• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sirias discussions: Currently (???)

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
This really doesn't work as a logical discussion imo but whatever i'll post as I am bored

I really don't even see what the problem is with people being judgmental on homosexuals and gays, until recently society saw it as immoral but could only use religion to back up their claims, yet most religious teachings tell you to be accepting of other people. The social value that same sex relations are bad is pretty much brought down to either religious groups that follow their book of teachings (despite contradictions in some) or people being completely ignorant by stating that it is "unnatural" for feelings towards a member of the same sex (even though feeling of love/desire have nothing to with strictly opposing sexes psychologically speaking).

Unfortunately like most of us we tend to subconsciously follow the morals and values of whomever we look up to which explains the majority of society having this view until recently, maybe because of the information age we live in now people are actually starting to see other opinions and take them into account.

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
Well, as the matter is so ambiguous it should be considered a debate, but seeing as no one on smashboards is really enough of a a-hole to be a homophobe then it is a discussion of sorts. Alzi is just playing the devils advocate most of the time I think, or he doesn't know very much on the topic.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I was raised in a very Christian family, but also had an influence in openly gay and bi friends growing up. Their sexual preference never bothered me at all, and the most difficult thing to comprehend about the issue for me is why people would consider it "wrong". My parents never told me homosexuality is immoral, my conscience certainly didn't, and there seemed no logical reason to believe so - the only evidence was the word of religious texts. (The more pressing moral conflict to me as a young teenager quickly became the growing set of clashes between my conscience and Bible teachings, and I soon became agnostic.)

Sexual attraction is such an instinctual thing, it seems utterly absurd to tell someone that them being gay is wrong, much like if someone came up to me and told me being attracted to women was immoral. Although come to think of it, some fundamentalists borderline on doing just that...
Religion is a powerful thing.

(Keep religion in the right context with this. Stuff about creationism vs. evolution will get this thread locked very quickly. Smashboards Policy :/ )

Nova

Banned via Warnings
This really doesn't work as a logical discussion imo but whatever i'll post as I am bored

I really don't even see what the problem is with people being judgmental on homosexuals and gays, until recently society saw it as immoral but could only use religion to back up their claims, yet most religious teachings tell you to be accepting of other people. The social value that same sex relations are bad is pretty much brought down to either religious groups that follow their book of teachings (despite contradictions in some) or people being completely ignorant by stating that it is "unnatural" for feelings towards a member of the same sex (even though feeling of love/desire have nothing to with strictly opposing sexes psychologically speaking).

Unfortunately like most of us we tend to subconsciously follow the morals and values of whomever we look up to which explains the majority of society having this view until recently, maybe because of the information age we live in now people are actually starting to see other opinions and take them into account.
I agree with this.
I'd much rather be a gay living in the world in my 20's now, rather than living as a gay 20yo 40 years ago, or even 20.
Society has become much more accepting on this issue (and religion has become less followed).

Well, as the matter is so ambiguous it should be considered a debate, but seeing as no one on smashboards is really enough of a a-hole to be a homophobe then it is a discussion of sorts. Alzi is just playing the devils advocate most of the time I think, or he doesn't know very much on the topic.
Lol, I'd love to see any homophobe try and act that way (without the backing of other ****heads) near me. A year ago that idea would have scared me.

However the Smash community is very accepting, I've found.
Sure everyone calls things gay in a derogatory sense, but so do gay people themselves. I became happier when I stopped taking myself so seriously and realised that my biggest critic was myself and that in the end, I really didn't give a eff what other people thought regarding a preference that'll never have anything to do with them.
Blah ranting.

It's all about self-acceptance, imo. If you don't accept yourself you'll never be happy, really. :/

swordsaint

Smash Master
Unreon, I apologise in advance if this is something you won't approve of, but you seem very close minded about religion. It's obviously ok to not be religious, but that quote of yours (given your science background) just makes it seem like you're not as accepting of those who do believe.

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
I wanna know what syke said that got changed.

Anyways thats enough late night debating for me I'm out

One last thing though, whilst we in Australia are quite tollerant it is also true that some Australian's are very intollerant of things. Melbourne is a very multisexual (if thats a word) community, but I grew up in Bendigo, which is only 2 hours away and it is very very different there. Imagine how a redneck feels about blacks, its the same way that they feel about gays and such.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
wtf, are you kidding me? Of all things, the least debatable topic gets things locked? ._.
This is precisely why they it is not allowed.

Unreon, I apologise in advance if this is something you won't approve of, but you seem very close minded about religion. It's obviously ok to not be religious, but that quote of yours (given your science background) just makes it seem like you're not as accepting of those who do believe.
I don't think he meant it quite the way you read it, although I don't blame you because I read what he said the same way at first.

The point Unny is making is that there IS indeed little to debate.

You subscribe to an ideology, and that's about it. Debates specifically about religion or atheism do not end well. The world and history proves this, as does previous attempts on smashboards.

So I am going to straight up ask you guys to avoid the discussion completely (unless relevant to the context of the current discussion).

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I'm guessing he said something about that ridiculous argument we're not allowed to talk about.

