• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Why would they do that? That's the most prominent form of DLC for a fighting game.
Protip: if a post of mine has sarcastic crossed out text that contradicts what I'm saying, has small text that does the same as the aforementioned, grayed out text that does the same as the aforementioned, features :4pacman: or :troll:, it is not to be taken seriously, and is most likely a joke.

I may hate having to pay to get access to all the essentials for a fighting game, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if they didn't do DLC characters. My stance on DLC characters is basically the developers saying https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoYWdHe4tQ4. Especially if I like the character. Then I get even more pissed that I have to pay extra for them. Like General Zod in Injustice.

Man it'd be great if my sig came true.
Indeed. A game with both EarthBound boys, Shulk, and Mewtwo playable would be a game to behold.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think the later emails have been brought into question, particularly the one with Chrom, Shulk and Chorus Men.

The thing that makes me happy is that the list isn't the full list of newcomers, as was commonly assumed. It also has made me more confident about Lucas.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the later emails have been brought into question, particularly the one with Chrom, Shulk and Chorus Men.

The thing that makes me happy is that the lost isn't the full list of newcomers, as was commonly assumed. It also has made me more confident about Lucas.
You mean to say you actually thought that vague comment meant something?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm not sure what the remaining list of newcomers is now. I'm certain on Shulk and Ridley, but that's it.
I think a Zelda newcomer is actual very possible now. Between Impa with a cloned moveset from Sheik, or Ghirahim with a unique moveset, or someone else like Tetra.

D

Deleted member

Chrom fan reactions the Gematsu leak :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I laughed harder then I probably should have.
Funny thing till the end it did look like how a dialgoue with Chrom would have with those two characters in his game about something like that, at least as close as a fan created image does. Or maybe I liked it it's just interesting to have a different fan variation of Chrom since yesterday other then sobbing on the ground or getting his face plastered onto Falcon Punch gifs .

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
lucina.png

So... stop saying she's a costume.

This facebook group I was in kept calling her "Marth for casuals" and whining and moaning about her existence. What a bunch of babies. :glare:

So I left the group. I can't be associated with people like that. Bleh.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I always assumed Chrom was planned from the start, but was demoted somewhere during development due to complaints from the fans and the lack of versatility with the game designers. Hence why we've gotten Robin instead and Chrom only cameos as part of Robin's Final Smash.

As for Lucina, I don't know. Maybe at one point Robin's Final Smash was Chrom's instead with him and Lucina attacking together, and after the changes Lucina was scrapped for a while but was later revived as a clone character for padding and fanservice.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I always assumed Chrom was planned from the start, but was demoted somewhere during development due to complaints from the fans and the lack of versatility with the game designers. Hence why we've gotten Robin instead and Chrom only cameos as part of Robin's Final Smash.

As for Lucina, I don't know. Maybe at one point Robin's Final Smash was Chrom's instead with him and Lucina attacking together, and after the changes Lucina was scrapped for a while but was later revived as a clone character for padding and fanservice.
Given how heated the Fire Emblem debates were even here this time around, I can't image the decision by the developers to chose which of the Fire Emblem Awakening Characters to go with was going to be particularly easy to do. Chrom, Lucina, and Robin all had pretty decent popularity within the fanbase. That may be why Lucina is the first clone newcomer we've had could of been a compromise they reached so they could include two of the three.

Considering Chrom has a model for the final smash that doesn't look graphically inferior like some of the assist trophies are does seem to support what your describing. It doesn't appear the Chrom was a complete afterthought.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I felt the same way. Like maybe Chrom was planned, but then they replaced him with Robin, and Lucina was supposed to appear in Female Robin's final smash. However, due to popularity, and both characters having similar proportions, they promoted Lucina to playable. I get the feeling that if Lucina was planned from the beginning, she wouldn't be a clone. Not that I really care; because if either Marth or Lucina is closer to Roy, then he is sort of back. Just without ph1r3 and Jun Fukuyama.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
This facebook group I was in kept calling her "Marth for casuals" and whining and moaning about her existence. What a bunch of babies. :glare:

So I left the group. I can't be associated with people like that. Bleh.
Lucina is a Marth for dummies basically, due to the lack of a tipper system.

