• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
It means people have won or done well in tournaments with Ganon more than the lower characters, even though the lower characters are better characters. Likewise, Pit places quite poorly in tournaments considering how excellent of a character he is.

FD96

Smash Cadet
Alright guys, I have learned most of the basics about donkey kong, I know how to use most of his attacks. What should I learn now?

ook

Smash Lord
I would probably learn to time the super armor on the punch and up-b. Mostly the punch, cause it makes killing easier and can save you from dying a lot.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Alright guys, I have learned most of the basics about donkey kong, I know how to use most of his attacks. What should I learn now?
Cool, now that basics are out of the way you'll want to learn when to use certain attacks, and when not to use certain attacks vs each individual character.
You'll also want to learn which of DK's attacks beat out X characters attacks and so on.

This either comes to you in time, or if you're eager enough, mass amounts of practice in a short period of time and a lot of reading and frame data analyzing etc.

I'm personally just going with the flow, as I always do. No need to rush as I always say. I'm at the same stage as you basically.

tl;dr

Just practice a lot and get to know DK's match ups.

YooY

Smash Cadet
This is for Luigi_player, did you guy use dk at Bushido Brawl Impact? I couldn't attend so sad... But good stuff in teams and single

Schtizzel

Smash Cadet
I'm going to a big tournament in germany in 2 weeks (BiB HYPE) but i am not so comfortable with stage banning and striking. Could you give me a short chart on which stages i should take a char and which i schould strike against a char?

crifer

Smash Lord
I'm going to a big tournament in germany in 2 weeks (BiB HYPE) but i am not so comfortable with stage banning and striking. Could you give me a short chart on which stages i should take a char and which i schould strike against a char?
hey :-)
you probably know me from german smash boards, there you´ll find my icq nr., we can talk a little bit about stages, MU´s and other stuff. Add me ;-)

YooY

Smash Cadet
I'll attend if can find some players who want to go by car.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
How many times do you guys attempt a CSS? Or just how often do you think you guys use it? Like when you grab obviously 8/10 of the time we cargo, then do you guys go for the CSS?

I for one never use it. I always cargo to dthrow the CSS just seems unreliable.

ook

Smash Lord
If I grab near the edge and they have enough % to try it... I always go for it. Even if it doesn't work every time, the payoff when it does work is too good. You can delay the throw a little to try to mess up their tech. I'd say it works about a third of the time, which is surprisingly good.

And really the chance of following up a cargo dthrow is... even more unreliable.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
I go for the CSS quite a bit, especially if i am near the edge and i can do it really quick. Or if I am on smashville, i do it. Because on SV you can throw them under the stage completely, and edgehodge for the gimp.

Or Lylat, cause that CSS is beast.

EDIT: Also, CSS mind games on JJ is too good. There are atleast 4 different CSS on that stage. So if your opponent is expecting one of them and you a different one, they go for a nice swim, while we all know that DK swims like Micheal Phelps so no problems there.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
My brother always techs the CSS, and then footstools me. The cargo to Dthrow puts you in an advantageous position as opposed to the CSS if they tech.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hellu DK Boards, you might be seeing me a lot here in the next little while asking questions about your character and how they perform on a certain stage.
Character boards seem to cycle through incomplete MU threads to new ones in hope to update them and finally complete them. This is the R.O.B. Boards attempt at completing a sufficient stage-discussion thread and I'm going to try my best to get accurate and thorough information, but I'll need your help. This will be the only question with an introductory. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that if you guys need info on anything for R.O.B. don't hesitate asking. ^_^

Anywho!

Q: How does DK fair off on Delfino Plaza in general and against R.O.B.. Why is it good or bad? What can DK abuse and what might possibly annoy you that R.O.B. can do on this stage? On a scale of 1 - 10, what do you see DK's chances of doing well on this stage against R.O.B. 1 being the worst for you 10 being the best.

thanks guys =]
<beep3

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Q: How does DK fair off on Delfino Plaza in general and against R.O.B.. Why is it good or bad? What can DK abuse and what might possibly annoy you that R.O.B. can do on this stage? On a scale of 1 - 10, what do you see DK's chances of doing well on this stage against R.O.B. 1 being the worst for you 10 being the best.
DK I think he ***** him lol. But seriously the better CP for R.O.B would be RC. DK cargos and jumps into the water, and gets a free spike. The short/walk off parts of the stage are also good for DK, easy grab finishes. So DK has the advantage on 6/9 parts of the stage. The part with the high pillars of land above the water I give to R.O.B since he can camp like crazy. On top the shine has a lot of space for R.O.B to move around and camp. The section that has is closest to the beach on the left of the map benefits R.O.B imo since he can easily control the middle and keep DK close to the edges. The moving platform is confusing to cause at times it helps DK, and sometimes it doesn't. I'll try my best and explain lol.
................----------
---------
===========
This one is bad for DK imo.

