• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data "Smash Ain't no Joke" - Little Mac Matchup Discussion Thread

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I played against a Pac-Man in For Glory yesterday and realized Mac has a tough time with characters with a tether grab. But then I realized it's really not that difficult. Approaching with spaced Ftilts is a great way to provide pressure. Unfortunately, this doesn't work as well with tether grabbers. They can easily shield grab if you try to spam Ftilt because of their great grab range. This can be solved simply by not spamming Ftilts. Throw out an Ftilt on shield and roll to bait the tether. If you roll back you can punish their lag with a dash attack, side b (if not too close to the ledge), or running Usmash. Be careful about rolling forward because you can potentially be punished if they decide to Dsmash or turn around jab/Ftilt instead of grab. If you bait the grab and forward roll then you have most of your arsenal at your disposal. Usmash, Dsmash, Fsmash(if not too close after the roll), jab combo, Ftilt, Dtilt, K.O. punch, etc

Highwayman300

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4527-8908-8969
Any opinions on :4littlemac: VS :4kirby: ?

Kirbys ability to stay in the air so far seems somewhat troublesome for Mac, and has the potential to beat him at early % when gimping.
Not to mention, apparently Kirby can also crouch under Mac's F-Tilt and even combo out of it with D-Tilt.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
One thing i'm sure a lot of Mac players are going to have to learn(at least as far as FD is concerned) is that sooner or later they HAVE to land and the fact the out usmash has armor on it and a good hitbox in general means that we can still make something out of campy situations like that. We just need to be patient. Also if they are blatantly crouching under our ftilt then just hit them with something that hits that low lol. We have some pretty fast low hitting moves. I know it could be tricky at times, but it's a situation that requires some reading.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
i don't main little mac but one but i am a Megaman and R.O.B main. I would say its :4rob::4megaman: 60/40:4littlemac:. gotta love ROBs gryos:troll:

CronoBJS

Smash Rookie
Little mac is a D tier character in sm4sh. I don't know about the rest of the cast but little mac VS king ddd, is a no contest. Little mac has no chance against ddd. I could chain combos on him all day, he can't even stand off the edge for too long, that drops him down 2 tier levels for a terrible off edge game. If no one believes me I'll 1v1 and smash little mac into a different shape

Last edited:

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
Little mac is a D tier character in sm4sh. I don't know about the rest of the cast but little mac VS king ddd, is a no contest. Little mac has no chance against ddd. I could chain combos on him all day, he can't even stand off the edge for too long, that drops him down 2 tier levels for a terrible off edge game. If no one believes me I'll 1v1 and smash little mac into a different shape
Have any replays to share of this? Or, barring that, any play-by-plays of how a few matches go? On paper, Dedede certainly sounds promising, given some good range, disjointed attacks, a projectile, gimping, and a fantastic grab game, but it's always possible that it's a matter of players rather than matchups, too, and it might be more even. Even if it is character, actually, a singular MU isn't by any stretch going to decide any tiers.

But there's too many questions about how they played LM-- if they dash attacked into your shield, that's immediate player-problem, as that's decidedly unsafe unless facing, like, Robin. Or if they never hit back Gordos, then they're being pressured at-range rather needlessly. Or if they fail to counter properly, then juggles, gimps, and combos in general become all too powerful against them. Winning doesn't exist in a vacuum where only the characters matter, that is to say-- if you're just outplaying them, the MU'd irrelevant. ^^"

Darkseid3r

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkseider1
3DS FC
2337-4610-9504
As a Mac player i agree with CharZane. It heavily depends on the skill level and technical knowledge of the opponent to determine who should win or lose. Ive fought Rosalina's and many other characters that should beat Mac and beaten them simply because i could read them.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to seriously regret this in the short term, but to clarify, Robin can do just about nothing to a Little Mac who simply rushes with dash attacks. So long as you use them properly, they're too safe to follow-up on, and Robin flat cannot grab out of shield. Following with an Ftilt and then edgeguarding as follow-ups if not batted away with a tilt from Robin can assure if not a stock than certainly quite the damage. If you hit with the dash or tilt or a grab or a jolt haymaker by simply rushing, you get to edgeguard, whereas Robin's Ftilt does some chip damage and... lets you do it again. You quite literally need no further plan, as Robin cannot punish a shielded dash attack safely in any meaningful way without a power shield-- but if you make use of literally any form of mixup, that's not really feasible.