Not that it's a bad thing.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Lucina is a Marth for dummies basically, due to the lack of a tipper system.

Not that it's a bad thing.
It really isn't.

I might prefer Lucina. Not because I'm bad at sweetspotting with Marth, but because since her blade tip is weaker but the rest of the blade is buffed as a result, I don't have to worry about spacing. It was a reason I didn't like playing Marth. Eh.

Not that I don't like sweetspots at all. Falcon's Knee makes me feel good about myself every time I sweetspot it.

D

Deleted member

We'll get Bad Boxart Megaman as a DLC character. :troll:
Please. He was so sad at finding out he wasn't part of Mega Man's Final Smash.

Him being left out can mean only one thing; Bad Box Art Mega Man is playable. It is his destiny!

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I may hate having to pay to get access to all the essentials for a fighting game, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if they didn't do DLC characters. My stance on DLC characters is basically the developers saying https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoYWdHe4tQ4. Especially if I like the character. Then I get even more pissed that I have to pay extra for them. Like General Zod in Injustice.
Are you saying the company desiring money is a bad thing? This is the same issue people have with Capcom (despite them doing some pretty stupid stuff, yes). "Capcom is bad because they want money" is basically what I hear all the time. The on-disc content complaints flooded chatrooms constantly and I got tired of it.

This logic goes for every single company that does make DLC for their games that is paid, which is a VERY high percent of them. And we're just now saying that companies charging you for things that -are- extra, things that were not ever slated to be included with the original content you bought, is bad.

Honestly that's just another sign of gamers feeling like they're entitled to things. Yes, I don't like paying for DLC left and right on things, but no, I'm not going to be upset with a company for doing it. I'll just not buy it unless it's something I want.

That goes for every single thing you buy in life.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
As long as the DLC is free I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it.

Can one of the DLC items be a mercedes benz car :troll:

D

Deleted member

Are you saying the company desiring money is a bad thing?
No. I guess it really does depend on what they do regarding DLC. If they balance it out and offer some things for free, but charge for others, I'll be fine with it. I just dislike charging for characters in general. They are essential for a fighting game. If a new character is introduced, it can drastically alter matchups and what not. You have to pay for the character, even if you don't want them, just to know how to fight against them. I shouldn't have to pay in order to learn a matchup. That is what I dislike. Charging for costumes and stages and crud; I'm completely okay with. They don't affect how the game is played at it's core, and are neat little additions if you want to buy them.

Can one of the DLC items be a mercedes benz car :troll:
Please. It can function like a better version of the Bullet Bill.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I wouldn't mind DLC, the only way I'd expect the slightest chance of what I confessed to giving up on yesterday, but even then I won't be too heart struck if it doesn't happen. As far as DLC goes, I think it's gonna be Pichu, Toon Zelda, Luna Lovegood, Krystal if she don't make it into the legit roster, and Roy. The rest will be speculated later.

D

Deleted member

I doubt Roy will be DLC at this point. We have Lucina, and Marth is apparently slower and worse in the air overall. I'd love for him to be playable, but at this point, I just want him to be a trophy. Why wasn't he one in Brawl?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I doubt Roy will be DLC at this point. We have Lucina, and Marth is apparently slower and worse in the air overall. I'd love for him to be playable, but at this point, I just want him to be a trophy. Why wasn't he one in Brawl?
All I know is that he was planned for Brawl, but then Sonic outran him and 6 other guys for the last spot when SEGA finally gave Sakurai permission to use Sonic. I know Mewtwo was a trophy, but Roy continues to elude me

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Heck, even Pichu got a trophy. Why didn't Roy get one? Was adding ph1r3 to the trophy model too hard?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Heck, even Pichu got a trophy. Why didn't Roy get one? Was adding ph1r3 to the trophy model too hard?
It's because at the time he was not blue-haired. So he was not as special.
This time around we were able to fight for equal rights for all hair colors. So he might have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom