• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Anyone want videos? No sound and average picture but I'm uploading whatever replays I have on my Wii.

Sebby vs. Dean
Attila vs. Dean
Winners' and grand finals are uploading now as well.

How would one go about purchasing a video capture device in order to do this?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i got a capture card from ebay aaaaages ago... it was like, 40 bucks or something.

'dazzle' or something like that.

SL.Chris

Smash Cadet
Hey Guys,

Thanks to all who came out on the weekend, I want to apologise firstly for not having the splitters ready and running the cool split screen setup like I wanted to. Unfortunately, there was a delay in the shipment so there wasn't much I could do. >.<

Secondly, I didn't get a chance to set up all the CRT's the night before but it looked like you guys managed alright. Hopefully by the end of the year we'll have all our own consoles so that whenever there is an event, everything will be ready to go and you guys can just come down and play. =)

I want to take this opportunity to ask you guys what you feel is a good frequency for these events. At the moment, we have a schedule set up for our other fighting games where the 2D and the 3D games rotate on fortnightly basis.

On Sunday's we have our 2D Fighters (Street Fighter, Marvel etc.) and on every other Saturday we have our 3D Fighters (Tekken, Soul Calibur etc.). So one week is 2D and the next week is 3D etc.

How do you guys feel about having fornightly events? I know traditionally they have been monthly, but if you guys had the option of more events, is that something you feel would be good for the Smash Community?

At the moment, I've paired Smash with the 2D Fighters just to follow the convention of having Smash Events on a Sunday. If you guys feel that Saturday might be a better fit, I could easily arrange for Smash to be setup with the 3D Fighters.

So yea, what do you guys feel about the frequency? If you're happy to have more events, we can easily accomodate for that, but if you guys would like to keep it monthly that won't be a problem either.

With the release of Sony Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale next month, I was thinking of running regular events for it as well to promote a competitive scene and strong growth for the game.
At this stage, my plan is to run it along side our 3D Fighters on the Saturday since for 3D we primarily use PS3's so that makes it easy to organise.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. =)

Thanks.

PS. Jamwa - Your Wii Console is safe here at SLHQ. You can come and pick it up anytime or if you're nearby the city I can drop it off for you. =)

Attila_

BRoomer
Thanks Chris, it was a fun tourney.

Obvious attendance was low; uni and year 12 exams no doubt played a big role. Expect this to improve in coming weeks.

I personally would like fortnightly meets, but I can't speak for everyone.

Also dean, if you give me the wii replay files, I can upload the videos from a capture card.

:phone:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
fortnightly is too often. 4 weeks/once a month is enough for me, I can see people getting burnt out otherwise imo.

The smash day should be alternated, one time on sat one time on sunday.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Thanks Chris, it was a fun tourney.

Obvious attendance was low; uni and year 12 exams no doubt played a big role. Expect this to improve in coming weeks.

I personally would like fortnightly meets, but I can't speak for everyone.

Also dean, if you give me the wii replay files, I can upload the videos from a capture card.

Right-o. http://www.mediafire.com/?32j29cb2s1a4wz6

Splice

Smash Hero
What if Brawl and Melee were seperate fortnightly?

as in like
14 days
Brawl tournament
14 days
Melee tournament
etc.

You would not burn out (espc. if you only played one of the games) and there would be time for all those great things like Stamina Teams Items and Crews.
Both events would be a little smaller but I think the majority of the scene would be there on both days.
Or is that just me? :c

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i had the same thought bill
it sort of splits the scene which we never want
but then again bam split the games over 2 days and it was great

Toshi

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind either way.

But I agree on having alternate days (Saturday/Sunday).

TidusAni

Smash Apprentice
I agree with keeping the scene together, although i dont know any of the brawl kids except the ones who play melee, having alternating days is bad imo

I would like to have once a month too, but if the consoles/tvs are set up id be up for going once every 2weeks sometimes to have friendlies and just see/hang out with people

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
idk the scene was pretty strong in 2009-2010
probably lost the most melee players in that year if any year

and got the most during 2011 when lots of brawlers started to try melee

?????

brawl scene was strong since it was new. long term wise you need the cross over

SL.Chris

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the responses everyone. =)

The first thing I'll say is, I don't intend to split Melee and Brawl unless there is a huge request for it.
While I understand the games are different, having both of those games together is what makes the Smash community a whole, so I would definitely prefer to keep them on the same day.