\ .............. /
.\ .===== ./
..\ .........../
===========
Helps DK my favorite out of them all
..-------------------
-/ .........................\-
......-----------
===============
And this one is also very good for DK.

I'm basing them off of how DK recovers and how good DK can control as opposed to R.O.B. Hopefully they don't confuse you guys.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
^ Thats really confusing lol

Maybe you should post pics instead of making them lol

and Welcome to the DK boards Mister Eric

I will agree, with Kosa. I think DK can out play R.O.B. on Delfino, the water parts help DK a lot. Yes, ROB can camp on some parts of the stage and can shark a bit on the floating platform, but I do think that will help him all that much. IMO ROB's camp game is not hard to get around, and if we get hit....well just go look at Ook's sig and you will figure it out. lol

Using the platform we can also run away and stay away from ROB on the transformations that ROB is good on.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
The only main platform layout bad for DK is the one with two horizontal platforms at slighty different lengths, because R.O.B can easily control those platforms make it tough to recover.

Kaoculus

Smash Cadet
herro

two quick questions please
1) What's the best option for getting back to the stage when you're on the ledge? uair if they're too close, air dodge, or what?
2) I can't do the dthrow to dtilt to pound. It never seems to work for me. Does it only work for some characters?

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
two quick questions please
1) What's the best option for getting back to the stage when you're on the ledge? uair if they're too close, air dodge, or what?
2) I can't do the dthrow to dtilt to pound. It never seems to work for me. Does it only work for some characters?
1) @ > 100% You can't really go wrong. Getup attack if they are close, it's really fast. Roll if they are going to attack the edge. Press towards the stage on the control stick aka normal getup is also really fast. And jump if you want to attack from the air. @ < 100% It's kind of tricky, getup attack is useless and the roll is predictable. Normal getup is okay but don't always do it. ledge drop jump uair/nairs are good. Jumping off the ledge is still good. And my favorite, do a quartercircle starting away from the stage to up and hit b. This will do a ledge grab upb and if you aim it right it will land laglessly.
2) Dthrow to angled up ftilt is the best thing to do imo. It spaces better and punishes bad DI. Dthrow to dtilt I think only works against heavies that DI down.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Also dtilt has a lot of options other than downb. Grabs and pivot grabs,upb, and tilts are great options.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
DK doesn't struggle as much when he's under 100 percent on the ledge, but when he's over 100 percent, alot of his options are much much slower. So what do you guys think DK should do?

I think Will told me just to stall until they give you an opening.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Lagless upb. Uair can hit sometimes through BF and SV. Nair I guess works. And his jump from ledge is not to bad, stalling wouldn't make sense, cause they we just wait patiently. But with that said I have planked for forty seconds with DK it was actually pretty solid, and I gimped the opponent tried to get me off before time ran out.

YooY

Smash Cadet
Do you guys know if Dair is really more effective for DI than Bair when you have a vertical trajectory?

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Your aerial does nothing but allow you to ff earlier. Your best bet is to do a bair and then ff asap. But don't mash the cstick during a hit will make you SDI and at times can kill you sooner. Also dairs don't FF when you are rising, when you sh input a dair on the cstick immediately and DK will still ascend.

What I have seen players do though, is bair then rapidly do bairs or uairs to build momentum it looks like it works and it saves the jump.

EDIT: I will also add that ChaosGriffin's DI thread does say to do dairs when hit vertical.

YooY

Smash Cadet
Thanks I saw chaosgriffin's thread but i wonder if dair's ff is more powerfull than bair's ff

Luigi player

Smash Master
Thanks I saw chaosgriffin's thread but i wonder if dair's ff is more powerfull than bair's ff
Dairs fastfall is one frame faster than if you fastfall with an other aerial. So you might live 1 % longer or something...

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
I doubt it, dair is supposed to do the ff and aerial in one motion, so if you could input the bair and ff just as well as the dair method you be in a better position. I always bair so I don't get punished for lag, I usually live to 150% on average, I almost never upb brake.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Dair has fastfall input when you are in the air, the only way it does not have fastfall input is if you were already holding down before you do the Dair. The Dair is easier to do, but bair ff gets you pretty much the same results. However, you should not do the dair to DI if you are fighting Pika, cause you WILL eat lightning. That is really the only character you have to worry about that can punish your lag for Dair.

Also Kosa!, the up b break helps and has saved me sooo many times. But if you dont like just falling helplessly then you can always do the b reverse headbutt, its what i started to do cause i got annoyed at always getting hit after i up b. But just make sure that you do not do the b reverse headbutt when you are hit straight up, cause doing the b reverse gives a vertical boost.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Reverse Headbutts, everytime I logout it seems like there is a new term for a move.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
IMO ROB's camp game is not hard to get around
I agree XD, that's why I play a very flashy, in-your-face R.O.B. =P

Thanks a bunch to both of you<3

If anyone else has something to add, please feel free. It would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom