• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I personally prefer opting for custom specials just coming with the character selection in blind pick situations,
and in counterpicks, customs should be picked last (after everything else) at technically the "same time" as each other (so you aren't picking customs based on another player's customs).

Splice

Smash Hero
make sure you seed well

V, venks, redact, Azurasarah = top seeds for Smash 4
Dreadtech, Matt-G, Dekar, Naga are also deserving of a high seed

Yeah Attila/Tibs/Jei/Dean should still be seeded high but previous tournament results should not be discredited

have fun

@ Redact Redact : Win smash4 this time so you can actually talk **** about it in future; you'll lose this opportunity forever if you suck too much ass now!

Splice

Smash Hero
Top 7 in Melee

1. SD
2. Dekar
3. Redact
4. Atticus
5. Tak
5. Attila
7. Noxus
7. Matt-G

Top 3 in Project M

1. Dekar
2. SD
3. Redact

Top 4 in Smash 3DS

1. V
2. Dean
3. Attila
4. Earl

I wasn't even at the tourney; results courtesy of Codie and Joey

Last edited:

NanoHologuise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3110-6094-3408
Shoutouts:
Everyone who TOed
Tree, online Sm4sh pays off, I can tell :) Thanks for the chat and friendlies. Join the melee and PM crew and give all your money away in d̶e̶k̶a̶r̶/̶s̶d̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶v̶e̶s̶ tournaments like the rest of the motley crew.
Tomo, **** your easy mode sonic. Well played.
Cloud/MizzityMarth/Whatever and Slamdunk, thanks for a day full of friendlies. **** ton of fun, hope we can do it again.
Joey for bopping me again.

Last edited:

earla

Smash Lord
First tourney in a long time. Very pleased to be challenged by some solid tactics. Was outplayed.
Enjoyed the variety offered by the custom move sets.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
First time trying to post results using Smashboards' rankings system so bare with me please lol

[collapse=Project M]
CouchWarriors 10/14 - Project M singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Dekar
$102.00
2nd
SD
$51.00
3rd
Redact
$17.00
4th
Atticus
5th
Moxie
5th
MGK
7th
Matt G
7th
Vincent
9th
Jei
9th
dreadtech
9th
Hughie/Deez for 3ds bracket
9th
Hardpelicn
13th
Hyes
13th
John P Salt
13th
Fudge
13th
Jake
17th
YUNGNE$$
17th
DD
17th
Cappa
17th
Tyler
17th
Playsia
17th
Tomo009
17th
Switch
17th
Sadistic
25th
K
25th
Drop
25th
Boris
25th
boozer
25th
Fungus
25th
Liam
25th
MFN
25th
Slamdunk
33rd
Midna
33rd
Dwayne
[/collapse]
[collapse=Smash 3DS]
CouchWarriors 10/14 - Smash 3DS singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
V
$144.00
2nd
Dean
$58.50
3rd
Attila
$22.50
4th
earl
5th
DD
5th
Venks
7th
Azurasarah
7th
Moxie
9th
Liam
9th
Matt G
9th
Redact
9th
tyler
13th
Tak
13th
b00zer
13th
Izzago
13th
Dreadtech jr
17th
Slamdunk
17th
Simeon
17th
Vincent
17th
Dekar
17th
SD
17th
Atticus
17th
Nick
25th
Hardpelicn
25th
Bailey
25th
tomo009
25th
Patrick
25th
Deez
25th
Boris
25th
Tree
25th
Dreadtech
33rd
Hughie/Deez for 3ds bracket
33rd
Cappa
33rd
Jei
33rd
Nano
33rd
Hyes
33rd
Jeff
33rd
sadistic
33rd
Auzza
33rd
james
33rd
Zac
33rd
Fungus
44th
K
44th
MGK
[/collapse]
[collapse=Melee]
CouchWarriors 10/14 - Melee singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
SD (Unpaid)
$105.00
2nd
Dekar
$52.50
3rd
Redact
$17.50
4th
Atticus
5th
Tak
5th
Attila
7th
Noxus
7th
Matt G
9th
Hardpelicn
9th
tibs
9th
Forte
13th
Ilikebigboobies
13th
PCG
13th
Moxie
13th
Miles unpaid
17th
Izzago
17th
Dreadtech
17th
DD
17th
Bus
17th
Dwayne
17th
Hyes
17th
Ilikesmallboobies
17th
Nano
25th
Tomo009
25th
Juci
25th
Toomy
25th
Drop
25th
Slamdunk
25th
Cappa
25th
Sadistic
25th
Fudge
33rd
XXXX
33rd
Tyler
33rd
Mfn
[/collapse]

