• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What's even more weird about Sakurai's tweet besides "houhou". The rest of the tweet refer to information about smash bros, it reads like that in Japanese :
“Suma bura” no jōhō ga aru to
So the only word that is not "smash bros" or a verb/conjunction is "jouhou", which means "information", and it also rhymes with Touhou with only one different letter.
That's too on-the-nose. All the hints we've gotten are extremely vague, like Sakurai having "red eyes" before the August direct (Bloody Tears or K.Rool's eye), or saying to turn up the volume at TGA (One-Winged Angel). Heck, he's gone as far as to hint towards Byleth with the number 17 in binary. Whatever he's hinting at, it not going to be laid out in front of us just like that.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
At this point, it's almost too obvious, especially from a japanese perspective, when google reads it, it sounds even more obvious. I wonder what Japanese people think about this.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
At this point, it's almost too obvious, especially from a japanese perspective, when google reads it, it sounds even more obvious. I wonder what Japanese people think about this.
According to a guy on gamefaqs: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/79298215?page=5#57

The prevailing Japanese (joke?) theory seems to be ほうほう -> とうほう (Touhou) -> Reimu.
Other joke interpretations I've seem are ほうほう -> うほうほ (monkey/ape sounds) -> Rillaboom.
And as I said, ほうほう is also an owl sound, so I've seen jokes about Hoothoot, Kaepora Gaebora, the owl from Link's Awakening and yes, Decidueye.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
That's too on-the-nose. All the hints we've gotten are extremely vague, like Sakurai having "red eyes" before the August direct (Bloody Tears or K.Rool's eye), or saying to turn up the volume at TGA (One-Winged Angel). Heck, he's gone as far as to hint towards Byleth with the number 17 in binary. Whatever he's hinting at, it not going to be laid out in front of us just like that.
Yes I feel too, but remember that it shouldn't sound fishy at all for someone who doesn't expect Touhou. It sounds obvious only because we're looking into it.

Also there is a difference this time, maybe he actually wants to hype Touhou fans in advance because he knows Touhou is less well-known and it would be a way to make the reception better if there are more Touhou fans watching the stream.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, at this rate, I'm so confident that Reimu's in this pass that I literally took the time to write source text for a majority of Touhou-related articles for the Smash wiki ready to post. I'm just that prepared for that event.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I'm gonna give my honest though on the "houhou" thing right now: It's not hinting towards Reimu or something Touhou related, it's most likely just something that Sakurai said, and if it is an hint, then we're not reading nearly deep enough (see how the thumbnail for Byleth's presentation had Sakurai do the sign for 17 in binary, which was an hint for 3 Houses as it was the 17th mainline FE game).

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Another small thing in favor of Touhou. A general direct is a better place to reveal a less known character rather than a smash direct, because there will be a lot other content, maybe very hype stuff. So if people are a bit salty about Smash, the direct will probably still have a good reception thanks to stuff like Zelda, Metroid, etc.
That was the main issue with Byleth, Byleth was disappointing for a lot of people and it was the only thing in the presentation.

The other most risky characters were probably Joker, Terry and Min Min but :
  • Joker was announced around the game's release, so nobody would be salty over any character at that moment, plus it was a surprise reveal
  • Terry was revealed in the previous Nintendo Direct (September 2019), and Terry is really the same kind of "niche" character as Reimu
  • Min Min / ARMS was revealed in a general mini direct, the only "general direct" of last year

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
With the usual caveat that hunting through Sakurai's words is almost always fruitless and it's definitely not gonna be Reimu:
memed-io-output(1).jpeg

That feel when Sakurai tweets "The next Super Smash Bros. character will be Hakurei Reimu from Touhou Project" the night before the Direct and it's actually Crash.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I personally don't feel that Sakurai's tweet means anything. I think it's just Sakurai doing some playful alliteration.
Based on his past tweets, I think it does mean something, but it's also really vague and obscure and we won't realize what it is until after the reveal. Either way, we shouldn't look to deeply into it.

Soulor

Smash Cadet
You know... it almost looks like a character is "T" posing in sak-o-rye's tweet...

Hmmmm.... Could it be?

RUMIA CONFIRMED!?

* But seriously, what If 17.5 was pushed back to be polished up and released on the Switch? That'd be krayzee. Would you guys say it's newcomer friendly? Can be enjoyed without playing older entries? Still too soon to tell?

It's art style for this entry, and possibly it's game mechanics, would sure appeal to those unfamiliar with the series. The music as well but that goes without saying!

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
You know... it almost looks like a character is "T" posing in sak-o-rye's tweet...

Hmmmm.... Could it be?

RUMIA CONFIRMED!?

* But seriously, what If 17.5 was pushed back to be released on the Switch? That'd be krayzee. Would you guys say it's newcomer friendly? Can be enjoyed without playing older entries? Still too soon to tell?

It's art style for this entry, and possibly it's game mechanics, would sure appeal to those unfamiliar with the series. The music as well but that goes without saying!
I hope Rumia doesn't make it in!