On a stage that's not FD, Mac will be a much more involved matchup vs Robin, but as it stands, in For Glory there's no reason to use anything but this simple tactic unless a method is eventually found to deal with it. Don't let it stick as a habit in other matchups, of course, as shield grabbing is something every character bar Robin will definitely punish with, but dash-rushing flat ends Robin. Keep in mind not to roll much of at all, however-- rolling is one of the few things Mac can do that Robin can and will punish consistently.

If any Mac finds themselves somehow not winning despite this tactic, I'd certainly be interested in how-- most of the other Robins I've heard from seem to be as stumped as I as to what to do against that dash attack. Even if that 'perfect attack' is eventually solved, though (which is my agenda in encouraging its widespread use, of course!), Mac's still apt to be a very tricky matchup, given all his other tools.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
Warning Received
I'll repeat what I said about Rosalina in her thread. It seems to me that Rosalina has an excellent grab -> throw -> follow up games, able to toss people into the Luma for powerful Smash attacks. (That is how I would design her, it remains to be seen what her moveset is actually like. Good throws with little knockback growth are an obvious choice for her, though, so I'm willing to bet that will be how she plays come SSB4 release.) Shield grabbing is Mac's bane, since it beats out super armor approaches and counters and so the match-up would essentially have to revolve around good spacing, avoiding grabs while maintaining pressure on Rosalina. It'll be tricky but fun.

I keep yakking about how Marth is Mac's counter, but I'm certain it's true. Marth's grab range has ranged from godlike to above average, his Melee range with his sword is back and his grab game looks to be making a comeback too. Large disjoint, grabs > super armor, a kit designed to gimp while Mac's recovery is awful ... I'm shivering just thinking about it. Expect an uphill battle when you fight Marth. DK's huge grab range is problematic for similar reasons.

Wii Fit Trainer v/s Little Mac is probably even-ish, she has better range and a better recovery, as well as a strong meteor. It'll revolve around Mac wanting to keep his feet firmly on the ground with Wii Fit trying to knock him off-stage, but having a tougher time doing it than Marth (who can probably FThrow -> FThrow -> FSmash you with ease ... *shudder*).

I'll put money on this statement: Mac beats Mega Man.

Disclaimer: We have very little info on the game, but speculation is fun.
you sound stupid when you said mac beats mega man. i fought macs and destroyed them one by one with megamam. shut up you dont know whay your sain

Oilpath99

Smash Cadet
Your claiming Mac is a D tier char while also stating you don't know his match ups against much of the roster.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I'm going to seriously regret this in the short term, but to clarify, Robin can do just about nothing to a Little Mac who simply rushes with dash attacks. So long as you use them properly, they're too safe to follow-up on, and Robin flat cannot grab out of shield. Following with an Ftilt and then edgeguarding as follow-ups if not batted away with a tilt from Robin can assure if not a stock than certainly quite the damage. If you hit with the dash or tilt or a grab or a jolt haymaker by simply rushing, you get to edgeguard, whereas Robin's Ftilt does some chip damage and... lets you do it again. You quite literally need no further plan, as Robin cannot punish a shielded dash attack safely in any meaningful way without a power shield-- but if you make use of literally any form of mixup, that's not really feasible.

On a stage that's not FD, Mac will be a much more involved matchup vs Robin, but as it stands, in For Glory there's no reason to use anything but this simple tactic unless a method is eventually found to deal with it. Don't let it stick as a habit in other matchups, of course, as shield grabbing is something every character bar Robin will definitely punish with, but dash-rushing flat ends Robin. Keep in mind not to roll much of at all, however-- rolling is one of the few things Mac can do that Robin can and will punish consistently.