The other thing to take into account is how will Playstation All-Stars affect this? At this stage I can't really say whether or not the majority of the players will be coming from the Smash Community or whether the game will draw in a new crowd.

I guess we will just have to wait and see, for the time being though I plan to keep Smash and All-Stars seperate for the first month or so and then re-assess the scheduling based on community feedback.

About the frequency of events, it seems pretty even in terms of how often people would like to see them organised.

Both parties make valid points, if there are too many events too often people may burn out after a while but on the flip side having more events allows the flexibility for side tournaments and friendlies.

Seeing as it is exam period for Year 12 and Uni students, how about we make the next event in a months time? So that would be on the 25th of November.

Jei, if everyone is cool with that date would you be able to update the original post?

We'll be undergoing some slight renovations over the next month at ShadowLogicHQ, but hopefully by the next Smash event we'll have the following things ready:

- Permanent CRT and Wii setups for Smash, not only on event days but for casuals and friendlies though out the week as well.

- We would have picked up all of our own consoles and copies of the games by then, so people will only need to bring their controllers with them to events.

- We'll have worked out all the technical requirements to get Smash streamed and have the matches recorded and uploaded to Youtube.

2013 looks like it is going to be a big year for Smash, especially with Melee looking very likely to secure a spot in the EVO 2013 game lineup.

In tradition with our other fighting games, every year we look to a qualifying event in lead up to EVO to send our best player over to represent Melbourne/Australia.

If Melee does make the cut, you guys can bet that we'll be doing everything that we can at ShadowLogic to send one of guys over to play in the biggest fighting game tournament in the world.

Anyway, we've still got 2012 to wrap up but hopefully we have an awesome year of Smash to look forward to in 2013. =)

So yea, if you guys are happy with the next event in a month, we'll pencil down the 25th of November at ShadowLogicHQ.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I played some of the beta playstation all stars online and its actually quite fun. The net code is really good too, pretty much zero lag. Smashes brawl online anyday, but i think alot of games in general do. I'm getting my own copy, but i cant say much about the smash community being interested. Half of them probably don't even own a ps3, and smash will be too favorable. I could be wrong though!

25th of Novmeber sounds okay to me, although I would prefer a Saturday.

Nido

ily Sebby
I'm likely to get the PS3 game too, I'd actually prefer the next event to be on the 1st or 2nd of December though.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Ill be trying the ps allstars at some random event, ill decide then if I want the game

Evo2k13 here I come

Toshi

Smash Journeyman
Mmm, I'm interested in trying out PS All Stars.

Keep up the good work Chris.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I think PlayStation All-Stars has the potential to provide the greatest crossover with the Smash cohort. Fingers crossed that the game is great and well received.

Sadly I'll be out of the country for eight months, so I won't be able to attend the Nov 25 meet. Maybe I'll start up a PSASBR tourney in conjunction with the Pinoy 2D Fighters community in Manila. No one there plays Smash :(

Jamwa

Smash Champion
The cast is just so

CRASH WHERE ARE YOU
RATCHET AND CLANK ARE NOTHING WITHOUT THE WHIP
NO VIEWTIFUL JOE OR MERCURY MELTDOWN?
seriously, imagine playing that sexy red man blob

dean saw brawl minis; it makes no sense
gotta play it now

Chris if you see this, I'll be coming to pick up my Wii tomorrow, but if you're in the city anyway I can meet you as I live 15 minutes away from Flinders St.

Attila_

BRoomer
there's a pokemon tourney on the 25th, and i'll be going to that. i'm missed the last two due to smash :(

will be arriving in the late afternoon for a super hype mm with earl, though :D

Top Bottom