Feel free to 'claim' a result to link it to your account. If your account's linked you can also add/change your character data.

Last edited:

MizzityMarth

Smash Rookie
I know no one cares about PM, but God damn Dreadtech, I'm still salty. And thanks to SD for kicking my ass but not being a **** about it. Shout outs to Nano and Slamdunk for the friendlies all day, and the controllers.

Splice

Smash Hero
Dean, thankyou. We're actually becoming a hella legit scene, so good.

Also, believe it or not I had you backed to win the tournament D34N. You didn't exactly disappoint, V is apparently part super saiyan or something, congrats on 2nd my man! You don't know how hard it is to study with all this hype going on in my brain for smash 4 results

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Danggggg, Attila going for the most brainless top tier and Earl going for mr ftilt three times into a kill move.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, honour is dead at top level australian smash! (<3 <3)

1390026863152.gif

SAD DAYS.

Based @ dean. dean.
BASED @ dean. dean.
BASED @ dean. dean.
Untitled-1.png

He's the hero we definitely need.

Smash 4 makes me sad but its ok I have melee
Bowser's stupid and Robin's got a really solid camp game on them :( Definitely not fun match ups to be on the back foot against. Who do you use?

ALSO AMAZINGLY STUPIDLY GORGEOUS RUN THROUGH LOSERS WHOEVER V IS

Viva?

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Nice job welcoming Earl back to the smash scene with trash talk, and deriding him for his character once again.
Talk about no honour, pssh.

V is a chick whose gamertag is just V. She used to play Ness in Brawl
And she started in losers because she was late (apparently?)

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
One day someone's going to be able to say something bad about me playing Marth, I think? Like "Oh you monster, chain grabbing children" never phased me!
:p
Earl being back is awesome, obviously~ Everyone else should be able to kill him in 3 forward tilts + a kill move too, so it's balanced!

In terms of character choices, I really only have Attila to rag on, haha. Sheik and Diddy are both kinda easy-mode and it's surprising not to see them in top 8.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I lost in winners because circlepad and trying to wall tech melee style.

I forfeited in losers afterwards because I knew I couldn't win money after that.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Smash 4 notes

The vast majority of people (everyone?) seem to want customs gone now. Yes. Bout bloody time.

Tomodachi life is dumb. Yes. Ferox on 7 minute pls.

V was in losers because she came late, and DQ's the first round. She didn't drop a set.

I went half jiggs btw. And I doubt I'll use Rosalina without customs. She loses a lot.

Edit: I also think that smash 4 will eventually end up going one stock. This is a really unpopular opinion, but no one has ever given me a proper reason why. Saying 'We don't need one stock' is bs, since it's not about need, it's that it might actually be better. It forces safer play from the beginning, speeds things up, and creates a sense of importance at all times. I think it would actually be a good thing.

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
been 1 tournament, bit soon to pull the plug on customs IMO
plus the game will only really start to develop starting from the december monthly, when we all play with controllers
would be really dumb to ban customs and then unban them for the wiiu release

seems like a ton of character's customs are (perceived as) equally 'broken' atm

Venks was also late and started in losers

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Enjoyed the variety offered by the custom move sets.
Nup. Not everyone.

And oh, no wonder no one's being insanely verbose about the amazingness then, haha.
Going through a large tournament from early losers to win is pretty hype either way.

