player next move when they use those characters. its really hard matchup for me. didnt read through the entire post but any could advice would be great. I try d-tilt when ftilts dont reach but still pretty hard.

Top Bottom