• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

Lizam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lizzam
Awesome tourney guys, had a blast! Shout outs to AzuraSarah and Attilia, those were some intense close matches. Attilia, I'm still regretting picking Tomodachi life as a counter pick >.<

I also agree that its still way too early to ban custom moves. They add so much flavour/variety to the game which the previous instalments don't have. At the very least, ban specific custom moves that are considered broken before banning custom moves altogether.

And finally, it makes metagame development significantly more erratic; learning mus is harder than ever, and the development of consistent high level play will literally take forever.
I think this is actually a good thing!

Also +1 to Arena Ferox :D

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
I really want to give a big thank you to Max and anyone else responsible for arranging match recording and having them available to watch so quickly after the tournament. It's really helpful to watch my sets a couple days later and come away with 10-15 very tangible things to work on which can be easily overlooked or forgotten from the adrenalin of playing the match. Something about actually revisiting and seeing your sloppy mistakes outside of the moment makes it much more motivating to fix them. The professional overlay, ongoing commentary and face cams so I can see all my face itching between stocks is a great touch.

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
I really want to give a big thank you to Max and anyone else responsible for arranging match recording and having them available to watch so quickly after the tournament. It's really helpful to watch my sets a couple days later and come away with 10-15 very tangible things to work on which can be easily overlooked or forgotten from the adrenalin of playing the match. Something about actually revisiting and seeing your sloppy mistakes outside of the moment makes it much more motivating to fix them. The professional overlay, ongoing commentary and face cams so I can see all my face itching between stocks is a great touch.
It's really is all Max, everyone should check out his work, it's really high standard stuff.

twitch.com/melbournemelee <- tournament live streams, run solely by Max

twitch.com/hardwk <- personal stream

youtube.com/melbournemelee <- tournaments VODs collectively run by the Victorian scene

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
Great tournament, but unfortunately due to a power outage and the 3ds capture, I lost a lot of footage and only managed to keep the last 3 hours of Melee.
Still some good stuff, vids are all uploaded on Youtube now.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MelbourneMelee/videos

Thanks everyone for an awesome tournament, Got my ass handed to me in 3ds cause i'm horribad when I can't faceroll techskill at people.
Soooo ready for Wii-U version, that ****s gonna look so amazing, 720p 60fps alltheway!!

Danza

Smash Apprentice
BREAKING NEWS: NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING !
(please read all).
Hi everyone, im back after a break from Brawl, and sorry for not attending the Major tournament, which i mentioned i was going to come, but then Brawl just got more boring, especially when the game was hardly cared about anymore, the Brawl scene was dying and not many would attend, and now i see Brawl is over.
Pretty sad to see that Brawl is gone from tournaments, sure, the game had its ups and downs, but it was fun playing you all, and it was the longest lasting game I've played in tournaments, thank you Brawl and thank you to all the players i have played with in the past few years.
Now, where does this leave me ?, still in the smash scene that's for sure, but i have no interest in the upcoming Smash 4, not after what i have seen with the custom moves and what not... so i am not moving on, i am however, returning... returning to a game i had once been good at (and should be suitable for my play style), that... that game is... *drum roll* .... Super Smash Bros Melee !!!
Yes, i am returning to Melee, which i have been playing for nearly 2 weeks already, practicing for the next tournament.
At the moment, Yoshi is my main character (just like about 10 years ago), but i will also throw in both Fox or Falco, and maybe Bowser and Mario.
Mr. Game & Watch, despite being almost useless in Melee (he was one of my top tiers in Brawl), could be used too.
Anyways, when i attend my first Melee tournament, i don't expect a high placing, just like for Brawl where i didn't even make the top 30, back in August 2010.
I am still practicing now, and by next month, i will be ready... Melee players, you have been warned :)
Perhaps i can post some melee videos on my YouTube when i have time, this is my YT account:
http://m.youtube.com/?#/channel/UCT0B2YDjslL2BySCL8JPTKA
I make stupid hilarious videos btw check them out.
My brothers won't return to Melee.

Last edited:

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
I was watching Moxie vs Forte on YT, a lot of good movement combos, and some breathtaking chokes, all with that hype Dekar Commentary, and then the video ended at a crucial point in the match...

There were simply not enough PM set ups. Please bring your set ups - I will try to find incentives for those who give back to the community by bringing their gear.
I too noticed the lack of PM setups. I do bring mine most of the time but I sadly wasn't there.

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
I was watching Moxie vs Forte on YT, a lot of good movement combos, and some breathtaking chokes, all with that hype Dekar Commentary, and then the video ended at a crucial point in the match...
My bad, vods getting wrecked by YT, re-uploading full length now.
e: Goddamnit Twitch > Youtube really sucks ass now. Trying again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITGfQmtIw5o&list=UUb1s2Nj0UpZ1MoKdC8VEZ-w
Jesus wtfack it posted twice... I'll fix it when I get home. ><

Last edited:

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Gonna try and get back into the Smash scene might come to the next monthly or the one after that. Either way looking forward to seeing all of you.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Definately not dropping pm anytime soon. The attraction is solid and will be huge again very soon with 3.5

I think smash 4 numbers will deflate to lower than PM until the wiiu release if anything. Quite a few melee people who tried it already calling it quits on s4 until console or simply forever.