Last edited:

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
guys, I have a theory...

This is Genso Wander, a Touhou game trailer which Nintendo casually released before.
and of course, we already know that AoCF is coming to Switch this spring.

However, there's no any AoCF related trailer on Nintendo YouTube channel yet. (even in Nintendo JP Channel)

thus, the coming up Direct must have AoCF trailer in it.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
guys, I have a theory...

This is Genso Wander, a Touhou game trailer which Nintendo casually released before.
and of course, we already know that AoCF is coming to Switch this spring.

However, there's no any AoCF related trailer on Nintendo YouTube channel yet. (even in Nintendo JP Channel)

thus, the coming up Direct must have AoCF trailer in it.
I mean... It doesn't have to. It would be nice, though.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Phoenixx (the publishers of Genso Wanderer, Lotus Labyrinth, Azure Reflections, Gensokyo Defenders, Mechanical Scrollery, Touhou Labyrinth 2, Luna Nights and now Antimony of Common Flowers) did actually retweet a Famitsu article regarding the upcoming Nintendo Direct.
Take that however you will.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
We were wondering if the hint would be too obvious for a hint, then Papagenos talked about it during his stream and he was very close to not mentioning Touhou as it was mentioned last after dozens of other theories. So it really not that obvious as a hint.

Funny new addition to this theory, in today's tweet. Sakurai is affirming there is no hints in his tweets, it doesn't mean much because it could go both ways, it could be true, but it could also be something someone giving secrets hints should say and would say, especially the way he says it. Anyways, in that tweet he uses the word "toukou", which means "post". I think it's pretty funny, now I'm wondering if those Touhou-sounding words are really that common in japanese.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We were wondering if the hint would be too obvious for a hint, then Papagenos talked about it during his stream and he was very close to not mentioning Touhou as it was mentioned last after dozens of other theories. So it really not that obvious as a hint.

Funny new addition to this theory, in today's tweet. Sakurai is affirming there is no hints in his tweets, it doesn't mean much because it could go both ways, it could be true, but it could also be something someone giving secrets hints should say and would say, especially the way he says it. Anyways, in that tweet he uses the word "toukou", which means "post". I think it's pretty funny, now I'm wondering if those Touhou-sounding words are really that common in japanese.
are there any words for "post" that DON'T rhyme with Touhou?

zriL

Smash Journeyman
are there any words for "post" that DON'T rhyme with Touhou?
I might not be knowledgeable enough in japanese for this but there is at least the word for "tweet" which should be "tsuitto". Then I looked a bit for another and I found "kakiko", though I don't know if it's actually commonly used or not.

And anyways, he could have said other things like "no matter what I say" (instead of "post"), he wasn't even forced to post about "posting". Just like with "jouhou", he didn't really need to repeat the fact that there was Smash "information".

Last edited:

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
It hurts, i want to get rational since we probably won't see Reimu later today... but man i think we might get her.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Phoenixx (the publishers of Genso Wanderer, Lotus Labyrinth, Azure Reflections, Gensokyo Defenders, Mechanical Scrollery, Touhou Labyrinth 2, Luna Nights and now Antimony of Common Flowers) did actually retweet a Famitsu article regarding the upcoming Nintendo Direct.
Take that however you will.
Have they done so regarding past directs?

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I do like how even if Reimu isn't the character confirmed today, the mere fact people are seriously placing bets on her is a good sign on how far support of her has come and how people are taking her seriously now. We still have people who dismiss her for being "niche" or "Literal Who" or some other weird stuff but I am seeing people genuinely, seriously placing their money that she's the character to be shown today.

Even if she isn't the character for today, it's a very good sign if the fanbase warmed up to the point of speculating her as one of the potential characters on a direct.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Whoever it is tonight, I believe it's going to be a Terry-tier curveball, that's why I think Reimu has a decent chance.

Among the other most talked about candidates, I'd say Hayabusa is the one that works best for that profile. He was a big icon back then but the franchise is a bit dead currently. Without the many rumors around him, maybe he wouldn't have been mentioned as much. I still think he lacks uniqueness or a gimmick for a DLC, but Banjo and Terry weren't that much unique so it's probably fine. He is also a pretty good mii sword material so that could happen as well.

But then again, if it's a curveball, it could be once again someone that nobody expects but feels obvious in retrospect, like Sephiroth.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I genuinely believe we may get a "Niche" or Terry-esque pick simply because it'd be weird to have three big names back to back in terms of reveals here. Steve is a big name mostly due to Minecraft and Sephiroth is one of the most well known video game antagonists around. This feels like part of the pass where we may get a smaller character who is influential in their own right but not as big as the other two. We may still get a household name but it may not be right now. It may be after or at the end of the pass.

Reimu fits that bill but even if it isn't her, I am still going for a Terry-sized character. IMO she's the one that makes the most sense ATM.

Top Bottom