And eh, considering the lack of diddy's and sheiks at this tournament, I can see why people are complaining about custom specials instead :p

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Should use Ferox instead of Tomodachi next tourney. This is how we learn which one is better, and we can see how CP's go and people feel with each of them in play individually.

It's way too early to pull the plug on customs, and a lot of people still support them. Being unable to deal with stuff and mad that you lost is hella naive when no-one knows in-depth matchups yet. Did ya know that Villagers tree expires after 10 seconds but the sapling expires after 14? nah bet ya didn't

keep learning pls everybody
Make knowledge not bans

MGK

Smash Apprentice
Excellent tournament! Had tons of fun and can't wait for the next one.

Shout outs:

Have to start with Jei, such a close and tense set. Your Yoshi is all round solid, huge respect for the tech reads and even the 40% gimps on my ganondorf. :p Can't wait to vs you again and hopefully next time it will be as intense as these matches were.

Sadistic, quite a solid falcon with quite a nice dash dance. Practice your dash dancing skills and your go far with falcon.

Hardpelicn, really love the fact you jumped in going random and did amazing. All 3 of the characters you got, you worked them out quickly and was a great challenge for me to learn each of the match ups. :)

Vincent - Your an amazing Marth player that destroys my Ganondorf, your the first player in tournament that made me switch to my other Main, Lucas. All 3 matches were close, just the way I like it. Hope to vs you again soon.

Lastly want to shout out Atticus, your such an inspiring player when I was vsing you. You had everything, the reads, tech skill, patience and the mind games. Can't wait to vs you again. :) I also want to add that your an awesome guy to talk too, you shared some amazing insight for me to practice on and hopefully It'll help advance my Ganondorf forward. So huge thank you.

Want to end with J winning Smash 4, congrats! Also well played to Venks, played awesome as always and hopefully you'll improve with the Ness match up. :p

Last edited:

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
I also agree that it's way too early to pull the plug on customs.

A lot people were really salty today at CW because they lost to customs they had never seen before and didn't know how to counter immediately. Only a handful of people actually changed their own character or customs in response to the new threats presented to them.

People were okay with being surprised by the Mii Fighters when I joined the community and the Netplay last week and not knowing their moves and losing to it but are strangely not okay with being surprised by customs? I don't understand this collective veil of ignorance, personally.

Time should be given to actually discover which customs are game-breaking and which are just causing an extreme knee-jerk reaction.

Meredy

The Busterina
I agree. I don't play the game, but I feel like custom moves would an another level of variety and provoke thought as to how to go into the next game in a set, put more emphasis on theory crafting and learning more about the game/characters/

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
To be fair, if you don't the game, you really can't have a valid opinion. Just sayin.

The most legitimate argument FOR custom moves at this point is that Apex MIGHT have them legal. If it does, we wouldn't want to fall behind.

I think we should run both at this point in time. There is easily enough time for two tourneys in a well run bracket.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
So I heard you like villager nonsense,
so I picked Falco,
then I pressed down b over and over again
???
mild degrees of profit

Down B-2 reflects tree and kills villager at like 6%?
Down B-3 still reverses lloyd (and is generally the best option across all match ups), it's always super amusing to send villager back to whence they came on an all expenses paid rocket trip!

To be fair, if you don't the game, you really can't have a valid opinion. Just sayin.

The most legitimate argument FOR custom moves at this point is that Apex MIGHT have them legal. If it does, we wouldn't want to fall behind.

I think we should run both at this point in time. There is easily enough time for two tourneys in a well run bracket.
That isn't the most legitimate argument for them at all though ##_##, maybe to you, I guess.

Last edited:

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
At the bare minimum least, I'd like to wait for the people who hate Smash 4 and won't stick with it for long to leave before making any decisions on customs.

Having the future of Smash 4 decided by people who won't stick with it regardless of customs or not I feel is incredibly stupid. The game is new, lot of people testing the water with it and a portion of those people aren't going to go to the deep end.

