• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SINGLES Lucario Match-Ups and Directory! Mario will brb saving a princess

Timbers

check me out
Roy_R vs. Azen's set a couple of months ago is a good example of what happens when Lucarios roll into Marths, save for Roy continuously fulljumping his fairs which allowed Azen to at least trade hits with utilts.

EDIT: I think the reason it's mentioned that rolling hurts Marth is due to him being unable to space properly when airborne against an opponent directly behind him. Luc has trashy oos options even with a poorly spaced aerial. They're talking Marth in general, not Marth vs. Lucario.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
btw underneath him is the best place to be, but remember that a good marth can still space a fair to tip underneath (fair has a good arc). This is imo a solid 60:40, leaning more towards more disadvantageous. I think that the few things we've got that he doesn't is more solid kill moves (AS and fsmash), a projectile, better shield pressure (he has dtilt, don't say "fourth down DB", because any good marth will tell you it's a horrible idea to do) and aura boost. Don't get hit off the edge early, marth has good edgeguarding options. Marth is actually not so good in terms of recovering back (he has an average recovery), just don't always expect edgehogging as a viable guard, since he can DB stall then UpB to reset your advantage.
He has much better SH options, you're going to be using shield for quite the time (if you're smart, you shouldn't get hit by SB, so the only more viable option for him is grab).
On terms of grab game, he definitely has more POTENTIAL. This doesn't mean necessarily that he has better options/better grab game. If you know how to DI, you shouldn't get hit by half of the "fthrow -> tippered aerial" jazz unless it's very early in the game. We have some good, solid grabs that make for good punishing, and can be followed up by one or two aerials usually before he can react with his own.
Now on the rolling subject, he has amazing punish options if you don't do it right (DB, bair at high percents, the occasional dtilt/ turnaround grab). You don't use roll as a solid countermeasure for his SH fair, doing so will give yourself a world of hurt. Do this if he doesn't do retreating fair or if he does a nair, and sometimes if he does an empty hop (he's usually expecting that you stay in your position, expecting a fair, so that he can FF to a grab). Anything other than these categories will get you slashed (unless he whiffs/landlags, which will hardly happen).
Against marth, you'll have to play stupidly defensive, almost ike-like (except with a projectile), in order to stand a chance.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I know a really good Ike/Marth main IRL, and I play quite a few Marths in general. I've beaten my fair share of 'em, I'll try to explain how.

Marth has not any projectiles, whereas we has a very nice projectiles. Abuse that! Any time you have distance between you, start throwing out some speed bumps in the form of BAS or other AS. Be smart about, though. Time them so that they'll collide with his feet as he lands a SH from a Fair (which Marth loves to do).

Don't FP chaingrab him or you'll get dolphin slashed.:dizzy:

DO try to juggle him with Utilt. You can sometimes land a Utilt if you shield his Fair. If he dolphin slashes out of the juggle, then he's a dum dum (providing he's far enough above you and you won't get hit) and you can punish.

Offstage play can go either way, IMO. While Marth's dolphin slash does damage and good knockback, it's vertical range is very limited. If you're feeling confident, go for the gimp. Mind that dolphin slash doesn't stagespike you. You'd want to engage Marth a bit farther out from the stage for that reason. Remember, Marth's spike takes a sweetspot. He can footstool > sweetspot Dair you, so watch out for that hawtness. I think recovering higher up would be a better idea, since you have more options and Marth won't get above your head.

Some Marths like to intimidate with ShieldBreaker. Getting my shield cracked has lost me a battle or two in the past. But remember, we have great rolls. In most cases, you should be able to simply roll behind him and punish, but again don't be foolish with your rolls. So DONT PANIC

For some reason, Lucario's grab game seems particularly useful in this matchup. Probably because you're going to want to wait to punish Marth. He doesn't have a whole lot of lag, but his good range and priority can make things difficult for you. Defensive play will win the day.

Marth's Usmash seems to be a useful move. I second Marth, and I find that it's range and hitbox make it ideal for juggling. Don't try to Dair it from a mile above. No airborne rave parties, guys :(

Good counterpicks would be not Battlefield, Jungle Japes, not Battlefield, Smashville, and not Battle field. JJ is pretty rough on his weak vertical recovery, while Smashville is a fairly even stage in general. I would say FD, but it seems to me that that stage practically begs for gimps. Then again, you have wallcling, so this might not be a poor choice either.