Also, it's true that some Australian's are intolerant of things.
Bogans/Rednecks are lol. Since my mother is a bit of a bogan and my father is a wog, I've never really had much trouble accepting much.
Except myself, really.

Edit: You can find good and bad in anything though.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
i dont really find gay that "natural"... it is a "natural" exception i guess.
if a guy is a key and the girl is a lock then they reproduce together..
gays cannot.. this doesn't mean that thier cant be love...guuuy love.

the crap that gays put up with... i dont want to deal with that if i was one :S
kas probably knows more =P

mm creationism could get abit heated.. seems one sided to me. but its the one sided things that make people go crazy like an regilious extremist.

and bi sexuals just take what they can get? i mean love is blind right?i mean ageless? i mean genderless...
i believe that love is genderless but doesn't mean i want to fool around with guys because of my personal preferances, trouble that entails. i wouldn't really say religious views because frankly i dont believe it as much as the church

swordsaint

Smash Master
Vyse. After reading it, I came to another meaning, that he probably meant. This here being a logic discussion, where one has defined arguments, religion doesn't have a place in. It's a belief, and it's ok to be a believer, but there's more logic behind evolution.

I hope this doesn't get this locked as I was only trying to decipher Unreons real meaning.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Vyse. After reading it, I came to another meaning, that he probably meant. This here being a logic discussion, where one has defined arguments, religion doesn't have a place in. It's a belief, and it's ok to be a believer, but there's more logic behind evolution.

I hope this doesn't get this locked as I was only trying to decipher Unreons real meaning.
Scoot, whilst that may be correct, no disrespect bro, but your wording is already extremely subjective. Unreon, if you want to reply, please do so, but then nobody is to respond after that.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Rage, I'm not your friend Attila? O_O
thats not fair nova, ive only met you a few times, and weve never hang out or anything...

I've said it before, but (and I quote) hating Alzi is like hating a child who doesn't know he's doing anything wrong.

So just be the better man, and don't get angry at Alzi for things he means no harm by.
im impressed with the truth and maturity behind this statement. gj

Sieg

Smash Champion
Unny and I were actually talking Creationism v Evolution on the train when we were heading to the City when Thriller was on lol.

It's kind of sad that policy doesn't allow it because it is an interesting debate, and it does open up your mind to the many possibilities.

Sirias

Smash Champion
"kas probably knows more =P"

**** YEAH I DO!
This fcuking discussion is ******** I don't wanna read another god danm post.
Change the danm topic, god danm.

And stop talking about religion!!!!!

Being gay and attracted to males is as unnatural as being attracted to grossly overweight, lazy blob ***** females that don't do **** (wow, sounds like my mum, lolll).
I do not kid you.
That is how it is, that is how some people think.
Yet even so, the latter is a female, so it's still morally ok.

There's nothing to discuss about this.
We all know everything about why it's hated, and that's all.
Can't do anything, just stfu, don't think about it.

Next topic~

Edit:

Existentialism is neat. <3
To be honest, I think this thread in general is stupid.
You're better off talking about any "serious" topic 'face to face'.
Or at least in an environment where you can talk continually.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Lol I already said that about this topic, Kas.
Although it hasn't stopped me from posting over and over.

So clearly the next "discussion" should be regarding this topic's usefulness. ^_^

Sieg

Smash Champion
Unreon and I discussed something that came up last night, and I learned some very interesting things from this short conversation we had.

Therefore this thread is useful and intuitive.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
It's not 100% proven but theres a lot more evidence to indicate that it's the most likely explanation for life. Bacteria is living proof that evolution is real. The concept of "survival of the fittest" comes to mind.

Evolution is not "microbe -> fish -> frog -> rat -> ape -> Human!!!!!!!!".

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
its not like it disproves religion, its just people clinging to an idea in the bible that seem to be very aggresive in thier beliefs.

k next topic something not gay..

doesn't have to be a debate..
how to stop global warming?
the future?
discussion on random time travel paradox things.
racism?
is it wrong to have 20 wives?
WAAAAR?

megapup

Smash Apprentice
If there's enough room for a debate to be going on about whether or not its real, its clearly not 100% proven yet.
to clarify
it is 100% proven that "things evolve"
but different theorys of why arent.

and the logic still fails. any ****** can argue things that are proven.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
No, Alzi.
On that note though I'm surprised I haven't been banned today, I love sitting on 5 points.

Also, if you want to debate something which annoys people, try the Censorship of the Internet Labor were going for (whatever happened to that?).
Or the lack of R rated games.
Either of which are of no consequence to me. :D

Alzi

Smash Master
It's because you fail Nova. I've only got 1 infraction point. You have 5 because you cannot control yourself.

R rated games is a good one though.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I can control myself, Foulzi.
I just choose to censor dodge all the time.
It's not like anyone really cares about being banned, except maybe you.

The wounds, they do so heeeeeeeaaaaal.

megapup

Smash Apprentice
There is no point debating R rated games. We all want them.
true that.
what happened to the internet censorship anyway? I heard they were going to test it or something but I dont think it ever happened

Top Bottom