S.D

Smash Master
GGs to everyone, thanks for coming and big thanks to all the TO's and equipment providers. Great to see Joey and Dread taking a lead in the scene and upping our CW representation, and Max's recording work is godlike as usual.

Melee was fun.

Pm is lame, ready to drop this until the final release atm (rage quit out of grand finals lol) the physics are just whack.

I contracted ebola from smash 4.
What a strange experience.
R1 scraped through against a Charizard with some godlike map long pulse projectile custom.
R2 actually had a FUN set with Matt G, close and enjoyable (but lost)
R3 bizarre. Bopped in game 1. Won game two taking 30%. Lost game 3 to roll, grab and f smash 2 stock.

What is this game I don't even...

Will give it another chance on console.

Good to see a lot of people turn out for it though, regardless of my take on the game I enjoyed the hype everyone else brought for it and I hope it continues.

Last edited:

ViVa

Smash Ace
Glad to see lots of people came out for 3ds. I don't want to break my circle pad so I'll be waiting for wii u before I start coming to tournaments. Congrats to V for wrecking everybody from losers. Can't wait to start playing everybody on wii u.

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
Shoutouts

Big thanks to Dreadtech and Dekar for running the show with me. Also thanks to Forte, Dean, Izzago and others who manned the TO desk. Thanks for Papa bear Redact for looking out and helping out when required.

Big thanks to Max's hard work with the recording. Thanks to Matt for providing his 3DS capture and help trying to get that up and running. Thanks to all that commentated but please, get knocked out of tournament and then commentate. Always. Unless I tell you otherwise. Props to Moxie and Cup, the best commentary duo in VIC imo.

Big thanks to those who brought set ups, it is greatly appreciated. I will try to reward your effort in future.

GGs everyone I played, especially Fungus, omg, it was soo good cos we are sooo bad.

Alright some TO stuff

Tournament prize money payouts
We neglected to payout prize money in a timely manner and as a result, players left before receiving their due. Next tournament we will endeavour to pay out tournaments winners as soon as the tournament is over. Rest assured the money is safely in the hands of CouchWarriors and will be paid out next tournament.

Inclusion of late entrants into losers
I made the decision to include three players into the loser's bracket of the smash 4 tournament when they arrived late. No loser's matches had been played at this time. I made this decision with the reasoning that two of them were arguably the best smash 4 players in the scene, and that the tournament and the growth of game itself would benefit from their inclusion. However, discussing with others, I realise this was a mistake - in future, I will not do this again. Apologies to those in loser's that had their tournament cut short.
There is a silver lining - V's amazing performance with Villager has provided fuel for thought over custom moves. The discussion we are having now over custom moves may have been delayed a while. Hopefully we can get this all reasonably resolved in time for the WiiU release.

Some sloppy TO'ing
There was a few minor slip ups in the inclusion/exclusion of some players. Apologies to those, please understand that I'm still learning and I'll try not to make the same mistake twice.

Set ups
There were simply not enough PM set ups. Please bring your set ups - I will try to find incentives for those who give back to the community by bringing their gear.

3DS recharging station
You're welcome

CouchWarriors
CouchWarriors have been very supportive of the Smash community over the years and they are looking to step it up big with the WiiU launch coming soon. Please support them back by checking them out on twitter, facebook and website. Let them know how big we are and they will provide/promote accordingly.

They have also expressed interest in posting a write up of the event onto their website. If anyone is interested in writing a piece about the tournament, please let me know.

Last edited:

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
will try and post shoutouts now before smashboards decides to crash again
Dean, thankyou. We're actually becoming a hella legit scene, so good.