Well, I think that's it. This match is hard to translate from the actual event. I just kind of do stuff and win.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I know a really good Ike/Marth main IRL, and I play quite a few Marths in general. I've beaten my fair share of 'em, I'll try to explain how.

Marth has not any projectiles, whereas we has a very nice projectiles. Abuse that! Any time you have distance between you, start throwing out some speed bumps in the form of BAS or other AS. Be smart about, though. Time them so that they'll collide with his feet as he lands a SH from a Fair (which Marth loves to do).
AGREED!

Don't FP chaingrab him or you'll get dolphin slashed.:dizzy:
HOW ABOUT "DON'T FP ANYONE UNLESS THEY DON'T KNOW A CLUE ABOUT IT"!?! MARTH ESPECIALLY, BUT DS WON'T BE THE BIGGEST OF YOUR WORRIES IF HE BREAKS FREE OF THE SECOND/THIRD ATTEMPT!
DO try to juggle him with Utilt. You can sometimes land a Utilt if you shield his Fair. If he dolphin slashes out of the juggle, then he's a dum dum (providing he's far enough above you and you won't get hit) and you can punish.
UTILT YES, WATCH IT THO THAT IF HE HAPPENS TO EMPTY HOP THAT YOU DON'T UTILT RIGHT AWAY. AND IF YOU ARE UTILTING AT HIGH PERCENTS, YOU'LL WANT TO WATCH OUT FOR DS, SINCE IT CAN KILL EVEN AT HIS FEET (MARTH CAN DO A FOOTSTOOL -> DS AND IT'LL AUTOSWEETSPOT)!
Offstage play can go either way, IMO. While Marth's dolphin slash does damage and good knockback, it's vertical range is very limited. If you're feeling confident, go for the gimp. Mind that dolphin slash doesn't stagespike you. You'd want to engage Marth a bit farther out from the stage for that reason. Remember, Marth's spike takes a sweetspot. He can footstool > sweetspot Dair you, so watch out for that hawtness. I think recovering higher up would be a better idea, since you have more options and Marth won't get above your head.
THIS IS WHERE I DISAGREE A BIT! DS CAN STAGESPIKE! DON'T BELIEVE ME? WATCH THIS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqAzaaIADTc
00:37, IT IS CLEARLY A STAGE SPIKE! MARTH CAN REPEL PRETTY WELL TRYING TO GET BACK, BUT CERTAINLY IF YOU THINK YOU CAN PUNISH HIM, HE'S NO METAGAY, SO YOU CAN IF YOU'RE SMART ABOUT IT! OH, AND MOST MARTHS WON'T BE LOOKING FOR FS -> DAIR UNLESS YOU ARE OFFSTAGE AT BELOW 50% OR SO, SINCE IT IS SO SITUATIONAL! RECOVERING ABOVE IS SOMETIMES JUST AS RISKY AS BELOW, SINCE MARTH HAS REALLY GOOD OPTIONS ABOVE HIM (IT'S EASIER TO HIM TO NAIR, WHICH ***** AD, PLUS HE HAS UTILT, USMASH, FAIR, AND UAIR FOR A STAR KO).
Some Marths like to intimidate with ShieldBreaker. Getting my shield cracked has lost me a battle or two in the past. But remember, we have great rolls. In most cases, you should be able to simply roll behind him and punish, but again don't be foolish with your rolls. So DONT PANIC

For some reason, Lucario's grab game seems particularly useful in this matchup. Probably because you're going to want to wait to punish Marth. He doesn't have a whole lot of lag, but his good range and priority can make things difficult for you. Defensive play will win the day.
AGREED!
Marth's Usmash seems to be a useful move. I second Marth, and I find that it's range and hitbox make it ideal for juggling. Don't try to Dair it from a mile above. No airborne rave parties, guys :(
YES AND NO. NO, DAIR SHOULD NOT BE AN OFFENSIVE OPTION! IF HE DOES A UTILT, YOU WON'T WANT TO TRY TO PUNISH WITH DAIR EITHER! BUT PROVIDED A USMASH, AND DAIR CAN BE USED AS PUNISHMENT, AS USMASH'S HITBOX DOESN'T HANG AROUND!
Good counterpicks would be not Battlefield, Jungle Japes, not Battlefield, Smashville, and not Battle field. JJ is pretty rough on his weak vertical recovery, while Smashville is a fairly even stage in general. I would say FD, but it seems to me that that stage practically begs for gimps. Then again, you have wallcling, so this might not be a poor choice either.
AGREED.
Well, I think that's it. This match is hard to translate from the actual event. I just kind of do stuff and win.
Comments in SCIENCE! font.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
This match up is to senario centric. But marth does have the advantage. His air game has more range. Once again what stages can we counter pick on and what the winning rate.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
Roy_R vs. Azen's set a couple of months ago is a good example of what happens when Lucarios roll into Marths, save for Roy continuously fulljumping his fairs which allowed Azen to at least trade hits with utilts.