Running 3 tournaments is fine, just no more teams or waiting 2 hours to setup recording lol.

Post 3.5 and post wiiu release I don't see the 3 game balance changing, we just have to get better at it.

Last edited:

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
I want to run 2 s4 tourneys though.

Customs and no customs.
Edit : Are you asking if pm should be replaced with a custom/no custom smash 4 tournament? Or if there is time/interest for a customs/no customs tourney?

Last edited:

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
here's a suggestion, right off the bat we run both pm and one of the smash 4 tourney's, when pm finishes we run melee, and when smash 4 finishes we run the second smash 4.

I'm going to assume no customs will get less entrants, with the still new hype running in smash 4 we're going to see less numbers than normal for pm and melee anyway so I actually think it's possible. We had monumental slow downs in the last CW and still managed to finish by 9:30

Splice

Smash Hero
If there's more hype for smash 4, won't all the people that normally enter Melee/PM enter it, and then maybe a couple of extra dudes will too?

Just cut doubles until we have a good smash 4 ruleset though; I think that's the easiest way to make things happen, although it'd be good to have doubles for the new game because that's a fun part of the experience. Maybe in a few months. 3DS tourney seems to run pretty fast anyway right? It'll be much harder to try this with the WiiU version because we aren't certain to have many setups. (btw can't we just use CRTs with Wii-U's though?)

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i think attila's idea to run 2 seperate smash 4 tournaments (specifically 1 with custom moves banned) is absolutely ridiculous
1 tournament and people are crying about OP customs? game isn't even out on WiiU yet where we can play with gamecube controllers and really get the metagame developing.
also it splits the smash 4 scene which is never a good idea...

however if that's what the melbourne smash scene wants... =/

Splice

Smash Hero
First of all, I'm not in agreeance with the OP customs complacency; It seems silly to me.

But running two tournaments at one event seems reasonable to me
We used to run low tiers for brawl and then normal singles; and this time we won't event run doubles alongside it!
If this is gonna help people understand the game and what they want more, and see if it dramatically affects results, it could be really valuable! So I'm all for two tournaments.

Izzago

While we are talking about how things are going to go next tournament, I just want to raise something that came up after I helped out at the TO desk at the last one.

Firstly, when there is someone working the desk, please ask before you touch anything, especially the laptop with the brackets on it. I had issues where people would walk up, lean over and go to check their results or to see who their next opponent is. I suggested that we make a rule that only the person (or maybe two people) sitting at the tournament organizers desk can touch the computer, and everyone else has to go to the other side of the desk and report their results/find out who their opponents are from the TOs. It saves some confusion, and its also a little rude for people to just walk up and get the information they need when there are people who have been waiting to find something out or ask a question themselves. Its also a little disrespectful to the people who are working at the desk. I've mentioned this one to Joey and he agrees with me, more or less.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i think attila's idea to run 2 seperate smash 4 tournaments (specifically 1 with custom moves banned) is absolutely ridiculous
1 tournament and people are crying about OP customs? game isn't even out on WiiU yet where we can play with gamecube controllers and really get the metagame developing.
also it splits the smash 4 scene which is never a good idea...

however if that's what the melbourne smash scene wants... =/
As discussed in the ruleset thread: we need to test things. Why test things one at a time? That seems like a really inefficient way of doing things. The only way to get real data is to play real games. Lots of real games. You should know this.

Besides, it gives any new folk even more games to play.

I'm not sure what you're whinging about.

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
I think the conception that P:M was a thing that was just going to be a holdover until Smash 4 is pretty far off the mark. They may not have a big presence on Smashboards, but there's a substantial contingent of players who primarily show up for P:M, not just play it waiting for a new smash, not to mention all the Melee crowd who may not think it's quite there yet but are much more optimistic about it becoming a worthwhile Smash game than we are about Smash 4.

I think trying to drop P:M for a second Smash 4 tournament would be a pretty serious misjudgement of sentiment...

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I heard it was dropping off, and hadn't heard otherwise. As someone who has no interest in that game, I rely on others to fill me in.

I'm happy to keep it around while it still has a community, but was given a 3rd party impression that it was on the decline.

S.D

Smash Master
It's popularity is wavering slightly among melee players, due to the increasingly apparent elements of the game which are still 'undercooked', however it has a strong core of players who subscribe to PM as their main game.

With the new release imminent, and participation still solid, it should remain a prominent title.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
As discussed in the ruleset thread: we need to test things. Why test things one at a time? That seems like a really inefficient way of doing things. The only way to get real data is to play real games. Lots of real games. You should know this.
yeah let's test on the 3ds instead of the wii u
these results will definitely matter

P:M - entrant numbers talk

Last edited:
Top Bottom