If any Mac finds themselves somehow not winning despite this tactic, I'd certainly be interested in how-- most of the other Robins I've heard from seem to be as stumped as I as to what to do against that dash attack. Even if that 'perfect attack' is eventually solved, though (which is my agenda in encouraging its widespread use, of course!), Mac's still apt to be a very tricky matchup, given all his other tools.
I'm by no means the best Robin player, but I personally don't experience the same problem against Little Mac. The match up definitely feels to be in Little Mac's favor because of his insane speed and safe options, but I wouldn't say it's unwinnable.
Against dash approaches, be it grab/attack/whatever I tend to go for Nosferatu. If I time it right I KNOW exactly where Little Mac is going to be, he isn't going to jump in. This stops his attack, gives me free health, and gives me a chance to follow up as Little Mac gets pushed out of the spell when it ends.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
I'm by no means the best Robin player, but I personally don't experience the same problem against Little Mac. The match up definitely feels to be in Little Mac's favor because of his insane speed and safe options, but I wouldn't say it's unwinnable.
Against dash approaches, be it grab/attack/whatever I tend to go for Nosferatu. If I time it right I KNOW exactly where Little Mac is going to be, he isn't going to jump in. This stops his attack, gives me free health, and gives me a chance to follow up as Little Mac gets pushed out of the spell when it ends.
I've only managed that about once, myself, but the problem is moreso how often Mac can-and-will dash at you compared to how often Nosferatu will work. It only takes one of the common dash-into-backroll jukes to waste a Nosferatu and get you belted in the head, while you only get the 3 uses regardless until the tome breaks anyway... It seems like a nice trick to net a free Nosferatu in a pinch or such, but I don't feel like it's apt to work more than once or twice in any given match... which could include dozens of such approaches. Though, it certainly follows my usual method of 'just stop him before he can use the attack', so having it as a mixup for when Arcfire won't reach in time or Thunder isn't charged would be some real potential brilliance.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I think Robin can do just fine in the neutral game vs Mac. Dashing in and fading back with a roll isn't really a matchup thing lol. It's on the Robin player(just like everyone else who is playing against a Mac) to not get baiting or to call out the bait appropriately. Also that "guessing" game that Mac is making happen becomes significantly easier to deal with once you realize that his grab is garbage and that Shielding will beat just about every option he can come in with. The thing I think that makes this matchup in Mac's favor is that Robin doesn't really have any good options to recover or land against Mac. You can kind of just harass them for free with usmash as they're landing or make them respect your dsmash as they go for the ledge(Then if they make it to the ledge it's about as good of a place for Mac to have you as it is for anyone else which is pretty good lol).