EDIT: I think the reason it's mentioned that rolling hurts Marth is due to him being unable to space properly when airborne against an opponent directly behind him. Luc has trashy oos options even with a poorly spaced aerial. They're talking Marth in general, not Marth vs. Lucario.
lol Timbers no. Were you watching the right matches? Azen rarely gets punished AT ALL for rolling behind an aerial Marth, and most of the time he's able to jab/tilt him midair -- and I'm not just talking about the fullhopped fairs; the sh fairs are punished as well:

1st match

:15 - Azen rolls behind and usmashes.
:18 - Azen lands two jabs after a dodged sh fair
2:22 - Roll behind, utilt

2nd match

:16 - Roll, roll, utilt
4:55 - Rolls behind spaced bair and utilts
5:00 - Azen predicts the ff fair and rolls
5:28 - Rolls through sh fair and utilts

Smart rollers are difficult to punish with characters who have to commit to aerials, like Marth. Again, though, this is not something to be abused often, since grounded Marths can punish rolls very easily. But as long as you're smart with it, Lucario's quick roll can **** over his spacing pretty easily.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
lol Timbers no. Were you watching the right matches? Azen rarely gets punished AT ALL for rolling behind an aerial Marth, and most of the time he's able to jab/tilt him midair -- and I'm not just talking about the fullhopped fairs; the sh fairs are punished as well:

1st match

2nd match

Smart rollers are difficult to punish with characters who have to commit to aerials, like Marth. Again, though, this is not something to be abused often, since grounded Marths can punish rolls very easily. But as long as you're smart with it, Lucario's quick roll can **** over his spacing pretty easily.
We're using Azen as a scapegoat.
Not everyone is an amazing roller.

End note, lucario's rolling helps in the match up, nothing ground breaking.
-t2

iRJi

Smash Champion
Lol, I think its time to explain the matchup. I didn't read any other peoples responces because I don't have time to review it. I'm just going from everything I know, which is too much for this matchup.

Ok to start off, Me and Pierce7D are in the same crew. If you don't know who he is you might want to look him up. Lol. To save time though, he is ranked the 2nd best marth under Neo. But anyway lets get on with the match up.

Marth: To me concidered top 3 of Lucarios worse match ups.

Lets start off by saying his Fair out ranges anything you have in the air and marths love to use this move. This and Nair auto cancel and can be followed up into anything fast (mainly Dancing blade). If the marth know's he is lacking options while you put pressure on him he can use Dolphin Slash (UpB) to get himself out of heavy situations. He is faster in almost every aspect and can KO you pretty early. Some Tech. that most people do not know that I will break down in a list. This list is based off of the Marth vs Lucario matchup.

1) Marth has a grab combo from 0 on a lot of characters, You happen to be one of the few that doesn't get combo'd. If he grabs at 0 he will most likely F-throw to Fair.

2) His U-Air at low percents combo's into any move he has. Be aware that he does have ways to hit you from 0 to high 30's.

3) Try not to chase him off the map. Its a No No. Only edge guard by grabbing the edge, making him non-sweet spot the ledge.

4) Although his Dolphin slash comes out on frame 1 and has Invincibility frames at the beginning, It has a horrible cool down lag. If you see a D-Slash comming just avoid and punish with something decent.

5) marths will short hop Fair alot for aggression. If you know he is going to SH Fair, Space and Fsmash at the farthest range possible. He can't get into the range unless he wants to risk getting hit, and also if he does decide to back off he can't run up and punish you. Try to use this as a decent surprise because he can also counter.

6) Dancing blade kills you. His fastest ground move does about 14~ dmg. Kind of lame right? He will punish almost every mistake you do with it until you are a decent dmg.

7) Marth wants you off the edge. Period. He will try to get you off the edge as fast as possible.

8) Marths edge guard game is amazing. From Gimps to just standing on stage, he can almost punish every option you have on the edge.

