• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Remember: Be hopeful, but don't overdo it. Don't treat anyone as a lock, don't invest in "leaks," prepare for curveballs. This could be our time, but nothing is guaranteed with the unpredictability of Smash. Just a warning; I'm pretty optimistic, but it's better safe than sorry.
Yup! Never forget that there's literally hundreds of characters with plausible cases to get in. You really never know!

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
No, you all got it wrong. Its gonna be Reimu 100%.
And if, for some inplausible reason, Reimu should not be the one, the only rational course of action would be to get the pitch forks at the ready and complain on every possible board and/or social media platform very, very vocally.
Just remember, if she doesn't make it, it must be a Moriya Shrine conspiracy!

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
That was a great bamboozle! I love that some of the recent trailers have been specifically sassing fan expectations ("too many swordsmen?" and now "hey, I'm the main character, I'm supposed to be in!"). Guess this puts another stake through the heart of the Geno people with them skipping Rex, big oof. But it's great to get some more first-party and female characters, especially a 2 for 1 deal like this! I haven't played XB2 but I'm pretty excited.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I played through XB2 but I found it to be kinda medicore. JRPGs just aren't my thing. I just hope that they aren't that vocal in game. The english voice acting is a tad to cheesy for my taste.

Also, Hikari's boasting a bit more clothing than I remember. (I know why, don't worry)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I played through XB2 but I found it to be kinda medicore. JRPGs just aren't my thing. I just hope that they aren't that vocal in game. The english voice acting is a tad to cheesy for my taste.

Also, Hikari's boasting a bit more clothing than I remember. (I know why, don't worry)
Honestly I like her more clothing version, doesn't look bad at all

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Honestly I like her more clothing version, doesn't look bad at all
Me too! Great example of more tasteful fanservice actually ending up looking better. I wish anime games followed that philosophy more often!

EDIT:
Hmmm, I somehow missed that she was a stance-change dual fighter! Well, I don't know if that bodes well or poorly for the prospects of getting Reimu & Marisa together a la AOCF; it sets a nice precedent, but you'd also imagine that they wouldn't want to double-dip on the same gimmick during the same DLC cycle. Interesting stuff!

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, I somehow missed that she was a stance-change dual fighter! Well, I don't know if that bodes well or poorly for the prospects of getting Reimu & Marisa together a la AOCF; it sets a nice precedent, but you'd also imagine that they wouldn't want to double-dip on the same gimmick during the same DLC cycle. Interesting stuff!
I don't think we'd see a dual Touhou fighter. At most, there'd be a cameo in the Final Smash. It will be Reimu or Marisa alone, if anyone gets in at all.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't think we'd see a dual Touhou fighter. At most, there'd be a cameo in the Final Smash. It will be Reimu or Marisa alone, if anyone gets in at all.
Yup, I too doubt we'd see a duo fighter. With that said, thanks to AoCF and Marisa's status as really a co-protagonist it remains an outside possibility, so it's interesting to think about.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I mean, them as a Duo is the only feasable chance Marisa has to be playable in any way or form. Obviously very unlikely but we are already in the realm of dreams with the Shrine Maiden of Paradise, aren't we? I also like characters that can switch mid battle. Gonna have a lot of fun with our newest duo.

No news about AoCF as well which can only mean one thing: Next Direct will focus on that and announce with that Reimu as the next character baby! 100%

zriL

Smash Journeyman
xD I guess it was rather Byleth-tier than Terry-tier, but this time they understood their mistake with Byleth and put this in a general direct. In the end, not a very surprising pick since they said they wanted it in base game. I thought it would happen for base roster in the next game though. All in all, I'd say it's a good trade because I really don't like Rex design, I don't really like XBC2 designs in general but Rex is really the worst for me.

But that means yet another jrpg sword character, plus they don't look that much interesting besides the duo thing, but we'll see.

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
Not trying to be rude but man i'm dissapointed, Pyra was one of the only characters that i really didn't want in but eh, in general the direct was meh but i guess it's just me. Happy for the people that wanted Pyra and she might have a cool moveset, but not really my thing.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
did the JP direct show any touhous?
Nope, no Touhous. But still a few JP exclusives.

Hope the Direct was allright for everyone.
I think it was okay. Nothing too exciting.
If you ever feel bad about Pyra, just remember that her inclusion at least means that they might add "Roaming the Wastes" Mor Ardain, to the music list. :)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
i am wondering something

when DID ZUN make that "i'd like to see Reimu in Smash" comment?

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Biggest highlights of the Direct were Mario Golf, No More Heroes 3 and the bull**** sike with the BOTW2 thing
Not trying to be that guy but I honestly think that the possibility of getting Reimu is starting to fade away and I was always pretty confident in her chances... there's no way we're gonna get a third female DLC character when there are only 2 spots left before it ends...
Don't care whatsoever about Pyra/Xenoblade, I would have preferred KOS-MOS/Xenosaga way more! Here's hoping that we won't get costume'd in the next presentation... here's hoping that they won't kill a wanted character of mine for the 3rd time in a row
like that's ever gonna happen

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Biggest highlights of the Direct were Mario Golf, No More Heroes 3 and the bull**** sike with the BOTW2 thing
Not trying to be that guy but I honestly think that the possibility of getting Reimu is starting to fade away and I was always pretty confident in her chances... there's no way we're gonna get a third female DLC character when there are only 2 spots left before it ends...
Don't care whatsoever about Pyra/Xenoblade, I would have preferred KOS-MOS/Xenosaga way more! Here's hoping that we won't get costume'd in the next presentation... here's hoping that they won't kill a wanted character of mine for the 3rd time in a row
like that's ever gonna happen
"There's no way we're going to get a 3rd female character" (4th, really, since Pyra/Mythra are technically two) is just more pattern-based thinking that's not actually rooted in any empirical reality. People would have said that there was no way we'd get a villain from a 3rd party series, and then hey presto, here's Sephiroth. Fan rules are just that, fan rules - Big N and Sakurai can and will do whatever they like with little regard for the patterns we've come up with.

Reimu is unlikely because she's always been unlikely; I don't think this has negatively or positively impacted her chances for the remaining slots in any way.

sessian

Smash Rookie
Reimu is, was, and always will be an outside chance, unfortunately. Same is true for most individual character hopefuls, honestly. Don't let hanging out on this thread cloud your perception of that.

But that's why it's fun to hope! If it comes true, it's such a big rush. Some combination of Rex/Pyra/Mythra was one of my top most wanted (More XB2 music! Torna music!) but it was a bit "safer" and so not as exciting as a left fielder would be.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Reimu is, was, and always will be an outside chance, unfortunately. Same is true for most individual character hopefuls, honestly. Don't let hanging out on this thread cloud your perception of that.

But that's why it's fun to hope! If it comes true, it's such a big rush. Some combination of Rex/Pyra/Mythra was one of my top most wanted (More XB2 music! Torna music!) but it was a bit "safer" and so not as exciting as a left fielder would be.
I disagree. Reimu always had a good shot and still does. Just never a certain one.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I disagree. Reimu always had a good shot and still does. Just never a certain one.
Admittedly, that's a lot of characters and not just Reimu. But that is a genuine good thing in her favor. A good, uncertain chance is a lot better than a low or "impossible" chance. And with her support growing, even if she doesn't make it in FP2 then a hypothetical FP3 or Smash 6 means she just goes up some spots since a lot of other names have already gotten in already.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Touhou 17.5 releasing this upcoming Reitaisai on March 21

Top Bottom