Also, believe it or not I had you backed to win the tournament D34N. You didn't exactly disappoint, V is apparently part super saiyan or something, congrats on 2nd my man! You don't know how hard it is to study with all this hype going on in my brain for smash 4 results
can i ask why. you've never seen me play so was this based on your gut feel or something lol. i was not confident at all going into this tournament, probably because the only two other players i've played (viva and jei) both beat me more often than not (viva especially). but viva didn't come and jei lost unexpectedly early in winners to moxie's amazing robin then got bracket screwed.
Based @ dean. dean.
BASED @ dean. dean.
BASED @ dean. dean.
View attachment 27696

He's the hero we definitely need.
i don't even know how to respond to this.

i think customs are fine. i didn't know what v's moves did. i also don't know what villager's default specials do lol. this is my fault, i have the moves unlocked on my own setup but didn't experiment with them or anything. i think her setup did great against my main (dedede) so i switched to ganon with the custom downB. still lost because her villager's much better than my ganon. in retrospect other than specific tools like that or reflectors characters with strong rush-down games or air-to-ground combat should do fine, as well as those that outcamp villager.

i also think tomodachi life is fine really. an awful dedede stage, but fine. am welcome to try other stages though. or just use four stages with no bans/DSR/whatever.

anyways.
v: as miffed as i am that i am stuck with 2nd again, i cannot congratulate you enough for winning. hope you keep coming to as to become even better.

earl: was great to see you again. really gave me a hard time in bracket. think once you get a bit more accustomed to the game mechanics (you died a few times because it seems you didn't know mac's ledge snap distance) and get a bit more match-up experience you'll be the force you used to be once again.

sarah: haven't seen you at these tournaments but thought you did great, gunner seems very tricky to deal with lol. sorry for camp wars with dog.

tak: i don't even understand doc's pills. or his down-B. or that weird hit with mac's KO-punch. ggs though lol.

nick: very close games, great use of pac-man's down-b. didn't know you could attack it and make it a projectile.

boozer: great to put a face to the name, nice ridleyzard. stay longer next time imo

tibs: stop being a rebel and enter tournaments imo

attila: ggs man.

joey and dreadtech: i thought the tournament was run excellently. and i'm not just saying that to be polite this time.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Thanks Joey for letting V and me have a shot at entering. It was definitely my fault as I completely had the wrong place in mind and led everyone in the wrong direction. Won't be doing that again. Will definitely make sure we all arrive an hour early next time.

V never lost a single set to anyone and so it was definitely a good thing she was in this tournament. She's going to be shaping the meta for this game a lot more than most players. This tournament would of been completely remiss without her in it. And no one would of realized just how good she is at this game.

I know there is a lot of saltiness towards the Counter Tree/Trip Sapling, but I don't want to see customs pulled just because V beat most of the players today with them. V definitely didn't rely purely on those customs as her Villager lost to both a Mario and a Charizard at the tournament. I think the Charizard was using a custom fire breath that went through the gyroid to beat her out in neutral, but honestly I didn't see the match myself. All I know is that he spiked her Villager, even with the exploding balloons on, and got a early win.

I didn't see the Mario beat V's Villager either, but I'm pretty sure I know how it went down. My Zelda is pretty bad, but it can beat V's Villager time to time.
There are a lot of moments where Villager and her opponent will both be standing at either side of the Trip Sapling. If Villager uses the Pushy Lloid at this spot then it can easily be reflected by the opponent. If Villager was hoping to dash in with the Lloid then the character is now getting hit by their own projectile. If V's on top of her game then she noticed the problem and threw up her shield, but the Pushy Lloid deals multiple hits so now she's stuck blocking while her opponent can approach for free.
Either way that works out, Villager is moved away from the sapling and has to fight to get back to it. So I'm pretty sure that's how the Mario player took her on.

Last edited:

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
sarah: haven't seen you at these tournaments but thought you did great, gunner seems very tricky to deal with lol. sorry for camp wars with dog.
Don't apologize - I went in thinking I could take DHD without swapping my medium range projectiles out for longer ranged ones. I didn't make this mistake with V's villager after I fought you and in the future, against characters who zone harder than the gunner does, I know I need to either swap character or swap customs capable of keeping pressure up when I'm shut out.

I'm more pissed at myself for losing a stock to your DeDeDe because I forgot I lost my mid-air jump.

Top Bottom