9)******This one is Big. From me playing with Pierce all the time, you pick up some dumb **** that make you wanna kill sakurai. Marth has a Grab Trap against Lucario. Here I will go into further explanation:

When Marth grabs you, his floor release does not release that far against Lucario. You have no move fast enough that can stop Marth from regrabbing you.

So in other words, If Marth grabs you, He can pummle until you release and then he can regrab for a pummle again. Your only option is to roll out.

So like your thinking "Hey at least I can roll out" Well yea you can, but now it becomes a Tech. Chase because He knows you can roll out of it. See the point?

10) Speed is important, Tilts are 100% nessessary through this whole match.

11) When it comes down too it, the match up becomes kind og like a guessing game. Try to read him at all times and stop what he's doing. Be 1 step ahead of the game.

Over all this match up is a 60/40 in marths favor. No less or no more then that, and sorry I took so long to say that. I was busy with school.

PS: I can also post a vid with me and pierce if you like? Just tell me if you want me too. I will also edit this a lot if I forgot something. Also, I know all of this information is 100% accurate, I studied this matchup to the Teeth of it.

Edit1: Just to make it clear because I just read it. Just because you have a projectile doesn't mean you shold abuse it so much. Yea, its nice and all... But its easily stopped. marth covers more ground then an MK. You will prob only get 1 AS thrown inbetween the time he can rush you, and if not 1 then maybe 2.

Edit2: Also, marth can be played both passive and agressive. Very technical character. Avoid stages with platforms. (IE: Battle Field, Yoshi, Lylat) and counter pick with stages with no playform or 1 (IE: Smashville, FD) Best counter pick is Frigate because of the missing ledge. Marths do not like that stage at all and its easy to mess with the spacing there.

Also any questions about the matchup I most likely know the answer. Ask me, I will reply =]

Timbers

check me out
I hate when people think I'm wrong.

1st match

1:17- Rolled into Roy and got faired
2:48-Rolled into Roy and got faired
2:49-Luc utilt and dolphin slash trade hits (keeping in mind utilt did 5% and dolphin slash did 11%)

So Azen dishes out ~15% for rolling, while taking ~35% to roll punish.
2nd match

2:52- Rolled into fair
4:10-Rolled into nair
5:00-Not sure what you mean he predicted it, more like Roy predicted the roll and made Azen eat an fair.

And to no surprise, Marth dished out a considerably more damaging punish game than Luc in regards to roll pros and cons.

I think if this logic was applied to possibly Falco or something then it'd be more concerning in Marth's case, but Luc's only CQ game is really just utilt. A low priority, low damaging utilt. And as much as I want to say it's good for setups, there's really not a whole lot Luc can do to Marth in the air when Marth goes defensive. It's a good move and I recommend it be used commonly in this matchup, but rolling into Marth to use it is just not the greatest of ideas. Yes a roll is good every now and then, but encouraging it moreso in this match than others is not something I'd recommend.

you probably just fleshed out 2/3 of the matchup description by yourself lol. If you want to post the vid you're more than welcome to do so.

iRJi

Smash Champion
you probably just fleshed out 2/3 of the matchup description by yourself lol. If you want to post the vid you're more than welcome to do so.
=]. I will try to get a video up by thursday. I have so much school work to do that I haven't played in like 2 weeks or so @_@. I'm suppose to be going to the AirMan Tourney but at this rate I don't even know if im going to make it. Anyway to keep myself on target, If i can't get the video up I'm sorry =[, but if I can it will be up by thursday.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
That was some good stuff RJ, and to add that you fight against Pierce is also pretty credible. I agree with a lot of what this says, although I would say that using jab (not jab mixups) is also a good option for lucario, since its damage isn't highly dependent on aura (which means it will do relatively the same damage at low percents), it's our fastest ground attack, and restores decay pretty well.
DB is just mean, it's already bad enough that it comes out on frame 4 (like his fair), but to restore decay with each hit, plus the up combo is a decent vertical killer (like the fourth up hit is like his 2nd best vertical killer)? So not fair.

I also agree that roll isn't the best thing to do vs. marth, although I think buffering a jump away for an aerial after your roll can do wonders if he's going to try to turnaround DB or fair/bair (aka, there's more than utilt you can do, but it's even more of an unreliable punish option).