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
I think Robin can do just fine in the neutral game vs Mac. Dashing in and fading back with a roll isn't really a matchup thing lol. It's on the Robin player(just like everyone else who is playing against a Mac) to not get baiting or to call out the bait appropriately. Also that "guessing" game that Mac is making happen becomes significantly easier to deal with once you realize that his grab is garbage and that Shielding will beat just about every option he can come in with. The thing I think that makes this matchup in Mac's favor is that Robin doesn't really have any good options to recover or land against Mac. You can kind of just harass them for free with usmash as they're landing or make them respect your dsmash as they go for the ledge(Then if they make it to the ledge it's about as good of a place for Mac to have you as it is for anyone else which is pretty good lol).
Yeah, after trying Mac, I'm starting to get that feel that his grab really isn't much better than Robin's, even... I figure the easiest way to learn a matchup is looking at both sides of it, and I'm starting to poke some holes in the walls as I get some perspective. It does strike me that the real problem is less being hit by the dash attack itself and more how drastic Mac's advantage can be at that point, as you're then forced to recover or land from a potential juggle... As you've said. It feels like the best answer to Mac's edgeguarding and anti-air pressures are the same as Mac's own best answer to gimps: just don't let the opportunity arise by being off-staged/popped into the air. Though, I do still feel like Robin's lack of a shield grab gives them less options against a dash-happy Mac than most other characters.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
Mac's chances against a :4samus:,:4tlink:,:4pacman:, or:4link:?
Against either Link, the main thing seems to be using Jolt Haymaker properly if you need a punish to, say, drawing an arrow. Outside of that, being patient and walking into Ftilt range with power shields seems the safest option. A bit against Mac, but his ability to stick to them helps-- that tether grab is the black horse of their arsenal that really tips the balance in their favor, though. Samus is simultaneously irksome and simple, depending on just how much abuse that roll sees. It's one of the few in the game that can't be hit consistently with a well-timed downsmash, given all its invulnerability frames, and her projectiles keep her a constant threat at-range along with aiding her in gimping... very tricky, but her melee range kit mostly amounts to another tether grab as the key threat. Pac Mac is a... very weird matchup. If he's clever, he'll use his trampoline to absolutely prevent you from sticking to the ground with ease, yet you can't wait him out given the barrage of keys that'll allow. Still, while his disjointed smashes and own super armor make up for his slightly laggier tether grab, his aerial game isn't too much of a problem given that you can mostly manage it with well-timed tilts and Usmashes, given that they're not disjointed. Remember to be fearless when dealing with his dash/side B attacks-- be it counters or a well timed punch, you can punish these moves better than many.

Each is a matchup I've lost a game or so to, but they feel to be minor disadvantages compared to quick characters with good disjoints (Marth/Lucina strike me, in particular, as nightmares).

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I haven't played a Pacman who has done this since i've gotten better, but last time I played a Pacman he had me convinced that it was Mac's worst mu. Grounded up-b forces us to either side-b(bad), jump over it(bad), or wait it out and hope we can make something out of trying to disrupt him setting it up again(not great). That mixed with how much stage control his hydrant can give(and even moreso if he sends it flying with his key) and the wacky things his water can do to us as we're recovering make me scared to play this mu. Upsides though are that we can send his hydrant flying with 1 smash, if he isn't setting up hard with grounded up-b and hydrant then we have a strong enough ground game to not care about what he's doing all too much and his aerials can make landing against well place usmashes kind of hard, but he has the aerial hydrant to mix things up a little bit.

Only other character I have a little bit of experience against is Link. His zoning isn't the hardest to get around since it's one of the camping games where I feel Mac can confidentially just walk in and shield and inch his way in. I honestly don't see too much Link brings to the table against Mac that isn't something everyone does as long as we stay patient and react to what he does properly and even then the juggling and edgeguarding bit doesn't feel particularily strong against Mac compared to what other characters can do.

Also I might be in the uncommon opinion that outside of recovery we shouldn't be doing jolt haymaker unless we are going for a range punish on something very laggy or chasing rolls and even then if we hit people at too low of a % we get punished on hit. You're better off just pimp walking your way into most zoning character's faces or mixing in a dash attack. There's just no reason to go for such a high commitment with such a low reward and high risk.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played a Pacman who has done this since i've gotten better, but last time I played a Pacman he had me convinced that it was Mac's worst mu. Grounded up-b forces us to either side-b(bad), jump over it(bad), or wait it out and hope we can make something out of trying to disrupt him setting it up again(not great). That mixed with how much stage control his hydrant can give(and even moreso if he sends it flying with his key) and the wacky things his water can do to us as we're recovering make me scared to play this mu. Upsides though are that we can send his hydrant flying with 1 smash, if he isn't setting up hard with grounded up-b and hydrant then we have a strong enough ground game to not care about what he's doing all too much and his aerials can make landing against well place usmashes kind of hard, but he has the aerial hydrant to mix things up a little bit.

Only other character I have a little bit of experience against is Link. His zoning isn't the hardest to get around since it's one of the camping games where I feel Mac can confidentially just walk in and shield and inch his way in. I honestly don't see too much Link brings to the table against Mac that isn't something everyone does as long as we stay patient and react to what he does properly and even then the juggling and edgeguarding bit doesn't feel particularily strong against Mac compared to what other characters can do.