Browny

Smash Hater
ugh

iRJi are you 100% sure fair AC's, coz im not. I know it has low landing lag, thats it.
Marth 'grab traps' are no more effective than any other character who can force a ground release unless they are named squirtle or bowser. you can ALWAYS roll dodge faster than any move marth has, and hes not going to be catching lucarios rolldodge since its just way too fast and goes too far.

in a risk v reward scenario i cant imagine any reason whatsoever why a marth would try this. His throws many not do much damage but at least they put you where marth wants you (in the air). Unless he pins you against a wall on delfino or something, thats about the only time i think he could properly techchase from a GR, but you probably would have got dtilt trapped anyway. Its like going for a G&W #9 hammer out of a dthrow techchase. Sure you can take a risk trying to land it, but when youve got far safer and guaranteed options like a jab or dtilt, why would you (excpet G&W #9 hammer has 50x the possible reward.... lol)

iRJi

Smash Champion
ugh

iRJi are you 100% sure fair AC's, coz im not. I know it has low landing lag, thats it.
Marth 'grab traps' are no more effective than any other character who can force a ground release unless they are named squirtle or bowser. you can ALWAYS roll dodge faster than any move marth has, and hes not going to be catching lucarios rolldodge since its just way too fast and goes too far.

in a risk v reward scenario i cant imagine any reason whatsoever why a marth would try this. His throws many not do much damage but at least they put you where marth wants you (in the air). Unless he pins you against a wall on delfino or something, thats about the only time i think he could properly techchase from a GR, but you probably would have got dtilt trapped anyway. Its like going for a G&W #9 hammer out of a dthrow techchase. Sure you can take a risk trying to land it, but when youve got far safer and guaranteed options like a jab or dtilt, why would you (excpet G&W #9 hammer has 50x the possible reward.... lol)
I'm 100% sure that his Fair Auto Cancels. Also let me explain the Grab trap.

When you are grab and released, you both have a certian amount of time of lagg before you respond, for this case you both have the same amount of the time to react out of the grab release, the only issue is that our fastest front move is jab, and its comes out on frame 6. That means that his grab can come out at the same time as your only attack that can hit him. Our fastest move on the floor is UTilt but it starts from the back so it wont make it in time to stop marth. You can't jump backwards because he has enough grab range to get you and you can't Dtilt because of the button imput apon reaction to the release (takes to long to happen) your only option is to roll out of the way. Now you also state the teck chase isnt that bad? Don't forget that his pummel isnt bad at all for speed:dmg ratio and also refreshes his move set. Also if he reads which direction you are going to roll, he can follow up with a dancing blade for extra damage or even a SH Fair. The reward is great in my opinion because you can't do anything about it other then to run, and while you are running all he is going to do is rack dmg and get his move set back. Seems like the reward is too good.

Browny

Smash Hater
I know all about grab traps lol, but marths is the least of my worries when im against him. maybe if it released you into fsmash tipper range there would be a problem. but every character who forces ground releases can do something if they predict your next move, marth isnt unique. Sure his may be more effective than most, but thats all to do with prediction anyway, nothing is guaranteed.

aaand im willing to bet marths pummel -> ground release doesnt refresh his moves. Since mashing A as fast as possible to force ground GR's does nothing to refresh moves. you have to wait periodicially between each attack before it will add to the stale moves list, otherwise it just counts as a multi-hit attack

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
THIS IS WHERE I DISAGREE A BIT! DS CAN STAGESPIKE! DON'T BELIEVE ME? WATCH THIS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqAzaaIADTc
00:37, IT IS CLEARLY A STAGE SPIKE! MARTH CAN REPEL PRETTY WELL TRYING TO GET BACK, BUT CERTAINLY IF YOU THINK YOU CAN PUNISH HIM, HE'S NO METAGAY, SO YOU CAN IF YOU'RE SMART ABOUT IT! OH, AND MOST MARTHS WON'T BE LOOKING FOR FS -> DAIR UNLESS YOU ARE OFFSTAGE AT BELOW 50% OR SO, SINCE IT IS SO SITUATIONAL! RECOVERING ABOVE IS SOMETIMES JUST AS RISKY AS BELOW, SINCE MARTH HAS REALLY GOOD OPTIONS ABOVE HIM (IT'S EASIER TO HIM TO NAIR, WHICH ***** AD, PLUS HE HAS UTILT, USMASH, FAIR, AND UAIR FOR A STAR KO).
Lol you misunderstand, my SCIENTIFIC! friend. I said:
Offstage play can go either way, IMO. While Marth's dolphin slash does damage and good knockback, it's vertical range is very limited. If you're feeling confident, go for the gimp. Mind that dolphin slash doesn't stagespike you. You'd want to engage Marth a bit farther out from the stage for that reason.
What I meant was: Be careful so that DS doesn't stagespike you. Lawlz. I also forgot to mention that Marth means business if he edgeguards backwards, because sweetspotting his spike is easier that way (so says the Marth boards) or he can use Bair, which definitely be more fresh than Fair.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yup, I definitely misunderstood you.
Also, dair is cool, but borderline situational and not going to be used too often unless you are using poor, predictable recovery habits. I would definitely fear a nair or bair offstage (since nair has good knockback even unsweetspotted, and bair is usually pretty fresh for killing).
Edit: Fair autocancels iirc, just as long as you aren't on the very end of the animation, and even then, the lag is very minimal.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
just going to throw in my 2 cents.

As a Lucario:

What moves or tactics should we watch out for?
just about everything. almost all of marth's attacks outrange and beat out most of ours(fsmash, usmash being some exceptions).
of course we all know about marth's tipper effect he has on only all of his attacks
please dont let him dair you offstage....

What moves or tactics should we try to enforce in this match up?
play defensive unless your able to get inside marth(by inside i mean being able to jab him) then he(in my experience) is a hell of a lot more vulnerable then.

Aura sphere and fsmash are absolutely vital to this matchup, we simply wont win without them.

just because marth's aerials(and a couple of his ground moves) outrange ours it does not mean we should not use them for example; a good mindgame option is(assuming your above marth and airborne) dair'ing early and using the lag of his retaliation to dair him again, but hit this time.

an offstage marth is a marth that's in trouble against us, the time it takes for him to use anything to repel an attack from us is a hazard to his survival. he faired you when you followed him offstage? so what, look how much farther down towards the pit of dewm he is, and your likely on the stage again!

we can chain 2 or 3 FPs before he can upb our face, what i like to do is just shield after the 2nd FP and see what he does, which is almost always upb in my experience.... now look how vulnerable he is!

Do you feel Lucario has an advantage in any particular scenario of this matchup?
KO power, marth will have trouble killing us if he does not land down a tipped fsmash or usmash, and his upB cant really KO up till a fair bit after 100%... because of this, we have a KO power advantage on him.

also a couple of attacks we have outrange his, but only a couple(fortunatly fsmash is one). offstage performance is generally better for us, as well. usmash beats him from below, but it shouldnt be used much(be sure you will hit).

Do you feel the opponent can shut down aspects of Lucario's game?
somewhat, AS appears to be a pain in the arse for marth

we cant really shut down his air game due to inferior range

like i said, we have to play defensive unless we get into jab range of him, he isn't scary at all when we are

Counterpicks? What to avoid and what to enforce?
stay away from battle field at all costs, its called marthland for a reason.
final destination and smashville are good options to fight on

ill be quite honest, i this matchup is even, 50:50 or maybe 55:45 in the favor of Marth.
hmm how much flaming will i receive for that matchup ratio...

iRJi

Smash Champion
ill be quite honest, i this matchup is even, 50:50 or maybe 55:45 in the favor of Marth.
hmm how much flaming will i receive for that matchup ratio...
Ill save you all the extra **** from people that might find this amuzing and say lol to it now. This match up being even is like george bush being black, It isn't going to happen.

Timbers

check me out
I know all about grab traps lol, but marths is the least of my worries when im against him. maybe if it released you into fsmash tipper range there would be a problem. but every character who forces ground releases can do something if they predict your next move, marth isnt unique. Sure his may be more effective than most, but thats all to do with prediction anyway, nothing is guaranteed.
At the moment I can't think of a character with good grab range, great aerial and ground speed, and a 4 frame move able to hit on either side of him. Except MK.

It's a pretty big deal for Marth I think, considering if he's just throwing you, you take 4%, and at higher percents that grab doesn't set up into anything.
Ill save you all the extra **** from people that might find this amuzing and say lol to it now. This match up being even is like george bush being black, It isn't going to happen.
I want to hug you with logic.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Also, him being above you = **** time. Marth has relatively few options that are effective below him, since fair has bad vertical range, dair/AD is very punishable in juggling, and counter just doesn't hit below him much. So if you get him above you, uair or bait a dair/AD, then attack with either uair or double jump -> dair.
Lololol @ 50:50 possibility.
Oh and if you mean dsmash Timbers, that comes out on frame 6, and btw, dsmash is something that imo is overlooked as marth, it's his quickest smash, and it tips pretty easily. Can kill pretty well too, so don't count it out of the discussion

iRJi

Smash Champion
The after lag is horrid for Dsmash, thats why marths over look it. its still usable though.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
By all means, yes, it has horrible afterlag, but the rewards for it are arguably better than DS, since even though it isn't as safe, it kills at possibly the earliest reliably. Some will try it after a few dtilts if they think their opponent will be crazy enough to roll into them, or after some grab or DB baiting shenanigans, and overall, this move is prolly a better kill move than fsmash for marth. (tippered front hit will kill at 98%, which is like snake utilt).