Also I might be in the uncommon opinion that outside of recovery we shouldn't be doing jolt haymaker unless we are going for a range punish on something very laggy or chasing rolls and even then if we hit people at too low of a % we get punished on hit. You're better off just pimp walking your way into most zoning character's faces or mixing in a dash attack. There's just no reason to go for such a high commitment with such a low reward and high risk.
Granted, I'm specifically mentioning Jolt Haymaker for if/when a Link charges an arrow, as that's the move's one true purpose beyond recovery (or the occasional juggle-break mixup, perhaps, just to make space). Barring that, shieldwalking up to them's certainly safer. Against Pac Man, I've found that jumping the trampoline is relatively safe if his habit is to ready a bonus fruit, though it's certainly not a good feeling to be forced airborne. Slip counter works pretty well on most of Pac Man's aerials, given their range, at least, though. Use of the trampoline definitely takes that matchup from 'fairly easy' to 'stressful', in any case-- though it remains to be seen how much that affects the actual outcome, methinks.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Each is a matchup I've lost a game or so to, but they feel to be minor disadvantages compared to quick characters with good disjoints (Marth/Lucina strike me, in particular, as nightmares).
As Little Mac, neither character you mention is that nightmarish to me unless I get edgeguarded. But when I'm Lucina against Little Mac, it feels like he manhandles both of them. Despite the lack of a disjointed hitbox, Mac has tons of safe moves he can abuse while Lucy and Marth only have so many. He also attacks a lot faster than they do and it can be really scary when he gets a KO punch active, he's practically got some of, if not the, best footsies in the game. On Final Destination he ***** them in my experience, though platform camping shuts him down a bit.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
As Little Mac, neither character you mention is that nightmarish to me unless I get edgeguarded. But when I'm Lucina against Little Mac, it feels like he manhandles both of them. Despite the lack of a disjointed hitbox, Mac has tons of safe moves he can abuse while Lucy and Marth only have so many. He also attacks a lot faster than they do and it can be really scary when he gets a KO punch active, he's practically got some of, if not the, best footsies in the game. On Final Destination he ***** them in my experience, though platform camping shuts him down a bit.
Nightmares for me specifically, to clarify-- I'm sure much of my bias stems from the fact that I'm also better with Lucina than I am LM. Still, she can use her air-spacing game far better than most, given that there's a disjoint to her Fair and all on top of its great hitbox, range, and speed, and the fact that it can be used so relatively safely is quite the potential problem. Marth/Lucina may only have a few safe moves, but against Macs, I often feel to only need the one-- that Fair. Feels to be a mite disadvantageous to Mac, though it certainly isn't too bad.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
So I played against a Mega Man yesterday. We did about 15 games. I lost every game and probably only took a total of 3 stocks. I lost in 30 seconds or less twice. This match up feels impossible. Mega Man's camp game is so strong. Alternating Crash Buster and Saw Blade from a distance to force an approach is very annoying and tough to get around. I tried inching in with shield but he would follow up my shield with a grab or dash attach if he read that I was going to inch in again. Jolt Haymaker worked occasionally but most times I got shield grabbed.

At low percents and in center stage, he would up throw and fair. It combo'd every time. At high percents or close to the edge, he would throw me off the stage and it was pretty much a stock every time. Coming back to the ledge was near impossible. If I used side b above the ledge back air sent me away and that was a stock. If I used side b at ledge height down air spiked every time. On Omega stages with a wall, down air spiked if I tried an up b recovery. The only options that worked were to recover with side b above Mega Man's double jump height or use up b under angled ledges so you can safely slide up to the ledge.