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
This just makes me want to play better Marths, Obviously if I'm beating them with little to no problems, they aren't very good.

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
Couple things after a quick glance.

Also, dair is cool, but borderline situational and not going to be used too often unless you are using poor, predictable recovery habits.
Edit: Fair autocancels iirc, just as long as you aren't on the very end of the animation, and even then, the lag is very minimal.
All true. Fair does cancel and can easily lead into more traps and tech chases. And unless your recovery is extremely predictable, you probably won't be seeing dair much. If you recover low, Marth can go for the stage spike.

If you don't sweetspot the edge prepare to get uber punished.

play defensive unless your able to get inside marth(by inside i mean being able to jab him)
Don't rely on this; it won't happen often against a good Marth. Even then, what are you going to do? Jab? Marth can easily fair your tech chase and reset the situation to neutral. That is if he doesn't call your jab cancel and you eat a dolphin slash to the face. Ftilt is too slow when you're this close and utilt might work...for a bit.

dair'ing early and using the lag of his retaliation to dair him again, but hit this time.
It's really not hard to see this coming, seeing as how every Lucario does it and his dair is well known to be his best move. Reverse the lag situation, only it's better for Marth since his uair has more range (iirc). Marth is one of the best jugglers in the game, even against Lucario's awesome dair. Dair spam won't work, play smart. Also remember Marth doesn't have to juggle with uair, utilt outranges dair too.

an offstage marth is a marth that's in trouble against us
If you're smart.

we can chain 2 or 3 FPs before he can upb our face, what i like to do is just shield after the 2nd FP and see what he does, which is almost always upb in my experience.... now look how vulnerable he is!
Not sure about this. Has it been tested? Good Marths play smart and know how to read opponents. If it's obvious a DS is coming and you shield, you might get grabbed. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure Marth can DS right out of the chaingrab immediately. This only works at lower percents too since you can DI out of it at higher ones iirc.

Do you feel Lucario has an advantage in any particular scenario of this matchup?
KO power, marth will have trouble killing us if he does not land down a tipped fsmash
Marth's smashes are punishers, not killers. You can quickly get to higher percents without even noticing it with DB chains and before you know it, tipped fair KO. Or utilt. Or uair. Or nair. Or bair.

his upB cant really KO up till a fair bit after 100%
See above.

usmash beats him from below, but it shouldnt be used much(be sure you will hit).
Marth is TERRIBLE when his opponent is beneath him. But usmash can be predictable and most people don't aim to land directly on top of you...Also, DB can stall in the air. Lingering hitboxes can be problematic though.

Do you feel the opponent can shut down aspects of Lucario's game?
somewhat, AS appears to be a pain in the arse for marth
Eh. Jab + PS = not a big problem.

we cant really shut down his air game due to inferior range
Yeah.

Counterpicks? What to avoid and what to enforce?
stay away from battle field at all costs, its called marthland for a reason.
I love Battlefield =D

It's a pretty big deal for Marth I think, considering if he's just throwing you, you take 4%, and at higher percents that grab doesn't set up into anything.
Marths grabs aren't used for damage, they're used for setups. You might not worry about the 4%, but then you take another ~17% from DB. At higher percents, grabs can be used for pummels to refresh his moves and Marth will put you where he wants to.

Grab --> pummel --> throw off stage --> fresh tipped fair.

Also, him being above you = **** time. Marth has relatively few options that are effective below him, since fair has bad vertical range, dair/AD is very punishable in juggling, and counter just doesn't hit below him much. So if you get him above you, uair or bait a dair/AD, then attack with either uair or double jump -> dair.
Baiting the AD is probably the best option.

Oh and if you mean dsmash Timbers, that comes out on frame 6, and btw, dsmash is something that imo is overlooked as marth, it's his quickest smash, and it tips pretty easily. Can kill pretty well too, so don't count it out of the discussion
It works wonders OoS, which is usually how it's used.

That's all for now. I honestly haven't read everything carefully, so I'll look it over some more later.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
For those who don't know it now, FPCG can be broken out of like a normal grab if your opponent mashes enough and anticipates another one (aka, DS won't even need to be used, you can practically do DB after breaking free if he doesn't shield/roll out of the way, since lucario's fastest viable move is jab which comes out on frame 6).

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
For those who don't know it now, FPCG can be broken out of like a normal grab if your opponent mashes enough and anticipates another one (aka, DS won't even need to be used, you can practically do DB after breaking free if he doesn't shield/roll out of the way, since lucario's fastest viable move is jab which comes out on frame 6).
Even better, more punishment.

There really isn't much else to say about this matchup, it's all pretty much been discussed -_-

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
For those who don't know it now, FPCG can be broken out of like a normal grab if your opponent mashes enough and anticipates another one
you guys seriously blow this way out of proportion, i have NEVER EVER seen anyone break out of a FPCG at all, by anyone at any level of play. no one has ever broken out of a FPCG ive ever done on them either... its alot harder to break out of it then you guys say it is... i cant even break out of it and i main Lucario.... yet i find falco's and even ICs(but not nearly to the same extent) easier to get out of then FP.
last im gonna ever say on this

Timbers

check me out
you guys seriously blow this way out of proportion, i have NEVER EVER seen anyone break out of a FPCG at all, by anyone at any level of play. no one has ever broken out of a FPCG ive ever done on them either... its alot harder to break out of it then you guys say it is... i cant even break out of it and i main Lucario....
It doesn't matter if you main Lucario, it's all dependent on your reaction time and ability to mash a grab. Take the time to watch or play some players of a higher caliber and you'll see how easy it is for some people to escape.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
you guys seriously blow this way out of proportion, i have NEVER EVER seen anyone break out of a FPCG at all, by anyone at any level of play. no one has ever broken out of a FPCG ive ever done on them either... its alot harder to break out of it then you guys say it is... i cant even break out of it and i main Lucario.... yet i find falco's and even ICs(but not nearly to the same extent) easier to get out of then FP.
I don't think you guys really understand...

It's EASY to button mash out of an FP chain AS LONG as you are UNDER 25%. After that it becomes impossible for a human player.

Go test it in a slow brawl or in slow training mode. Put the opponent's health up to 18% or so, forcepalm them, then mash the other controller's buttons and sticks as fast as you can.

At 1/4 the speed, you'll easily escape force palm most of the time.

If a Lucario fpgrabs you at 2%, if you button mash immediately, you WILL break out by the 2nd or 3rd fp. It's not like the opponent won't be expecting ech fp in the chain.

And after a grab breakout there's plenty of time for the breakee to see that they've broken out and stop pressing buttons, so no, a good player won't accidentally do an attack after breaking out.
Taken from http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178969

Popertop

Smash Champion
T-rex broke out of it when he and Rockettrainer played in our crew battle at LowBo(low tier HOBO)

it's just like super mashing out of a regular grab.

edit: he was at 17% btw

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
i tell people i fight how to break out of Fp Chains but i dont use them. its dumb. just FP fair nair then fp again. i usually try to save FP for a kill move though its a good mixup

Timbers

check me out
I've seen it broken as late as early 30s, and considering FPCG doesn't work on a vast majority of the cast after 30, it's usually not something to keep in mind, and the characters it does work on past 30 usually (usually meaning everyone except ganondorf) have some way of either making it nearly impossible to get in close without taking extreme punishment (example Snake, DDD) or have 1frame moves to retaliate against a dash FP (example Wolf)

FP>fair>dair or FP>fair>nair are much better anyways.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Or my favorite (sort of): A FP -> ftilt, then fair stuff then repeat or mix it up.
Generally this inability to FPCG doesn't really hurt our ability to string, as most who are able to escape FP are generally non-stringable anyways. Just means you have to be more creative with strings/combos (depending on chars).

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
Usually people see an anticipation of a chaingrab, on characters that arent hit by it(kind of a reaction to what most luc's do)I usually mindgame them I'm going INTO a Force Palm CG, and in fact smash them in thier anticipation(in marth's case, shield, since Dolphin Slash breaks the whole CG)

Timbers

check me out
Marth doesn't have to dolphin slash out of the CG lol. He can break it easily, as the CG doesn't work past like 20% on him.

Top Bottom