A Mega Man grab on Little Mac pretty much meant death always. The only way I think this is winnable is to apply constant pressure on Mega Man and be near perfect with your options up close. I'm not that great at assessing all options and reading so it was tough for me. After that sequence of fights this match up looks to be 70:4megaman: / 30:4littlemac:

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Hey guys. Not a Lil' Mac main, but a Diddy main her with a SERIOUS problem with Lil' Macs. On two sepretate occasions, I've had an incredible amount of trouble dealing with two different Lil' Macs, one of which took my #1 spot on an Online Power Rankings (eventually got it back) and the other of which ended up costing me Grand Finals in a tourney and giving me second place.

I've had moderate success with King Dedede, but that's about it. I thought Jigglypuff might work, but I got absolutely mollywhopped. So far, King Dedede seemse like the only safe option.

Thoughts?

T0MMY

Smash Master
I had a similar experience as I was in winner's side grand finals for the Regional tournament between four states and lost to a Little Mac. Granted I decided to not go my main and play randomly as Jigglypuff and had no idea what to do in the matchup, haha, but very similar story none the less. Next time I use my main the full set and won't get hit by that KO punch after having the lead the whole time ;^D

Tip: KO Punch punches upwards, avoid being hit by it while hovering about with Jigglypuff.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Glad to see I'm not the only one who went puff and got bodied lol.

KO Punch punches upwards, avoid being hit by it while hovering about with Jigglypuff.
Oh, believe you me, I had to learn this the hard way....

T0MMY

Smash Master
Oh, you were puff too?
I actually think the matchup is really difficult for her because she is so lightweight that Mac's blows are that much more devastating. But I couldn't resist, I wanted to see if my core playing could get over that hurdle and get a lot of reward for staying in the air and getting edge guards in. But it was the day after the NA release, so maybe my awkwardness of controls have improved, but next time I'm just going to play it out all serious like.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Yeah, I went Puff against one of the people. I thought that I could just space it out and wall of pain him away. But, nope, didn't work.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
What do you guys think about :4littlemac:vs:4falco::4fox:
As a Fox main, in my experience, it's Fox's hardest MU.

Dash-attack -> Dash attack combos him accross the stage at low percentages (lol, wtf) and no safe way to punish him thanks to Super-armour. I find myself baiting a lot (mainly for counter), but one mistake as Fox means Little Mac can body me for free. IMO, if played correctly by both:
:4littlemac: 70 / 30 :4fox:

If all Fox tries to do is rush, Fox has already lost. If Fox plays the hit-and-run game properly though, he has a good chance. Still, Fox is just way too mentally exhausting to play as against Mac.

Last edited:

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
As a Fox main, in my experience, it's Fox's hardest MU.

Dash-attack -> Dash attack combos him accross the stage at low percentages (lol, wtf) and no safe way to punish him thanks to Super-armour. I find myself baiting a lot (mainly for counter), but one mistake as Fox means Little Mac can body me for free. IMO, if played correctly by both:
:4littlemac: 70 / 30 :4fox:

If all Fox tries to do is rush, Fox has already lost. If Fox plays the hit-and-run game properly though, he has a good chance. Still, Fox is just way too mentally exhausting to play as against Mac.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8knGFiPw1I&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg

50/50 or 55-45 Fox's favor imo. Watch the video. If a Fox knows what he's doing and the mu, how do we keep up with him? We have speed/strength on the ground. He has speed in the ground AND air. When you play how Megafox does, it seems nearly impossible.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8knGFiPw1I&list=UUuBhMqosgW-ECZjJZ9pv0Dg

50/50 or 55-45 Fox's favor imo. Watch the video. If a Fox knows what he's doing and the mu, how do we keep up with him? We have speed/strength on the ground. He has speed in the ground AND air. When you play how Megafox does, it seems nearly impossible.
Thanks for the vid.

Well, first of all, I noticed that you never used counter. You should be using it, specially against a character like Fox that has a very easy time chasing you accross the stage. It disrupts nearly all of Fox's options, can be used in between Fox's strings of hits and lets you escape pressure quickly. Obviously don't spam it: switch between [air]dodging out of his follow-ups and countering.

Secondly, you should've been using more smash attacks after your moves: you would've still gotten hit by Fox's fast tilts (fast overall), but remember that Mac has super armor in nearly all his moves. This isn't just me blindly saying things: I played yesterday against a really good Mac player in the GTA area, and every time I attempted to hit back with a quick hit (like my jabs, or my f-tilt, or up-tilt), Little Mac just ate the hit and punched me back. Add this with how quick his smash attacks are (both in start-up and cool-down), and you've got a character that can eat hits for days, specially from characters like Fox who are lacking in power / knockback to break through the armour.

Also, that early KO punch was rather... unfortunate. It won't be a guaranteed KO on Fox until he's at 30% (possibly earlier): once there, no amount of Vectoring will save him.

Last edited:

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I do know that Little Mac vs Jigglypuff is pretty much almost a curb-stomp battle in Jiggs' favor, as her whole play style is mainly focused in the air, where Mac is absolutely useless.

HenshinRiderMV

Smash Rookie
Duck Hunt Duo can be a challenge if you don't know how to avoid being hit by his projectiles and Robin as his magic is frustrating to avoid and make it hard to get in close and Diddy Kong, if Diddy gets you in the air is pretty much game over

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Rosalina and Ness are two ridiculous match-ups for Little Mac, especially if they know the Little Mac Match-up

HenshinRiderMV

Smash Rookie
Rosalina and Ness are two ridiculous match-ups for Little Mac, especially if they know the Little Mac Match-up
Ness is very similar to Robin, he makes it hard to get close and Rosalina can be annoying but it is incredibly easy to get rid of Luma as Mac so that can make it a lot easier to deal with her

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Ness and Pacman are Mac's worst MUs imo. :o I think Rosalina is doable as long as it's not BF or something ridiculous and I feel Robin is in our favor. Sheik is relatively even, but when Mac wins it's close and when Sheik wins it can go from being close to a straight up 2/3 stock.

EDIT: I also feel MK and DK could be bad MUs. DK has a pretty good grab and ftilt range to punish most things we do on shield and once Mac is offstage it's almost as simple as bair high recoveries and dtilt low ones until he's dead. MK is for a similar reason though it might be closer to even. Once Mac is forced to up-b to the ledge MK can just dtilt us until we're dead and since MK has Dthrow to fair it's not too hard to get us off stage.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Peach is my Little Mac counterpick every time. Ness works ok, but Peach is when I want a straight up hard counter.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Thanks for the vid.

Well, first of all, I noticed that you never used counter. You should be using it, specially against a character like Fox that has a very easy time chasing you accross the stage. It disrupts nearly all of Fox's options, can be used in between Fox's strings of hits and lets you escape pressure quickly. Obviously don't spam it: switch between [air]dodging out of his follow-ups and countering.

Secondly, you should've been using more smash attacks after your moves: you would've still gotten hit by Fox's fast tilts (fast overall), but remember that Mac has super armor in nearly all his moves. This isn't just me blindly saying things: I played yesterday against a really good Mac player in the GTA area, and every time I attempted to hit back with a quick hit (like my jabs, or my f-tilt, or up-tilt), Little Mac just ate the hit and punched me back. Add this with how quick his smash attacks are (both in start-up and cool-down), and you've got a character that can eat hits for days, specially from characters like Fox who are lacking in power / knockback to break through the armour.

Also, that early KO punch was rather... unfortunate. It won't be a guaranteed KO on Fox until he's at 30% (possibly earlier): once there, no amount of Vectoring will save him.
No worries. Thanks for the feedback.

I agree. I should've incorporated counter much more into my gameplay which I failed to do so. Only reason I didn't is because I didn't know the mu well, so I didn't really know what to expect. Empty short hops, quick aerials, combo potential; one mistake on my part and I'm already from 0-40%+ within seconds.

I'll add that in though. I've been throwing out smashes at times right after another move, but I figured Fox could easily shield and follow up with a grab. I haven't played many, but I'll go against Megafox a few more times and see how it feels once I get comfortable with the actual matchup , then post more about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom